/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ''Abu Dujana has Worn the Red Band of Death''

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-05-2006, 10:20 AM
''Abu Dujana has Worn the Red Band of Death''

In the battle of Uhud, countless acts of courage can be noted from several of the Sahaba. Abu Dujana, recognized by the red band worn round his head, came forth, fighting with the sword of the Prophet (peace be upon him). He was determined to pay its price at all costs. He slaughtered all the idolaters that stood on his way splitting and dispersing their ranks. Az-Zubair bin Al-'Awwam said, "I felt angry and discouraged when the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) refused to give me the sword but instead gave it to Abu Dujana. I said to myself, 'I am his paternal cousin. I am the cousin of his aunt Safiya. Also, I am from his tribe (Quraish). Besides, I was the first who demanded it and yet he favoured him to me. By Allah, I will watch how he will use it.' So I followed him and saw him take out his red band and wear it round his head.

Seeing him like that, the Ansar said, 'Abu Dujana has worn the red band of death'..

Then he (Abu Dujana) set out saying loudly (in the form of poetry), 'I am the one whom my intimate friend [the Prophet (peace be upon him)] made covenant with, when we were under the palm-trees on the mountain side. The covenant was that I would not fight at the rear, but fight at the front heroically with the sword of Allah and His Messenger.' During this battle no one stood the way of Abu Dujana and remained alive. There was a man among the idolaters whose only objective was to finish off the wounded Muslims. During the fight, Abu Dujana approached that man; so I (Az-Zubair bin Al-'Awwam) implored Allah that they might engage in combat. They did start fighting and exchanged two sword-strokes. The idolater swung at Abu Dujana, but he escaped it and the sword pierced into his (Abu Dujana's) leather shield. The idolater's sword now stuck to his shield, Abu Dujana lunged at that Kafir with his sword and killed him. Then into the thick of the battle, he rushed to kill a person who was inciting the enemy to fight the Muslims. Upon this the person shrieked and lo! it was a woman. Abu Dujana spared her saying, 'I respect the Prophet's (peace be upon him) sword too much to use it on a woman.' The woman was Hind bint 'Utbah (the wife of Abu Sufyan who was leading the Quraish army against the Muslims, who later became Muslim)."

[Ibn Hisham Vol. 2 pg.68-69]

Describing the same incident, Az-Zubair bin Al-'Awwam said, "I saw Abu Dujana raising a sword over the parting of Hind bint 'Utba's hair but then he moved it away. I said to myself, 'Allah and His Messenger know best.' (i.e. why he didn't kill her)."

[Ibn Hisham Vol. 2 pg. 69]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mizan_aliashraf
05-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Salam
Subhanallah, just makes you think
The shuhadaa are so fortunate
May Allah make us like them
Wassalam

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-05-2006, 10:27 AM
ameen thumma ameen!
:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
05-05-2006, 03:57 PM
subhanALlah, i love that story!!!! i love all the heroics of the sahaba's stories!! :'(!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MinAhlilHadeeth
05-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Yeah masha-Allah, he was a great companion! Everyone should know his story.
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.