/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Somali Muslim beaten and tortured to death by Canadian Soldiers

sonz
05-07-2006, 08:02 PM
im so shocked.

Warning: Some of this content might be seen obscene and/or offensive to the mind

On the night of March 16, 1993 in Baladwayne, Somalia, sixteen year old Shidane Arone sneaks into the Canadian Airborne Regiments quarters where he was tortured and beaten to death in the hands of racist Canadian soldiers. This remorseless act scarred the reputation of the Canadian military in the eyes of Canadians, as well as the international community. Watch this interesting clip covered by Point of View.

click on play
Media Tags are no longer supported

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sahraxx
05-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Subhanallah i cant beleive ppl would do this

Muezzin
05-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Racists suck harder than a Dyson. I hope the soldiers involved in the incident rot.

chacha_jalebi
05-07-2006, 08:18 PM
ameen i hope dey do, cos i dnt get d point of doin dis 2 sum1!!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
05-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Appalling racism.

Panatella
05-08-2006, 01:42 AM
There was such a public outcry in Canada when this went public that the canadians disbanded the Airborne Regiment. They still have an airforce, but this regiment that was considered "elite", exists no more.

shariq_0189
05-08-2006, 02:05 AM
wow astigfirullah...these guys must be proud of themselves...i kinda feel ashamed being a Canadian....never thought Canadians would do something.

Panatella
05-08-2006, 04:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by shariq_0189
wow astigfirullah...these guys must be proud of themselves...i kinda feel ashamed being a Canadian....never thought Canadians would do something.
No need for you to feel ashamed shariq, canadians spoke up, got angry, and let the canadian govt. know what they thought. The canadian government listened to it's people (unbelievable) and the airborne regiment was disbanded. The only guys that should feel shame are the ones that did this crime and those that allowed it to happen. I applaud canadians for caring enough to speak up when they are unhappy with the way they are being represented.

mbaig
05-08-2006, 05:37 AM
Great job done by the government to punish those who where guilty.

Panatella
05-08-2006, 05:47 AM
Somali Muslim beaten and tortured to death by Canadian Soldiers.
Sonz,
Why do you think that Shidane Arone was a muslim? I know that Somalia has a large muslim population, so there is a good chance that he was a muslim. But we should be sure of things before stating them. Could you provide the source you have that states he was muslim please? I have read much on the somali incident in the past and have never read that Shidane Arone was a muslim, this would be new information for me.
Thank you, I look forward to your post.

Trumble
05-08-2006, 06:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Panatella
Sonz,
Why do you think that Shidane Arone was a muslim? I know that Somalia has a large muslim population, so there is a good chance that he was a muslim. But we should be sure of things before stating them. Could you provide the source you have that states he was muslim please? I have read much on the somali incident in the past and have never read that Shidane Arone was a muslim, this would be new information for me.
Considering the demographics of Somalia it would seem very likely he was a muslim, although as you say that certainly seems to be just an assumption.

Actually, I think the fact that is unstated is probably to the credit of the press reporting the story; it is clearly not relevant. The video makes clear it was a purely racist attack and his religion, if any, was not significant.

HeiGou
05-08-2006, 08:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
im so shocked.
Really? Thirteen years after the event you're still shocked? May I ask why it has taken you such a long time to get around to being shocked about this? And why you did not mention (a) that many of the soldiers who did this were First Nations and (b) the Canadian public and government came down on them like a ton of bricks disbanding the regiment?

What is the relevance of this footage to this site? Do you think that people need to be reminded of decades old crimes? If so, why?

mizan_aliashraf
05-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Salam
Seeing such events just hurt so much. If only muslims were united against such people then we wouldn't have idiots like those who dare to go around doing such things.
May Allah curse them
Wassalam

HeiGou
05-08-2006, 08:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mizan_aliashraf
Seeing such events just hurt so much. If only muslims were united against such people then we wouldn't have idiots like those who dare to go around doing such things.
Really? If Canadians are doing this what do you think the Egyptian Army is doing? The difference here is that Canada is an open and free society where such things are not declared state secrets.

IceQueen~
05-08-2006, 09:02 AM
whta about guantanamo bay?

Duhaa
05-08-2006, 09:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
Really? If Canadians are doing this what do you think the Egyptian Army is doing? The difference here is that Canada is an open and free society where such things are not declared state secrets.

What is the Egyptian Army doing? :?
Just wondering.

HeiGou
05-08-2006, 09:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Duhaa
What is the Egyptian Army doing? :?
Just wondering.
I have no idea. But there are rumors about what they have been doing. Why is it, you think, that the Canadians are so open about what their soldiers have been doing and the Egyptians are not? Why do some stories of human rights abuses make it to international prominence and others do not? Pakistan, for instance, has had to admit that their soldiers raped a doctor in Baluchistan. How many other rapes do you think go unreported?

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-08-2006, 10:04 AM
I have no idea. But there are rumors about what they have been doing. Why is it, you think, that the Canadians are so open about what their soldiers have been doing and the Egyptians are not? Why do some stories of human rights abuses make it to international prominence and others do not? Pakistan, for instance, has had to admit that their soldiers raped a doctor in Baluchistan. How many other rapes do you think go unreported?
HeiGou... if what Egypt does is worse (and i'm sure it is), that doesn't justify it.

HeiGou
05-08-2006, 10:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Mu'MiNaH~
HeiGou... if what Egypt does is worse (and i'm sure it is), that doesn't justify it.
I am with you on that. But I am interested in why this was posted here and now. It was 13 years ago. No one is posting on the Pakistani Army's raping of Pakistani doctors. And we all know the Pakistani government has few friends here. So this is somehow special. And notice how little context is provided. No mention of the origins of the soldiers - making it look more racist than it was in all probability. No mention of the punishments handed out to the soldiers. So what is the purpose and reason for the posting?

The Somalia Affair was a Canadian military scandal in the mid 1990s. It began with the brutal 1993 beating death of a Somali teenager, Shidane Arone, at the hands of two Canadian soldiers participating in the United Nations humanitarian efforts in Somalia. The crime, and especially the grisly trophy photos taken of it, shocked the Canadian public and was a blow to the reputation of the Canadian Forces.

It also quickly became apparent that there were problems in the unit that went beyond the two soldiers directly involved. Questions were asked about why the unit was chosen for that mission despite clear warning signs. Perhaps most damaging to the leadership of the Canadian military was how it reacted after the events became public. They were accused of trying to cover-up the event by misleading journalists and the public.

Eventually a public inquiry was called. Despite being controversially cut short by the government, the Somalia Inquiry found deep problems in the leadership of the Canadian Forces. The affair led to the disbanding of Canada's elite Airborne Regiment, greatly damaged the morale of the Canadian Forces, and damaged both the domestic and international reputation of Canadian soldiers.

The affair had a number of long lasting effects. While it is difficult to separate the effects of the affair on Canadian Forces morale from those of the concurrent defence spending cut, it did exacerbate feelings of distrust towards the media and politicians among many CF members.

At the same time, public trust in the Canadian Forces suffered and recruitment became more difficult. Public revulsion provided support for the sharp cuts to military spending introduced by the Liberal government. Many of the report's comments, along with the sustained media criticism of the military, led to the hasty imposition of policies designed to ensure nothing similar to the Somalia Affair could happen again. It has been argued that many of these practices, such as the micro-management of training, operations and disciplinary processes from NDHQ and the resultant restrictions on commanding officers, hamper the flexibility of operational units. Since the events in Somalia, Canada has become far less ready to participate in United Nations Peacekeeping efforts. Once playing an important role in the majority of UN efforts, in subsequent years Canada has been more ready to simply provide indirect support.

Other long term effects on the Forces included the adoption of sensitivity training, including SHARP (Sexual Harassment and Racism Prevention) training, which became mandatory for every single member of the Forces, and was accompanied by a declaration of "zero tolerance" on racism and harassment of any kind, including hazing. In the aftermath of the Somalia affair, video of brutal hazing rituals in the Airborne Regiment had been met with public outrage and disgust when they were made public.

The idea of public outrage in most of the world to such an incident is absurd. So on what basis is Canada being judged here?

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Right, but public outrage to 3000 people in America dying, more than let's say... how many people know the history of Chechnya?

Shadow_of_White
05-08-2006, 11:22 AM
:sl:
[MAD]i cant belive it .......its too cruel to be true......may Allah teach them a lesson and reward th poor boy in JAnnah :) [/MAD]

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-08-2006, 01:17 PM
So what is the purpose and reason for the posting?
And yet on a regular basis you and knuckles post isolated incidents of whatever injustices you can find commited by someone who happens to be Muslim. What is the purpose and reason for those posting?

Instead of discussing Islam, to try to post as many articles which portray Muslims in a negative way is really a silly game to play.

amirah_87
05-08-2006, 01:20 PM
*kisses Teeth *..... ..flippin 'eck How Racist Man !!!

And They Only Give That Soldier 5yr's Helllooooo.....wake Up , This Is Manslaughter And Murder He Should Be Gettin At Least 15yrs Or A Life Sentence......

Subhaanallah!!!

Muslim Soldier
05-08-2006, 01:39 PM
HeiGou since you are askig why this is being posted now, why is it that people are still told about the holacaust?
why is it that they are told about the world-wars?
why is it that the 9/11's are still not yet forgotten?

Answer these first

HeiGou
05-08-2006, 01:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
And yet on a regular basis you and knuckles post isolated incidents of whatever injustices you can find commited by someone who happens to be Muslim. What is the purpose and reason for those posting?
Well I don't know about Knuckles but first of all I do not post any articles on isolated incidents of injustices by people who just happen to be Muslims. There is, for instance, a strong denial around here that some crimes occur in Muslim countries. I have been making an effort to point out that rapes occur in the Middle East too and I think that I have been very successful. It is not isolated, but part of a wider debate. They are also current - this forum is marked "Discuss here about the state of the world and the state of the Ummah" and a rape in Pakistan does, I think, come under that heading. How does a murder by Canadian soldiers 13 years ago meet that criteria? How does publishing a partial account that does not mention the aftermath count?

Instead of discussing Islam, to try to post as many articles which portray Muslims in a negative way is really a silly game to play.
Well I am here to discuss Islam and I would love to. But I do not want to get any more demerits so mostly I read about Islam. I agree if my aim was to post as many articles as possible to portray Muslims in a negative light it would be silly, but I do not think that is what I am doing. It would also be silly to post as many articles as possible to show Canadians in a negative light. Good thing I am not doing that either.

format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
And They Only Give That Soldier 5yr's Helllooooo.....wake Up , This Is Manslaughter And Murder He Should Be Gettin At Least 15yrs Or A Life Sentence......
The man responsible actually attempted to commit suicide the day they arrested him by hanging himself in his cell. He did not succeed, but he cut off oxygen to his brain for long enough that he is now in a hospital in a long-term vegetative state. I don't care what you think a murderer ought to get, this man got what he deserved and more.

gladTidings
05-08-2006, 01:49 PM
That is disgusting... and the fact that they recorded and pictured this. Sick.

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-08-2006, 03:19 PM
I say a life for a life, he killed someone... so he should die.
:w:

Panatella
05-08-2006, 03:59 PM
And why you did not mention (a) that many of the soldiers who did this were First Nations and (b) the Canadian public and government came down on them like a ton of bricks disbanding the regiment?
Hi HeiGou,
I was just wondering what a 'First Nations' soldier is. Is it a north american aboriginal, an 'indian'?

HeiGou
05-08-2006, 04:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Panatella
I was just wondering what a 'First Nations' soldier is. Is it a north american aboriginal, an 'indian'?
Welcome to the world of Canadian Political Correctness. The Corporal who did it, and was photographed holding the head of the corpse up, was indeed, a Cree and hence a North American Native Aboriginal.

Muslim Soldier
05-08-2006, 05:43 PM
HeiGou you did not answer my questions

format_quote Originally Posted by Me
HeiGou since you are askig why this is being posted now, why is it that people are still told about the holacaust?

Answer these first

knuckles
05-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Actually I start very few threads. I normally reply to them.

HeiGou
05-08-2006, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Caliphate
Actulally somalia is 100% muslim mashallah, sadly there are few who have left their deen when they came to the west suchas the Murtad Ayan hirsi of dirt holland.
And the fashion model whatshername.

we should know tha the koffar wether they are candians, americans , europeans they will always have hate for islam and muslims.
Why shoudl you know that the kuffar, that is people like me, will always hate Islam? I mean, looking around the world at the aid that we give you, the help we give you, the opportunities we provide, the generosity with which we have let you into our countries, why would you think that?

This incident of the beating of the somalian young brother is not the only incident, indeed the list long. And what they do in secrets against muslims in Palestine, afghanistan, chechnya and even in middle eastern countries and Guantanamo is worst than what we hear or see through media or internet.
How do you know? If you have not heard or seen it, what is the point of merely inciting religious hatred in this way given you have no evidence at all?

indeed the kufr wests war against islam and muslims has been going on for almost a 100 year now, under the names of fighting agai8nst terrorism, extremism or fanatical mislims.
Only 100 years? Ironic if you think that the previous 100 years before that were uninterrupted Western victories over Muslims and the last 100 years have seen many Western retreats and Muslim victories. What makes you pick those dates?

We should not limit our mind to this incident as one simple racism act, wallahi what they hide in their hearts is worse than what they say, and indeed koffar are the enemies of Allah swt, rasool sallallahu alayhi wa salam and al muminoon.
What makes you think that what I hide in my heart is worse than what I say? I am sorry to hear you think I am an enemy of God. What do you think is the appropriate punishment for enemies of God like me?

Our minds should be opened uip to the realities, which is that all muslim countries are under the hands of the most dirty and hatefull creatures who oppress, torture, kill,and plounder the resources of the muslim ummah under the reign of corrupt and servant regimes in the muslim world.
I am confused, is that me who is one of the most dirty and hateful creatures or does that apply to the Muslim rulers of those Muslim countries that merely serve hateful people like me?

HeiGou
05-08-2006, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
HeiGou you did not answer my questions
Well with all due respect, it was not worth replying to.

Muslim Soldier
05-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Well with all due respect, it was not worth replying to.
Thank you. It means a lot. I am proud to say HeiGou has no answers to my questions.

knuckles
05-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Thank you. It means a lot. I am proud to say HeiGou has no answers to my questions.
No he's saying it's not worth dignifying an answer for it. I could be wrong though.

HeiGou
05-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Actually I gave you an answer to your question.

Muslim Soldier
05-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Forget it. I know what you feel. It happens a lot when people have no answers.

Trumble
05-08-2006, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Caliphate
. Dear brothers and sisters we should know tha the koffar wether they are candians, americans , europeans they will always have hate for islam and muslims.
Rubbish.... although only a fool would not admit that a minority are racists and/or religious bigots. So are some muslims.

Again, the video makes it quite clear the soldiers were out-and-out racists, and even if he had been one of the 1% or so of Somalis who are Christian it would have made no difference whatsoever. By far the biggest killers of Somalis were, and still are, other Somalis.

Forget it. I know what you feel. It happens a lot when people have no answers.
You want the honest answer?

In the Holocaust, 6 million died. In the two World Wars together something like 70 million died. In 9/11 nearly 3,000 died. In this incident, one person died.

Brutal maybe, but there you go.

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-08-2006, 09:06 PM
There is, for instance, a strong denial around here that some crimes occur in Muslim countries.
Crimes occur everywhere. If we started posting every single horrible crime and atrocity that occured in any western country the forum would be overflooding with such articles. But it is pointless. These articles about atrocities in Muslim countries typically promote stereotypes and common misconceptions about Muslims. The fact that such misconceptions are being propagated everywhere in the media is bad enough, while on this forum it is unacceptable.

786rani
05-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Let's Hope Everyone Who Commit's Such Acts Die A Painful Death.
Rani

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Goodness sis, you have spirit!
May Allah guide them too.

786rani
05-09-2006, 08:15 PM
I just don't agree to the murdering of a young person because of the colour of the skin. This life will end and anything i wish upon them. This is why i wish them a painful death.
rani

Isaac
05-09-2006, 08:56 PM

just had to add this 1 in cos its so damn right

786rani
05-09-2006, 09:03 PM
So True Bro
Rani

Ghazi
05-09-2006, 09:11 PM
And the fashion model whatshername.

Why shoudl you know that the kuffar, that is people like me, will always hate Islam? I mean, looking around the world at the aid that we give you, the help we give you, the opportunities we provide, the generosity with which we have let you into our countries, why would you think that?

How do you know? If you have not heard or seen it, what is the point of merely inciting religious hatred in this way given you have no evidence at all?

Only 100 years? Ironic if you think that the previous 100 years before that were uninterrupted Western victories over Muslims and the last 100 years have seen many Western retreats and Muslim victories. What makes you pick those dates?

What makes you think that what I hide in my heart is worse than what I say? I am sorry to hear you think I am an enemy of God. What do you think is the appropriate punishment for enemies of God like me?

I am confused, is that me who is one of the most dirty and hateful creatures or does that apply to the Muslim rulers of those Muslim countries that merely serve hateful people like me?
Salaam

This is from allah, the west has done more harm then good.

HeiGou
05-10-2006, 06:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isaac

just had to add this 1 in cos its so damn right
Are you seriously comparing the mass murder of six million people by a legal government with the beating to death of one thief by a psychopath?

Or is it just that you think the 60 million kafirs who died in WW2 are worth about as much as one Somali?

Isaac
05-10-2006, 07:23 AM
i tell u one thats forgotten the mass murdersous atack on the people f japan, in one o tw world most disgusting acts, also know as hiroshima. no reefs laid in the uk for that, no minutes silesnces for that, oh yeh i forgot it was justfied. so lets look at afghanistan, what happend in chechnya, wat happens everyday in iraq, or is that they dont matter, thats one thing, those comments who ever put them up should be put up to all the world leaders and lest see how each one of them answers.

and cos of 9/11 the west wages a war of terror on afghanisartn, iraq and now after iran, this is gona end very soon, with the destruction of the world biggest terrorist nation the usa. its governmentruns against the wieshed of ist people and u call it democarcy, andthen have the cheek to attack afgnaistan on its way of life and wnat to brin demcracy to iraq, when they are in a civil war started due to an american invasion,.

just remeber the west ma alike to forget such things like hiroshima, chechnay, iraq and afghanisatn and wherver else peope wre slaughted due to te the westerns politcs, some dont forget.

Isaac
05-10-2006, 07:25 AM
60 million, you may want to speak to the iranian presisdent cos i think he amy have slightly mre accutate figures. and were not talking about just 1 somali boy, were looking at the world picture, the trail of terrorism lft by the west. bombing inncpenct pople from the sky in b52 bomber is not terrorism, but killing a few american soldiers is. jokers

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.