/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Book Spotlights "Extraordinary" Lives of US Muslim Women

al-fateh
05-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Book Spotlights "Extraordinary" Lives of US Muslim Women

The cover of the book.

CHICAGO, May 12, 2006 (IslamOnline.net & News Agencies) – A new book by famed American writer Donna Gehrke-White has turned the spotlight on the "extraordinary" lives of Muslim women in the United States as many of their success stories often go unreported.

Gehrke-White has found out many colorful "faces" behind the "veil," who proved to be the most achieving and most educated women in the United States, translating the teachings of Islam into concrete steps thanks to the freedom they enjoy, Reuters reported Thursday, May 11.

"Part of what we found is that the United States is one of the best places in the world for women to practice Islam because they do have freedom, because of our ideas about women having careers and a voice in houses of worship," the writer told Reuters in an interview on her recently released book "The Face Behind the Veil."

"Muslim women here have much more to say in how the religion is practiced," she added.

In her book, the writer greatly admires the keenness of Muslim women on distinguishing themselves in their fields of education and how the illiterate were willing to sacrifice themselves to see that their children get the education denied to them.

"But even these women who were denied the right to read or write in their countries are now eagerly attending classes in the United States for the first time," she writes, noting that they credit the Qur'an's emphasis on education for their desire to learn.

She cited the story of Batool Shamil, an Iraqi female refugee, who was taking pains to give her kids the education she had always dreamt of.

"My dream is for my kids to go to college," Shamil told her.

The writer also referred to another example of a Muslim woman who worked her way through med school and now directs the laboratories of two Florida hospitals.

She passed her career drive on to her daughters: One just graduated from Thomas M. Cooley Law School in Lansing; the other is an investigator for the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office.

The writer estimates there are three million Muslim women in the United States.

She said more than 229,000 Muslim women have settled in the United States in the last decade, adding that once they settled in the country, they have sought to better themselves and become part of the American fabric.

While there is no scientific count of Muslims in the US, six to seven million is the most commonly cited figure.

Most Achieving

The writer also found Muslim women among the most achieving in the country with thousands of doctors, lawyers, engineers, professors and social workers.

"I found Muslim women achieving from coast to coast. They are leading worldwide humanitarian groups in Washington, presiding over juvenile court in Baltimore, delivering babies in Los Angeles, teaching in Miami and helping the homeless in Las Vegas," she writes.

There is Zarinah in Arizona who is now a law student with boundless enthusiasm.

"Muslim women were once teachers, scholars, leaders on the battleground and naval commanders," she tells the author.

"I feel our generation and the next generation will be reclaiming that history."

Gehrke-White also highlights in her book the key social role played by Muslim women in clearing stereotypes and fighting un-Islamic traditions.

"The other thing is that women are Americanising the mosques, bringing in Brownie (scout) troops, self-help programs," Gehrke-White, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist at the Miami Herald newspapers, told Reuters.

She also cites in her book an effort by a group of women to send delegations to Bosnia to help stop honor killings.

The writer also mentioned the case of a South Asian woman who were abused and beaten by her husband, who divorced and left her in Florida all by herself.

"A group of Muslim families have rushed to help the woman and later helped her return to her country of birth," she writes.

The writer further said that Islam has been flourishing in the United States despite the tide of anti-Muslim feeling that swept after Sept. 11.

"Islam is flourishing with new mosques opening every year," Gehrke-White writes.

A May 2004 report released by the US Senate Office Of Research concluded that the Arab Americans and the Muslim community have taken the brunt of the Patriot Act and other federal powers applied in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sonz
05-13-2006, 12:00 PM
A new book, titled “The Face Behind The Veil”, sheds light on the “extraordinary” lives of Muslim women in the United States by narrating several success stories that often go unreported, according to Reuters.

The book, by American author Donna Gehrke-White, estimates that there are 3 million Muslim women in the U.S., most of whom were able to integrate themselves in the American society.

Despite the increase of anti-Muslim feelings after the September 11, 2001 attacks, “Islam is flourishing with new mosques opening every year," Gehrke-White writes.

"While many American women are pushing for reform within the mosque, they don't give up their faith. In Islam they find solace."

Gehrke-White says that more than 229,000 Muslim women refugees have settled in the United States in the last decade. In the book, she describes how they are eager to improve their lives and their children’s.

"Even these women who were denied the right to read or write in their countries are now eagerly attending classes in the United States for the first time," she writes.

Gehrke-White also found that Muslim women are among the most achieving in the country with thousands of doctors, lawyers, engineers, professors and social workers.

"I found Muslim women achieving from coast to coast. They are leading worldwide humanitarian groups in Washington, presiding over juvenile court in Baltimore, delivering babies in Los Angeles, teaching in Miami and helping the homeless in Las Vegas," she writes.

She cited the success story of law student Zarinah, who has been wearing the Hijab since the sixth grade. "Muslim women were once teachers, scholars, leaders on the battleground and naval commanders," Zarinah tells Gerhke-White.

"I feel our generation and the next generation will be reclaiming that history."

HeiGou
05-13-2006, 12:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
"Even these women who were denied the right to read or write in their countries are now eagerly attending classes in the United States for the first time," she writes.
May I ask why you chose to post this. I mean, why were they denied the right to read and write in their own countries?

Gehrke-White also found that Muslim women are among the most achieving in the country with thousands of doctors, lawyers, engineers, professors and social workers.

So if you look at the rest of the world, why are there are so few Muslim women achieve similar things? Where are Bangladesh's thousands of women doctors, lawyers, engineers, professors and social workers? Or as that is such a cheap shot, what is it do you think that holds back women in the rest of the world, whereas they have so many opportunities in the US? Is that a positive thing about America?

sonz
05-13-2006, 06:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
May I ask why you chose to post this. I mean, why were they denied the right to read and write in their own countries?

read this

"Muslim women were once teachers, scholars, leaders on the battleground and naval commanders," Zarinah tells Gerhke-White.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
twelver
05-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Wow, sonz! your article confirms what i already knew; America is a land of opportunity, even for minorities like muslims. Thanks for the endorsement.

Gehrke-White says that more than 229,000 Muslim women refugees have settled in the United States in the last decade. In the book, she describes how they are eager to improve their lives and their children’s.
I wonder how many refugees from the west have picked-up and moved to muslim countries?

Noora_z3
05-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Nice thing to hear, Alhamdullilah.

Man, I knew u or some one else will pick on that n start attacking Muslim countris/socitis. For a change lets look at the bright side here.

Joe98
05-14-2006, 01:25 AM
The story shows that Islam and the USA are compatible.

There is nothing in the story to suggest the USA hates Islam.

-

HeiGou
05-14-2006, 08:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Noora_z3
Nice thing to hear, Alhamdullilah.

Man, I knew u or some one else will pick on that n start attacking Muslim countris/socitis. For a change lets look at the bright side here.
How is that picking on Muslim countries or societies? Or perhaps more importantly, if America allows Muslim women opportunities they used to have in the Muslim world, but do not have any more, shouldn't those Muslim countries and societies that deny women their Islamic rights be criticised? What happened in the Muslim world to deny women the opportunities Muslimas used to have and what can be done about it? Any ideas?

I am all for looking on the bright side. But there are, at most, 2.5 million Muslimas in the US. There are about 600 million of them worldwide. Which is more important to focus on?

HeiGou
05-14-2006, 08:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
"Muslim women were once teachers, scholars, leaders on the battleground and naval commanders," Zarinah tells Gerhke-White.
Indeed. Once. Not any more. Why is it the US, of all places, is allowing Muslim women to be what they used to be in the Muslim world but are not any more? What has gone wrong and what can be done to fix it?

Noora_z3
05-14-2006, 09:07 PM
As u can read above, they were refugees, coming from either warn torn countris, or from familis that oppose some regime, or coming from extremly poor countirs...etc.

I cant really know wats happening in bangalidish, But i can say that girls in Arab countirs have the liberty to study watever they want major in watever speciality they want (excet Saudi, femals still have limited specilisations to choose from). The same bout India, my mother is a former teacher, my sister in law is a gynocologist, my cousin sis is a Computer Specilist, my best freind in India is a lawyer, my sister's mother-in-law is a School Principle, my sister's best frind in india is sudying engineering, my cousins daughter is a dentist, unfortunatly, most of my sister cousins r really young otherwise the list would be longer.

Go to Malaysia, n u will find that femal students in any university outnumber/equlize male students. They r given the same quality of education n the same loan education without any descrimination. The same goes for Pakistan.

The pro is not education, it is more with after education. U see there r nt many jobs available, not just for girls but also for guys.

Also, u need to understand the mentality of many women n the east, particulary in Muslim countirs, even if there hubby's or parents dont mind them working, they still prefer to stay home n take care of their kids, or they choose not to work coz of the unislamic working environment which they dislike.

Therefor, u end up finding not so many working women. But still, there r lots n lots of working Muslim women in Arab world, India, pakistan n in malaysis.

NJUSA
05-14-2006, 09:14 PM
My buddy Sarah El Tantawi's in there- I'm so psyched, she rocks.

Nicola
05-14-2006, 11:03 PM
It's good to hear these woman are allowed the freedom to choose.

Wahid
05-14-2006, 11:07 PM
How is that picking on Muslim countries or societies? Or perhaps more importantly, if America allows Muslim women opportunities they used to have in the Muslim world, but do not have any more, shouldn't those Muslim countries and societies that deny women their Islamic rights be criticised? What happened in the Muslim world to deny women the opportunities Muslimas used to have and what can be done about it? Any ideas?

I am all for looking on the bright side. But there are, at most, 2.5 million Muslimas in the US. There are about 600 million of them worldwide. Which is more important to focus on?
simple answer, becuase the islamic gov arent so islamic after all, bro sonz refers to the time of ottomans and islamic Klaliphats

HeiGou
05-15-2006, 06:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vahid
simple answer, becuase the islamic gov arent so islamic after all, bro sonz refers to the time of ottomans and islamic Klaliphats
Are you suggesting that women had the right to work or get an education in Ottoman Turkey? Because do I have news for you....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.