/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "Muhammad" Most Popular Among Danish Muslims

sonz
05-11-2006, 06:26 PM
COPENHAGEN, May 10, 2006 (IslamOnline.net) – Danish Muslims are increasingly giving their new-born babies Islamic names to help preserve their identity, with that of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing be upon him) being the most favored choice.

"My wife and I have agreed to give our boys and girls Islamic names in the hope they would reflect positively on their personalities," Omran Tharwat told IslamOnline.net on Wednesday, May 10.

He named his last baby girl after Prophet Muhammad's wife 'Aisha.

"We believe she would grow to be proud of that name and work hard to follow the shining example of 'Aisha," said the father.

Recent figures by the Danish National Statistics Office show that Muhammad, Ahmed, Fatima and 'Aisha are few but to mention of the favored choice among the Muslim minority.

Statistics indicate that some 8928 Danish Muslims carry the name Muhammad.

In 2004 alone, more than 167 new-born babies were registered with the Prophet's name.

Fatima, the Prophet's daughter, and 'Aisha top the choice for Muslim girls.

Muslims make up around three percent of Denmark’s 5.3 population, making Islam the second largest religion after the Lutheran Protestant Church.

Identity

Fatima and 'Aisha top the choice for Muslim girls.

The increasing popularity of Muslim names is seen as part of efforts by Danish Muslims to preserve their identity.

"Danish Muslims want to help their children preserve their Islamic identity," Sheikh Mustafa al-Shanded, a social and religious counselor, told IOL.

He, however, urged Danish Muslims to pay more attention to teaching their children about their faith.

The name Muhammad has become a household name in Denmark after the recent cartoon crisis.

Last September, Denmark's mass-circulation daily Jyllands Posten commissioned and printed 12 caricatures of the Prophet, including one showing him with a turban shaped like a bomb strapped to his head.

The images, considered blasphemous under Islam, were later reprinted by European newspapers.

The drawings have sparked off global and sometimes violent protests against Denmark.

A massive boycott of Danish products has also inflicted heavy losses on Danish companies.

Also read:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Islamic_Always
05-16-2006, 11:41 AM
A statement on the continuity of boycott of the Danish companies

In The Name Of Allaah The Most Merciful And Ever Merciful

All perfect praise is due to Allaah; may Allaah exalt the mention of Prophet Muhammad, his companions and those who follow in his footsteps.

To proceed:

Many voices have sounded the request for stopping the influential boycott against the Danish companies, which was initiated as a consequence of the recent publication of the caricatures that ridiculed the Prophet, sallallaahu'alayhi wa sallam, (may Allaah exalt his mention), and as a result of the reaction of the Danish government towards these caricatures.

In response to this request, some big names from among the Muslim businessmen (may Allaah guide them all) have indeed stopped their boycott. On the one hand, this saddened those Muslims who rose in defense of the Prophet, sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, using the weapon of boycott (to the Danish products). On the other hand, this gratified the Danish companies and those who sympathized with and supported them. All this has taken place while the Danish government still insists that there will be no change in their stance or reaction towards the event, reflecting a high level of indifference.

Therefore, we advise all Muslims, especially businessmen and companies, to continue their boycott because it is a very powerful weapon which has proved that it can prevent the aggressors from further aggression, and has made the country of Denmark an example that deters many other countries (from repeating the Danish mistake), in addition to uniting the Muslims on a large scale.

We also advise our brothers who called for lifting of the boycott against the Danish companies to reconsider their statement.

We ask Allaah to guide us all to that which He loves and is pleased with.

Signed by:

Shaykh 'Abdur-Rahmaan bin Naasir Al-Barraak.

Shaykh 'Abdullaah bin 'Abdur-Rahmaan Al-Jibreen

Shaykh 'Abdul-'Azeez bin 'Abdullaah Al-Raajihi

KAding
05-16-2006, 12:41 PM
'Mohammed' has been the most popular name in Amsterdam for years now. I think it has mostly to do with many Muslim parents not being imaginative to think of anything else :p.

- Qatada -
05-16-2006, 12:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
'Mohammed' has been the most popular name in Amsterdam for years now. I think it has mostly to do with many Muslim parents not being imaginative to think of anything else :p.

No, its more to do with the fact that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the best man to ever walk on the earth.

Peace.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
05-16-2006, 12:46 PM
Or maybe it's coz they respect the prophet and want their children to follow his example.

Muslim Soldier
05-16-2006, 12:49 PM
yeah right!

KAding
05-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Don't worry. I was only kidding.

It all does seem a bit blasphemous though, that there are so many boys who are called Mohammed but are Muslim only in name.

HeiGou
05-16-2006, 01:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
COPENHAGEN, May 10, 2006 (IslamOnline.net) – Danish Muslims are increasingly giving their new-born babies Islamic names to help preserve their identity, with that of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing be upon him) being the most favored choice.
Just out of interest, on a slightly related note, Richard Bulliet published a book demonstrating the process of conversion to Islam in the Middle East. He did it by looking at the names and making a guess at when someone's family became Muslim by when they adopted Muslim names. He recently published another one in which he traced Old Testament names among Medical Students at Harvard, names in Iran and names in Turkey. He argued that religion peaked in the US in the first decade of the twentieth century because the number of students with names like Zerubabel peaked around then. He argues that Islam is on the decline in parts of the Muslim world because the blatantly religious names are declining. Apparently in Iran such names peaked around 1981 and have declined ever since.

Anyway I recommend his earlier work on conversion more than his modern work.

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-16-2006, 01:26 PM
I think it was on the news a while ago that Muhammad was the number one name for new born baby boys in Britain. I was thinking 'Allahu akbar!'.
:w:

Muezzin
05-16-2006, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Mu'MiNaH~
I think it was on the news a while ago that Muhammad was the number one name for new born baby boys in Britain. I was thinking 'Allahu akbar!'.
I was thinking 'man, am I going to be confused' :p

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Sorry. Confused about what?

Muezzin
05-16-2006, 01:45 PM
About the sudden influx of dudes called Muhammad. It gets confusing when you know so many Muhammads that you run out of digits to count them on :p

HeiGou
05-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Think about the poor school teachers - "Would Muhammed please sit down over there, no, not that Muhammed, the other Muhammed, no the one with the two left feet, OK, the one with two left feet and a scar on his right cheek"

I suggest they all be given ID numbers at birth. Not only will you be able to tell them apart - Muhammed 732 657 is nothing like Muhammed 245 897 - but when the Government's new security cards come in their target market will already be bar-coded.

Muezzin
05-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Muhammad 1138 would escape though. George Lucas would make sure of it.

As to the topic, Muhammad is indeed a beautiful name, but it can get confusing when seemingly everyone is called Muhammad :p

mizan_aliashraf
05-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Salam
I have Muhammad somewhere in my name, in fact it appears twice, but my first name is not Muhammad
Wassalam

Muslim Soldier
05-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Muhammad is a popular name. It is better if the parent names the child Muhammad sumthing else (2 names)
Like Muhammad Sadiq

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Well I see what you mean... hehe. That's why if i have a son insha-Allah if i'm blessed enough to get married, I will name him one of the prophet Muhammad's (SAW) other names. eg Mustapha, Mahmoud, Ahmad...

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-16-2006, 02:08 PM
p.s.... who's George Lucas?

HeiGou
05-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Well I see what you mean... hehe. That's why if i have a son insha-Allah if i'm blessed enough to get married, I will name him one of the prophet Muhammad's (SAW) other names. eg Mustapha, Mahmoud, Ahmad...
Well here's hoping you'll be really blessed and you can name one after each of his other names!

Spanish girls are traditionally called Maria so they always have to be called something else as well to distinguish them from all the other Marias. Even some of the boys are called Maria.

mizan_aliashraf
05-16-2006, 02:10 PM

Allahu-A'lam

Mohsin
05-16-2006, 02:11 PM

Ain't he the Star wars guy

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-16-2006, 02:12 PM
How many sons do you think i'm going to have?*rolls eyes*.... the second one will definitely be called Mujahid.... or maybe Jihad!
Assuming i have a second one... or any at all.

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-16-2006, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Moss
Ain't he the Star wars guy
oh yeah... what's he got to do with this?

Mohsin
05-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Lol i dunno, i just answered your question!

Muezzin
05-16-2006, 02:17 PM
oh yeah... what's he got to do with this?
George Lucas' first film was THX 1138. It's kind of like George Orwell's '1984', and THX 1138 is the main character who manages to escape the dystopian future he's living in. And it's nothing like Star Wars, but excellent in its own way. I read HeiGou's post and was reminded of how the characters in that film have numbers instead of names.

mizan_aliashraf
05-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Salam
Hmm, I have better things to waste my time on
Wassalam

HeiGou
How many sons do you think i'm going to have?*rolls eyes*.... the second one will definitely be called Mujahid.... or maybe Jihad!
Well I think you need at least a cricket team. Then you can called them M. Gary Sobers, M. Courtney Walsh, A. Curty Ambrose.....

muzna
All muslim boys in my country have Muhammed as their first name, and all muslim girls have Fathima, that's why we are called by our second names

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Cricket team? I'm not raising an army you know. Although that would be cool, could send them to jihad!
George Orwell's 1984 is interesting... but we're so off-topic!

mizan_aliashraf
05-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Salam
True. And sis, you definitely love the whole jihad thing. Masha'allah. May Allah reward you.
Wassalam

Muezzin
05-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Ameen.

Meanwhile, back on topic... :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.