/* */

PDA

View Full Version : hijab or jilbab ?

"..MariAm.."
05-04-2006, 02:00 PM
:w: :sister:
dear muslims:
just wanted to clear a concept and to know sumfing :
..... i am being confused all the time wen some sisters says that they do hijab .....so um watz hijab ?? is that only covering body and not face ??
and y do people say that hijab is obligatory for all the muslim women but covering face jilbab/niqab is optional ......but y ? i mean y do ppl say that covering face is optional wen its plainly written in Quran :
"Prophet! Tell Thy wives and daughters, And the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over. That is most convenient, That they should be know and not molested. And God is Oft- forgiving, Most Merciful." (al-ahzab -59)
and then again ALLAH tells muslim women that they have to hide themselve with a cloth over their body and faces from every men except as in the following ayat ALLAH sayz :
"There is no blame (On these ladies when they Appear) before their fathers, Or their sons, their brothers, Or their brothers' sons, Or their sisters' sons, Or their women, Or the whom the (slaves) their right hand possess. And, (ladies), fear ALLAH; For ALLAH is Witness To all things." (al-ahzab-55)
and in the explanation of the ayat-59
jilbab , plurul jalabib: an outer garment ; a long garment whole body, or a cloak covering the face, bosom.
so plz correct me ........and tell me that why u (sum of u) declare covering face to be optional? and if not ............then i just wanna ask dear sisterz that y dont u cover ur beautiful faces? made by One And Only ALLAH becoz the beauty of ur face needs to be hidin from men ......
plz tell me ur answers and correct me if i m wrong :)
wasalam
jazakumullah khairun

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MetSudaisTwice
05-04-2006, 02:03 PM
salam
hijab is the head scarf, niqaab is the face cover (veil) and jilbab is the long dress to cover the body
wasalam

NahidSarvy
05-04-2006, 02:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
hijab is the head scarf, niqaab is the face cover (veil) and jilbab is the long dress to cover the body
wasalam
In modern usage, you mean. The actual name for the headscarf is khimar, as is used in Sûratu n-Nur, 30-31. Hijab actually means "a curtain" - a sheet hung to divide or subdivide rooms. However, it has taken on the meaning of "veil" in the modern day, at least in English.

Jilbâb was originally a outer cloak of Ethiopian origin; nowadays it seems to be used for a long dress, but it doesn't have this meaning in the Qur'ân.

Umm Yoosuf
05-04-2006, 04:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ..MariAm..
:w: :sister:
dear muslims:
just wanted to clear a concept and to know sumfing :
..... i am being confused all the time wen some sisters says that they do hijab .....so um watz hijab ?? is that only covering body and not face ??
and y do people say that hijab is obligatory for all the muslim women but covering face jilbab/niqab is optional ......but y ? i mean y do ppl say that covering face is optional wen its plainly written in Quran :
"Prophet! Tell Thy wives and daughters, And the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over. That is most convenient, That they should be know and not molested. And God is Oft- forgiving, Most Merciful." (al-ahzab -59)
and then again ALLAH tells muslim women that they have to hide themselve with a cloth over their body and faces from every men except as in the following ayat ALLAH sayz :
"There is no blame (On these ladies when they Appear) before their fathers, Or their sons, their brothers, Or their brothers' sons, Or their sisters' sons, Or their women, Or the whom the (slaves) their right hand possess. And, (ladies), fear ALLAH; For ALLAH is Witness To all things." (al-ahzab-55)
and in the explanation of the ayat-59
jilbab , plurul jalabib: an outer garment ; a long garment whole body, or a cloak covering the face, bosom.
so plz correct me ........and tell me that why u (sum of u) declare covering face to be optional? and if not ............then i just wanna ask dear sisterz that y dont u cover ur beautiful faces? made by One And Only ALLAH becoz the beauty of ur face needs to be hidin from men ......
plz tell me ur answers and correct me if i m wrong :)
wasalam
jazakumullah khairun
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaahi Wa Barakatuh:sister:

Sister theres is difference of opinion among the 'Ulimah regarding the Niqaab. Some say its wajib and other don't consider it wajib. Each of them give their reasons from Quran and Sunnah. This is one of the issues where the 'ulimah differ:sister:

The likes of shaykh 'uthaimain and shaykh Ibn Baz Rahimullah consider it obligory, whereas shaykh Al-Albani saids its Mustahaba and not obligtory.

A number of topics have been done regarding the Niqaab

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...ghlight=Niqaab

http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...ghlight=Niqaab

Please go through the threads.

And since this is not a fiqh board

This is not a Fiqh discussion board. Prolonged threads arguing over Fatwas and the details of Islamic law will be closed. Avoid asking questions that require a Scholar or Shaykh, as there is no one on the board qualified to answer your questions. Please use other knowledgeable means such as a scholar, Imam or knowledgeable person in your area or provide sources.
Maybe the thread should come to a close:uhwhat

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummah
05-04-2006, 04:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NahidSarvy
In modern usage, you mean. The actual name for the headscarf is khimar, as is used in Sûratu n-Nur, 30-31. Hijab actually means "a curtain" - a sheet hung to divide or subdivide rooms. However, it has taken on the meaning of "veil" in the modern day, at least in English.

Jilbâb was originally a outer cloak of Ethiopian origin; nowadays it seems to be used for a long dress, but it doesn't have this meaning in the Qur'ân.
jazakhAllah for this definition and explanation

wa'alaikum asalaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.