/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Christ according to Islam?

glo
05-03-2006, 06:03 AM
Hi all

I asked elsewhere what the word 'dajjal' meant. The answer I was given was anti-Christ.
This lead to a further query as who then, in Islam, is 'the Christ'?

Fo me as a Christian, the Christ is Jesus, the son of God and saviour of mankind, as prophesied in the Old Testament.
The name is taken from the Greek word Christos, meaning 'the anointed one'.
Christ is not Jesus' name, but his title.

That's just to give a bit of background. Now back to my original question:
Who is the Christ in Islamic terms?

Thanks, and peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dawud_uk
05-03-2006, 06:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Hi all

I asked elsewhere what the word 'dajjal' meant. The answer I was given was anti-Christ.
This lead to a further query as who then, in Islam, is 'the Christ'?

Fo me as a Christian, the Christ is Jesus, the son of God and saviour of mankind, as prophesied in the Old Testament.
The name is taken from the Greek word Christos, meaning 'the anointed one'.
Christ is not Jesus' name, but his title.

That's just to give a bit of background. Now back to my original question:
Who is the Christ in Islamic terms?

Thanks, and peace

peace be upon those who follow righteous guidence glo,

first of all we must point out the bible is a corrupted document, that has been changed repeatedly down through the ages and which has dubious authenicity, however muslims do believe in an original Gospel given to Jesus Christ (peace be upon him) but that little of this survives in the present document but that is a whole other discussion.

however sticking to what islam says and what your bible says then jesus christ (peace be upon him) to muslims was a prophet of God who came to tell the people the people of israel of the true message of God as they had gone astray.

yes his birth was miraculous, but so was adam's (peace be upon him) creation.

i believe many christians are confused over some of these terms, as you point out Christ means appointed so Herod, the enemy of Jesus (peace be upon him) is called Herod Christ because he was put in place as king.

however bible translators miss out this bit in translations and put herod annointed not herod christ because to christians the word christ has taken on a greater meaning than it is intended.

there are many christs in the bible, like you said it means annointed but it isnt something that does more than distinguish someone who is a king or someone who is of royal blood.

it is the same with the term 'son of God' which is used to mean friend of God or someone close to God through their piety, simular to the word Awliyah in arabic which means friend of God.

there are so many Son's of God in the bible that it is difficult to count them all, David (peace be upon him) is refered to as a son of God, as are many other prophets so really once again it is misunderstanding often through translation of these terms which were clear to the aramaic and hebrew speaking original followers of Jesus Christ (peace be upon him).

however once again, bible translators will miss out the son of God bit when referring to these pious holy men, or put something else there.

so to conclude, Jesus Christ (peace be upon him) was a pious and holy prophet of God, a man who came to deliver a message to the people of israel first and foremost but he is not a literal son of God, nor is he part of a trinity of Gods all in one God or anything such like.

peace be upon those who follow righteous guidence,
Daw'ud

glo
05-03-2006, 06:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
peace be upon those who follow righteous guidence glo,

first of all we must point out the bible is a corrupted document, that has been changed repeatedly down through the ages and which has dubious authenicity, however muslims do believe in an original Gospel given to Jesus Christ (peace be upon him) but that little of this survives in the present document but that is a whole other discussion.

however sticking to what islam says and what your bible says then jesus christ (peace be upon him) to muslims was a prophet of God who came to tell the people the people of israel of the true message of God as they had gone astray.

yes his birth was miraculous, but so was adam's (peace be upon him) creation.

i believe many christians are confused over some of these terms, as you point out Christ means appointed so Herod, the enemy of Jesus (peace be upon him) is called Herod Christ because he was put in place as king.

however bible translators miss out this bit in translations and put herod annointed not herod christ because to christians the word christ has taken on a greater meaning than it is intended.

there are many christs in the bible, like you said it means annointed but it isnt something that does more than distinguish someone who is a king or someone who is of royal blood.

it is the same with the term 'son of God' which is used to mean friend of God or someone close to God through their piety, simular to the word Awliyah in arabic which means friend of God.

there are so many Son's of God in the bible that it is difficult to count them all, David (peace be upon him) is refered to as a son of God, as are many other prophets so really once again it is misunderstanding often through translation of these terms which were clear to the aramaic and hebrew speaking original followers of Jesus Christ (peace be upon him).

however once again, bible translators will miss out the son of God bit when referring to these pious holy men, or put something else there.

so to conclude, Jesus Christ (peace be upon him) was a pious and holy prophet of God, a man who came to deliver a message to the people of israel first and foremost but he is not a literal son of God, nor is he part of a trinity of Gods all in one God or anything such like.

peace be upon those who follow righteous guidence,
Daw'ud
Thank you, Daw'ud

There is not real need to dispute my beliefs - just answering the question would be fine! :)

So for Muslims 'the Christ' (the term having a different meaning) is also Jesus?
That answers my question.
Thank you so much! :)

God bless,

rahi
05-04-2006, 03:12 PM
dajjal is a person who will kill by Mahdi the redeemer.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.