/* */

PDA

View Full Version : East Berliners Oppose First Mosque

sonz
05-15-2006, 08:27 AM
BERLIN, May 14, 2006 (IslamOnline.net & News Agencies) – Germans in a small East Berlin neighborhood are opposing the construction of the area's first mosque, saying they do not want Muslim neighbors despite an official approval from municipal officials.

"They want to create a caliphate in Europe," a man in his fifties told Agence France-Presse (AFP) on Sunday, May 14, refusing to give his name.

"Even if it is not very big and they say they will not make a lot of noise, I don't want a mosque here," muttered his neighbor.

Burkhard Kleinert, the left-wing mayor of the district of Pankow, told AFP residents in the neighborhood of Pankow-Heinersdorf "fear an Islamaization of the area, a drop in property prices, and that there will be more traffic and even trouble."

Justice Minister Brigitte Zypries told the weekly Welt am Sonntag on May 7 that the Muslim minority in Germany was suffering a growing religious discrimination with many Germans wrongly associating Islam with terrorism.

The Interior Ministry is sponsoring a mobile exhibition touring the country to draw the line between Islam as a faith and the practices of some Muslims.

The exhibition would visit universities, schools, parliaments, municipalities and cultural centers in the different states.

In December 2004, some 40 Muslim youths, aged 18-30, set up a kiosk in central Hamburg, distributing illustrative materials on Islam and its message.

Threats

The Sehitlik mosque in West Berlin is the largest in Germany.

The local council has received threats to burn down the mosque, according to Kleinert.

He concedes that the council erred by not informing residents beforehand that the land would be sold to a small community of Muslims.

"Perhaps we should have told them earlier."

When the council finally called a public meeting about the mosque in late March it expected about 500 people to show up.

The meeting, attended by Muslim leaders, drew three times as many, including a large showing of members of the neo-Nazi National Democratic Party, and ended in a near-riot.

Shouts of "We are the People", a populist slogan that marked the fall of the communist regime, went up again but this time it had a different ring to it.

Residents subsequently created a committee to formally oppose the mosque, distancing themselves from the neo-Nazi protestors.

"Why Fear?"

Keen on communal harmony, the Muslim minority plans to put construction plans on hold for a while.

"We will wait for people to calm down before we start with the building," Imam Abdul Tariq, 58, told AFP.

The municipality has approved the building plans in April and the construction of the mosque can go ahead.

But no foundation stone has been laid.

Wondering about the reasons of such a fear, Tariq said Muslims plan to win over their fellow Germans.

"We will overcome this opposition by showing that we are loving and well-behaved people," he said, adding that the last thing he wanted was for police to have to stand guard at his mosque.

Muslim leaders said they have outgrown their mosque near the city's Tegel airport and have opted for this area purely because it was the only available piece of land in Berlin they could afford.

The plot sits tucked between a highway, apartment buildings and fast-food outlets.

Muslims bought it from a company handling the privatization of property that belonged to the former German Democratic Republic, as communist East Germany was known.

Though mosques are common in western Berlin with its big Turkish community, in the east only church towers peek out from between the apartment blocks.

Mosques, however, are by no means a new development in Germany.

As far back as the 16th century, Prussian king Frederick William I had the first mosque built in Potsdam for his Turkish soldiers.

In Berlin, the first mosque was constructed in 1924.

Now there are some 30 Muslim places of worship in the German capital, mostly in Neukölln and Kreuzberg.

There are some 3.4 million Muslims in Germany, two thirds of whom are of Turkish origin. Islam comes third in Germany after Protestant and Catholic Christianity.

http://islamonline.net/English/News/...rticle01.shtml

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nicola
05-15-2006, 11:35 AM
will be interesting to follow this story.

Ghazi
05-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Salaam

Inshallah they'll get the mosque built and may allah reward those muslims for there troubles.

Noora_z3
05-15-2006, 11:45 AM
The local council has received threats to burn down the mosque, according to Kleinert.
and they say they r more civilised than muslims.

In my personal Openion, I think the muslims should wait untill the locals r ready to have a mosque in their neighborhood. I dont think its wise to start the construction.
In the meantime, Muslims can pray congregation in some one's house.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
05-15-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm afraid many East Germans are pretty xenophobic in general. I think its mostly to do with the fact that the former Communist state remained pretty isolated and did not absorb new immigrants and cultures like the Western European states did. The other reason is that unemployment is very high, and they tend to think of anyone not born in the same town (with parents born in the same town) as likely to 'steal' their jobs in some way.

R_Mujahed
05-15-2006, 11:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I'm afraid many East Germans are pretty xenophobic in general. I think its mostly to do with the fact that the former Communist state remained pretty isolated and did not absorb new immigrants and cultures like the Western European states did. The other reason is that unemployment is very high, and they tend to think of anyone not born in the same town (with parents born in the same town) as likely to 'steal' their jobs in some way.
That is not a logical excuse!... So I guess Muslims have to be careful in not angering the Germans! We do not want them to commit a true Holocaust! Muslims Holocaust! Then again, we can benefit, especially if it is the real deal.

P.S. Just trying to get a point through... and I do not mean it in a way that is offending people! (I still think it is unjust, that warning I got because some people disagreed with my views on this issue!)

north_malaysian
05-16-2006, 08:12 AM
I do agree with this statement

Trumble
05-16-2006, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by R_Mujahed
That is not a logical excuse!... So I guess Muslims have to be careful in not angering the Germans! We do not want them to commit a true Holocaust! Muslims Holocaust!
It wasn't an excuse, but an explanation. Xenophobia cannot be "excused", but to end it you first have to understand the reasons for it.

I really hope the second sentence in that quote doesn't mean what I think it does.

R_Mujahed
05-16-2006, 09:11 PM
It wasn't an excuse, but an explanation. Xenophobia cannot be "excused", but to end it you first have to understand the reasons for it.

I really hope the second sentence in that quote doesn't mean what I think it does.
Hey! At least we agree that it is not an excuse... That is a good start! :happy:

primitivefuture
05-16-2006, 09:13 PM
There will be a Muslim Holocaust over my dead body!

root
05-16-2006, 09:17 PM
I think the fact East Berlin was under communist control for so long is a clear demonstration of the difference between how western democracy makes for a more religously tolarent society to all faiths and comminism does not.

Incidently, I lived in W. Germany for a number of years and was in Germany when the wall fell.

primitivefuture
05-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Is it true that the burka is banned in Germany?

R_Mujahed
05-16-2006, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by root
I think the fact East Berlin was under communist control for so long is a clear demonstration of the difference between how western democracy makes for a more religously tolarent society to all faiths and comminism does not.

Incidently, I lived in W. Germany for a number of years and was in Germany when the wall fell.

Good Point! And dude your old! :giggling: Don't be :offended: Im just joking :thankyou:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.