/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Positive Thinking

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-06-2006, 07:48 PM
:sl:

attachmentphp?attachmentid1269&ampd1146946260 -

Here's something new for both our Muslim and Non-Muslim members who have now been with us on our Islamic forum for some time. First question:
Name something positive that you have learned about Islam while on the forum.
And if you feel that you have also learnt about the other ways of life from this forum then you may answer:
Name something positive that you have learned about one of the other non-muslim faiths/ways of life while on the forum.
By something positive I mean any teaching that you found beautiful, any concept that you really liked, any view that you agreed very much with, maybe some belief that you found compatible with your own faith that you didn't expect the other faith to hold, etc.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
05-06-2006, 07:52 PM

Great thread akhee :) and WOW it looks amazing

Name something positive that you have learned about one of the other non-muslim faiths/ways of life while on the forum.
A very valuable thing i learned from this thread is you should never push your views to such an extent that you ignore the views of the person your discussing with. Refutations are impossible when you are not openminded! Buddhism has intrigued me, some of trumbles views are quit refreshing :).

You need to see things from the other persons point of view carefully only then can you make them understand exactly where they are wronging! Preach in a beautiful manner, manners go a long way ;).

JazakAllah khair BarakAllah feekum

Theres much more akhee, i'll post it as it comes to me :)

------
05-06-2006, 07:54 PM
I've learnt more about the depth of lslam and the views of it. Jazakallah! :sister:

aamirsaab
05-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Ah finally some positivity! :D
For me: the fact that there are others who have similar views on certain topics is always pleasing to hear. I particularly like hearing points from the following members: Imaad udeen, takumi, genius, czgibson, heigou and glo.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansar Al-'Adl
05-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Good start but remember - try to be specific! [i.e. answer my questions!] It makes it more interesting :coolbro:

And this thread is for both Muslims and Non-Muslims :)

Trumble
05-06-2006, 09:54 PM
I think the thing that has struck me most is not so much about Islam, as about muslims themselves - the depth of faith shown by many of you which I both respect and admire. Although, for obvious reasons, I can't share the opinion is has to be the one religion, I think that if many more people shared that depth of faith the world would be a much better place - whatever the afterlife (or the next life), may have in store for us.

PrIM3
05-07-2006, 12:34 AM
I learned a lot while on this forum. I always thought that muslims were those from the middleeast killing people... but then I soon realized that islam doesn't teach that.

and since I've been on this forum I have grown in my own faith

Abdullah4ever
05-07-2006, 12:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PrIM3
I learned a lot while on this forum. I always thought that muslims were those from the middleeast killing people... but then I soon realized that islam doesn't teach that.

and since I've been on this forum I have grown in my own faith

Thats good you realize musilms are middleeast beast killing people.. :thankyou:

glo
05-07-2006, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
I respect the devotion and love Muslims have for Allah. :)

I admire the clarity with which some of the non-Muslims ask questions and approach topics. It certainly makes me think sometimes.
And it enables us all to actively work with our faiths, rather than following them blindly.

All in all we are a nice bunch of people here! :thankyou:

Peace.

Umm Yoosuf
05-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum

Nice thread Masha Allah.

There are many postive things that I have learnt about Islam. Hmmm…. If its one thing its got to be Why two women witnesses?…. The misconception about this so phenomenal! When you look into Islam from authentic sources one relies the beauty and the wisdom behind the witness of two women. …

Sikhism- it’s a really interesting religion. I didn’t know it had some similarities with Islam at all! Basically I didn’t know Guru Nanak went to Hajj and had Muslim friends and most importantly worshipped only one God alone subhnallah.

Eric H
05-09-2006, 12:32 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Ansar, and thank you for starting this thread.

I admire the Muslim devotion and discipline to prayer.

I like the way Buddhists meditate and how they tell stories about morals.

I admire the Salvation Army in how they go out into the community doing soup kitchens, helping the homeless, in Britain they are second to the social services in the amount of work they do helping the disadvantaged.

I like the theology in all faiths that inspires people to strive towards a greater interfaith understanding and friendship. The theology of peace and reconciliation, the power to forgive and to love your neighbours as you love yourself.

The understanding that the God who created my friends also created my perceived enemies, and it is for me to try and brake down the barriers that exist in my own mind, so that I might have a greater consideration for all of God’s creation.

Allah chooses whom he wills, and it seems that he has chosen each one of us in many different ways. I look on my faith as a gift from God, and in talking to people of other faiths I believe that their faith is also a gift from the same God. It seems that one of our greatest challenges is to accept that we cannot change that which God wills for other people.

In the spirit of seeking greater interfaith friendships

Eric

Umm Yoosuf
05-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi Eric

I have noticed you have great respect for all relgions or shall say anything or everything people belief in (in terms of faith)...Do you not consider that some people are misguided and thus following a fasle belief? Or do you think everyone is guided and is worshipping God in many ways that is suitable to their desires and wishes?

IbnAbdulHakim
05-11-2006, 04:02 PM

^ no offence to the sister wiv clearly good intentions but wouldnt answering that cause him to go offtopic?

I have learnt: There are more proofs for islam then i had imagined, subhanAllah just from the conviction and strife of so many muslims strengthens my faith even more!

------
05-11-2006, 04:07 PM
I have learnt...........how to get attached to things! Alhamdulillah this forum is back! :D

Eric H
05-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Al-Mu'minah;

I have a great faith in God through the Catholic Church but faith is not proof, it hangs on beliefs. If I am honest with myself there is the possibility that my beliefs could be wrong,

As such I sense we are all in the same boat and really we each need to try and live as morally a good a life as possible. I also feel there is the need to pray for each other that we may all find salvation, I have family and friends who are not Catholic and I would not like to see them burn in hell fire.

It seems strange that the same God gives you sufficient proof to follow Islam, he gives me sufficient proof to follow Christianity and he gives proof to others in many diverse ways.

Somehow I see the greater challenge being how do we get on with people who are different to ourselves?

In the spirit of seeking a greater interfaith friendship

Eric

glo
05-11-2006, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
I have learnt...........how to get attached to things! Alhamdulillah this forum is back! :D
And here I thought getting attached to things was not Islamic! ;D
(Only joking!)

peace.

Umm Yoosuf
05-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Greetings Eric

I have a great faith in God through the Catholic Church but faith is not proof, it hangs on beliefs. If I am honest with myself there is the possibility that my beliefs could be wrong,
Wrong? So really you don't have much hope? How can you possibility follow a religion you think could be wrong?

As such I sense we are all in the same boat and really we each need to try and live as morally a good a life as possible.
Actually no, i think thats were we differ, i have faith in my religion and i don't think it could ever be wrong. I believe its the truth, the way to paradise, peace and salvation. And only it is Allah who guides whom He wills to the truth.

And by the way i don't think you really answered by questions....

Do you not consider that some people are misguided and thus following a fasle belief? Or do you think everyone is guided and is worshipping God in many ways that is suitable to their desires and wishes?

seek.learn
05-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Salaam o alaikum,
Peace.

Indeed a great thread!

Learnt about Other Faiths:

I forget which thread it was but it had posts from Nicola and Nimrod in regards with christianity that I found beautiful in their own way. Gave me a greater understanding of the faith.
Also, learnt everything I know so far about sikhism. Very interesting and something Id love to know more about.

Learnt About Islam:
Alot of in-depth topics, too many to mention. Learnt alot, Alhamdulillah.

JazakAllah for the great thread.
Alaikum Salaam

duskiness
10-10-2006, 10:37 AM
I haven't notice this thread befor so sorry for making another one...

We all know where we disagree.
But are there some things you like/respect/look up to in other faiths?

for me:
Islam:
- i love islamic architecture
- i think that Muslim way of prying is very moving (in eye's of bystander)
- i think it takes courage to wear hijab
- i like it for it's simplicity
trying to be more specific:
5:32 Because of this did We ordain unto the children of Israel that if anyone slays a human being-unless it be [in punishment] for murder or for spreading corruption on earth-it shall be as though he had slain all mankind; whereas, if anyone saves a life, it shall be as though he had saved the lives of all mankind
4:35 God is the light of the heavens and the earth. The parable of His light is, as it were, [50] that of a niche containing a lamp; the lamp is [enclosed] in glass, the glass [shining] like a radiant star: [51] [a lamp] lit from a blessed tree - an olive-tree that is neither of the east nor of the west [52] the oil whereof [is so bright that it] would well-nigh give light [of itself] even though fire had not touched it: light upon light!

Buddhism
- sometimes seem to me that buddhists have sharper perception of this crazy word.
- i respect them for this calm acceptance of belief that there is nothing on "the other side"
- i simply like their composure
trying to be more specific:
I take upon myself... the deeds of all beings, even of those in the hells, in other worlds, in the realms of punishment... I take their suffering upon me,... I bear it, I do not draw back from it, I do not tremble at it ... I have no fear of it,... I do not lose heart... I must bear the burden of all beings, for I have vowed to save all things living, to bring them safe through the forest of birth, age, disease, death and rebirth. I think not of my own salvation, but strive to bestow on all beings the royalty of supreme wisdom. So I take upon myself all the sorrows of all beings. I resolve to bear every torment in every purgatory of the universe. For it is better that I alone suffer than the multitude of living beings. I give myself in exchange. I redeem the universe from the forest of purgatory, from the womb of flesh, from the realm of death. I agree to suffer as a ransom for all beings, for the sake of all beings. Truly I will not abandon them. For I have resolved to gain supreme wisdom for the sake of all that lives, to save the world."
- it's so Christ "style" :giggling:

Judaism
- Jew are like God's sign through history. how not to like them :D
- i respect them for their solidarity

and Sikhs...that's a problem because i haven't seen/met any in real life...but i like their head cover. And their faithfullness to their way of life.
n.

Re.TiReD
10-10-2006, 10:42 AM

the spirituality in meditation (buddhism) :) although we (Muslims) would probably call it Dhikr :D :w:

جوري
10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Judaism
I like that I can have Kosher food when Halal food isn't available.....
Christianity
I like Gothic structure..... I like some of the Psalms as they tend to be poetic and I love poetry, I love the stained glass of churches and the candles ... art history has always been such a hobby of mine ... and no one told biblical stories in art as much as the Christians ... basically because it is a sin to depict characters in paintings in both Islam and Judaism... Christianity has an account of these..... it is amusing to go to a museum and see a painting of something and know exactly what the story behind it is........ from Jacopo to Titian to masaccio and the rest.....love the gardens of the cloisters...
Islam
well, … everything really! Everyone from all over the world is included, which makes me feel that it is global and not exclusive to people in particular.....
I love the height of Islamic renaissance, everything from math, to architecture, to geography, to invention of lenses by IbN Alhytham to that wondrous clock of Harun Al-Raschid (Aaron the upright) the poetry that is truly incomparable ... to of course every aspect of religious practice......
Hinduism
Well, I like the mythology, reminds me somewhat of Greek Mythology only with an eastern twist.....
Zoroasternism
I like that they have this bizarre, unique burial ritual.....it really is the most unusual of its kind.... It addresses the Zenith of my fears short of an autopsy... I can't think of a more unusual end to human life..... Reminds me of stories I used to read as a child from GULLIVER'S travels
Buddhism
I love the simplistic life style.......
Tired now need sleep..... but this is a good exercise for everyone!

Snowflake
10-10-2006, 11:09 AM
I like nothing about other faiths that deny the Oneness of Allah, His revelations and His messenger.

Eric H
10-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Muslimah_Sis;

I like nothing about other faiths that deny the Oneness of Allah, His revelations and His messenger.
In the Bible there are many references of ‘oneness’ and I believe it is at the heart of Christian teaching. A man shall leave his parents and become as one with his wife. There are many differences between a man and a woman, yet somehow all these differences need to be overcome so there is a feeling of oneness in the marriage. When you examine more carefully the greatest form of oneness in marriage it is about love, forgiveness, looking after and caring for each other. This requires a certain amount of sacrifice by both parties..

There are a number of passages where Christ says he is one with the Father, and I look at this as two separate divinities being as one in a perfect relationship. Christ talks of being as one with his church, he talks of the church as being one body with many parts.

In Christianity it is said we are all created in the image of God, and if you take this further I can look on you as a sister created in the image of God despite all our differences.

We seem stuck with our differences in belief, but I believe that our God still intended for all his creation to grow in oneness and friendship somehow.:)

In the spirit of searching for a greater interfaith understanding and friendship

Eric

Keltoi
10-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Well, I've learned quite a bit about Islam and my respect for Islam has grown since I've been a member of this forum. Most of the Muslim members are very knowledgable of their faith and are quite patient in correcting misconceptions and falsehoods that are out there about Islam. I've been a member of quite a few discussion forums, but this one seem to keep my interest in ways the others do not.

glo
10-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Well said, Keltoi!
I agree with your post.

Peace

Muezzin
10-11-2006, 08:10 PM
A pair of non-Muslims in World Affairs (they know who they are! :p) frequently irritate, infuriate, exasperate and yet... stimulate and educate me with their views.

I hold them in the utmost respect because they value their beliefs enough to come onto this forum as a minority and defend them. It takes backbone and courage to do that, and for that, and the sort of quasi-education they have given me about how things are on the other side of the fence so to speak, I salute them.

Also, Keltoi, Trumble, glo, czgibson, therebbe, snakelegs, Ninth Scribe, EricH, AvarAllahNoor and duskiness all rock and all have my respect.

syilla
10-12-2006, 02:45 AM
1. i learn from other non-muslim members...to be true of yourself...and to accept our own weaknesses...

2. i learn from the muslims...

a. i should lower myself more...because i'm not better off than the others.... wearing hijab doesn't mean i'm better than who is not wearing it (it is just a beginning of a journey) and etc....

b. i learn that feeling guilty of low imaan...should make us more productive and not the other way round... i should not be frustrated with my self...instead i should try my best to improve and accept for what i am.

snakelegs
10-13-2006, 12:25 AM
First question:
i think the thing i like the best is the value muslims place on learning. i also admire the strong condemnation of "back biting".

And if you feel that you have also learnt about the other ways of life from this forum then you may answer:
:
i've learned how much alike the various religions are and i think that's cool!

Pygoscelis
10-13-2006, 07:56 AM
I'm still very new here but so far .. hmm .. what have I learned that is good about islam or muslims?

I've learned that not all muslims want to kill people who say something negative about islam.

I've learned that islam is not as built on guilt as christianity is. I live in a predominantly christian area and I find this refreshing.

I've always admired islamic architechture.

I've learned that muslims try to make up for wrongdoing by doing good and giving to charity. That I find extremely admirable.

AvarAllahNoor
10-19-2006, 10:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
Sikhism- it’s a really interesting religion. I didn’t know it had some similarities with Islam at all! Basically I didn’t know Guru Nanak went to Hajj and had Muslim friends and most importantly worshipped only one God alone subhnallah.
All it takes is a little research sister. - You have unlimted resources via the net. :)

So many beautiful stories of the journeys Guru Nanak and Bhai Mardana took. and Bahi Bala who was a hindu!

Bhai Mardana (1459-1534) was of the Muslim faith and a long term companion of the Sikh founder guru, Nanak throughout his extensive journeys across India and abroad. He was son of a Mirasi (A Professional group of genealogits) to the couple, Badra and Lakkho, of Talvandi Rai Bhoe, now Nankana Sahib, in Sheikhupura district of Pakistan. . Mardana came to Guru Nanak to seek help because many members of his family were passing on at a young age. Guru Nanak Dev ji told him not to worry and that his family members will no longer pass before their time hence the name "mar-da-na" meaning 'will not die' (in Punjabi) was given to Bhai Mardana.

Guru Nanak and Mardana grew up in the same village. The Miharbdn Janam Sakhi describes the latter, who was ten years senior in age, as the Guru's companion since his childhood days and as one who sang to him songs from Kabir, Trilochan, Ravidas, Dhanna and Bern. According to Ratan Singh Bhangu, Prachin Panth Prakash, Guru Nanak as a small boy gave Mardana a string instrument improvised from reeds to play on while he sang the hymns.

As Guru Nanak was employed to take charge of the granaries and stores of the Nawab of Sultanpur Lodhi, the stories of his generosity and hospitality spread far and wide. Mardana, already a married man and father of two sons and a daughter, wanted to visit Sultanpur and seek his bounty. Meanwhile, he was charged by Guru Nanak's father Mehta Kalu, to go to Sultanpur and bring news of the welfare of his son. Mardana went to Sultanpur, never to part company with Guru Nanak again. His occupation was playing the rabab or rebeck as Guru Nanak recited God's glory.

Rabi'ya
10-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Ive learnt that, no mat ter how much we think were different, there are more things in common between different religions than those things which separate us. IVe learnt to hold on to the things which bring us closer together instead of dividing us further apart.

Ive learnt to control my temper too :)

Rabi'ya:rose:

cihad
12-13-2006, 02:28 PM
i love this forum because everybody is prepared to learn from each other and we all have the same purpose of trying to find the truth

from muslims - i have learnt to become more islamically inclined - thanks guys!

from non-muslims - i have learnt not to stereotype all religions to the little knowledge that i have

this is a reaaly fab thread

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-31-2007, 05:14 AM

Bump

Malaikah
01-31-2007, 11:40 AM

I have learned heaps about Islam on this forum- ironically I can't think of anything right now. It has helped me become more of a critical thinker... Oh I learned about the great importance of unity and proper etiquette, and not speaking out of ignorance, and the beauty of sharing and spreading knowledge, and loving someone only for the sake of Allah.

About other religions, well the only good things I learned about them are those things that are 100% the same as Islam. :D

Jayda
01-31-2007, 12:50 PM

Here's something new for both our Muslim and Non-Muslim members who have now been with us on our Islamic forum for some time. First question:
By something positive I mean any teaching that you found beautiful, any concept that you really liked, any view that you agreed very much with, maybe some belief that you found compatible with your own faith that you didn't expect the other faith to hold, etc.

muchos gracias Ansar al-'Adl,

about islam i learned that muslims believe it encompasses everything in their lives, which is what i believe about Catholicism.

about judaism i learned that they believe motivation by fear of hell and not love of God is inappropriate, as Catholics believe.

Dios te bendiga

snakelegs
02-01-2007, 01:21 AM
off topic (i've already posted on this thread) - where is ansar these days?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.