/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prophet Muhammad

glo
05-12-2006, 06:19 AM
I have tried to read up on the prophet Muhammad.

There is one thing I would like to ask. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I am fairly ignorant in this matter ... so please forgive me.
I feel comfortable enough in this forum, to ask such a question direct and without frills. :rollseyes

I read about Muhammad's on this board.
As a non-Muslim, he sounds to me like a man who spent some time alone in a cave, came back and wrote a book.
What (other than Muhammad's own words) convinces Muslims that Muhammad indeed had visions from the angel Gabriel, and that indeed the Qu'ran is the word of God?

I'd love to hear your answers - personal views as well as official ones.

Peace.:)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
F.Y.
05-12-2006, 09:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

There is one thing I would like to ask. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I am fairly ignorant in this matter ... so please forgive me.
I feel comfortable enough in this forum, to ask such a question direct and without frills. :rollseyes

As a non-Muslim, he sounds to me like a man who spent some time alone in a cave, came back and wrote a book. What (other than Muhammad's own words) convinces Muslims that Muhammad indeed had visions from the angel Gabriel, and that indeed the Qu'ran is the word of God?

Hi glo :)
Well, personally, this is what I think. You have explained yourself that you are fairly ignorant in this matter. That's not a problem though because we are all here to learn. I think your statement about the Prophet Muhammad (saw) which I highlighted in bold above is rather simplistic. The Prophet's life was not comprised of staying in a cave and then writing a book. His life in minute detail is documented in volumes and volumes and volumes of books - it's not simply a matter of going in and out of a cave.

I think it would be fairly offensive if someone said (and this is what I have heard someone say) "Jesus was just a carpenter who had nothing better in life to do than go around and talk randomly to people." - Would you say that sums up Jesus' (peace be upon him) life?

It doesn't - I think it is an unfair statement based on ignorance. In the same way, how you summed up the Prophet Muhammad (saw) life is also unfair.

That's what I think anyway.

Peace

SirZubair
05-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Sister glo,..before the Astugfirullah Police take over this thread,let me just say :

Buy a copy of Muhammed - His life according to the earlier sources (By Martin Lings)

You will learn alot more from that book than you will learn from any of us on this (or any other) forum.

Wa'salaam

-Zubair

------
05-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Sister glo,..before the Astugfirullah Police take over this thread,let me just say :
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You will learn alot more from that book than you will learn from any of us on this (or any other) forum.
Very true :thumbs_up

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
05-12-2006, 09:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by F.Y.
Hi glo :)
Well, personally, this is what I think. You have explained yourself that you are fairly ignorant in this matter. That's not a problem though because we are all here to learn. I think your statement about the Prophet Muhammad (saw) which I highlighted in bold above is rather simplistic. The Prophet's life was not comprised of staying in a cave and then writing a book. His life in minute detail is documented in volumes and volumes and volumes of books - it's not simply a matter of going in and out of a cave.

I think it would be fairly offensive if someone said (and this is what I have heard someone say) "Jesus was just a carpenter who had nothing better in life to do than go around and talk randomly to people." - Would you say that sums up Jesus' (peace be upon him) life?

It doesn't - I think it is an unfair statement based on ignorance. In the same way, how you summed up the Prophet Muhammad (saw) life is also unfair.

That's what I think anyway.

Peace
Hi F.Y.

Thank you for your correcting comments.
I apologise, if this is how my question came across. :(
I should not have put my comment about Muhammad so glibly and simplisticly.
:sorry:

There are indeed people who would say that "Jesus was just a carpenter who had nothing better in life to do than go around and talk randomly to people." ... or even people who would say he didn't exist at all.
And neither you nor I would agree with them.
... But that's not the point of this thread.

May I just restate my question:
What (other than Muhammad's own words) convinces Muslims that Muhammad indeed had visions from the angel Gabriel, and that indeed the Qu'ran is the word of God?

I mean no offense. Honest! :hiding:

Peace. :)

S_87
05-12-2006, 09:31 AM

As a non-Muslim, he sounds to me like a man who spent some time alone in a cave, came back and wrote a book.

Hi

well firstly Muhammed :arabic5: couldnt have written the Quraan because he :arabic5: couldnt read nor write. the first revelation is with regards to this

Read! In the Name of your Lord Who has created (all that exists).

He has created man from a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood).

Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous.

Who has taught (the writing) by the pen.

He has taught man that which he knew not.

(96)

anyone who wants to question the Quraan has been challenged by Allah to write anything like it. those challenged previously could not do so.

The Quraan is totally accurate in every single way. not one mistake or contradiction can be found. in some cases (Sure Tahrim for example) it questions actions of muhammed :arabic5:
the Quraan also addresses Muhammed :arabic5:
in other cases (sure Room for example) it tells things that could not have been known as it was something of the future

every single verse is a proof that it couldnt have been written by muhammed :arabic5: but is indeed the word of Allah

waji
05-12-2006, 10:11 AM
:sl:

i hope this book may help u by Ahmed Deedat
http://muhammad.net/mg/index.htm

I think u want to ask that, is Quran the word of Allah ??
As in some of the earlier post it is said that Prophet Muhammad:arabic5: didn't know to read and write
The most important thing is if u read Quran u will know it is not written by any men it is the word of Allah
The scientific information given in it, proves that it is the word of Allah

Every true Prophet came to this world just gave the message of Allah, the message, to how live in this world, they all tought three main Believes
There is no God except Allah
There will be a day of Judgement
Im Prophet of Allah

no why Allah sent so many Prophets because after the Prophet the people made the changes in the Believes , in the Books or i should say truth was not there so Allah sent another Prophet with the True and main message now What was revealed to all Prophets like Prophet Mosa(A.S) , Prophet Isa (Jesus) (A.S) and Prophet Muhammad :arabic5: was the same relegion
now We Muslims belief the same thing

There is no God except Allah
There will be a day of Judgement
Muhammad :arabic5: is the last Prophet of Allah

now why Prophet Muhammad :arabic5: is the last Prophet because as i said that every Prophet was sent with the same message but after him people changed things in it But Quran hasn't changed this also proves that Prophet Muhammad :arabic5: is the True and Last Prophet of Allah
so Quran is the Word of Allah, if not then u give me answer why not Quran is changed after 1400 years ??

open ur mind and heart and accept the Truth

:w:

glo
05-12-2006, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=amani;306461]
Hi

well firstly Muhammed :arabic5: couldnt have written the Quraan because he :arabic5: couldnt read nor write. the first revelation is with regards to this

Read! In the Name of your Lord Who has created (all that exists).

He has created man from a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood).

Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous.

Who has taught (the writing) by the pen.

He has taught man that which he knew not.

(96)
Thanks. :)

Who actually wrote the Qu'ran, if not Muhammed?

in other cases (sure Room for example) it tells things that could not have been known as it was something of the future
Like prophecies? Do you have any examples?

anyone who wants to question the Quraan has been challenged by Allah to write anything like it. those challenged previously could not do so.
I don't understand what you mean by this.

Peace.

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-12-2006, 10:29 AM
The Qur'an was not actually written down in book form until after the Prophet's (SAW) death. Many of the companions memorised the Qur'an by heart. It was stored in the hearts of the righteous companions. But when the threat of the Qur'an being lost came, the prophet's closest companion felt it was necessary to compile it in book form.
The ayah in surat ar-Rum came down when the Romans lost a battle against the persians. As the Romans were christian, the Muslims were in their side. So in the ayah it said that the Romans would again become victorious in 3-9 years. And I think the battle took place in 8 and a bit years, and they won.
And about the challenge. Allah Ta'ala says in the Qur'an that if you think that the Qur'an is not the word of God, then make a chapter like any chapter of the Qur'an if you are truthful. And you should know the shortest chapter in the Qur'an is 8 words in arabic (i think).
MAY Allah forgive me if i've said anything wrong.
-Peace

mizan_aliashraf
05-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Salam
Good point sis. By the way, nice gun!
Wassalam

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-12-2006, 10:33 AM
It's there to emphasise the qoute.

glo
05-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Hi all!

The more often I read my first post, the worse I feel!
Even my husband has told me that 'I should know better!' ... :uuh:

I didn't mean to disregard Muhammed, his teachings or his life.
By saying he sounded like 'a man who spent some time alone in a cave, came back and wrote a book', I meant just that:
What happened when he spent his time in the cave?
How are Muslims sure that he truly had a vision and revelation from God's messenger?

I know people are starting to answer that question.
Thanks for that.
I just felt I should apologise one more time! :X :embarrass :phew

Peace.

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-12-2006, 10:37 AM
It's ok. I know you didn't mean it in a rude way. I hope i've cleared some things up for you.
-Peace

waji
05-12-2006, 10:43 AM
:sl:
Hi all!

The more often I read my first post, the worse I feel!
Even my husband has told me that 'I should know better!' ... :uuh:

I didn't mean to disregard Muhammed, his teachings or his life.
By saying he sounded like 'a man who spent some time alone in a cave, came back and wrote a book', I meant just that:
What happened when he spent his time in the cave?
How are Muslims sure that he truly had a vision and revelation from God's messenger?

I know people are starting to answer that question.
Thanks for that.
I just felt I should apologise one more time! :X :embarrass :phew

Peace.
i think ur not getting the answer
u said he went to cave and came back with a message or Book
then Read the Book That speaks it self that it is a Revelation from Allah

plz hope think and read with open mind and heart

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Oh and also glo, the Qur'an came down over a period of 23 years. So it definitely wasn't a case of going to a cave for a bit and popping out with a whole new religion;).

Mohsin
05-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi glo

theres a thread which discusses why the qur'an is the word of God. it is full of miracles.
There are scientific miracles in the Qur'an, of facts that were not know and only recently have been discovered.
The Qur'an contains prophecies, that seemed so unrealsitic, and yet they came true. Why would a man who is a supposed liar make such prophecies that seem so untrue, that would leave him so prone to be exposed as a liar? Also the Qur'an contains historical facts that were unknown, and differed say with the Bible. Without criticising the Bible, there are some errors in there due to early mistranslations. For example the Bible says the "leader" at the time of Moses was called Pharoah. The qur'an also says this, and both have been proven to be historiaclly correct. However, the "leader" at the time of Prophet Yusuf, or Joseph in the Bible is referred to in the Bible also as Pharoah, but suprisingly in the Qur'an it is referred to as King. Historians have proven at Joespeh's time Pharoahs did not exist and it was kings
Now the miracle here is that people claim Prophet Muhammed PBUH copied from the bible, that he copied biblical stories etc. Two things can be said to refute this point, first of all Muhammed PBUh did not meet Jews and Christians untill he PBUH migrated to Medina after 13 years, whereas all the verses talking about the past prophets were revaled before this time. Secondly, if Muhammed PBUH is said to have copied the Bible, why did he selectively copy material, and leave out others. For example the Bible says the moon emitts its own light, now why didn't the Prophet Muhammed copy this? Instead it says in the Qur'an the moon reflects the sun's light. Similarly why didn't Prophet Muhammed refer to Joesph as Pharoah, why King, which is different to the Bible?

Before that, i recommed this short article about a conversation that occurred during the Prophet SAW's time, that proves his prophethood http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503546990
Its an excellent article and i thoroughly recommed it :)

Here is the thread which discusses why The Qur'an is the word of God http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...-word-god.html

Finally there are also other miracles in the Qur'an such as word repititions, specific words are repeated same number of times. For example Akhira (the hereafter) and dunya (this world) are both repeated 115 times, for more information on why this is so miraculous read the thread about it Miraculous word repetitions

------
05-12-2006, 01:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Mu'MiNaH~
Oh and also glo, the Qur'an came down over a period of 23 years. So it definitely wasn't a case of going to a cave for a bit and popping out with a whole new religion;).

Ur a joka lol ;D

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-12-2006, 01:28 PM
I was being serious sis =).

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi glo,
I would encourage you to check the link Moss mentioned:
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...-word-god.html
I have given my arguments in the above thread as to why Prophet Muhammad pbuh had to be a Prophet of God, and the Qur'an the word of God.

Regards

glo
05-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks, all! :)

glo
05-12-2006, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Mu'MiNaH~
I think I understand that now. :giggling:

Peace.

chacha_jalebi
05-12-2006, 02:52 PM
salaam

also d Prophet (saw) went 2 d cave bcos of d atmosphere round him, d quraish wer worshippin stones, cheatin, stealin killin, mankind was in a mess man, so d Prophet (saw) used 2 go 2 cave hira & jus use 2 fink bout d terrible state dat humanity was in (u no dat sounded posh lol) :p

also Allah (swt) revealed d quran 2 him, Allah (swt) chose Muhammad (saw) ova all of d humanity, 2 guide us, from d start of his life d Prophet (saw) we know was goin 2 b guided 4 example - when he was small he was goin 2 go 2 d some carnival party thin wer der was a lot of alchohol & other un islamic stuff happenin, but on d way der he fell asleep & he didnt make it 2 d party, c Allah (swt) protected him from bad stuff - so obviosly fru Allah (swt) guidance RasoolAllah (saw) used 2 go 2 d cave so he cud b away from d bad atmosphere of d quraish & he chose 2 reveal d quran 2 him here in d cave!!. also d Prophet (saw) was seen sittin by a christian under a tree & d christian lad lol sed 2 him dat "no other den a Prophet, has sat under this tree", also in Makkah, he was known as Al Amin - the trustworthy, so it was in his character dat Allah (swt) wud choose him 2 reveal d quran 2. Allah (swt) wrote d quran, as he Allah (swt) says "dis quran wasnt sent down to you, to cause u misery, it was sent so mankind can reflect" - surah ta haa! :)

so Allah (swt) wrote d quran, n revealed it 2 d Prophet (saw)

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-14-2006, 01:13 PM
I think I understand that now. :giggling:

Peace.
Cool. Hope I was of some assistance.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.