/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Veiled Saudi Woman ‘Humiliated’ at German Airport

S_87
05-11-2006, 02:09 PM
:sl:

JEDDAH, 11 May 2006 — A Saudi woman was humiliated by airport officials in Germany because she refused to remove her hijab for inspection, Al-Watan daily reported yesterday.

The old woman had visited Munich for medical reasons and was with her son at the airport last Sunday on their way back.

“When I walked by the security check, an official demanded that I remove my hijab. I asked her to take me to a private room or that we step behind a curtain. It infuriated her and she shouted in my face, attracting the attention of everyone in the terminal,” the woman said. “She finally took me to a room but went on abusing me.”

Then a male official started abusing her, reminding her that “she is in Germany”.

The woman explained to another official what had happened and told him that she had complied with all the security requirements and still was treated terribly. He attempted to make his colleagues apologize but they not only refused to do so but kept on shouting with no regard for her age or poor health. It all seemed to be because of the hijab, she said.

source

:grumbling just for a veil :rant:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Soldier
05-11-2006, 02:11 PM
and that is what they call democracy!

IceQueen~
05-11-2006, 02:12 PM
that's disdusting behaviour-just because of the hijab!
may Allah help all the muslims against the kuffar!
ameen!

glo
05-11-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm afraid I have observed a similar thing at a German airport last year, when we were flying back to the UK.
A Turkish Muslim lady was asked to remove her hijab, by being told by a male security guy to 'take off that coat'. When she explained that she couldn't do that, he repeated his order another time, this time louder, and finally rolled his eyes and called to a female staff: 'Here's another one!' The female staff then took the woman inside a curtained off cubicle.

I thought it was highly insensitive, and certainly very embarrassing for the Muslim lady.

I am not trying to make excuses for the non-Muslim authorities, but you have to remember that from a non-Muslim perspective wearing a hijab is not only unnecessary, but in a situation such as airport security also time-consuming and inconvenient.

In the situation I observed, the necessary measures had been taken by the authorities (such as providing female staff and a private cubicle), but it was obviously deemed to be a great nuisance.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
05-11-2006, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I'm afraid I have observed a similar thing at a German airport last year, when we were flying back to the UK.
A Turkish Muslim lady was asked to remove her hijab, by being told by a male security guy to 'take off that coat'. When she explained that she couldn't do that, he repeated his order another time, this time louder, and finally rolled his eyes and called to a female staff: 'Here's another one!' The female staff then took the woman inside a curtained off cubicle.

I thought it was highly insensitive, and certainly very embarrassing for the Muslim lady.

I am not trying to make excuses for the non-Muslim authorities, but you have to remember that from a non-Muslim perspective wearing a hijab is not only unnecessary, but in a situation such as airport security also time-consuming and inconvenient.

In the situation I observed, the necessary measures had been taken by the authorities (such as providing female staff and a private cubicle), but it was obviously deemed to be a great nuisance.
Non muslims may think of wearing the Hijab as unnecessary, but it is respect for other people's beliefs that counts.

peace

- Qatada -
05-11-2006, 02:45 PM
:salamext:

Verily! (During the worldly life) those who committed crimes used to laugh at those who believed.

And whenever they passed by them, used to wink one to another (in mockery);

And when they returned to their own people, they would return jesting;

And when they saw them, they said: "Verily! These have indeed gone astray!"

But they (disbelievers, sinners) had not been sent as watchers over them (the believers).

But this Day (the Day of Resurrection) those who believe will laugh at the disbelievers[]

On (high) thrones, looking (at all things).

Are not the disbelievers paid (fully) for what they used to do?

(Surah Mutaffifîn - chapter 83:29-36)

:wasalamex

MetSudaisTwice
05-11-2006, 02:47 PM
salam
may allah guide and protect the muslims
wasalam

IbnAbdulHakim
05-11-2006, 02:52 PM

Alhamdullilah, this sister has had sabr thru sum disgusting act. I pray all my sisters are given such sabr, may she find her justice inshaAllah, Allah is the most just :).
I just hope her son is ok, must hav been a shock for him.

:w:

khadija1426
05-11-2006, 03:43 PM
I am pretty sure that the German airport authorities would not put a Nun in a habit through the same procedure as a Muslim female and yet when you look at the traditionally dressed Nun (and I have seen plenty of them in airports), there is not much difference between them and a Muslimah in a headscarfe and Jilbab, excepting the face veil.

May Allah give us Sabr

Muslim Soldier
05-11-2006, 03:47 PM
What can we do? They are afriad of muslims and its not entirely their fault.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-11-2006, 04:00 PM

Ameen to sis khadija

:w:

khadija1426
05-11-2006, 04:12 PM
May Allah guide us all, the Muslims so that we give a better example of true Islam as revealed by Allah (swt) and conveyed by His Messenger (saw) and the non-believers so that they can see past entrenched prejudices and double standards. Since I reverted and put on a headscarf and jilbaab there is hardly a day I leave my house and don't expereince some kind of insult, either direct verbal abuse (I couldn't possibly repeat some of the language that has been hurled at me!) or mocking noises (you know the ones...coming up behind you and making a noise like a bomb exploding!) or scoffing glances (raising the eyes with tutting accompaniment!), I regularly get people pulling up along side my car and sticking one or two fingers up at me or shouting some abuse. And I have made a point of noticing non-believers reactions when a traditionally dressed Nun passes by....rarely a raised eyebrow, at most a naive and somewhat cute question from a small child! It isn't the Hijab they have a problem with, it isn't the Prophet (saw), its Islam...true Islam ...undiluted....unliberalised.... their hearts know Islam is the one and only truth, but they are so misguided as I once was, Alhamdulillah those days are past! May Allah (swt) guide them.

glo
05-11-2006, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asma1
Non muslims may think of wearing the Hijab as unnecessary, but it is respect for other people's beliefs that counts.

peace
I agree.
I was explaining the behaviour, but I am not condoning it.

Peace.

glo
05-11-2006, 05:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khadija1426
I am pretty sure that the German airport authorities would not put a Nun in a habit through the same procedure as a Muslim female and yet when you look at the traditionally dressed Nun (and I have seen plenty of them in airports), there is not much difference between them and a Muslimah in a headscarfe and Jilbab, excepting the face veil.

May Allah give us Sabr
That's a very good point! I wonder what kind of treatment a nun in habit would receive.

I think it comes down to not understanding another culture.
My guess is that there are rules and regulations which ensure that cultural needs are met (such as the female staff and the private cubicles) ... but unless the staff really understand the reasons behind these requirements, their behaviour may remain disrespectful.
I like to think that not everybody would act in such a away. :?

Unfortunately you also have to consider the present political climate.
I don't think nuns are associated with suicide bombings ... Muslim women (rightly or wrongly), perhaps are. :(

Peace.

Tania
05-11-2006, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
and that is what they call democracy!
this is not democracy. This is what we call lack of education (without the 7 years from home):rollseyes

kd_ku
05-12-2006, 03:40 AM
it is very not democratic to muslims....

muamena
05-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Bismillah
Asalaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

Source

JEDDAH, 11 May 2006 — A Saudi woman was humiliated by airport officials in Germany because she refused to remove her hijab for inspection, Al-Watan daily reported yesterday.

The old woman had visited Munich for medical reasons and was with her son at the airport last Sunday on their way back.

“When I walked by the security check, an official demanded that I remove my hijab. I asked her to take me to a private room or that we step behind a curtain. It infuriated her and she shouted in my face, attracting the attention of everyone in the terminal,” the woman said. “She finally took me to a room but went on abusing me.”

Then a male official started abusing her, reminding her that “she is in Germany”.

The woman explained to another official what had happened and told him that she had complied with all the security requirements and still was treated terribly. He attempted to make his colleagues apologize but they not only refused to do so but kept on shouting with no regard for her age or poor health. It all seemed to be because of the hijab, she said.

Fi Aman Allah
muamena

Najiullah
05-18-2006, 08:25 PM
thats bad :(

primitivefuture
05-18-2006, 08:27 PM
And you are here posting? Shouldnt we be fighting back? I am sick and tired of this.

Do Muslims like being abused?

Sister_6038
05-18-2006, 08:32 PM
something similar like this happened to my study circle teacher...some "power crazed" worker at Heathrow Airport asked her to take off her jilbab off in front of a whole load of strangers!! grrr this was because she went off when she went through the beepy thing (hey i dont know the technical lang for it!!) well it went off...so this nutter and yes she was crazy....she was shouting at my SC leader to take off her jilbab right there....my SC leader refused to do it there....as you would....and then what does the crazy woman do?? she starts screaming "SECURITY SECURITY WE HAVE A SITUATION!!" seriously though....imagine all those people seeing this happening....i mean....what can i say?? *sighs* well finally a room was assigned...

this story is not as exciting when you read it....(im saving all my literary skills for the examiner muhahaha)... although the best part of this story has to be when my SC leader had taken off her jilbab and then the worker woman (aka nutter in disguise) got her jilbab and took it to the x-ray scanner hahaha and she didnt do it once not even twice she did it THRICE!!! hahahaha!! imagine that!! what a sight!!

Muhammad
05-18-2006, 08:40 PM

Threads merged.

muamena
05-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Bismillah
Wa alaykum salaam,

sorry i didn't know it was previously posted :embarrass

fi aman Allah

searchingsoul
05-19-2006, 01:10 AM
sadly this is necessary in todays world

Umar001
05-19-2006, 01:31 AM
I think Glo has brought a good view point in, I was gonna say similar, of course I dont agree with anyone even raisin g an eye brow at my sis but Glo just reminded us the prospective of some people which sometimes they may not wanna be offensive, May Allah reward this sister for her patience at the airport, and reward her for any humiliation she was cause and grant non-muslims understanding of Islaam and guide them to the straight path, but humiliate the kufar.

Salam Aleykum

glo
05-19-2006, 06:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
May Allah reward this sister for her patience at the airport, and reward her for any humiliation she was cause and grant non-muslims understanding of Islaam and guide them to the straight path,
Salam Aleykum
Yes, she was a very patient and humble woman.
My heart went out to her!

Peace.

saidaharther
05-19-2006, 06:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

source

:grumbling just for a veil :rant:
that's very sad news inshalha she will get rewarded for what she had to be patient against ameen

Panatella
05-19-2006, 06:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by primitivefuture
And you are here posting? Shouldnt we be fighting back? I am sick and tired of this.
What do you think should be done? How would you fight back?

glo
05-19-2006, 11:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Panatella
What do you think should be done? How would you fight back?
I wouldn't recommend fighting back against airport security - Muslim or not.
At the very least they'd haul you through security procedures and you'd miss your plane!

By the end of the day those guys are they for the safety and security of all of us!

Much needs to be learned about each others religious practices and customs.
Hopefully things are getting better gradually.

Peace.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.