/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why IslamicBoard?

extinction
05-02-2006, 09:34 PM
:) I have been on this site almost 3 weeks now... and I noticed that there were people of other faiths which is of course good.....I first assumed they were people who had a genuine interest in Islam or were confused pertaining to some laws or rulings etc. Now I seen a few of them simply refuting all claims and so on. So now my question is to all you non-muslims the purpose of your visit here is...
  • Is it that you wish to justify your own faith? To help others understand your faith.

• Is it to prey on innocent Muslims and confuse them?

• You are of the few who are interested in religions in general and would like to know more.

• You are paid to go on sites like this and argue your faith

• Something else? Please state why?

I really honestly want to know your HONEST reasons..........
Because I honestly don't ever see myself going on a Jew site or a Christian Site ever!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
dirtysanchez1
05-02-2006, 09:52 PM
I came on, originally, to de-bunk some of the stupid 9/11 conspiracy theories I saw here after being directed here by a link on another, unrelated site. When I got on L.I., I quickly saw that there where many more stupid 'claims' and what-not here (most posted by mahdisoldier19), so I've stayed on as a 'voice of reality.' ;D

dirtysanchez1
05-02-2006, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by helena
:sl:

...hpe der are some views from da non-muslims....

There you go, sis. Hope that helped.

j4763
05-02-2006, 09:55 PM
For me its...

Is it that you wish to justify your own faith? To help others understand your faith.
No i have no real faith in god (notice the word "real")

Is it to prey on innocent Muslims and confuse them?
No.

You are of the few who are interested in religions in general and would like to know more.
Yep :)

I love all religions historys and how they came about. And Islam is one of the most intresting

[/quote]

You are paid to go on sites like this and argue your faith
Something else? Please state why?
Well didn't pay (hope you didn't have to either(?))

I mainy came here to understand Islam. Its got a lot of media coverage of late. I you know you should never beleve all the media, so i came to the people themselves.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nicola
05-02-2006, 10:00 PM
OK...I can to try and understand Islam, understand the differences between the Bible and Quran...not to change my religion..To find out if I though God and Allah are the same entity..learn about the History of Mohammed and how the religion spread..

I also came to find out "what the Muslims feel about the west" If it was true what media publish about Islam..kind of, is there reason for this Islamiphobia..or what ever it's called...It Muslims supported terrorists..loads of reason... To try and portray what actually Christians believe in..eg..Jesus is God.

There are loads of reasons why I came here.
hope this helps.

edil
05-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Hey you dont come on this forum to investigate a mystery but instead learn.

snakelegs
05-03-2006, 12:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
:)
  • Is it that you wish to justify your own faith? To help others understand your faith.

no, i'm agnostic and have never belonged to any religion and wasn't raised in one. i have no desire to promote any religion, let alone try to change somebody else's.

no!

• You are of the few who are interested in religions in general and would like to know more.

yes, and i am interested in islam specifically.

i have none to argue.

also because of the urdu section cuz i'm trying to teach myself urdu

Because I honestly don't ever see myself going on a Jew site or a Christian Site ever!!
this is because you know what is the right religion for you and are not interested in the subject of comparitive religion.

khuda hafiz!

extinction
05-03-2006, 05:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by edil
Hey you dont come on this forum to investigate a mystery but instead learn.
is this to me? I am actually posting this to LEARN why people come to this site and not investigate but if it wasnt to me then :) sorry have a nice day......:thankyou:

glo
05-03-2006, 06:13 AM
:) I have been on this site almost 3 weeks now... and I noticed that there were people of other faiths which is of course good.....I first assumed they were people who had a genuine interest in Islam or were confused pertaining to some laws or rulings etc. Now I seen a few of them simply refuting all claims and so on. So now my question is to all you non-muslims the purpose of your visit here is...

Good question, hafizmo!

I came here predominantly to learn about Islam. And have learned way more here in two weeks tha I have living in nine years with many Muslim neighbours! Perhaps, because it is easy here to ask questions.

I am also here to strike up conversations with Muslims.
I am here to make friends.
I am here to undermine some old stereotypes on both sides!

At times I find it helpful to talk about my own faith. I hope that's alright, and I trust that the excellent moderators here would soon tell me, if it wasn't. :rollseyes

I hope that I don't preach at people - at least that's not my intention!
I try to steer clear of those threads that turn into heated religious debates.

Can I also say that this forum is one of the most welcoming and tolerant (religious) forums I have come across. And that includes a good few 'Christian' ones!
This forum is a credit to Islam, and I hope it will coninue to tolerate followers of other faiths and none, despite or because of their sometimes awkward comments and questions!

Peace! :)

syilla
05-03-2006, 06:22 AM
snakelegs...

just tell us why u are here...

pleasee...

extinction
05-03-2006, 06:34 AM
Can I also say that this forum is one of the most welcoming and tolerant (religious) forums I have come across. And that includes a good few 'Christian' ones!
This forum is a credit to Islam, and I hope it will coninue to tolerate followers of other faiths and none, despite or because of their sometimes awkward comments and questions!
You hear that mods!!

snakelegs
05-03-2006, 06:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
snakelegs...

just tell us why u are here...

pleasee...
i thought i'd made it plain. what do you want to know that i didn't write in my answers?

syilla
05-03-2006, 06:56 AM
well first maybe why this forum...?

north_malaysian
05-03-2006, 09:49 AM
What does non Muslims feel about Muslims in this channel?

I mean....

1) Are all of us thinking just the same or differ?

2) Are we conservative, liberal etc?

3) Are we all terrorist?;D

4) Are we just like whatever being potrayed in Western medias.

5) Did u surprised of meeting Muslims here, on how we react, how we post our messages?

Nicola
05-03-2006, 11:26 AM
=north_malaysian;290861]What does non Muslims feel about Muslims in this channel?
I mean....

different

Some are very conservative...but the majority I don't think are.

lol I think the terrorists are too busy to be typing on here....:giggling:

Yes some do fit that portrait, IMO It comes across in their words..

5) Did u surprised of meeting Muslims here, on how we react, how we post our messages?
No, I'm not surprised at all...there are those who are Kind hearted in this world and those that are not. No different than the outside world.

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Hi glo,
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Thank you for your kind words, it is really nice to get this kind of positive feedback. :)

Peace

Rabi'ya
05-03-2006, 12:19 PM
:sl:

I came to Li because the previous islamic forum i was on became corrupt and there was too much fitnah there.

This forum has good advice, and whilst upholding the rules of Islam to the best of our ability allows us to have fun, and interact with all differnt kinds of people, Muslims and non-Muslims alike.

I love meeting new sisters on the forum and have become close to a select few of the sisters. Its nice to share ideas and problems.

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

MetSudaisTwice
05-03-2006, 12:22 PM
salam
i came on this forum to learn more about islam and also try to unite the ummah and share info on islam to everyone, also the members here are very helpful and kind in giving info on issues mashallah
wasalam

fantaxxy_moon
05-03-2006, 12:32 PM
dear brother ,
God and Allah are not the same entity .. let me tell u why .. it is preferred not to call Allah " God " because Allah is only one ... but the word God could have its plural term which is Gods .. so that's why we don't prefer to call Allah "God" because Allah is only one and couldn't be a plural or there is no two Gods as the christians believe .. that jesus is God .. in islam there is only one God and we believe that jesus is a prophet ,.... i would like u to read or listen to sura'ah " mariam " in the Quran it will tell u how much we love jesus and believe that he was a prophet before the prophet Mohammed SAW.. and we also love " mariam " she is considered as the most chaste woman in the whole universe from the day of creation till the judgement day ... i hope that what i have said just now .. will show u how much we love jesus and believe that he was a prophet before our beloved prophet mohammed SAW, and that the entity of God and Allah is not the same ..

we feel good about the west .. but it is them who understand us wrongly ... we muslims never agree to the term of terrorism ... we muslims refuse terrorism ... in our islamic countries we fight those who are terrorists .. and islam also fights terrorism .. so how and why do u say that muslims are terrorists and why do the west say this about us ? ...
the islamic greeting itself says " peace be upon you" so how would a religion which has this greeting be a terrorism religion ?

i hope that what i have said would be of help to you ,,,
thanks dear brother for being here ..
we will surely help you understand many things ... and reveal the truth .. and i hope that this truth would affect your thoughts and would awaken you ...
thanks
format_quote Originally Posted by Nicola
OK...I can to try and understand Islam, understand the differences between the Bible and Quran...not to change my religion..To find out if I though God and Allah are the same entity..learn about the History of Mohammed and how the religion spread..

I also came to find out "what the Muslims feel about the west" If it was true what media publish about Islam..kind of, is there reason for this Islamiphobia..or what ever it's called...It Muslims supported terrorists..loads of reason... To try and portray what actually Christians believe in..eg..Jesus is God.

There are loads of reasons why I came here.
hope this helps.

Herostratos
05-03-2006, 12:37 PM
After the cartoon controversy, I heard a lot of "muslems are like this" and "Islam is really like that" etc.

So I decided to investigate what muslems really said and thought..

It has been... Very enlightening.

Muezzin
05-03-2006, 01:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Herostratos
After the cartoon controversy, I heard a lot of "muslems are like this" and "Islam is really like that" etc.

So I decided to investigate what muslems really said and thought..

It has been... Very enlightening.
I trust no psychos have threatened to behead you. ;) :)

glo
05-03-2006, 03:06 PM
:)
Do you really mean that?

Can I ask you why not?

Thanks,

dishdash
05-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Can I ask you why not?

Thanks,
Yes - I would like to know that bro. The Abrahamic faiths, though in our opinion are distorted, are still our history. You would do well to explore.

Wisdom is the lost property of the true believer.

------
05-03-2006, 03:21 PM
This site heviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

dishdash
05-03-2006, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fantaxxy_moon
dear brother ,
God and Allah are not the same entity .. let me tell u why .. it is preferred not to call Allah " God " because Allah is only one ... but the word God could have its plural term which is Gods .. so that's why we don't prefer to call Allah "God" because Allah is only one and couldn't be a plural or there is no two Gods as the christians believe .. that jesus is God .. in islam there is only one God and we believe that jesus is a prophet ,.... i would like u to read or listen to sura'ah " mariam " in the Quran it will tell u how much we love jesus and believe that he was a prophet before the prophet Mohammed SAW.. and we also love " mariam " she is considered as the most chaste woman in the whole universe from the day of creation till the judgement day ... i hope that what i have said just now .. will show u how much we love jesus and believe that he was a prophet before our beloved prophet mohammed SAW, and that the entity of God and Allah is not the same ..

we feel good about the west .. but it is them who understand us wrongly ... we muslims never agree to the term of terrorism ... we muslims refuse terrorism ... in our islamic countries we fight those who are terrorists .. and islam also fights terrorism .. so how and why do u say that muslims are terrorists and why do the west say this about us ? ...
the islamic greeting itself says " peace be upon you" so how would a religion which has this greeting be a terrorism religion ?

i hope that what i have said would be of help to you ,,,
thanks dear brother for being here ..
we will surely help you understand many things ... and reveal the truth .. and i hope that this truth would affect your thoughts and would awaken you ...
thanks
<sigh> I'm not even going to touch this one.... very well intentioned I'm sure but...

glo
05-03-2006, 09:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Did u surprised of meeting Muslims here, on how we react, how we post our messages?
Well, I must say that I find Muslims here in this forum much more open, chatty and funny than most Muslims I have ever met in the street.
Muslims I meet face-to-face seem much more closed, almost unwilling to have anything to do with any non-Muslim.

I don't find that here at all.
Perhaps it is because these kind of forums attract us chatty, sociable people.
Or because we don't know each other personally, it is easier to be open and honest with each other.

Does that make sense? :)

Blessings,

extinction
05-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Do you really mean that?
Yes there really are people who get paid to go on sites like this one....

Can I ask you why not?

Yes sure...not because I'm biased mainly because I dont really do forums but this one forum was an exeption also because I think to myself that the internet is definitely one place where I don't want to get information regarding relgions(you ask why?) well mainly because I've seen how people can distort things and confuse even born-muslims like me so I don't want to get into a sort of "trap" if that makes sense? hope this helped
Thanks
Your most welcome:)
Also people do not confuse this with the your story thread where you say how you found this site and stuff this thread is mostly targeted towards the non-muslims and their purpose here and their intentions........just so I can have a better understanding with each one and maybe even you guys/girls........

glo
05-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Yes there really are people who get paid to go on sites like this one....
Really??? :muddlehea
Do you think so or do you know so?

Yes sure...not because I'm biased mainly because I dont really do forums but this one forum was an exeption also because I think to myself that the internet is definitely one place where I don't want to get information regarding relgions(you ask why?) well mainly because I've seen how people can distort things and confuse even born-muslims like me so I don't want to get into a sort of "trap" if that makes sense?
That's interesting.
My husband - who is neither Muslim nor Christian - questioned whether joining this forum would be the best way to find out about Islam. He, himself, would much rather read up about it in a respectable book.

I am different.
Yes, the theology behind Islam is interesting, and I am picking enough of that up here whilst I am reading here.
But, contrary to what you are saying, I am particularly interested in how ordinary people (i.e. you and every other Muslim here) apply their faith on a daily basis.
To hear you put it in your own words tells me much more than reading dry theological texts.

That's why, when I have started a thread because I want to hear people's views and opinions, I find it quite frustrating when the moderators point me towards some pre-designed sticky thread.
I much rather hear people talk about their faiths!

I also realise that underneath being Muslims, Christians, and all other believers or non-believers we have something in common: we are all human; we share the same emotions; we have the same struggles in life; we all have hopes, dreams and ambitions!
So I would recommend you going out there and meeting non-Muslims for what they are: fellow human beings! :) :thankyou: :statisfie

Now I'll stop rambling. :X

Peace!

extinction
05-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Do you think so or do you know so
I know so......
So I would recommend you going out there and meeting non-Muslims for what they are: fellow human beings!
Thanks for the advice much appreciated...

Kidman
05-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Nice post, like the answers from the non-muslims as well. Have a good time here and make friends... and make sure we answer any questions your not sure about :)

Kavon

snakelegs
05-04-2006, 03:15 AM
well first maybe why this forum...?
hi syilla,
i put in a search for "urdu forum" and this one was 3rd on the list so that is how i came here (i'm learning urdu). i have interacted with many muslims but never before with ultra conservative ones like some here and i was horrified at first by some of the views expressed (and i have a problem with some of them for sure). of course i was aware that there are muslims who share these views - i just hadn't interacted with any before. now that i've been here longer i realize that there is quite a nice diversity of opinion here after all, though it seems not among the administrators.
i am interested in islam and especially in the question whether and how the gap between western secular culture and conservative islam can be overcome. this is shaping up as one of the most important problems of our times.
hope this answers your question.

syilla
05-04-2006, 03:26 AM
hehehe... i'm waiting for your answer...

anyway... don't read too much on the 'opinionated' thread ones...

thank you for being interested in our religion...

my hope for you is to buy a good islamic book then maybe you'll learn the facts...and maybe it is interesting to read on the islamic law...

don't let cherry picking ones make you confuse on the real islam...

snakelegs
05-04-2006, 03:32 AM

I mean....

differ of course

pretty good mix but more on the conservative end of the spectrum

hehehe some of you are pretty scary!

a few. truth is i consume very little mainstream western media.

no

peace

extinction
05-04-2006, 03:44 AM
lol now I even got snake legs to post will wait for hei gou and I think that pretty much covers most of them right?

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-04-2006, 04:05 AM
Hi Snakelegs :) ,
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i have interacted with many muslims but never before with ultra conservative ones like some here and i was horrified at first by some of the views expressed
[...]
there is quite a nice diversity of opinion here after all, though it seems not among the administrators.
If you're 'horrified' by some of our views, why not discuss them? Let's go through the issues one at a time.

I may be wrong, but I would guess that you take a quick glimpse of our explanations and allow yourself to project the negative perceptions you have of some 'conservative' Muslims on to us. Why not give us a chance to explain before sidelining us as 'ultra conservatives'? And there is no such thing as 'conservative', 'liberal' or 'moderate' Islam. There is only one Islam. That is to follow Islam as it was revealed by Allah in the Qur'an, explained by the Prophet in the Sunnah and understood by his companions. That is the path of moderation and balance.
the question whether and how the gap between western secular culture and conservative islam can be overcome.
Here's a book by someone who has crossed that gap, which answers that question:
SacredFreedom

Regards

snakelegs
05-04-2006, 04:40 AM
lol now I even got snake legs to post will wait for hei gou and I think that pretty much covers most of them right?
i answered your questions in post #7. hehe

extinction
05-04-2006, 04:42 AM
i answered your questions in post #7. hehe
well sorry you answered the questions posed to you by everyone so far.....except ansar al adl I think?

snakelegs
05-04-2006, 05:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Hi Snakelegs :) ,

If you're 'horrified' by some of our views, why not discuss them? Let's go through the issues one at a time.

I may be wrong, but I would guess that you take a quick glimpse of our explanations and allow yourself to project the negative perceptions you have of some 'conservative' Muslims on to us. Why not give us a chance to explain before sidelining us as 'ultra conservatives'? And there is no such thing as 'conservative', 'liberal' or 'moderate' Islam. There is only one Islam. That is to follow Islam as it was revealed by Allah in the Qur'an, explained by the Prophet in the Sunnah and understood by his companions. That is the path of moderation and balance.

Here's a book by someone who has crossed that gap, which answers that question:
SacredFreedom

Regards
hi ansar,
i have interacted with some of the members whose views horrify me and i appreciate the opportunity to be able to. the types of things that horrify me are when people agree that apostates should be killed (yes, i remember your explanation - the necessary conditions etc), homosexuals should be killed, people of other religions know they're wrong and don't really care about their religion, other religions are rubbish, hitler was great, people who insult the prophet should be killed etc etc (you can imagine from these examples, i'm sure). these viewpoints are quite foreign to a western mind and sadden me because they make me wonder if it's possible for this type of thinking and western culture to find meeting ground.
i also find it a strange mentality that would have a private message system and have moderators read it to protect other members and the fact that there are many members who feel a need for protection.
i also strongly disagree with you that there is only one islam and it is set in stone. i have met very diverse muslims and i am aware that even among islamic scholars there are areas of disagreement (even as to which are valid hadith), which to me, is as it should be. i don't like it when the media tries to portray islam as a monolith either. islam is complex and has many faces and degrees of observance. so unlike you, i am convinced that there is such a thing as conservative, moderate and liberal islam.
so we disagree, but that's cool.
thanks for the link but now i must get off this computer before i turn in to stone.

extinction
05-04-2006, 05:22 AM
now snake legs i am proud to say i got you to answer everyones questions lol.....thanks dude.......

Trumble
05-04-2006, 05:31 AM

Totally agree.

I'm here to learn about Islam too, although I must confess that is not with any intention to convert to it. I post in "World Affairs" as well as "Comparative Religion" mainly because I have an interest in such things and have trouble resisting it, although I really ought to try when the topic is one that makes me angry.

2,600 posts in 3 weeks, hafizmo?! :muddlehea I wonder how many you will make over the next three years, or even three months!:happy:

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Hi Snakelegs :),
hi ansar,
i have interacted with some of the members whose views horrify me and i appreciate the opportunity to be able to. the types of things that horrify me are when people agree that apostates should be killed (yes, i remember your explanation - the necessary conditions etc), homosexuals should be killed, people of other religions know they're wrong and don't really care about their religion, other religions are rubbish, hitler was great, people who insult the prophet should be killed etc etc (you can imagine from these examples, i'm sure). these viewpoints are quite foreign to a western mind and sadden me because they make me wonder if it's possible for this type of thinking and western culture to find meeting ground.
I was going to launch into a brief response to this - some are common inaccuracies, misconceptions, others are simply incorrect - but I don't want to derail br. hafizmo's thread. Is it possible for you to make a new thread in the basics of islam or refutations section where we can discuss the same points you have highlighted above?
i also strongly disagree with you that there is only one islam and it is set in stone. i have met very diverse muslims and i am aware that even among islamic scholars there are areas of disagreement (even as to which are valid hadith), which to me, is as it should be.
The Muslim scholars have disagreed concerning fiqh (jurisprudence) issues, never on the fundamentals. And those few ahadith which are subject to difference of opinion are not the ones that concern the laws and fundamentals of the religion. So if someone believes in the Qur'an and the Sunnah, you won't find significant differences.
thanks for the link but now i must get off this computer before i turn in to stone.
Me too! :uhwhat

Regards

north_malaysian
05-04-2006, 05:52 AM
Actually I quite admire on the bravery of Non Muslims to come into Muslim dominated turf. :bravo:

syilla
05-04-2006, 06:07 AM
true... coz i will not. (all of you are brave ones)

i'll not go to a religious other than islamic forum...

coz i don't think i have all the capabilities or knowledge when comes to debate.

*i don't debate to win... only to tell the truth... nothing but the truth.

glo
05-04-2006, 07:29 AM
coz i don't think i have all the capabilities or knowledge when comes to debate.
But it's not just about debating. Sometimes it is just good to listen to others.

There is a lot of stuff talked about here, which I either don't understand or don't agree with.
Sometimes I deem it worth me putting my only view into the discussion. Quite often I don't.
But hearing other's views - no matter how much I may disagree - helps me to understand their way of thinking ... and that helps me to relate to them!

I don't think socialising with those of other faiths will make your own faith weaker - not unless it was wavering in the first place!

north_malaysian
05-04-2006, 07:35 AM
Never been to other religious forum. But I've been for a loooong time in a famous Malaysian forum. IT WAS TOO HOSTILE! Everybody wants to win, and THEY DONT LISTEN. Maybe most Malaysian regardless of their religious background are shallow minded. So sad.

Frankly, I think this forum is very good. Where people could listen to each other saying something and not too hostile.

glo
05-04-2006, 07:37 AM
Never been to other religious forum. But I've been for a loooong time in a famous Malaysian forum. IT WAS TOO HOSTILE! Everybody wants to win, and THEY DONT LISTEN. Maybe most Malaysian regardless of their religious background are shallow minded. So sad.

Frankly, I think this forum is very good. Where people could listen to each other saying something and not too hostile.
Nice post!
I so agree!!! :)
I have been in forums, where is was impossible to voice an opinion without being shouted down ... and I ended up leaving.
Not here, though. :)

Blessings.

extinction
05-04-2006, 07:38 AM
You only debate to win?
I think what was said was
i don't debate to win
unless that post was edited

north_malaysian
05-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Nice post!
I so agree!!! :)
I have been in forums, where is was impossible to voice an opinion without being shouted down ... and I ended up leaving.
Not here, though. :)

Blessings.
If you go to CARI FORUM, and go to the RELIGION section - it's like a WARZONE. Even more fatal than POLITICS section.

glo
05-04-2006, 07:45 AM
I think what was said was
unless that post was edited
Whooops, you are right! I totally misread syilla's sentence! :rollseyes :X
I'll try and edit the post, if I can work out how ... Thanks, hafizmo, for pointing that out. :)
Sorry, syilla!! :thankyou:

Blessings,

extinction
05-04-2006, 07:48 AM
Whooops, you are right! I totally misread syilla's sentence! :rollseyes :X
I'll try and edit the post, if I can work out how ... Thanks, hafizmo, for pointing that out. :)
Sorry, syilla!! :thankyou:

Blessings,
lol its ok after all we are human and we all make mistakes part of being human....and you are most welcome I hope next time you are thanking me its not for taking out your mistakes:)

glo
05-04-2006, 07:49 AM
If you go to CARI FORUM, and go to the RELIGION section - it's like a WARZONE. Even more fatal than POLITICS section.
Sounds delightful ... NOT! :heated:

I think I'll take your word for it, anf give it a miss, thank you! :thankyou:

Blessings.

snakelegs
05-04-2006, 08:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Hi Snakelegs :),

I was going to launch into a brief response to this - some are common inaccuracies, misconceptions, others are simply incorrect - but I don't want to derail br. hafizmo's thread. Is it possible for you to make a new thread in the basics of islam or refutations section where we can discuss the same points you have highlighted above?

The Muslim scholars have disagreed concerning fiqh (jurisprudence) issues, never on the fundamentals. And those few ahadith which are subject to difference of opinion are not the ones that concern the laws and fundamentals of the religion. So if someone believes in the Qur'an and the Sunnah, you won't find significant differences.

Me too! :uhwhat

Regards
hi ansar,
i do realize that there are certain (many) fundamentals that all muslim scholars would agree on and there are certain basics that muslims in general would agree on. but there is also room for diverse opinions, even among scholars.
maybe i'll start a thread on this subject, but not tonight. i didn't mean to derail hafizmo's thread.

extinction
05-04-2006, 08:31 AM
i didn't mean to derail hafizmo's thread.
thanks for taking that into consideration :)

syilla
05-04-2006, 08:35 AM
hehe...

everybody loves u boy...

dishdash
05-04-2006, 09:44 AM
thanks for taking that into consideration :)
I've just realised - you have posted over 2500 times in a month...

Do you eat or sleep?!

extinction
05-05-2006, 05:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dishdash

Do you eat or sleep?!
erm sleep ..hardly? eat.. does coffee and cookies count?

glo
05-05-2006, 11:10 AM
I know so......
Hi hafizmo

Can I ask how exactly you know so?
It's just that the idea of people being paid to indoctrinate other forum members seems rather strange to me ... if not slightly paranoid. :rollseyes
So it would be good to get some more detailed evidence on this. :)

peace

Hijaabi22
05-05-2006, 11:23 AM
me neither!!

R_Mujahed
05-05-2006, 12:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dishdash

Do you eat or sleep?!
Akhee have you seen his post/day? 92.66 posts a day... MashaALLAH!!!

R_Mujahed
05-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Hi hafizmo

Can I ask how exactly you know so?
It's just that the idea of people being paid to indoctrinate other forum members seems rather strange to me ... if not slightly paranoid. :rollseyes
So it would be good to get some more detailed evidence on this. :)

peace

Hey, the CIA and FBI have and can and will do anything! No? :happy:

searchingsoul
05-26-2006, 10:04 AM
I participate on this forum because it helps me understand the Muslims around me. The more I understand about other people the more I'm able to sympathize with them. It also allows me to examine why I hold my personal beliefs.

I participate on other forums as well. I like the size of this forum, not to big and not too small. I also like to read the information on Load-Islam. Another poster (maybe Glo) mentioned that they like learning how everyday people use Islam within their lives. I agree. I think it's good to receive information from a variety of sources.

Is it that you wish to justify your own faith? To help others understand your faith.

If they wish to understand my faith. I'm more interested in learning about Islam. I have no desire to evangelize.

Is it to prey on innocent Muslims and confuse them?

I do that at home. That's enough.

You are of the few who are interested in religions in general and would like to know more.

I do enjoy reading about different religions.

You are paid to go on sites like this and argue your faith

No but this sounds fun, although it goes against my principles. How can I get one of these jobs?

Something else? Please state why?

Nothing more to say.

searchingsoul
05-26-2006, 10:12 AM

I mean....

Different thoughts

Mostly conservative compared to the Muslims I know. But this is okay.

No. I doubt that there are terrorists on this forum. I think there are some young kids on this site who look up to the terrorists. Probably just a matter of maturity.

Sometimes

I was surprised to find that a lot of people on here hate the USA although they continue to live in the USA. It looks like it's the same for the UK, Australia, and Canada.
good questions

------
12-06-2007, 01:11 PM
:salamext:

Why Islamicboard? Because it is the first forum I came across, and it is the best, Mashaa Allaah,and may it continue to be so! Ameen .

Jayda
12-06-2007, 04:11 PM

hola,

this is a good question. i can't find the exact post i made when i left but it discussed some of this. in my case, joined the forum because i am lonely and like to talk to people, and i had a number of questions to ask so that i could find out a little bit more about islam... this site was recommended to me by a member who i don't think is here anymore, named skillganon. i talked to him frequently on the forum i (regularly) post on www.christianforums.com where i am a long time member.

i don't really remember what questions i had though... there is a LOT of negativity and ignorance about Christianity. i've read threads accusing us of worshipping mary as a goddess, threads that insult our beloved Apostle St. Paul, or demand that we are a religion founded on paganism, among a host of other nasty things. it is insulting and hurtful when members do it who seem to know better, and it is frightening when members who do not know as much about Christianity read these things and respond with shock and belief. when this happens i feel compelled to at least say something... that is natural.

for instance, right now there is a christological thread in 'comparative religion,' about the substance of God. why are muslims having a nicene discussion among themselves (and little more than a lecture to us) over theology that is not theirs? and if it is not meant to pull us into discussing it than for whom is it directed? does comparative religion really mean anything? it seems to me to be a euphamism for islamic proselytism couched in non missionary terms.

before long the threads became so numerous that i didn't really remember what i was here to ask about... i still can't remember exactly. so your forum defeats itself... at least as it relates to educating non muslims about islam. as time went by i couldn't remember what interested me at all about islam, but (this is interesting) the result of all of this defensive debating has caused me to understand a lot more about the intellectual aspects of Christianity, which i respect so much more now. so i have that to be thankful for.

i'm certain that there probably are people who come to this website just to proselytise and get into arguments about islam... but i do not think they last long when they realize nobody is listening to them. on the other hand there are regular non muslim members who would prefer to discuss other things with you, but we are pulled into these topics based upon attacks launched on our religions.

but as an attached issue to this complaint, i don't think the majority of people are the instigators... most people come here to talk about their days, current events, to ask for advice or retreat from school. i am certain many people come here because, like me, they are lonely. that i think is the difference between regulars and people simply passing through to cause trouble. despite our differences and despite many of the unpleasant conversations one can have here (especially as a non muslim), and even if we never get around to talking about islam or discussing the questions i had (if i can remember them) i think we all enjoy each others company. if we did not then that would be the end of that.

so, while it is an important issue for me and i do not intend to just let it slide when i see negativity about catholicism, i am happy that there are other things to discuss and with such pleasant people to discuss them :) little can be done, so there isn't any reason to stress over it, both for you and for me. just do your best :)

lol and with regards to your specific questions:

1. not really the first half, definitely the second
2. no
3. not really... some religions interest me for reasons and others do not, islam interests me
4. definitely no
5. see the above ;)

que Dios te bendiga

extinction
08-07-2008, 04:35 AM
there is a LOT of negativity and ignorance about Christianity
I agree, but on the other side of the of the scale there is probably twice if not more negativity and ignorance pertaining to Islam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.