/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Benefits Of using the Miswaak

WomanOfJihad
12-30-2004, 12:15 AM
Miswaak Quick View of Benefits

Advantages of the Miswaak:
1. Miswaak strengthens the gums and prevents tooth decay.
2. Miswaak assists in eliminating toothaches and prevents further increase of decay which has already set in.
3. Miswaak creates a fragrance in the mouth.
4. Miswaak is a cure for illness.
5. Miswaak eliminates bad odors and improves the sense of taste.
6. Miswaak sharpens the memory.
7. Miswaak is a cure for headaches.
8. Miswaak creates lustre (noor) on the face of the one who continually uses it.
9. Miswaak causes the teeth to glow.
10. Miswaak strengthens the eyesight.
11. Miswaak assists in digestion.
12. Miswaak clears the voice.
13. The greatest benefit of using miswaak is gaining the pleasure of Allah.
14. The reward of Salaah (Prayers) is multiplied 70 times if Miswaak was used before it.
Times when usage of Miswaak is Sunnah:

1. For the recitation of the Qur'an.
2. For the recitation of Hadith.
3. When the mouth emits and odor.
4. For the learning or teaching of virtues of Islaam.
5. For making Dhikrullah (Remebrance of Allah, meditation).
6. After entering ones home.
7. Before entering any good gathering.
8. When experiencing pangs of hunger and thirst.
9. After the signs of death are evident.
10. At the time of Sehri.
11. Before meals.
12. Before undertaking a journey.
13. On returning from a journey.
14. Before sleeping.
15. Upon awakening.
How long should a Miswaak be?

A Miswaak should not be longer than a "span" i.e. the maximum distance between the tips of the thumb and little finger, and it should not be thicker than a finger's breadth.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Yoosuf
01-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Wooow Masha Allah, some new things i picked up there.

Uthman
01-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Mashallah sister! I also picked up a lot of things there. One thing I didn't pick up however is what Miswaak is:-[

WomanOfJihad
01-08-2005, 08:36 PM
hmm... Brother, Miswak is like a Stick .. err. u might want to go to one of the Islamic shops n ask for a thing called miswak.. i gues that way ull know wat it is n how it looks like :-\

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
01-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Oh! Is it one of those tooth-brushy things that looks nothing like a toothbrush! I've seen those. I never knew it was called a Miswaak! See, you learn something new everyday! ;)

aamirsaab
01-08-2005, 08:54 PM
jazakhalla womenof jihad for the helpful info.

i didnt know a miswaak carried so much benefits
ill have2 get one of those :D
thank u again 4 the ifno - it was v helpful and told me stuff that i didnt actually know. v informative

WomanOfJihad
01-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Wa Iyyaka .. Brother ..

Miswak is the BIGGESt Sunnah..if it wasnt for Our Prophet Saw .. Miswak Cud have Been FARDH upon us .. but our Prophet saw ..didnt want to put too much Burden upon his Ummah..( sUBHANALLAh)

Uma Rayanah
01-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Aslaamu Alikum Sisz and Broz

~*I hope u r all in da best state of health 'N' iman inshallah*~

Mashallah,, interstin indeed

wha an amazin thingz... i neva know,,lol

no wander why most of somalian ppl use Maswaak,,

i'll try 2 use it inshallah... why not!!

WomanOfJihad
01-09-2005, 10:58 PM
but its sad the Majority dnt use miswak....we shud have Miswak with us wherever we go.. for Sisters ..they carry lip gloss and mobile and subhanAllah wat not , they give so much importance to lip gloss .wherver they go. theyl take it out n put it.. the same way we shud carry miswaak with us ....thats how important it shud b..

same goes for the brothers here as welll.. theyll have mobile fones with them everywhere they go.. (wonders wat else they carry around in everyday life) .. instead y nt also keep miswak ? ....

EVEN when our Prophet saw was on his deathbed .. till his final breath he had miswaak in his hand SubhanAllah... even at such time our Prophet saw did miswaak...

so just imagine ..out of all the Sunnah, cudnt this be the greatest?

inshAllah we all shud try n put this practice of Miswaaak in our livess .. brothers n sisters make the intention ..from tomoro or from next week.. (if u still need to go n get a miswwak) .. n MISWAAK wrks wonderssss .. *talkin from experience* .. as far as i know u all have gt examss .. seriously if u use miswaak.. u know stuff EASILYY .. n it helps you to REMEMBER STUFF ..

*inshAllah..in few mnths shud make a poll of miswaak n ask how many have made the intention* (INSHALLAH)

Uthman
01-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Subhanallah or alhamdulillah or mashallah sister! (whichever one applies ;) )

So how do we use the miswaak? :confused:

WomanOfJihad
01-10-2005, 11:11 PM
*mistake*

WomanOfJihad
01-10-2005, 11:13 PM
err..brother .. u might want to ask one of the Brothers using miswak to DEMONSTRATE it to u .. that way theyl show u HOW to hold it as well..

*sorry cant seem to find the wrds to Explain*

Khattab
03-11-2005, 02:16 AM
Salam woman of jihad because of your post I bought one of these today, so jazzakallah khair to you. The taste of it will get a bit of getting used to though.....

WomanOfJihad
03-11-2005, 03:49 PM
:sl:

SubhanAllah..great to hear uve decided to use miswak .. lol as for the taste...depends which kinda miswaak u use ...coz they cum in different tastes .. took me ages to find the right taste .. Alhumdulillah the one i use its nearest taste like a mint flavour .. :thumbs_up

*any1 else using miswaak?*
:w:

أحمد
03-11-2005, 04:35 PM

:) Well actually Yes. And just take a look at my teeth: :D

;) Alhamdulillah its very good . . .

WomanOfJihad
03-11-2005, 09:57 PM

I should be starting soon insh'Allah.
InshAllah bro the soooner the better ... its nt that hard to get hold of a miswaak..

Brother_Mujahid
03-11-2005, 10:10 PM
i want a miswaak :brother:

WomanOfJihad
03-11-2005, 10:18 PM

in Al-Atfaal .. last tym i went they had loadsss of different types of miswaak .. BEST Place to shop in :thumbs_up

أحمد
03-11-2005, 10:28 PM

Come, let us brush our teeth . . . :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PS: I had a gif image to attach to this, but it's abit large "47.9" KB

WomanOfJihad
03-11-2005, 10:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Waheed

Come, let us brush our teeth . . . :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PS: I had a gif image to attach to this, but it's abit large "47.9" KB

Miswaak aint only about Brushing our teeth but its actin upon one of the BIGGEST SUNNAH !! (inshAllah)

أحمد
03-11-2005, 10:45 PM

:applaud: Alhamdulillah. Yes that's true . . . It is indeed the Sunnah of the Prophet (saw) . . . ;) :D

Khattab
03-12-2005, 12:05 AM
Woman Of jihad what one tastes like mint, ie what is the packeging like?

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-12-2005, 02:14 AM
Here's a toothpaste miswaak:

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-12-2005, 06:55 PM
I don't know, but you can click the picture.

Khattab
03-12-2005, 08:01 PM
the old school style is better than the tube i think, all natrual

WomanOfJihad
03-12-2005, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hash

No way! Who sells these? Are they sold in the UK aswell!

lol YEAHH they r sold here in Highfields for suree .. i remember having it at home .. the taste is nowhere near ORIGINAL miswak .. SubhanAllah . pple are now tryin to cum up with easy ways to use miswak .. funny ..anyways better stik to the REal Miswak.. :thumbs_up

Woman Of jihad what one tastes like mint, ie what is the packeging like?
err Bro Amir ... i dunno abt the package but it comes seperate .. some1 gave me that as a hadya.. n i forgot to ask the person where they bought it from ... inshAllah ill find out soon..

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-13-2005, 02:50 PM
For all those wondering, it looks like...

WomanOfJihad
03-14-2005, 07:47 PM

The scholars have differed as to whether siwaak should be done with the right hand or the left hand. One group – the majority – think that it is better to use the right hand, because of the general meaning of the hadeeth narrated by ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) liked to start with the right when putting on his shoes, dismounting (from his camel), when cleaning himself, and in all things.” (Agreed upon). (They also say that) siwaak is an act of worship and drawing closer to Allaah, so it should not be done with the left hand.

Other scholars say that it is better to use the left hand for siwaak, because it comes under the heading of removing dirt.

Some scholars have said that when a person is using siwaak with the intention of following the sunnah, he should use his right hand, and if he is doing it to remove dirt, he should use his left hand. The fact of the matter is that this issue is open, as there is no definitive daleel or report, and every opinion has a valid point.

The fuqaha’ suggested that when using siwaak, a person should start on the right, and use a side-to-side motion rather than up-and-down, as the latter may harm the gums. Among the etiquette of using siwaak, they mentioned the following:

That a person should not use the siwaak in front of others or in public, because this is impolite.

That the siwaak should be washed after use, to get rid of any dirt that may be on it. ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to use siwaak, then he would give it to me to wash it. I would use it first, then wash it and give it back to him.” (Reported by Abu Dawood, 1/45).

The siwaak should be kept in a clean place.

A simplified method to follow (provided by brother Kibriya);

HOW TO USE THE MISWAK

STEP ONE:

Simply scrape off about half an inch from the tip.

STEP TWO:

Then chew the tip gently until brush-like

STEP THREE:
Start brushing horizontally.

STEP FOUR:

After brushing wash the tip.

STEP FIVE:

Store packet in packet provided so it doesn’t become dirty.

STEP SIX:

Before going sleep store the miswak in a glass filled with water and put the part of the miswak that was used and leave it overnight to be soaked.

STEP SEVEN:

In the morning cut the bristles and start from step one again, this ensures u have clean bristles every day so that it is more hygienic and effective.

Miraclebrush.com

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-14-2005, 07:49 PM
SubhanAllah, that's a really good website, WomanofJihad.

It also says:
The relationship between chewing sticks (Miswak) and periodontal health. 2. Relationship to plaque. *

For centuries, chewing sticks have been used as a tooth-cleaning device. One of the most commonly used types is known as the Miswak. Despite its common use, few studies have examined possible effects on the gingiva and the surrounding structures.

The purpose of this study was to examine the relationship between Miswak and periodontal health. The incisors, canines, and premolars were examined in 236 patients. All patients were interviewed regarding their demographic data, oral hygiene habits, and use of Miswak. Clinical examination included scoring of plaque, gingival inflammation, pocket depths, attachment loss, and gingival recession.

Patients were divided into three groups: a Miswak group, a toothbrush group, and a Miswak/toothbrush group. The results of this study indicated that use of the Miswak may influence plaque accumulation and periodontal health.

[Source: King Saud University, College of Dentistry, Riyadh 11545, Saudi Arabia. Authors: Eid MA, al-Shammery AR, Selim HA.]

WomanOfJihad
03-14-2005, 07:52 PM

indeed i RECOMEND all to cHEk the sIte outt insHALLAh.. there are loads of things we could learn.. n it will make us realise the importance of using Miswaak inshAllah..

Khayal
06-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Assalaam O Alaikum Wa rahamatulahe Wa barakatuh

An excellent sharing, may ALLAH(SWT) reward you best. jazak ALLAH khair. :rose:

Wa Alaikum Assalaam Wa rahamatulahe Wa barakatu

Ibn Syed
06-04-2005, 01:33 AM
Jazakallah I never knew this stuff before.

panIslamist
06-04-2005, 03:32 AM
:thumbs_up

I agree with no. 13 see below

narrated by ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Siwaak cleanses the mouth and pleases the Lord.’” (Reported by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh, 2/274, and by Ahmad, 6/47, and al-Nisaa’i, 1/50).

Ukhti_TM
06-04-2005, 01:30 PM

jazak allah for the post sis

i find miswak so kard to bite it to make the brush but alhamdulillah i do use miswak.

WomanOfJihad
07-19-2005, 05:31 PM

The use of miswak is a means of purifying the mouth and is pleasing to almighty allah. ( bukhari)

when the prophet saw intended to recite the holy qur'an or sleep, he would use a miswak. he did the same when entering the house. aisha radiallahu anaha said the first thing that the messenger saw did on enetering the house was miswak"

aisha radiallahu anha narates that the prophet saw " never woke from sleepin at any time of the day or night without cleaning his teeth with a miswak before performing ablution." ( Abu dawood)

SEVENTY EXTRA REWARD FOR ONE SALAH

aisha adiallahu anha has reported " the prayer before which the miswak is used is seventy times more excellent than that before which is not used. ( Baihaqi)

* the miswak is a stick by which a person cleans his mouth. this is a great sunnah of rasulullah saw. it is also a sunah of all prophets , for they used the miswak.

Abu hurairah radiallahu anhu narathes Allah's apostle saw said " if i had not found it hard for my folowers or the people, i would have ordered them to clean their teeth with miswaak for every prayer.( bukhari)

the miswak has benefits for a person in this world and the hereafter. the miswak saves you from many types of illness in the mouth, with the gums and teeth. hadhrat Ali, Hadhrat Ata and Hadhrat Abdullah ibn Abbas states that miswak strenghtens a person memoey, cures headaches, relieves the veins in the head, it gets rid of plaegum, strenghtens the eyesight, keeps the live healthy and helps digest food , increases intelligence, helps increase in family. lineage stays healthy in an old age and strenghtens the stomach. ( SubhanAllah)

]* the doctors say that the reason for spots in the mouth are due to heat and acid from the liver and bacteria is created inthe mouth, one should use miswak as the saliva that is created from using the miswak rids the illness.[/B]*

DISADVANTAGE OF TOOTHBRUSH

according to reseracher, 80% of illnesses of intestine, liver disease com from bad health. in general those who do not keep their teeth clean, bactearia will create more disease inthe body. remember that the tothbrush is not a substiture of a miswak as the researches have stated :
when the toothbrush is used once a bed of bacteria sits at the botom of the brush, even after washing the brush the bacteria will increase with the brush, the natural brightness of teeth is lost, by using brush gaps are created between the gums and teeth, when gaps are created bits of food get stuk and bacteria grows, beside many illnesses in the eyes can be created, weakness in the eye as well as one cal lose their eyesight.

Batoota
07-20-2005, 06:50 AM

Jazak Allah for this wonderful information. Alhamdillah, I do use miswak (however, after reading all this, I don't use it enough. Insha Allah, I'll use it more!).

A while back I heard quite an interesting story regarding miswak. I tried searching for its authenticity and came up with nothing. Perhaps one of you guys have heard it:

Before going to jihaad all the Muslims got their miswaks and started brushing. Somebody (or maybe all of the enemy?!) from the enemy saw them and got so scared: they thought the Muslims must be so strong to be brushing their teeth with sticks! Now, either the enemy freaked out and ran away, or the Muslims just won, I can't remember. :confused:

has anybody heard of this???

Batoota
07-20-2005, 07:59 AM

~lol~ yeah i heard of tht somewhere
tht's a true one
Jazak Allah!

WomanOfJihad
07-20-2005, 11:02 AM

i heard of that story ... inshAllah i'll try posting it if i can find it.

Helena
05-11-2006, 02:07 PM

Alhamdulillaah, we all understand the importance of oral hygiene. Science in the twentieth century has shown us the link between poor oral hygiene and certain diseases such as stroke, heart disease, pre-term babies, as well as general ill-health of a person.

However, while shuffling between electric/sonic toothbrushes, water piks and expensive dental treatments, we forgot that while the rest of mankind just recently discovered the toothbrush about a 100 years ago, one unlettered Prophet (pbuh) living in the middle of a desert 1400 years ago, already showed us the significance of brushing the teeth and keeping the mouth clean

The Prophet’s (pbuh) teeth were beautiful, perfect and pearly white at a time when the concept of oral healthcare was totally obscure and nobody beyond the age of 30 had any teeth left!

He (pbuh) used the Siwaak or tooth stick to clean his teeth, a twig taken from the araak tree found in and around Makkah. He (pbuh) loved to use it and highly encouraged us to do the same.

Ibn Masâood said: I used to gather siwaak sticks from the araak tree for the Messenger of Allaah (pbuh). (Ahmad--hasan).

Now, I am not telling you to throw out your toothbrushes in the garbage.

The Siwaak is an act of worship and a Sunnah for which you will be rewarded, so use it in addition to you toothbrushes, and gain the pleasure of Allaah, Most High.

BENEFITS OF SIWAAK:

1) Siwaak is an act of worship and pleases Allaah
The Prophet (pbuh) said, Siwaak cleanses the mouth and pleases the Lord. (Bukhaari)

2) The Prophet (pbuh) highly encouraged it:
Use of the Siwaak is a Sunnah that you will be rewarded for and is greatly encouraged. The Prophet (pbuh) said:
Were it not for the fact that I did not want to make things too hard for my ummah, I would have commanded them to use the Siwaak at every time of prayer. (Bukhaari)

3) Medical benefits
While some educated Muslims consider the Siwaak ˜barbaric and uncivilized” and look down upon those who use it, scientific studies have proven beyond doubt, that the Siwaak not only brushes the teeth and keeps them white, but also has antibacterial properties, fights gingivitis, eliminates bad breath, strengthens the gums, prevents plaque, helps in digestion, and contributes to the general health of the individual. (Islamic medicine by Dr. Mohammad Nezar al Dagr)

This is yet another proof of the truthfulness of the prophethood of Muhammad (pbuh).

TIMES WHEN SIWAAK IS RECOMMENDED

Siwaak is recommended at all times of night and day, but there are certain specific situations where use of the siwaak is even more strongly encouraged.
1)When making wudooâ and at times of prayer.
The Prophet (pbuh) said: “Were it not for the fact that I did not want to make things too hard for my ummah, I would have commanded them to use the siwaak at every time of prayer. According to another report he said: “…at every time of making wudoo

2)When entering one's home :
Aaâishah said, When he (pbuh) entered his house, the first thing he would do was to use the Siwaak. (Muslim).

3) When getting up from sleep.
Hudhayfah (RA) said that when the Prophet (pbuh) got up during the night, he would clean his mouth thoroughly with the siwaak.(Bukhaari,Muslim)

4) When the mouth emits odor:
Such as after eating food with a strong odor, like onions or garlic or because of not eating or drinking for a long time, etc.

5) When going to the masjid:
Using siwaak is part of the adornment which we (men only) are commanded to wear for every prayer. It is also important because the angels are present in the mosque, and one is going to meet with other worshippers there.

6)When reading Qurâaan and doing dhikr of Allaah:

7)When joining good gatherings

8) After the signs of death are evident:
It is reported in Bukhaari that Aaisha (RA) said that the Prophet (pbuh) wanted to and used the Siwaak just before he (pbuh) passed away.

Important points about the Siwaak

1)The twigs of the araak tree are preferable but any kind of sticks that are cleansing may be used, if it is not available. (That includes toothbrushes and toothpastes)
2)It is forbidden to use harmful or poisonous sticks or things that are not taahir (pure).
3)There is nothing wrong with using siwaak flavored with mint, lemon, etc. unless the person is fasting.
3) The Siwaak should nether be too dry(it may hurt the gums)nor too wet (wonât clean)
4)A person should start from the right side, and use a side-to-side motion rather than up-and-down, as the latter may harm the gums.
5)One should not use the siwaak in front of others or in public, because this is impolite.
6) The siwaak should be washed after use.
Aaâishah RA said: The Prophet (pbuh) used the siwaak, then he would give it to me to wash it. I would use it first, then wash it and give it back to him. (Abu Dawood)
7)The siwaak should be kept in a clean place.

Using siwaak when fasting

The scholars agree that there is nothing wrong with using siwaak during the day when one is fasting. However, one should avoid using any of the flavored Siwaak that are available and only use the natural kind during this time.
Some people use the hadeeth The odor that comes from the mouth of the fasting person is better in the sight of Allaah than the scent of musk (Bukhaari) as evidence to not use the Siwaak. But, this is not applicable since this mouth odor is caused by the stomach being empty, not from the mouth itself and will not be dispelled by using the Siwaak.

REVIVE THE SUNNAH

This beautiful Sunnah has been lost in the plethora of toothbrushes and modern technologies, and we have put our Siwaaks aside. We need to revive this great Sunnah. Not only will it earn us a beautiful smile, and a healthy mouth and body, but it will also earn us rewards and the pleasure of Allaah Subhaanahu wa Taâaala.

any views inshalah.....

Muslim Soldier
05-11-2006, 02:09 PM
mashallah very nice and educative article

IceQueen~
05-11-2006, 02:15 PM
subhanallah! thanks for the reminder sis'! jazak allah khair:)

Umm Yoosuf
05-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Threads Merged :)

IbnAbdulHakim
05-11-2006, 02:58 PM

JazakAllah khair i would love the sourcing though :). But wow i betta start using miswak more :D :D!!

H4RUN
05-14-2006, 08:29 PM
there are various levels of recomendations from which kind of tree ur miswaak should come from:
The following are the types of miswaak are recommended:

(1) Peelo tree
(2) Zaitoon or Olive tree
(3) Bitam or
(4) Any bitter tree
(5) Walnut tree

Miswaak of the Peelo Tree

"And, the best of Miswaaks is the Peelo, then the Olive."

(KABIRI)

The best type of Miswaak is that which is taken from the Peelo tree. In the Kitaab, Ta-heelul Manaa-fi' it is mentioned that the miswaak of the Peelo tree is excellent for obtaining the glow or glitter of the teeth.

Our Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) also praised and recommended the Peelo tree for Miswaak purposes. Besides recommending the Peelo tree, Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) as well as the Sahaabas (R) used Miswaaks of this tree. Ibn Sa'd (R) narrates that Abu Khabrah (R) said:

"Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) presented me with a Miswaak of the Peelo tree, and he (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said:

'Use the Miswaak of the Peelo tree'."

Ibn Masood (R) said:

"I always kept a stock of Peelo Miswaaks for Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)"

In the Kitaab, Mawaahib, it is stated that the Companions of Imam Shafi (R) have recorded Concensus of Opinion among them on the fact that the use of the Peelo Miswaak is Mustahab (i.e. an Islamic practice which carries much Sawaab (Reward) if upheld, and in the event of not fulfilling it no punishment will be meted out).
Hence been fortunate enough to find the miswaak from peelo tree today, not quite sure what tree the miswaak that i use now and again comes from...

Sister_6038
05-14-2006, 08:31 PM
miswak tis great seriously Aquafresh and Colgate have nothing on it....:D:D:D:D...actually that reminds i must tell momma to get me some when she next goes away...i dont know why but i prefer the ones from back home...i love it when i have my miswak perfect like its needs to be worn in...a bit like my favourite pair of shoes...

shaharoun
05-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Which type of Miswak is best to use?
Brush or one maede from tree?

H4RUN
05-15-2006, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN
there are various levels of recomendations from which kind of tree ur miswaak should come from:
The following are the types of miswaak are recommended:

(1) Peelo tree
(2) Zaitoon or Olive tree
(3) Bitam or
(4) Any bitter tree
(5) Walnut tree

Miswaak of the Peelo Tree

"And, the best of Miswaaks is the Peelo, then the Olive."

(KABIRI)

The best type of Miswaak is that which is taken from the Peelo tree. In the Kitaab, Ta-heelul Manaa-fi' it is mentioned that the miswaak of the Peelo tree is excellent for obtaining the glow or glitter of the teeth.

Our Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) also praised and recommended the Peelo tree for Miswaak purposes. Besides recommending the Peelo tree, Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) as well as the Sahaabas (R) used Miswaaks of this tree. Ibn Sa'd (R) narrates that Abu Khabrah (R) said:

"Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) presented me with a Miswaak of the Peelo tree, and he (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said:

'Use the Miswaak of the Peelo tree'."

Ibn Masood (R) said:

"I always kept a stock of Peelo Miswaaks for Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)"

In the Kitaab, Mawaahib, it is stated that the Companions of Imam Shafi (R) have recorded Concensus of Opinion among them on the fact that the use of the Peelo Miswaak is Mustahab (i.e. an Islamic practice which carries much Sawaab (Reward) if upheld, and in the event of not fulfilling it no punishment will be meted out).

the way of the prophet hence a sunnah, so from a tree definately. as stated above a miswaak from peelo tree if possible if not then the one after and so on...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.