PDA

View Full Version : Would you lie to get your friends to stop fighting?



*noor
05-02-2006, 04:42 PM
I was just wondering..........

Would you lie to get your friends to stop fighting?

And yes, it is allowed by Islam to lie to create peace between two Muslims.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hijaabi22
05-02-2006, 04:45 PM
hmmmmm depends on the situation

but i think yeah if it meant no fightin and every1 was all lovey dovey happy dappy again

its called a white lie....ryt?
Reply

Kittygyal
05-02-2006, 04:45 PM
salam,

no i wouldn't cause lieing is NOT allowed and also one way or another they will find out!!!!
Reply

Sunflower
05-02-2006, 04:46 PM
well... if 2 of my friends were fihting really loud id SHOUT first to c if they quieten down so that they could at least b civil 2 each other...and lie? id prefer not 2 but if it was neceassary and had 2 i would i fynk:rollseyes
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
IbnAbdulHakim
05-02-2006, 04:46 PM
yes i wud :)
Reply

Nawal89
05-02-2006, 04:49 PM
i dont think so. If they found out it would be worse. When my friends fight i just watch.
Reply

*noor
05-02-2006, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=islamgyal;289600]salam,

no i wouldn't cause lieing is NOT allowed QUOTE]

there are some exceptions my sister.

from Untitled Document

Provisions for lying in Islam
Most Muslims are familiar with the principles of Islam that will justify lying in situations where they sense the need to do so. Among these are:

War is deception.
The necessities justify the forbidden.
If faced by two evils, choose the lesser of the two.
These principles are derived from passages found in the Quran and the Hadith.

In the Quran, Allah, allegedly, says:
" Allah will not call you to account for what is futile in your oaths, but He will call you to account for your deliberate oaths: for expiation, feed ten indigent persons, on a scale of the average for the food of your families; or clothe them; or give a slave his freedom. If that is beyond your means, fast for three days. That is the expiation for the oaths ye have sworn. But keep to your oaths. Thus doth Allah make clear to you His signs, that ye may be grateful." Surah 5:89

"Allah will not call you to account for thoughtlessness (vain) in your oaths, but for the intention in your hearts; and He is Oft-forgiving, Most Forbearing." Surah 2:225

"Any one who, after accepting faith in Allah, utters Unbelief, except under compulsion, his heart remaining firm in Faith - but such as open their breast to Unbelief, on them is Wrath from Allah, and theirs will be a dreadful Penalty." Surah 16: 106

The noted Islamic commentator, Al-Tabary explained Surah 16:106 as a verse that had been revealed to Mohammed after he learned that Ammar Ibn Yasser was forced to deny his faith in Mohammed when kidnapped by the Banu Moghera tribe. Mohammed consoled Ammar by telling him, "If they turned, you turn." (Meaning: if they again capture you, you are allowed to deny me again.)

These and similar passages from the Quran clearly reveal that Muslims' unintentional lies are forgivable and that even their intentional lies can be absolved by performing extra duties. It is also clear that if forced to do so, Muslims can lie while under oath and can even falsely deny faith in Allah, as long as they maintain the profession of faith in their hearts.

In the Hadith, Mohammed, emphasizes the same concept.

From "Ehiaa Oloum al-Din," by the famous Islamic scholar al-Ghazali, Vol. 3: PP.284-287:

One of Mohammed's daughters, Umm Kalthoum, testified that she had never heard the Apostle of God condone lying, except in these three situations:

For reconciliation among people.
In war.
Amongst spouses, to keep peace in the family.
One passage from the Hadith quotes Mohammed as saying: "The sons of Adam are accountable for all lies except those uttered to help bring reconciliation between Muslims."

Another says, "Aba Kahl, reconcile among people."(Meaning: even through lying.)

The following quote demonstrates the broadness of situations in which the prophet permitted lying. "The sons of Adam are accountable for all lies with these exceptions: During war because war is deception, to reconcile among two quarreling men, and for a man to appease his wife."
Reply

Nicola
05-02-2006, 04:51 PM
If lying is allowed in Islam...then there is no problem in lying.

I personally find lying to be a sin...my religion does also.


There is light in truth and darkness in lies. Lies lead to more lies...
Reply

Kittygyal
05-02-2006, 04:52 PM
erm.. sis at the end of the day we had a thread about lieing to your hubbys and wife but still i don't agree!!
Reply

Kittygyal
05-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Nicola
If lying is allowed in Islam...then there is no problem in lying.

I personally find lying to be a sin...my religion does also.


There is light in truth and darkness in lies. Lies lead to more lies...

salam,

that is so true thats what i believe too and lieing should NOT be allowed at all!!
Reply

Nicola
05-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by islamgyal
salam,

no i wouldn't cause lieing is NOT allowed and also one way or another they will find out!!!!
I know you say it is not allowed, and I believe it shouldn't be allowed

but why do so many say it is allowe...The Quran states it is allowed also..
just wondering :?

Do Muslims have to accept this being that the Quran proves lying is allowed.

I wouldn't lie...to stop friends fighting...I would insist that they speak the truth to one another...so everything is out in the open..and then they can discuss and patch things up from there.
Reply

*noor
05-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Nicola
If lying is allowed in Islam...then there is no problem in lying.

I personally find lying to be a sin...my religion does also.


There is light in truth and darkness in lies. Lies lead to more lies...
:)
yes, lying is a sin, but if we have an urgent reason, God willing, God will forgive us.

here's another example.......as muslims, we are not allowed to eat pork or drink alcohol......but say for instance, you are stranded somewhere and theres nobody there and you happen to find only those things, you can have a little.....enough to survive.............thats an urgent case.......and so is having your Muslim brother/sister fighting.

Peace.
Reply

Nicola
05-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by islamgyal
erm.. sis at the end of the day we had a thread about lieing to your hubbys and wife but still i don't agree!!
yes I remember it..lol

I expect the freedom of lying is there but you don't have to use it.?
Reply

Muslim Soldier
05-02-2006, 05:07 PM
I wouldnt lie just tell them thier mistakes, shout at them and force them to reconcile and at the end of the day, voila, they are friend again
Reply

Kittygyal
05-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Nicola
I know you say it is not allowed, and I believe it shouldn't be allowed

but why do so many say it is allowe...The Quran states it is allowed also..
just wondering :?

Do Muslims have to accept this being that the Quran proves lying is allowed.

I wouldn't lie...to stop friends fighting...I would insist that they speak the truth to one another...so everything is out in the open..and then they can discuss and patch things up from there.

salam,

sis that's what i say lieying is NOT just bad in islam but in other religions too.

and sis i don't know if it states it in the koran cause i can't read it and i am a revert :)

W.salam
Reply

*noor
05-02-2006, 06:26 PM
is there anyone here that would lie to stop thier friends from fighting?
Reply

Starseeker
05-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Don't think that i woul lie because they would fight over what i just said anyway.... Where I live it's easier to let people continue their fight in peace because after a couple of days they'll be linking arms and walking as if their best mates... So why lie or get involved?
Reply

*noor
05-02-2006, 06:28 PM
from Untitled Document

Provisions for lying in Islam
Most Muslims are familiar with the principles of Islam that will justify lying in situations where they sense the need to do so. Among these are:

War is deception.
The necessities justify the forbidden.
If faced by two evils, choose the lesser of the two.
These principles are derived from passages found in the Quran and the Hadith.

In the Quran, Allah, allegedly, says:
" Allah will not call you to account for what is futile in your oaths, but He will call you to account for your deliberate oaths: for expiation, feed ten indigent persons, on a scale of the average for the food of your families; or clothe them; or give a slave his freedom. If that is beyond your means, fast for three days. That is the expiation for the oaths ye have sworn. But keep to your oaths. Thus doth Allah make clear to you His signs, that ye may be grateful." Surah 5:89

"Allah will not call you to account for thoughtlessness (vain) in your oaths, but for the intention in your hearts; and He is Oft-forgiving, Most Forbearing." Surah 2:225

"Any one who, after accepting faith in Allah, utters Unbelief, except under compulsion, his heart remaining firm in Faith - but such as open their breast to Unbelief, on them is Wrath from Allah, and theirs will be a dreadful Penalty." Surah 16: 106

The noted Islamic commentator, Al-Tabary explained Surah 16:106 as a verse that had been revealed to Mohammed after he learned that Ammar Ibn Yasser was forced to deny his faith in Mohammed when kidnapped by the Banu Moghera tribe. Mohammed consoled Ammar by telling him, "If they turned, you turn." (Meaning: if they again capture you, you are allowed to deny me again.)

These and similar passages from the Quran clearly reveal that Muslims' unintentional lies are forgivable and that even their intentional lies can be absolved by performing extra duties. It is also clear that if forced to do so, Muslims can lie while under oath and can even falsely deny faith in Allah, as long as they maintain the profession of faith in their hearts.

In the Hadith, Mohammed, emphasizes the same concept.

From "Ehiaa Oloum al-Din," by the famous Islamic scholar al-Ghazali, Vol. 3: PP.284-287:

One of Mohammed's daughters, Umm Kalthoum, testified that she had never heard the Apostle of God condone lying, except in these three situations:

For reconciliation among people.
In war.
Amongst spouses, to keep peace in the family.
One passage from the Hadith quotes Mohammed as saying: "The sons of Adam are accountable for all lies except those uttered to help bring reconciliation between Muslims."

Another says, "Aba Kahl, reconcile among people."(Meaning: even through lying.)

The following quote demonstrates the broadness of situations in which the prophet permitted lying. "The sons of Adam are accountable for all lies with these exceptions: During war because war is deception, to reconcile among two quarreling men, and for a man to appease his wife."
Reply

glo
05-02-2006, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=Nicola;289616I personally find lying to be a sin...my religion does also.

There is light in truth and darkness in lies. Lies lead to more lies...[/QUOTE]

Hi Nicola

I agree with you to some extend.
Lying is a sin and should therefore be avoided.

But what if lying would prevent a greater sin? At an extreme, say, would you lie to save an somebody's life?
An intruder charges into your house with a gun, demanding to know where your friend is - because he wants to kill him/her! Your friend happens to be next door. Do you tell the intruder (- because, after all, lying is a sin), or do you lie to save your friend?

Personally, I would lie, because in this case Jesus' law to 'love your neighbour' would overrule the law 'not to lie'.
Just my personal interpretation! What do you think? I'd be fairly comfotable to stand before the Lord one day, and explain myself. :)

I'd love to hear your views.

God bless.
Reply

Kittygyal
05-02-2006, 06:30 PM
salam,

but sis ta for the details but still i don't believe that cause at the end of the day why ''lie'' though??

W.salam
Reply

Syed Nizam
05-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Why must a muslim lie? Surely, a true muslim should learned well enough not to fight among themselves. Then, they must also know that there are even a code of conduct when engaging in argument! Naah, lying will not solved anything....
Reply

Kittygyal
05-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by glo
Hi Nicola

I agree with you to some extend.
Lying is a sin and should therefore be avoided.

But what if lying would prevent a greater sin? At an extreme, say, would you lie to save an somebody's life?
An intruder charges into your house with a gun, demanding to know where your friend is - because he wants to kill him/her! Your friend happens to be next door. Do you tell the intruder (- because, after all, lying is a sin), or do you lie to save your friend?

Personally, I would lie, because in this case Jesus' law to 'love your neighbour' would overrule the law 'not to lie'.
Just my personal interpretation! What do you think? I'd be fairly comfotable to stand before the Lord one day, and explain myself. :)

I'd love to hear your views.

God bless.

salam,

but GLO why lie god is watching and at the end of the day it's not allowed in christianity too :)

W.salam
Reply

Kittygyal
05-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Syed Nizam
Why must a muslim lie? Surely, a true muslim should learned well enough not to fight among themselves. Then, they must also know that there are even a code of conduct when engaging in argument! Naah, lying will not solved anything....

salam,

that is so true bro i agree with you why ''lie''??

w.salam
Reply

*noor
05-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Syed Nizam
Why must a muslim lie? Surely, a true muslim should learned well enough not to fight among themselves. Then, they must also know that there are even a code of conduct when engaging in argument! Naah, lying will not solved anything....

this might sound crazy but i think that it's good to lie in this type of situation.
Reply

glo
05-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by islamgyal
salam,

but GLO why lie god is watching and at the end of the day it's not allowed in christianity too :)

W.salam
I kind of thought I'd explained why lying may be the 'lesser of two evils' sometimes.
What would you do? Would you lie to save your friend's life?

Jesus did not condone following God's laws blindly - at least I don't think so.
The parabel of the Good Samaritan demonstrates that. Those men who left the injured man bleeding lying in the street without helping him were religious people, who didn't (according to the law) want to make themselves 'unclean' and therefore be excluded from attending certain eligious ceremonies.
Sometimes you have to break a law - not for your own gain, but for the greater good!
That does not mean that the law in itself is obsolete or irrelevant.

This is only my personal view. Feel free to disagree! :)
Perhaps it is more of an ethical debate, rather than a religious one.

Blessings,
Reply

aamirsaab
05-02-2006, 07:17 PM
:sl:
I wouldn't lie, I would try and remain as neutral as possible and would try to explain to both.

I was actually in a situation where two of my friends were not speaking with one another but I remained neutral and didn't intervene: it was between them two and not me - i just happened to know the two. However, when I spoke with them I didn't mention the situation.
Alhumdulilah the two brothers have made up (it was only for a few days) and their friendship is just as strong as it was before.

p.s; I think it also depends on the actual fighting. In my case, the two were blanking one another, not fighting per se.

p.p.;s no names were mentioned purely for confidentiality reasons.
Reply

Nicola
05-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by glo
Hi Nicola

I agree with you to some extend.
Lying is a sin and should therefore be avoided.

But what if lying would prevent a greater sin? At an extreme, say, would you lie to save an somebody's life?
An intruder charges into your house with a gun, demanding to know where your friend is - because he wants to kill him/her! Your friend happens to be next door. Do you tell the intruder (- because, after all, lying is a sin), or do you lie to save your friend?

Personally, I would lie, because in this case Jesus' law to 'love your neighbour' would overrule the law 'not to lie'.
Just my personal interpretation! What do you think? I'd be fairly comfotable to stand before the Lord one day, and explain myself. :)

I'd love to hear your views.

God bless.

I can understand your point exactly..and yes I would lie to save someones life..but that would still make me a liar in the eyes of God no matter what..and I must repent..(like you said we are answerable to God alone and I'd give my reason why I did lie and he would know my hearts intention)

Gods commandment is do not lie..


There isn't a person who has never lied besides Jesus Christ on this earth..

So I know all people lie, for whatever reason but they should repent..not be given permission to lie.....

We lie, it's a sin... we repent. (Bible)



We are allowed to lie.... and this is not a sin..(Quran)

Hope you understand where I'm coming from can you see the difference what I'm getting at?
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
05-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Eveyrthing is but by intentions. If i lied to save an orphan from hunger who would blame me?
Reply

Sister_6038
05-02-2006, 10:43 PM
i answered this totally in realtion to my own personal friends...and no i couldnt lie....number one...im bad at lying...number two i prefer to say it how it is with my friends....number three lies have a way of catching up with you...and there are more but im being lazy....its late!!
Reply

glo
05-03-2006, 05:46 AM
Originally Posted by Nicola
I can understand your point exactly..and yes I would lie to save someones life..but that would still make me a liar in the eyes of God no matter what..and I must repent..(like you said we are answerable to God alone and I'd give my reason why I did lie and he would know my hearts intention)

Gods commandment is do not lie..


There isn't a person who has never lied besides Jesus Christ on this earth..

So I know all people lie, for whatever reason but they should repent..not be given permission to lie.....

We lie, it's a sin... we repent. (Bible)



We are allowed to lie.... and this is not a sin..(Quran)

Hope you understand where I'm coming from can you see the difference what I'm getting at?
Hi Nicola

Yes, I can see where you are coming from.
Thanks for getting back to me. :)

I guess what I was trying to say is that I believe God's word to be alive with his spirit. It needs to be lived and applied everyday.
If you treat it like a dead set of instructions, it will not work.

Does that make sense?

God bless,
Reply

glo
05-03-2006, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
Eveyrthing is but by intentions. If i lied to save an orphan from hunger who would blame me?
No, I wouldn't! :)

Peace,
Reply

Nicola
05-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by glo
Hi Nicola

Yes, I can see where you are coming from.
Thanks for getting back to me. :)

I guess what I was trying to say is that I believe God's word to be alive with his spirit. It needs to be lived and applied everyday.
If you treat it like a dead set of instructions, it will not work.

Does that make sense?

God bless,
I believe we are looking at this issue from different angles.....I know Gods word is living..and of course I would lie to save a life...and not follow our set instructions concerning lying in certain instances..so I'm not really on about how we apply those laws to our life...but rather.

I don't believe God ever changed those sets of rules...literally written down rules..to let lying not be a sin. Jesus tells us those Commandents still stand from when they where given to Moses and will do so till the end of time.


Because God never changes...so why would He now make some lying not a sin in the Koran.


Peace
Reply

Muslim Soldier
05-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Nicola

We lie, it's a sin... we repent. (Bible)



We are allowed to lie.... and this is not a sin..(Quran)
Islam is a very practical and comfortable religion. You very easily mentioned that in Islam one is allowed t lie however this is not the case unless some certain conditions are meant. Unlike the christianity you portray, Islam considers one's intention for doing a certain act. Therefore lying under very special cases is not a sin
Reply

glo
05-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Nicola
I don't believe God ever changed those sets of rules...literally written down rules..to let lying not be a sin. Jesus tells us those Commandents still stand from when they where given to Moses and will do so till the end of time.

Peace
I totally agree with you! :)

God bless,
Reply

Muslim Soldier
05-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Some time ago Nicola, you said that God cared for internal cleanliness, similarly God carews for intentions more than the actions.
Reply

*noor
05-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
God carews for intentions more than the actions.
i know that this was not directed towards me, but i agree with you that our intentions are very important.:)
Reply

rahi
05-04-2006, 02:14 PM
yes. but it depend on situation.
if lie doesn't harm anybody.
Reply

Kittygyal
05-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by rahi
yes. but it depend on situation.
if lie doesn't harm anybody.

salam,

erm..what do you mean by ''if lie doesn't harm anybody:?

w.salam
Reply

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Hello Nicola,
Originally Posted by Nicola
We are allowed to lie.... and this is not a sin..(Quran)
I can't believe you would say something like this without any evidence, especially after I debunked this misconception of yours in this post. The Qur'an and the Ahadith condemn lying as the most grievious sin! Since you read my post, you obviously knew that lying was a sin in Islam, yet you still said that the Qur'an says it is not a sin!

Your claim that the Qur'an says we are allowed to lie is a blatant untruth - nowhere does the Qur'an say that!

On the contrary the Qur'an condemns lying saying that liars will have blackened faces on the day of judgement (39:60), God guides not the liars (40:28), liars have a painful doom awaiting them (2:10), God commands Muslims to speak the truth (9:119), none is more oppressive than the one who invents a lie against God (29:28), we are accountable for every promise (17:34), Muslims are to shun lying (22:30).

And the Prophet condemned lying as well in so many narrations:

Make truth mandatory on yourself because truth shows the way to righteousness and righteousness takes you to paradise, and a person becomes committed to the search for the truth until he is listed amongst the truthful by Allah. Stay away from lies because they lead to sin and depravation, which is the way to hell, and the liar is swept by the current of lies, seeks them and is ultimately listed amongst the liars by Allah.(Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, Sunan Abu Dawud, Sunan Tirmidhi)

When a person lies, the angels shun him for miles because of the stench of that lie (Sunan Tirmidhi)

A person once asked the prophet (peace be upon him): “Is it possible for someone to have faith yet be a coward?” The Prophet (peace be upon him) replied: “Yes”. He then asked: “Is it possible for him to be stingy?” The Prophet (peace be upon him) replied: “Yes”. He then asked: “Is it possible for him to be a liar?” The Prophet (peace be upon him) replied: “No.” (Sunan Al-Bayhaqi)

The Islamic evidence which condemns lying is overhwelming, and now that you have seen it you can no longer make the outrageous claim that the Qur'an condones lying.

The Ahadith have only made the exception when there is a greater evil that must be prevented - for example the scenario that glo mentioned where lying would save someone's life. God is fair and just - He does not punish us for those things over which we had no control. Therefore, lying in such a circumstance is not a sin, it is the right thing to do. In fact if someone did not lie in such circumstances then they have cause the death of an innocent and have done something worse. God does not ordain laws, which if carried out will cause evil. This is why the Prophet made an exception for lying in such cases, to prevent great evil like the loss of life. But the Qur'an and Ahadith have still condemned lying as a terrible sin.

This is the second time I have shown you that the Qur'an and Ahadith condemn lying. For now, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you forgot. But the next time you claim that lying is not a sin in the Qur'an or in Islam, your claim will be an inexcusable lie.

Regards
Reply

MuslimaH~SistaH
05-04-2006, 04:10 PM
No-I wouldn't LIE,'Cause it's not allowed.But i would try to solve the problem in other way.

Salaam!
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
05-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by MuslimaH~SistaH
No-I wouldn't LIE,'Cause it's not allowed.But i would try to solve the problem in other way.

Salaam!
it is allowed if it makes peace between two people :eek:
Reply

Ummah
05-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Asalaamualaikum

i would only lie as a last resort, if id exhausted all other methods. i cant really imagine a situation where i would need to lie to make two friends lubbly jubbly again anyway. *scratches head*. because if they became friends and then talked about it all and then realised someone had told a lie... then back to square one it is!
Reply

Kittygyal
05-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by MuslimaH~SistaH
No-I wouldn't LIE,'Cause it's not allowed.But i would try to solve the problem in other way.

Salaam!

salam,

agree sis :happy:

w.salam
Reply

Kittygyal
05-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
it is allowed if it makes peace between two people :eek:

salam,

well bro they should know better you should just tell em the right not ''lie'' :heated:
as you would say ''if a dog barks then don't feed em''

w.salam
Reply

strider
05-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Assalamu alaikum

No, i wouldn't lie because lie's always come out in the end and that may cause more harm then good. I've been caught between two bickering friends on more than one occassion and i prefer to sit them both down and ask them to talk over their differences in a civilised manner. That works more effiecently, as it usually gets to the bottom of things quicker. They can either chose to put it behind them and be friends or go their separate ways if they really can't sort it out, without any real hard feelings and learn to tolerate each other if they are in each others company.

Ma'assalama
Reply

Muslimaatan
05-05-2006, 03:22 AM
Noope i wouldn't!! u know y?? cuz i been through it before..every time i lie to make peace, i lose trust from people, and same when others do it to me..i lose trust in them..BUt i guess if it was that bad u can lie to make peace at the time, and then say the truth.godd..i hate the word "lie" soo much!! May Allah forgive us all!!
Reply

glo
05-05-2006, 11:37 AM
The jury is out in the poll situation though ... 1/3 for each option! :rollseyes
Reply

IceQueen~
05-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Muslimaatan
Noope i wouldn't!! u know y?? cuz i been through it before..every time i lie to make peace, i lose trust from people, and same when others do it to me..i lose trust in them..BUt i guess if it was that bad u can lie to make peace at the time, and then say the truth.godd..i hate the word "lie" soo much!! May Allah forgive us all!!
in islam there are three cases when u r allowed to 'lie' or deceive-i think its when u r doing jihad (u cn deceive the enemy), to stop an argument between husband and wife (like 4 eg-the husband pretends to like something so as not to hurt his wife's feelings) and to make peace between two parties-but this isn't so simple and straightforward-no matter what we are NOT allowed to abuse these rights to 'lie'
Reply

R_Mujahed
05-05-2006, 12:07 PM
49:9 If two parties among the Believers fall into a quarrel, make ye peace between them: but if one of them transgresses beyond bounds against the other then fight ye (all) against the one that transgresses until it complies with the command of Allah; but if it complies then make peace between them with justice and be fair: for Allah loves those who are fair (and just).

I think It says it all... you do not need to lie... it couldn't be said any better!
Reply

Qurratul Ayn
05-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Sister nurofislam, if it is between two of my Muslim friends then yes I would as you have written there that this is one of the very few parts a Muslim can lie but if it is with one Muslim and a Non-Muslim then no and if it is with two Non-Muslims then no.

Assalamu Alaikum
Shakirah

P.S. What about you Sister nurofislam?
Reply

IceQueen~
05-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by R_Mujahed
49:9 If two parties among the Believers fall into a quarrel, make ye peace between them: but if one of them transgresses beyond bounds against the other then fight ye (all) against the one that transgresses until it complies with the command of Allah; but if it complies then make peace between them with justice and be fair: for Allah loves those who are fair (and just).

I think It says it all... you do not need to lie... it couldn't be said any better!
yeah, but if neither 'trangresses beyond bounds' but just feel ill towards eachother...then?:?
Reply

...
05-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Lying is an extremely bad sin but fighting is even worse. So i suppose if two people are fighting then u can lie to make them make up. And if the Quran says something then u shouldn't question it - "enter islam completely"
Reply

Muslimaatan
05-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by marge1
in islam there are three cases when u r allowed to 'lie' or deceive-i think its when u r doing jihad (u cn deceive the enemy), to stop an argument between husband and wife (like 4 eg-the husband pretends to like something so as not to hurt his wife's feelings) and to make peace between two parties-but this isn't so simple and straightforward-no matter what we are NOT allowed to abuse these rights to 'lie'
thanxzz 4 that..:-D
Reply

R_Mujahed
05-06-2006, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by marge1
yeah, but if neither 'trangresses beyond bounds' but just feel ill towards eachother...then?:?
When you are thinking it, is different then when you apply it... so unless someone trangresses against the other, then there will not be a fight... just hold it in yourself and do not display it! but if you do then the one that does not stop... you fight against!
Reply

Ummah
05-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by R_Mujahed
49:9 If two parties among the Believers fall into a quarrel, make ye peace between them: but if one of them transgresses beyond bounds against the other then fight ye (all) against the one that transgresses until it complies with the command of Allah; but if it complies then make peace between them with justice and be fair: for Allah loves those who are fair (and just).

I think It says it all... you do not need to lie... it couldn't be said any better!
jazakhAllah and if u dont mind i would just like to post the next verse after this which goes on to say
"049.010 The Believers are but a single Brotherhood: So make peace and reconciliation between your two (contending) brothers; and fear Allah, that ye may receive Mercy. "
Reply

Nicola
05-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Muslimaatan
Noope i wouldn't!! u know y?? cuz i been through it before..every time i lie to make peace, i lose trust from people, and same when others do it to me..i lose trust in them..BUt i guess if it was that bad u can lie to make peace at the time, and then say the truth.godd..i hate the word "lie" soo much!! May Allah forgive us all!!

Exactly.. who trusts a liar?..When a person can so easily lie in such circumstances. Instead of telling the truth that would bring peace.

When a person lies to me, I never again take what they say as truth...I take everything they say with a pinch of salt. Their word means nothing at all.
Reply

Kittygyal
05-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Nicola
Exactly.. who trusts a liar?..When a person can so easily lie in such circumstances. Instead of telling the truth that would bring peace.

When a person lies to me, I never again take what they say as truth...I take everything they say with a pinch of salt. Their word means nothing at all.

salam.
i definately agree with you why lie though one way or another they will find out and also god is watching telling the truth is better than lieing cause that leads to even bigger issue!
w.salam
Reply

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi Nicola,
You haven't responded to this post:
http://www.islamicboard.com/293395-post39.html
Have you read it?
Reply

afriend2
05-07-2006, 06:31 PM
salaam,

nope i would use other techniques that involves a beating...:p ....

but seriously...lying may even make it worse...so i'd just try and make them sort it out using good Islamic ways :) inshAllah

wassalam :peace:
Reply

Maarya
05-08-2006, 04:39 PM
i think it depends on the situation and it also depends on your friends.

it's pretty risky business because if they find out u've lied to them then they're gonna argue with u, so i wouldn't unless it was the last resort.
Reply

Hajar
05-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Assalamu alaykum,

yes i agree with sis Nazia..it isnt the best way is not to lie, cuz that maybe clear the problem for a short time, but doesnt solve the problem.

You just have to talk about the problem with both of ur friends and just take the possition of a mediator and .. dont choose any sides.

wasalam
Reply

Samee
08-07-2006, 01:47 AM
:sl:

Without a SHADOW of a doubt. Violence between two people you love is never something good. You have to do all measures to get the two reconcile, and should it involve lying, Allah knows better.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 03:53 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2009, 05:13 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-17-2006, 10:52 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 12:09 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!