/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hiding the faith

glo
05-02-2006, 05:59 AM
I have come across at least a couple of young women in this forum, who have converted to Islam but have not told their parents.

Assuming that you are still living at home, I am interested to know how, in practical terms, you can keep it a secret?
How can you wear you hijab?
How can you complete your prayers?
How do you avoid haraam food?

I would also like to know what Islam says about such situations.
Presumably these young women fear a negative reaction from their parents and wider family. Is this viewed as being persecuted for your faith? In such cases is it okay to be a 'closet Muslim'?

Thanks, I'd be really interested to hear your replies.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umu 'Isa
05-02-2006, 06:37 AM
Yeah, im living at home with my mum and her partner. Although she knows I’ve converted, she won’t allow me to do anything islamic.. and jumps at any opportunity to insult islam and muslims.. which makes it real hard to keep my cool around her when shes like this..

How can you wear you hijab?
welll thats very hard to do, at home.. because i live with non mahrams.. i try to wear hoodies as much as possible lol or beanies.. when i go out i get dressed in my abaya and hijab in the garage n leave so no one can see me..

How can you complete your prayers?
in my room :) but i do it very quickly and i only do whats fardh. If i do miss a prayer, i make it up when everyone is sleeping.

How do you avoid haraam food?
this is what i find the hardest.. sometimes i dont eat at all at home.. my mum cooks pork deliberately.. just to annoy me.. or to get me out of this "phase"
and sometimes she will put wine or somethin in my food n not tell me about it.. so i try to make my own food

Islam says about such a position, one should move to a place where one can practise islam freely. Islam should not be a burden on them. So they should practise what they can. If something is not possible and they find themselves failing in an area, we trust that Allah understands insha Allah.

hope that made sense lol

extinction
05-02-2006, 06:47 AM
wow thanks for sharing ladee maryam how you encounter such problems its a interesting thing really... I pray that Allah s.w.t makes it easier for you in the future and that He guides your mother also......

Nafiisah
05-02-2006, 07:22 AM
May Allah help u.Pray that your difficulties are eased.Ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nafiisah
05-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Allah is Great and is always there for His creation. He nevers puts on our shoulders a burden which we cannot withstand. But each difficulty makes us grow stronger from within and increases our imaan

syilla
05-02-2006, 07:28 AM
wow... i admire your courage...

May Allah be with you always...

glo
05-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Thank you for your reply.

You must be very strong to keep to your faith despite such tensions and conflicts at home.

As a Christian mother I am sure I would find it very hard, if one of my children converted to Islam (or any other faith for that matter). Just because I strongly believe that it would be wrong choice.
But Christians believe that the choice to follow God must come from the heart, and that God prompts us to follow him.

Therefore your mother is wrong to undermine you in such ways!
And chances are she will not succeed.

Peace and blessings

------
05-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Therefore your mother is wrong to undermine you in such ways!
And chances are she will not succeed.
Very truly said!

glo
05-02-2006, 08:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nafiisah
Allah is Great and is always there for His creation. He nevers puts on our shoulders a burden which we cannot withstand. But each difficulty makes us grow stronger from within and increases our imaan
Interesting.
The Bible says something very similar! :)

------
05-02-2006, 08:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nafiisah
It says in the Qur'an, Chapter 2, Verse 286

"Allah places not a burden on any soul but to the extent of his strength."

And Allah swt knows best.

glo
05-02-2006, 08:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
Very truly said!
Well, I find that when people attack my faith, I only come away stronger! :)
(Although it may not seem like that at the actual time of conflict)

------
05-02-2006, 08:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Well, I find that when people attack my faith, I only come away stronger! :)
(Although it may not seem like that at the actual time of conflict)
Same here! If anyone attacks my faith I defend it with my life!

Peace! :D

glo
05-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Are there any other Muslims who are having to keep their faith secret here, who would like to share?

Peace,

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.