/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Female Muslim Actress Who wears Hijab!!!

Rabi'ya
05-03-2006, 12:35 PM
'I want to open people's minds'

Sara's aunt is an actress in Iran and inspired her
Sara Kohal is no ordinary aspiring actress. The 20-year-old wears the hijab, the traditional head-covering worn by many Muslim women.
She freely admits she is a wannabe, scrambling to get a foothold in a notoriously difficult profession.

But as a practising Muslim, she faces all sorts of obstacles when she portrays a character. She does not drink or smoke, she must be careful about touching men - and obviously she cannot show anything other than her face and hands.

She contacted the BBC News website because she was frustrated by the lack of opportunity and because she wants to see greater representation of Muslim women on stage and screen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the age of 13, Sara joined the Junior Television Workshop in Nottingham and has performed on stage, both at school and at university, since then. She was also selected for a part in the ITV children's series Dangerville.

In her gap year, she auditioned for Rada and got through to the final interview. Now she's studying genetics at Bristol University - the fall-back plan, she calls it - but is still approaching agents and directors for work.

If you are going to walk in and most of your head is covered and you're not going to remove your scarf, that is your blank canvas

Jean Rogers, Equity
The response has not always been encouraging. One agent replied saying there would be no scope for someone who wore the hijab.

"If you wear your headscarf all the time I would also advise you that a career in acting would not be suitable," it reads.

"Not only are actors required to be flexible with their image you may also find yourself compromised in terms of content in scripts."

Sara says her image should not be the only thing a director sees.

"I've never seen it as a restriction, for me it's a creative challenge how I can make it believable and yet get around it," Sara says.

Sara sees the constraints of her religion as creative challenges

She points out that she knows some parts would not work -"I would never put myself up for the part of Juliet, I will always go for the nurse" - but says there are few parts she doesn't think are open to her, providing the director has the imagination.

But surely that's the problem? She is asking a director to limit his or her creative freedom. Jean Rogers, vice president of Equity, says Sara is limiting herself because drama is a visual industry - and so there is always going to be an element of discrimination.

"People make suppositions on what they see. Unless you get the chance to be told what they are after, most actors try to play down anything they think will put people off. You try to be a blank canvas.

"If you are going to walk in and most of your head is covered and you're not going to remove your scarf, that is your blank canvas.

Sara points out that she can wear a wig or a hat to cover her head. And she's hardly alone in creating restrictions for herself: plenty of actors have nudity clauses in film contracts, for example.

A career in genetics beckons if acting does not work out

Sara's views go beyond her own career though. She wants to see a broader representation of Muslim women on stage and screen.

There are female Muslim detectives, nurses and office workers in modern Britain, she says. "That's not represented at all.

"I've never seen a Muslim woman in a drama or anything, playing a part other than either a terrorist, a drug smuggler or a woman being abused at home. I think that's wrong - that's not what Muslim women are about. It's a minority image of them."

She wants to see a nurse on Casualty wearing the hijab, for instance. "The first one you will see will be 'Wow, we've never seen this before', but people will get used to it."

Opening minds

Ms Rogers points out that we have a tradition of experimental theatre in Britain - but that commercial TV, for instance, will not branch out.

But she believes Sara has a point about ethnic minority representation. "A lot of ethnic minorities could say the same. There's got to be a 'token black person'."

The BBC says it is committed to reflecting diversity.

We see lots of women adopting traditional dress and yet very rarely represented within drama both in terms of TV or live theatre

William Harris, lecturer

Sara says: "I do want to start opening people's minds about it because even if the roles are small, you can catch people's eyes. Even if you're in the background, people are going to say: 'oh?'.

"Once people start accepting they will see you in bigger roles.

"I do want the bigger roles and open their eyes to what could be. It will happen."

Fine actors

William Harris, senior lecturer in drama at Middlesex University, says it is important students like Sara are encouraged. "Otherwise, we are missing out on a large section of the community we need to understand."

He points out that drama makers are not there to change society - they are there to entertain. "Thinking beyond the archetype can be difficult because you've got your audience in mind.

"The audience has to believe what it's being offered. It's possible to change attitudes in society but it's not their first port of call."

Aspirants like Sara are in a double bind, he says: we need them to portray an under-represented part of the community, and yet they cannot receive the full professional training because of the limitations their faith puts on them.

"We see lots of women adopting traditional dress and yet very rarely represented within drama both in terms of TV or live theatre," he says.

But he thinks there is hope, citing the way young black actors 10 or 15 years ago were chosen to play parts because of their colour; now they are chosen simply because they are fine actors.

"There's a possibility that change could be made," he says. "It takes young actors and playwrights and film-makers of courage to make the change."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4964222.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mawaddah
05-03-2006, 12:38 PM
An actress who wears Hijab? that's not something new........to me at least :)

There are quite a few well known ones in Malaysia such as Wardina.

There are also female singers in Malaysia who wear the hijab.........yes, like singers who sing real SONGS, for example Waheeda.

I think it's stupid though, whats the use of wearing Hijab, when the job itself is Haram?

afriend
05-03-2006, 03:05 PM
I think it's stupid though, whats the use of wearing Hijab, when the job itself is Haram?
LOL Yeah!

I've seen air attendants with the hijaab, but the whole body is showing..Such hypocricy

------
05-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Yup.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Shukria
05-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Some of dem r not Muslims..It's just a requirement of da job to wear it...

Mawaddah
05-03-2006, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
LOL Yeah!

I've seen air attendants with the hijaab, but the whole body is showing..Such hypocricy

On Malaysian Airlines, the stewardesses (sp?) cannot wear the Khimar. And some of these ladies usually wear the Khimar back home. So when they get off the plane, they will don these khimars on their heads..........but it looks so ridiculous!! because the Kebaya (malaysian traditional attire) they are wearing has a skirt that opens up all the way to the upper thigh!! ;D

some people are just so ignorant eh? Astaghfirullah:X

Lina
05-03-2006, 05:14 PM
:sl:

Have we heared about Denmark and 'Adam og Asmaa'?
The hijaab wearing muslima; presenter of a Danish programme.

:w:

afriend
05-03-2006, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AsilahRana
On Malaysian Airlines, the stewardesses (sp?) cannot wear the Khimar. And some of these ladies usually wear the Khimar back home. So when they get off the plane, they will don these khimars on their heads..........but it looks so ridiculous!! because the Kebaya (malaysian traditional attire) they are wearing has a skirt that opens up all the way to the upper thigh!! ;D

some people are just so ignorant eh? Astaghfirullah:X
No..I saw them wearing those head things......

Sister_6038
05-03-2006, 05:41 PM
is that in regards to erm acting in general or that singing woman....

Mawaddah
05-03-2006, 07:44 PM
You were on Malaysian Airlines Bro Iqram? :?

is that in regards to erm acting in general or that singing woman....
Both :)

north_malaysian
05-04-2006, 02:09 AM
TV3 is the only tv channel in Malaysia having hijab clad women as presenter.

Waheeda, Bienda, Ogy Ahmad Daud and Rahimah Rahim are singers who wears hijab.

Wardina Safiyyah, Sarimah are actress who wears hijab.

Plus, Malaysia have many shampoo tv ads having hijab women as models.

But I wonder why those McDonalds workers wear hijab with short sleeves shirts?:rollseyes

Muslimaatan
05-04-2006, 04:22 AM
actress n hijab don't go together..it's harram, cuz even in islamic movies, bout the prophet and islam, they take the hijab off when at home (tv screen) what's the point? And a singer with hijab?? some1 shouldof tolldd me..lolzz
ya subhaana Allah..

extinction
05-04-2006, 04:30 AM
and obviously she cannot show anything other than her face
she can show her face to hundreds possibly thousands of men? its an oxymoron really a hijabi actress or a hijabi singer

syilla
05-04-2006, 04:38 AM
wow... nice discussion here...

there are alot of example where jobs make them dress inappropriately (i mean islamic way)

hmm... let me think...

during the christmas month... they wear santa hat on hijabs...

i always think thats funny...

extinction
05-04-2006, 04:41 AM
what next hijaabi strippers??(just trying to make a point dont give me a warn or something)

Ummu Amatullah
05-04-2006, 04:55 AM
:sl:

Masha'Allah that is soo inspirational.Think of how many muslim sisters have dreams of becoming actresses,and movie stars.This sister is such a great example of a devoit Muslimah.This sister really showed what courage is really & truly about.Courage isn't sticking up to someone or fighting them physically,but courage is doing something,which other's aren't in favour of.This sister safeguarding her deen and preserving the covenant she made with her lord isn't the most favourable thing by others,but Masha'Allah this sister has spirit and has commitment.She stuck tightly to her Jilbab,she stuck with the Kalimah of her lord.May Allah reward her ameen.

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
05-04-2006, 09:05 AM
yup, how bout we all send the actress a tape of the sound of our laughter at her ridiculousness?

Mawaddah
05-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Edit

IbnAbdulHakim
05-04-2006, 03:34 PM
;D ;D Bro Abd'Majid I think that's a great Idea (not :p ) She'll probably just say " oh those poor extremists" ;D

Do you know, this reminds me of these Malaysian Nasyid groups, Raihan and Rabbani......they're pretty famous in the U.K. too I think. So anyways, before their nashids were composed mainly of Duff and that, but lately they've been coming out with this HEAVY music and put it under the title 'nasheed'

So anyway, I was listening to the Islamic radio station in Malaysia IKIM and so one of the callers called in and asked why do they put so much musical instruments if they know its' haram? and the stupid lead singer goes....." well......it's because that's the kind of music that attracts youngsters these days, and we want to give da'wah, so we make it like that so they can enjoy listening to it and plus get da'wah the same time.......dont make the Deen difficult, we're trying to do good "

I was like What the...????? ;D ;D it's scary though the way people change islam to suit their needs :offended:
whats the address for this group :rant: oh boy im gnna write one henched up scary letter!!!!!

NJUSA
05-05-2006, 02:28 AM
Well, I wear hijab, and I sing in the course of teaching, or just any time I feel like it. I have heard of a hijabi stripper - it's actually pretty sad. Her parents disowned her, and she turned to stripping to pay the huge debts they left her with; I think it was something like $40,000.00 USD, plus her living expenses that she had to earn. :grumbling
I wish I could get back into acting- I did it when I was a kid, loved it.

Muslim Knight
11-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Actresses wearing hijab isn't the exciting new phenomenon. This kind of hype is all too familiar over here.

Only appearances have changed to woo the largely Muslim spectators. The main point is that the gist of movies and dramas here has pretty much remained the same. No re-introduction of Muslim values (heck, no family value at all!), exploitation of beautiful faces and discrimination against the average.

Pygoscelis
11-13-2007, 05:28 PM
It is just hillarious that she insists on wearing hajib at all times and then complains about not being able to find work as an ACTRESS.

syilla
11-14-2007, 12:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
An actress who wears Hijab? that's not something new........to me at least :)

There are quite a few well known ones in Malaysia such as Wardina.

There are also female singers in Malaysia who wear the hijab.........yes, like singers who sing real SONGS, for example Waheeda.

You are right in Indonesia and Malaysia we have lots of them.

The one who wear hijab and sing nasheed...actress and some are very careful when comes to touching and showing off the awrah. for example waheeda.

We even have a woman malaysian solo antartic expeditor who wears hijab :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.