/* */

PDA

View Full Version : star and crescent

starfortress
05-10-2006, 06:41 AM
:sl:
salam to all

Many muslim are common to see the star and crescent in several place like on peak of the mosque dome,printed on eidulfitri postcard,in the most of muslim country flag and etc.
My trivia is why they use the "star and crescent"?and why not something else like a sword for an example.;D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
05-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Maybe coz a star and crescent is more peaceful than a sword, and if there were a sword it may portray the wrong kind of attitude.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-10-2006, 10:54 AM

I once heard its because islam is a way of life. When a man is trapped in the desert he looks to the moon and stars to guide him through to his destination. just in the same way a man looks to islam to guide him through life. :) beautiful isnt it!!

:w:

05-10-2006, 10:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid

I once heard its because islam is a way of life. When a man is trapped in the desert he looks to the moon and stars to guide him through to his destination. just in the same way a man looks to islam to guide him through life. :) beautiful isnt it!!

Subhanallah!!:thumbs_up

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ayesha Rana
05-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu.
Yeah. The star and cresent portray the meaning of Islam (a guide through life) whilst a sword portrays violence.

------
05-10-2006, 11:58 AM
SO a sword on the saudi flag portrays violence?

F.Y.
05-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Salam
I think it's quite scary - when non-muslims see the sword on the saudi flag, I think it probably confirms certain stereotypes they may have about us.

That's what I think anyway.Could be wrong.

Peace

Muslim Soldier
05-10-2006, 02:49 PM
well I dont know but I think it was the the Ottoman's coat of arms or sumthin

starfortress
05-10-2006, 03:08 PM

salam to all

one of the answers that someone give almost hit a lil bit.;D

IbnAbdulHakim
05-10-2006, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by starfortress

salam to all

one of the answers that someone give almost hit a lil bit.;D

lol what?

Kittygyal
05-10-2006, 03:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by starfortress
salam to all

Many muslim are common to see the star and crescent in several place like on peak of the mosque dome,printed on eidulfitri postcard,in the most of muslim country flag and etc.
My trivia is why they use the "star and crescent"?and why not something else like a sword for an example.;D

salam.
well to behonest i think that because isn't it the pakistan flag that has it on so it's trying to construct it'a an muslim mosque or for muslim people (am not sure but just an opinion):rollseyes
w.salam

starfortress
05-12-2006, 10:26 PM
:happy:

I think its time for me to reveal something that all muslim must know,it can be a tricky question about the "star and crescent" in muslim life

Actually there are many opinion and contradiction about the origin of that problem.Many non muslim classified it as a symbol of Islam, for an example the jewish using a David Star as a symbol the christian using a T Cross.

The star and crescent" was first hoisted on behalf of the Muslims by Mehmet II after the capture of Constantinople in 1453 CE.When the Turks took possession of Constantinople, they found lots of crescent flags and adopted it as a symbol of good omen.Prior to that, it was common on the arm of knight and esquires. A star within a crescent was a badge of Richard I, 250 years before Constantinople fell. They quit using it when it became the banner of Muslims. It has been used more and more ever since by Muslims in a way to identify themselves.

It is only primarily continuation of a tradition set by the vast Ottoman-empire, which has inspired some of the modern Muslim states to adopt these two symbols on their flags.There could be a number of possible reason.No specific answer can be give.

Based on this history, many Muslims reject using the crescent moon as a symbol of Islam. The faith of Islam has historically had no symbol, and many refuse to accept what is essentially an ancient pagan icon.

But i heard from one ustaz when he giving a speech in tv,he has told a good story related to the "star and crescent".There is man asking him "how could you feel the presence of your own god when you dont know any idea about the god form and symbol to imagine"then the man added "we use an idol,picture and symbol to know the god is here,how about your"star and crescent"? That ustaz replied,in islam we never adopt or use a symbol,picture nor an idol to describe our creator and faith,we know the moon is upthere the star also there,but who create it, don't you see that was a sign of creator.We only adopt the "star and crescent" as a sign of creator,it is nothing to do to using it as a symbol.The idea to put it in flag,is only to indicate that we are muslim, and beleive the "star and crescent" was created by a god.

It bring a new significance and meaning for me about the "star and crescent"

Hope thats was a good explanation for all

Saima_17
05-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Salam everyone!
good topic raised
wish i had sumthing usefull to contribute
Walaikumsalam

starfortress
05-13-2006, 11:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saima_17
Salam everyone!
good topic raised
wish i had sumthing usefull to contribute
Walaikumsalam
:happy:

Sure, you were allowed to contribute any information or opinion that could give a benefit to all in this such a good forum

"sharing is a smart way in learning"

*noor
05-13-2006, 11:18 PM
i dont know why crecent and moon are used because they are not symbols of Islam......its a common misconception

and i dont think a sword would be a good symbol either.

starfortress
05-15-2006, 09:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nurofislam
i dont know why crecent and moon are used because they are not symbols of Islam......its a common misconception

and i dont think a sword would be a good symbol either.

Yeap, of course someone may thought that was a common misconception,but the star and crescent are common and widely accepted by most of the muslim country, to use it as their own symbol of Islamic Nation,and also got inspired from the flags of uthmaniah empire.At that time almost all the muslim country from Africa to Asia has been conquered and occupied by the european power, except the Islamic Uthmaniah Turks which is still maintain and remain freedom, for hundreds of years, the Ottoman Empire ruled over the Muslim world. After centuries of battle with Christian Europe, it is understandable how the symbols of this empire became linked in people's minds with the faith of Islam as a whole.

Until in the early 19th century when Mustafa Kemal overthrowned the power, and became the new successor to the new modern Republic of Turkey that we known today.Since the constitution of Republic of Turkey by Mustafa Kemal Atatürk in 1923 many newly independent countries in the 20th century, all of them with Turkic, Ottoman and/or Islamic roots and some inspired and impressed by the republican Kemalist way of government, adopted the flags with the star and crescent prominent in the Turkish Flag.

Actually there are no symbol to indicate faith of Islam in a real meaning and the star and crescent certainly not in uniform use among Muslims.As a muslim i think, its rather to regard that only as a symbol to indicate Islamic Nation,absolutely not a symbol for our faith.

i dont think a sword would be a good symbol either

The "base flag" of Saudi Arabia, the shahada or profession of faith ("There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his Prophet") on solid green was an old flag, connected to the Wahhabi reformist movement of the late 18th century, with whose religious drive the as-Saud family first rose to power.Later the sword was added in 1902 by Abdulaziz ibn Abdulrahman as-Saud the first king of the Nejd and Hejaz.

In 1925, Abdulaziz established himself as King of the Nejd and Hejaz, with unknown flag alterations.When the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia was established in 1932, the earlier Nejdi flag continued, though variants are shown with two swords, with a white stripe toward the hoist.The sword, only to symbolising the victories of Ibn Saud, the green color of this and other Islamic flags is said to be derived from the fact that the Prophet Muhammad wore a green cloak.

Anybody is allowed to add something useful.

Peace:)

Saifadin_Qutuz
05-19-2006, 11:39 PM
oh, like look at me, a peacfull guy aint I? ^_^

how ironic, not a very peacefull name though hehe ^_^

akulion
10-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Islam - Symbols

Star and Cresent

Contrary to the general public’s thought, the star and crescent is not Muslim in origin, but thought to be from the Ottoman Empire (the Ottoman Empire existed five centuries, and, at the height of it’s power, included the Middle East and parts of North Africa).
The color green also has a place in Islam. It is thought to be Muhammad’s (peace and blessings be upon him) favorite color, and it is also found in many mosques. Some people believe that the color green represents vegetation and life. Also, during the Crusades, green was the color that Islamic soldiers used. Some people think that Muhammad’s (peace and blessings be upon him) battle banner could have been green with gold trim, but others think that it is black with gold trim. The banner is locked in a chest in the palace of Topkapi.

The Five Edges of the Star represent The Five Pillars of Islam

*noor
10-31-2006, 10:40 PM
I don't think Islam needs a symbol. The prophet (pbuh) never used the star crescent symbol...not that I know of anyways.

IB-Staff
11-02-2006, 08:46 PM

We have some similar threads on the issue. Please see:

http://www.islamicboard.com/refutati...bol-islam.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/refutati...cent-moon.html

Regarding the colour green, is there any evidence that it was the Prophet's favourite colour?

There is also a hadeeth narrated by Ibn ‘Abbaas, who said: “The Messenger of Allaah

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Wear your white clothes, for they are the best of your clothes, and shroud your dead in them.’”
(Reported by Abu Dawood and al-Tirmidhi; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Ahkaam al-Janaa’iz (p. 82)).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.