/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Blair secures historic third term

Far7an
05-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Tony Blair has won an historic third term in government for Labour but with a drastically reduced majority. Mr Blair pledged to respond "sensibly and wisely" to the result, which the BBC predicts will see his majority cut from 167 in 2001 to 66.

The Conservatives have mounted a strong challenge but their overall share of the vote will be similar to 2001.

The Lib Dems have made big inroads into Labour majorities and look set to end up with an estimated 60 seats.

Mr Blair, who celebrates his 52nd birthday on Friday, said it was clear that "the British people wanted to return a Labour government but with a reduced majority".

"We have got a mandate to govern this country again," he told supporters at a celebration in the National Portrait Gallery in London.

"We have got to listen to the people and respond wisely and sensibly, but they have made it very clear they wanted to carry on with Labour and not go back to the Tory years."

Earlier, he told party activists in his Sedgefield constituency that Labour, which looks set to have won 36% of the vote on a 61% turnout, had to "focus on the things that matter" such as the NHS, jobs and law and order.

He added: "I know too that Iraq has been a divisive issue in this country but I hope now that we can unite again and look to the future - there and here."

The result writes a new chapter in British political history, with Margaret Thatcher the only other post war prime minister to have won three successive general elections.

Mr Blair is the only Labour leader to have won three elections in a row but his margin of victory is less than half what it was in the Labour landslides of 1997 and 2001 - and he has the lowest share of the vote for a ruling party in modern times.

Conservative leader Michael Howard congratulated Mr Blair on Labour's win but said it was time for him to deliver on his promises.

"I am proud of the campaign we have fought. We have taken a stand on the things that really do matter to the people of this country. We have sent Mr Blair a message," said Mr Howard.

He added the Tories' result was a "significant step towards our recovery".

Decapitation strategy

Provisional figures suggest 22% of those eligible to vote backed Labour - the lowest figure they have received at any post-war election apart from 1983 when the figure was 20.6%.

Turnout is up about 2% thanks to big increases in marginal seats.

The Conservatives did best in the South East, where they had a 2.3% increase in the share of the vote, and London, where they regained Putney and Wimbledon and unseated schools minister Stephen Twigg, who famously snatched Enfield Southgate from Michael Portillo in 1997.

The Tories also gained Shipley from Labour - unseating junior minister Christopher Leslie - Welwyn Hatfield from health minister Melanie Johnson, and Newbury from the Lib Dems.

The Lib Dems held on to Cheadle, which had been the Conservatives' top target, and unseated Labour ex-minister Barbara Roche on a 14% swing.

But they failed in their "decapitation" strategy to unseat ex-Tory chairman Theresa May and shadow home secretary David Davis and Oliver Letwin, who all retained their seats with increased majorities.

Only one member of the Tories' top team - education spokesman Tim Collins - was ousted.

Galloway

Lib Dem leader Charles Kennedy said voters had ushered in a new era of three-party politics as he was returned as an MP by an overwhelming majority.

"I think it is going to be a very different House of Commons from the one we have had over the past eight years, and I think that is going to be very healthy, whatever people's political views," he added.

In one of the biggest upsets of the night, George Galloway, of the anti-war Respect party, narrowly beat Labour's Oona King, who voted for the Iraq war, in Bethnal Green, one of the most bitter contests in the 2005 election.

Mr Galloway, who based his campaign on opposition to the Gulf war, said: "This is for Iraq."

He told Mr Blair: "All the people you have killed, all the lies you have told have come back to haunt you and the best thing the Labour Party can do is sack you tomorrow morning."

In a further sign of the impact of the Iraq war, there was a significant swing from Labour to Lib Dem in most of the 40 seats with a large Muslim population.

Milburn quits

Mr Galloway's success means that there are more small party and Independent MPs than in any parliament since 1945, with wins for Richard Taylor in Wyre Forest and for Peter Law, who quit Labour in protest at all-women short-lists.

BNP leader Nick Griffin took 9% of the vote in Keighley, where Labour's Anne Cryer was returned as the town's MP.

The Greens gained 22% of the vote in Brighton Pavilion, beating the Lib Dems into fourth place, but their vote was up just 0.4% nationally. UKIP's national share was up 0.8%.

Mr Blair is due at Buckingham Palace for an audience with the Queen later on Friday and is expected to put the finishing touches to a Cabinet reshuffle.

Treasury Chief Secretary Paul Boateng has stepped down to become Britain's High Commissioner to South Africa. Speculation is rife that former home secretary David Blunkett is destined for a comeback.

Labour election coordinator Alan Milburn, who quit as health secretary in the last Parliament, said he had told Mr Blair he did not want to serve in the new Cabinet.

He played down the impact of Labour's much reduced majority saying a "smaller majority concentrates the mind".

Arrest

A third term gives you an "unparalleled opportunity" to "drive through" change, he added.

But ex-Cabinet minister Robin Cook, who quit over Iraq, said Labour had suffered because of the war.

He said Mr Blair, who has said he will serve one more term, had to "consider very carefully to what extent he can leave Britain, the party and the nation guessing as to when exactly he might go".

In Scotland, Labour lost seats to the SNP, which reached their target of six seats, the Lib Dems and the Conservatives, who still have one MP in the country after winning Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweedale.

In Wales, the Lib Dems and Tories made gains, but Plaid Cymru failed to take its top target seat of Ynys Mon from Labour, and also lost Ceredigion.

Meanwhile, pro-hunting campaigner Otis Ferry, the son of rock star Bryan Ferry, was arrested as he tried to get to Mr Blair as the prime minister and his wife arrived at a post election party.

Mr Ferry lunged over a barrier at the rear entrance to the National Portrait Gallery in London and shouted in Mr Blair's face before a plain clothes police officer stepped in.

BBC NEWS

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Lateralus63
05-06-2005, 10:07 AM
:sl:

no surprise. I was shocked at the number of votes for the BNP in certain places, very scary and possible indication of the future.

swanlake
05-06-2005, 10:21 AM
I wasnt aware of BNP getting a seat. They didnt get seat, did they? Perhaps just more votes. It is quite shocking though.

ABDULLAH SAOOD
05-06-2005, 10:22 AM
:thumbs_do :thumbs_do :thumbs_do :thumbs_do

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Lateralus63
05-06-2005, 10:25 AM

no i just briefly turned on the TV and i remember in one area they got like 4000 + votes, now, 4000+ people who agree with the BNP views in one tiny area, thats scary. But i dont think they got a seat.

swanlake
05-06-2005, 10:28 AM

I was quite embarrased at the muslims picking Galloway up and parading him like that. Why were they more vocal than the rest??

S_87
05-06-2005, 11:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by swanlake

I was quite embarrased at the muslims picking Galloway up and parading him like that. Why were they more vocal than the rest??
lol i noticed that tto

MetSudaisTwice
05-06-2005, 11:10 AM
yeah same here

S_87
05-06-2005, 11:34 AM
galloways argument in interview with paxman was funny :D

MetSudaisTwice
05-06-2005, 11:38 AM
i don't like paxman he think he is the top man, he is too rude

swanlake
05-06-2005, 11:42 AM

Paxman is always rude. However he used to get away with it. But now he found someone who wont play ball. I bet he felt embarrased when his question wasnt answered.

Here is the transcript:-

overnight, the tussle between George Galloway and Jeremy Paxman was one of the highlights, which came shortly after his victory over Labour's Oona King.

JP: We're joined now from his count in Bethnal Green and Bow by George Galloway. Mr Galloway, are you proud of having got rid of one of the very few black women in Parliament?
GG: What a preposterous question. I know it's very late in the night, but wouldn't you be better starting by congratulating me for one of the most sensational election results in modern history?
JP: Are you proud of having got rid of one of the very few black women in Parliament?
GG: I'm not - Jeremy - move on to your next question.
JP: You're not answering that one?
GG: No because I don't believe that people get elected because of the colour of their skin. I believe people get elected because of their record and because of their policies. So move on to your next question.
JP: Are you proud -
GG: Because I've got a lot of people who want to speak to me.
JP: - You -
GG: If you ask that question again, I'm going, I warn you now.
JP: Don't try and threaten me Mr Galloway, please.
GG: You're the one who's trying to badger me.
JP: I'm not trying to badger you, I'm merely trying to ask if you're proud at having driven out of Parliament one of the very few black women there, a woman you accuse of having on her conscience 100,000 people.
GG: Oh well there's no doubt about that one. There's absolutely no doubt that all those New Labour MPs who voted for Mr Blair and Mr Bush's war have on their hands the blood of 100,000 people in Iraq, many of them British soldiers, many of them American soldiers, most of them Iraqis and that's a more important issue than the colour of her skin.
JP: Absolutely, because you then went on to say "including a lot of women who had blacker faces than her"
GG: Absolutely right, absolutely right. So don't try and tell me I should feel guilty about one of the most sensational election results in modern electoral history.
JP: I put it to you Mr Galloway that Nick Raynsford had you to a T when he said you were a "demagogue".
GG: Sorry?
JP: Nick Raynsford. You know who I mean? Nick Raynsford. Labour MP?
GG: No, I don't know who you mean.
JP: Never heard of him.
GG: I've never heard of Nick Raynsford, no.
JP: What else haven't you heard of?
GG: Well, I've been in Parliament a long time...
JP: He was a Parliamentary colleague of yours until very recently.
GG: Well, most of them just blend one into the other, Jeremy, they're largely a spineless, a supine bunch.
JP: Have you ever heard of Tony Banks?
GG: Yes I have, yes.
JP: Right, Tony Banks was sitting here five minutes ago, and he said that you were behaving inexcusably, that you had deliberately chosen to go to that part of London and to exploit the latent racial tensions there.
GG: You are actually conducting one of the most - even by your standards - one of the most absurd interviews I have ever participated in. I have just won an election. Can you find it within yourself to recognise that fact? To recognise the fact that the people of Bethnal Green and Bow chose me this evening. Why are you insulting them?
JP: I'm not insulting them, I'm not insulting you
GG: You are insulting them, they chose me just a few minutes ago. Can't you find it within yourself even to congratulate me on this victory?
JP: Congratulations, Mr Galloway.
GG: Thank you very much indeed. [Waves, removes microphone]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/p...og/4519553.stm

MetSudaisTwice
05-06-2005, 11:56 AM
jazakallah sis for that transcript

Mr. Baldy
05-06-2005, 04:46 PM
aslaam alykum,

LOL at the transcript, so once again Tony BLIAR (not a spelling mistake) has won, i think it was quite obviuos that they would win, oh well it is going to be his last term in office, so thats ok. oh and shame on all muslims who voted for a kuffar system to rule over us, after allah (SWT) sent down clear guidelines on how to rule mankind, and the Prophet (SAWS) took years to implememt it, and now there implemeting kuffar? astugfirullah, they bring shame to the muslims.

wa alykum aslaam

Z
05-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Goes to show, one wonders about all those who voted Labour last term, is the blood of our brothers and sisters killed in Iraq going to be on their hands? I very much think so.

Far7an
05-06-2005, 07:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hash
Those muslims who voted are stupid, and need to have some sense drilled into them. Why do they abandon the deen and look to the kuffar systems? Idiots.
You have insulted many people in that statement of yours akhee, I suggest you read my post which is a sticky in the General Section...

Its called Speak a good word, or remain silent

Ammar
05-07-2005, 04:21 AM
there is a city in england where half of the population are muslims. i heard it on the tv .

strange!

Ra`eesah
05-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

WHOAAAAA bLIAR is back in! after all that happened?!!! :omg:

well i;m not suprised... just like how Bush came back.....

its a conspiracy

Far7an
05-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Does it matter? If he did not win Michael Howard would have; who is a jew

No doubt relations with Isreal would have been much closer.

Ra`eesah
05-08-2005, 05:15 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

whoaaa :omg: that was Harsh...... :-[

Ra`eesah
05-08-2005, 05:15 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

*and FYI no i dont vote*

Abubakar
05-12-2005, 02:13 PM

Hash

format_quote Originally Posted by Hash

True.

I dont care who wins, they are all the same, all devilish enemys of islaam.

Those muslims who voted are stupid, and need to have some sense drilled into them. Why do they abandon the deen and look to the kuffar systems? Idiots.

:w:
Could you please explain why voting is abandoning the deen and looking to the kufr systems?

"Those Muslims who voted are stupid" even if they are, is this a way to talk about your brothers and sisters? Would you be happy if a Muslim of your age spoke in this way about your parents, however right or wrong they were?

This is not meant to be offensive to you so please do not take it in that way.

Peace

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-12-2005, 07:27 PM
If anyone wishes to discuss voting, we have a thread designated for it already:
http://www.islamicboard.com/showthread.php?t=1902
You may discuss it in the above link.

Also, Hash if a moderator warns you of your conduct it is not something to be taken lightly. You are free to hold whatever beliefs you wish, but we should discuss them, rather than insulting those who do not share the same views. I look forward to discussing the issue of voting, with you in the above link.

Ibn Syed
05-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Is Blaire a good person?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.