/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Public schools

sumay28
05-14-2006, 11:32 AM
I don't believe I've seen a discussion on public schools. Maybe I missed it. I've heard, and Allah knows best, that a scholar in this area said that it is haram to send your kids to a public school. I don't like throwing the H-word around, but I just don't see how it can be possible for a young muslim to go to public school. I'm really looking forward to the results of this poll.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazi
05-14-2006, 11:36 AM
:sl:

I don't think it's haraam but it's certainly doesn't help one's iman, thats why I'm gonna inshallah make hijra and move to a muslim country cause I fear for my iman.

Javid
05-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Thats wierd....I dont think any moulana down here in leicester has made that comment on public schools and we do have one of the top moulanas in the country..alhamdulilah

afriend2
05-14-2006, 11:58 AM
salaam,

if i had the choice with my own children (inshAllah) i would send them to Madrassahs....

i myself go to a public/state school and alhamdulillah people respect my faith but i feel Madrassahs are better :). mashAllah i have a private Qu'ran teacher so i dont miss much inshAllah....but i guess there are pros and cons.

one of the pros are that you are able to give da'wah work inshAllah :) im trying to give it to some of my friends :)

but now ive applied for an Islamic college, and inshAllah i'll be going there next year :)

wassalam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
05-14-2006, 12:49 PM

^ Agreed, i would much rather move to a muslim country and raise my children away from fitnah of course gettin them married as soon as possible. Wateva Allah wills and lets all pray for guidance but look at this:

A man went to an imam and asked:

"My daugher is about to study in a college please make dua for her"

To which came the reply:

"Do you ask my to pray that she should walk on water but not get wet?"

Well this isnt no hadith or anything but it certainly is something to think about!

:w:

ummAbdillah
05-14-2006, 02:34 PM
salaam,
bro Abd'Majid i didn't get what the imam meant by: "Do you ask my to pray that she should walk on water but not get wet?"
could you please explain what you think he meant coz am kinda thick :)
was he on about fitnah at colleges??
thnx
wa salaam

chacha_jalebi
05-14-2006, 02:36 PM
:) salaam

mashallah bro abd majid, :)

personally i tink it depends on d person really, lik u cant say jus cos ur kid goes 2 a crappy skool, d kid wil turn out crappy, for example look @ d Prophet (saw) he was sent 2 d quraish who wer propa mashed up & look wot he did, he changed d whole world man & even d khilafa e rashideen (ra) & other sahabas, so in my personal view it depends on d person & how dey r, in sum islamic skools we hav d same tins goin on in normal public skools, & sum madrassahs r kool dow :) :)
inshallah id wanna send my kiddies 2 a normal skool cos den dey get d chance 2 interact wit every1, not every normal skool is mashed or racist lol, i went 2 a normal skool & im normal :p

czgibson
05-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Greetings,

I think it's worth people making clear what kind of public schools they're referring to. The term means something different depending on where you live.

Peace

IbnAbdulHakim
05-14-2006, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lovly_lady
salaam,
bro Abd'Majid i didn't get what the imam meant by: "Do you ask my to pray that she should walk on water but not get wet?"
could you please explain what you think he meant coz am kinda thick :)
was he on about fitnah at colleges??
thnx
wa salaam

Na'am, too much fitnah, its almost impossible to avoid sin when going to college/uni. Its why i use to stay crawled up in my prayer room lol.
the imam meant:
How can you expect me to pray that she walk into a college where theres soo many gazing piercing eyes, teens in there prime etc and expect this girl to not feel the pressure i think. Its tru in a way, refer to my post about the wife of Musa AS, his wife was soooo chaste and modest mashAllah :)

Rabi'ya
05-14-2006, 02:51 PM
by public school do you mean state school?

Rabi'ya:rose:

NJUSA
05-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Will these folks quit throwing the word haram around like it's a football!
It looks like I may have to get rich, and fast, because if public schools are to be avoided, I'm going to need private tutors for any kids I'm blessed with. Barring that, I'll just have to find the best school I can, and pray for them. Also, I was wondering, in the UK, do the Muslim schools have problems with drugs or dating? The Muslim schools in the USA do, they just keep it hushed, but when you ask the kids, they'll tell you who's with whom, and who's selling what.

ummAbdillah
05-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Na'am, too much fitnah, its almost impossible to avoid sin when going to college/uni. Its why i use to stay crawled up in my prayer room lol.
the imam meant:
How can you expect me to pray that she walk into a college where theres soo many gazing piercing eyes, teens in there prime etc and expect this girl to not feel the pressure i think. Its tru in a way, refer to my post about the wife of Musa AS, his wife was soooo chaste and modest mashAllah
your right bro, i would go to a muslim college if there was one near me :(
it's sad seeing muslim boy n gurls acting like the kuffar :(
(jazak allah khair 4 expalinin)

Starseeker
05-14-2006, 04:33 PM
I go to a public/ state school and I don't think that there is nothing wrong with it. I love my school actually.

I used to go to a private islamic school and the only difference that I see is that in the Islamic school they have a speacial time for prayer but in my school we have a prayer room and everyone goes to pray during their own time.

Also you have Islamic Studies and Qu'ran lessons in the Islamic school that I went to and in the school that I got to now you have Arabic lessons but they are optional and you can still do your Iislamic Studies GCSE.

As for learning Qu'ran Madrassahs are here for a reason.

w.salaam

strider
05-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Assalamu alaikum

I'm in my final year at an independant Islamic secondary school. From September, i shall be going back into mainstream education for my A-levels. This is only my opinion, but i do think that it is better to send all children to a state school which is free of any particular religious ethos, as young people can learn to deal with people of different viewpoints and give them the opportunity to learn how to cope when they go out into the unsheltered world, where they will be coming into contact with people of all walks of life and with whom they will have to learn to get on.

Even though religious schools (islamic schools here) can help a child mature and excel well in an environment that is more like their home, there is a risk of them becoming ignorant of other people who share the same breathing space with them and with whom they will probably not come into contact with until their late teens, which can prove to be very dangerous indeed.

About sheltering ones children from sin: sin is everywhere. There isn't much you can do to stop sin from occuring around us but teaching children how to do that effectively is something you have control over and something which is a key fundemental if you wish to live in a society which is full of sin and still prosper as a good Muslim.

Ma'assalama

*noor
05-14-2006, 07:31 PM
salam

all my life i have been going to public school as well as my 7 other siblings. i don't think it is haraam. of course sending them to private school would probably be a better idea so they are surrounded by their religion in many aspects and have Salah in school, but not everyone can afford private school as it is very expensive especially if u have more than 2 or 3 kids.

S_87
05-14-2006, 08:01 PM

i went to a normal public school and would send kids there too. it depends on school

Sister_6038
05-14-2006, 08:37 PM
i went to a public school although to us english lot public school is like the poooosh school like tally ho and jolly good old chap kinda schools :D:D...but yeah my school was a comprehensive the english version of public school...well twas ok i suppose it was an all girls school...personally i think if a school is good its good regardless of whether its private or not...

i mean in my sisters borough the schools are erm grammer schools but erm theyre not private so you dont have to pay a fee and theyre really good as well in fact better than erm a lot of the fee paying ones in my borough...

but i dont know schools....i dont like them...its like in my school it was just strange...but i guess thats what happens when the head decides to stick her grubby fingers in the school funds to treat herself to a sports car...grrr....seriously...i shouldve been a detective...ahhh....

Sunflower
05-14-2006, 08:43 PM
alhamdullilah i went to a islamic boarding school and it was good but my mum saw that i wasnt concnetrating and was mucking bout so she pulled me out n i was taught at home for a year. now i go to a state 6th form
i fynk its important to have a balance of islamic studies n ur oder education which i now get.... regardless of what school u go to its how much work u put in

Nawal89
05-14-2006, 09:51 PM
I've never been to a public school or any school for the matter, been homeschooled all my life. I would send my children to a public school in an islamic country maybe, In a non muslim country, no. I will teach my children at home myself if there is no other option for them. I've seen too many of my friends, act like a muslim when their around muslims, but you dont even recognize them at school. I'm not saying everyone's like that, i just think its better not to take the risk.

Maimunah
05-15-2006, 08:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nurofislam
salam

but not everyone can afford private school as it is very expensive especially if u have more than 2 or 3 kids.
salaam
true say sis
i wish they were less expensive!!!
wasalaam

muslim@
05-15-2006, 11:17 PM
salaamz,by state schools,im sure the maulana means a mixed gender school?here in west yorks,uk,we have girls public schools that have muslim girls,christian girls etc.surely thats not haraam?id say its a question of mixed school,seeing as how even muslimz nowadayz think its perfectly fine for boyz n girlz to mix perfectly freely....seperate public schools are fine,and private schools are too expensive,but thats not all there fault,they'r not government funded,

BlissfullyJaded
05-15-2006, 11:17 PM

Like sis Nawal I never went to a public school. I was also home schooled. But I don't think it [public school] is haram. If its safe, theres not much crime, drugs, etc, I wouldn't mind, sending my [future] kids. An Islamic school would be good too, or home schooling if I have the patience...

firdaw
05-15-2006, 11:32 PM
I myself go to a public school and never heard that it is haram

maybe it is haram or not

sumay28
05-19-2006, 10:47 AM
I went to public school all my life. I remember vividly the first thing they teach you in school is shirk by pledging allegence to a flag! Second thing they teach you is that we came from monkeys. Plus, the environment... I reverted to Islam when I was 15 and my iman fell because of the influences around me. I don't think private school is any better. My nephew is going to an islamic school and I can already see that his influences around him in school are no better than public school. Insha allah i want to homeschool my children. The future of our umma is not looking pretty judging by the way these young muslims in schools, even private schools, are acting and I want my children insha allah to not fall into that.

05-19-2006, 11:07 AM
I've moved around alot so i've been to many schools. I've been to two different islamic schools and about four different public schools (including in Wales). And from my personal experience i would put my kids in Islamic schools inshaallah wherever possible.

But we should also teach them their morals and values at home, and give them a good understanding of Islam. I'm not saying Islmaic schools are perfect - coz they're not - but at least they have islamic rules and ways of dressing, which gets kids used to the idea (coz everyone's dressed modestly).
wassalam:)

truemuslim
01-18-2008, 10:13 PM
is there a choice of 'i go to a homeschool'?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.