/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Prophet (saw) married ‘Aa’ishah for the Benefit of Islam & Humanity

madeenahsh
05-02-2006, 06:27 AM
The Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) married ‘Aa’ishah for the Benefit of Islam & Humanity
Let’s analyse…

The Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) married widows and elder women - the majority were older women and widows. He only married one young girl (apart of Maria), who is ‘Aa’ishah. Why? Because she was an exception! Why? Read the following:

1. The Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) married ‘Aa’ishah primarily for three reasons:

a. To reinforce the friendly relations already existing with Abu Bakr (his closest companion).

b. To educate and train ‘Aa’ishah for the purposes of Islaam.

c. To utilise her capabilities for the sake of Islaam.

2. Her Marriage with the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) was a Wahy (Divine Revelation). She, herself relates from the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam):

“He said: ‘I saw you in dreams three times. The angel brought you to me and you were clad in white silk. He (the angel) said that it was your consort and he (angel) showed me by opening your face. You are just like that’.” (Saheeh Muslim, Vol. 2, P. 285)

3. ‘Aa’ishah was born after her parents had embraced Islaam. Therefore, she was free from the defilement of polytheism right from her birth.

4. In her youth, already known for her striking beauty and her formidable memory, she came under the loving care and attention of the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) himself. As his wife and close companion she acquired from him knowledge and insight such as no woman has ever acquired.

’Aa’ishah lived on almost fifty years after the passing away of the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). She had been his wife for a decade. Much of this time was spent in learning and acquiring knowledge of the two most important sources of God's guidance, the Qur’aan and the Sunnah of His Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). ‘Aa’ishah was one of the three wives the other two being Hafsah and Umm Salama who memorised the Revelation. Like Hafsah, she had her own script of the Qur’aan written after the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) had died.

So far as the Hadeeth or sayings of the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) is concerned, ‘Aa’ishah is one of four persons (the others being Abu Hurayrah, ‘Abdullaah ibn ‘Umar and ‘Anas ibn Maalik) who transmitted more than two thousand sayings. From her, 2210 Hadeeth have come, out of which 174 Hadeeth are commonly agreed upon by both Bukhaaree and Muslim.

Many of her transmissions pertain to some of the most intimate aspects of personal behaviour which only someone in ‘Aa’ishah’s position could have learnt. What is most important is that her knowledge of Hadeeth was passed on in written form by at least three persons including her nephew ‘Urwah who became one of the greatest scholars among the generation after the Companions.

It is the claim of the Scholars of Islaam that without her, half of the Ilm-ul-Hadeeth [knowledge, understanding of the Hadeeth (and Islaam)] would have perished.

5. Many of the learned companions of the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) and their followers benefited from ‘Aa’ishah’s knowledge. Abu Moosaa al-Ash’aree once said:

“If we companions of the Messenger of God had any difficulty on a matter, we asked ‘Aa’ishah about it.”

Yahya related to me from Maalik from Yahya ibn Said from Said ibn al-Musayyab that Abu Moosaa al-Ash’aree came to ‘Aa’ishah, the wife of the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) and said to her:

“The disagreement of the companions in a matter which I hate to bring before you has distressed me." She said: “What is that? You did not ask your mother about it, so ask me.” He said: "A man penetrates his wife, but becomes listless and does not ejaculate." She said: “When the circumcised part passes the circumcised part ghusl is obligatory.” Aboo Moosaa added: “I shall never ask anyone about this after you.” (Al-Muwatta of Imaam Maalik, Hadeeth 2:75)

Arwa bin Zubair said:

“I did not find anyone more proficient [than ‘Aa’ishah] in the knowledge of the Holy Qur’aan, the Commandments of Halal (lawful) and Haram (prohibited), Ilm-ul-Ansab and Arabic poetry. That is why, even senior companions of the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) used to consult ‘Aa’ishah in resolving intricate issued.” (Ibn Qayyim and Ibn Sa’ad, Jala-ul-Afham, Vol. 2, P. 26)

Abu Moosaa al-Ash’aree said:

“Never had we (the companions) had any difficulty for the solution of which we approached ‘Aa’ishah and did not get some useful information from her.” (Siraat-I-‘Aa’ishah, on the authority of Tirmidhee, P. 163)

6. As a teacher she had a clear and persuasive manner of speech and her power of oratory has been described in superlative terms by al-Ahnaf who said:

“I have heard speeches of Abu Bakr and ‘Umar, ‘Uthmaan and ‘Alee and the Khulafa up to this day, but I have not heard speech more persuasive and more beautiful from the mouth of any person than from the mouth of ‘Aa’ishah.”

The Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:

“The superiority of 'Aa’ishah to other ladies is like the superiority of Tharid (i.e. meat and bread dish) to other meals. Many men reached the level of perfection, but no woman reached such a level except Mary, the daughter of Imran and Asia, the wife of Pharaoh.” (Saheeh al-Bukhaaree, Hadeeth, Narrated by Abu Moosaa al-Ash’aree, Hadeeth 4:643)

Moosaa ibn Talha said:

“I did not see anyone more eloquent than ‘Aa’ishah.” (Mustadrak of Hakim, Vol.4, P.11)

7. Men and women came from far and wide to benefit from her knowledge.

’Aa’ishah's great interest in the study of the Qur’aan is understandable. She was an eye-witness to a number of revelations and had therefore a clear idea of the circumstances in which they were revealed. It was on her bed alone (and no other consort's) that the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) received Wahy (Divine Revelations) several times. This helped her in interpreting the verses.

8. At the time of the Prophet's (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) death, the Prophet's (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) head was on her lap. It was in her quarters that the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) was buried.

The life of ‘Aa’ishah is a proof that a woman can be far more learned than men and that she can be the teacher of scholars and experts. Her life is also a proof that a woman can exert influence over men and women and provide them with inspiration. ‘Aa’ishah is a continuing inspiration and role model to today's youth who are diligently searching for an example amongst the pop stars, movie actresses and sports stars. May the memory of hers live forever in the heart of the Muslim Ummah and may Allah grant her the highest abode in Paradise. Aameen!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.