/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can you marry without parents consent

Sis786
05-15-2006, 12:33 PM
:sl:

I wanted to know that if you wanted to marry someone who is Muslim and practicing however your parents do not agree to the Nikah can you still go without parents consent and get married.

Please give me your views on this with proof from the Hadith and Quran.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
05-15-2006, 12:36 PM

Umm isnt this a fiqh issue? :?
to be honest i dont think its possible to marry without a wali... coz then how did u end up findin the partner :? ...cant b thru halal means...

IceQueen~
05-15-2006, 12:36 PM
i haven't got the exact reference right now but we were taught in tafsir class that it is as if you are committing adultery if you get married without ur wali's permission... go here http://www.zawaj.com/articles/salahi.html

Sis786
05-15-2006, 12:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marge1
i haven't got the exact reference right now but we were taught in tafsir class that it is as if you are committing adultery if you get married without ur wali's permission... go here http://www.zawaj.com/articles/salahi.html
please find me this quote

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
05-15-2006, 12:40 PM
The guardian of the woman to be married should also be present. The Prophet says: "No marriage can be made without the presence of a guardian and two proper witnesses." (Related by Ad Daraqutni). The woman's guardian is normally her father. If her father is present, no one other than him may act for her. If he is dead or absent, then one of her closest relatives should act as her guardian, such as her brother, grandfather or uncle.
Source

IceQueen~
05-15-2006, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
please find me this quote
i will insha allah, but meanwhile go to the website..

Muslim Knight
05-15-2006, 12:41 PM

I wanted to know that if you wanted to marry someone who is Muslim and practicing however your parents do not agree to the Nikah can you still go without parents consent and get married.

Please give me your views on this with proof from the Hadith and Quran.

Marry with your parents consent. It'll save you from headaches. Especially later when you have children. You wouldn't want them to grow up knowing that you are somehow resented by their grandparents. Negotiate, if you can't sweet talk them.

Sis786
05-15-2006, 12:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
Sis this from a Mans point. A man wants to marry without his parents consent would this quote still be valid

IceQueen~
05-15-2006, 12:44 PM
sis please see this site http://www.zawaj.com/articles/salahi.html :sister:

MetSudaisTwice
05-15-2006, 12:45 PM
salam
Nikah is a personal and individual right whereby every sane adult is permitted to make his or her own decision as far as choosing the marriage partner is concerned.

An adult does not require the consent of his or her parents for the Nikah. Yes, if a woman marries in a lower class, her guardian reserves the right to terminate the Nikah. However, it is best to inform the parents and get their Du’aas for a successful and blissful marriage.

wasalam
Source

MetSudaisTwice
05-15-2006, 12:48 PM
salam
In principle, if an adult boy and girl wishes to marry, they have the right to do so. They do not require the consent of their parents. If they marry, the marriage will be valid.
wasalam
Source

IbnAbdulHakim
05-15-2006, 12:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
However, it is best to inform the parents and get their Du’aas for a successful and blissful marriage.
Source

And im sure thats exactly what every1 wants, a successful and blissful marriage.

Daffodil
05-15-2006, 04:06 PM
It is not permissible for a Muslim woman to get married without the permission of her wali (guardian), rather it is essential for her to have a wali who will get her married, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no marriage without a wali.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2085; classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani. And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Any woman who gets married without the permission of her wali, her marriage is invalid, her marriage is invalid, her marriage is invalid.” Narrated and classed as hasan by al-Tirmidhi, 1102; Abu Dawood, 2083; Ibn Maajah, 1879 – from the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 1840.

Sis786
05-15-2006, 04:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
It is not permissible for a Muslim woman to get married without the permission of her wali (guardian), rather it is essential for her to have a wali who will get her married, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no marriage without a wali.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2085; classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani. And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Any woman who gets married without the permission of her wali, her marriage is invalid, her marriage is invalid, her marriage is invalid.” Narrated and classed as hasan by al-Tirmidhi, 1102; Abu Dawood, 2083; Ibn Maajah, 1879 – from the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 1840.
is that the same with MEN

HeiGou
05-15-2006, 04:08 PM
An adult does not require the consent of his or her parents for the Nikah. Yes, if a woman marries in a lower class, her guardian reserves the right to terminate the Nikah. However, it is best to inform the parents and get their Du’aas for a successful and blissful marriage.
I think everyone would agree it is better to marry with your parent's blessing, but can I ask what a lower class is in Islam and why it is wrong for a woman to marry into one?

Daffodil
05-15-2006, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
I think everyone would agree it is better to marry with your parent's blessing, but can I ask what a lower class is in Islam and why it is wrong for a woman to marry into one?
i think this is a cultural thing nothing to do with islam because in islam we are all equal. i have never heard of this before in my whole life.

dont forget the prophet saw married khadija ra, n she was a very wealthy woman n the prophet saw wasnt wealthy.

Daffodil
05-15-2006, 04:15 PM
is that the same with women
a woman cant marry without a wali, however a guy can but dont do it, there is nothing nice then having tranquility right from the start of tha marriage, its so much better wen u have the blessings and support of all the inlaws. these ppl will be in ur life forever, theyll be ur kids grandparents. marriage is not a place for hostility or amniosity.

Sis786
05-15-2006, 04:25 PM
a woman cant marry without a wali, however a guy can but dont do it, there is nothing nice then having tranquility right from the start of tha marriage, its so much better wen u have the blessings and support of all the inlaws. these ppl will be in ur life forever, theyll be ur kids grandparents. marriage is not a place for hostility or amniosity.
Sorry sis i meant to say is that the same for a man can he get married without his parents consent and he is aware that his parents are NOT happy with his marriage.

Snowflake
05-16-2006, 10:55 AM
salam
Nikah is a personal and individual right whereby every sane adult is permitted to make his or her own decision as far as choosing the marriage partner is concerned.

wasalam
Source
I thought there was no class system in Islam? Even all races are considered equal, so where did the class system come from :?

HeiGou
05-16-2006, 11:17 AM
dont forget the prophet saw married khadija ra, n she was a very wealthy woman n the prophet saw wasnt wealthy.
But Muhammed came from a good clan, as did Khadija. He may have been poor, but his uncles were not. Nor were they undistinguished. It depends, I guess, on how your measure "equality". I read somewhere Abu Hanifa would not let a malwa marry a Arab woman for three generations, but I can't look it up because I can't remember where.

i_m_tipu
05-16-2006, 11:39 AM
i heard from a knwledge(so far i see him) man in a islamic TV programme

where he says:

man and woman both can marry accroding to their choice

but thoug it is discourage by the scholar especially woman

bcoz

* it can harm the disciplinary of the society
* they have a fear woman may not take correct decision all time (very emotional)
* in young age people are full of emotion which prevent youth to take correct decision.

thats why it is discourage for both man and especially woman
marry accroding to their choice without the permission of their walli.

muslim@
05-16-2006, 07:51 PM
it depends on which madhab you follow,you know,the four schools of thought.according to imam hanifa a nikah is valid without the guardians consent,but according to imam shafi'i a nikah is not valid without a guardians consent.both cases apply to both men and women.im not sure about the hambali or maliki ruling since we didnt study it in2great detail.but it is better to have ur parents approval coz parents hold a very high status in islam,plus,less problems.

i_m_tipu
05-17-2006, 06:43 AM
:salamext: sis

format_quote Originally Posted by muslim@
it depends on which madhab you follow.
This is totally unacceptable

madhab is not the founder of Islam

they are coming from the Islam.

Ordinary People on the honorable madhab period cannot research and analyze like the current world can
That why madhab is needed badly on that time

Is not those honorable madhab said “whenever u find better proof (Dalil) that we provided u on any matter than throw out our dalil

People of current world expanding their knowledge and technology lot than the period of madhab.

Now people can search anything on any matter within a minute. Ordinary people can get or do researches also translate the Arabic very easily.

So it is totally unacceptable by giving the excuses of madhab.

We should accept the best and there must not be any excuses.
Even though lot of knowledgeable people gives the excuses of madhad and which create divination on the Islam.

As for those who divide their religion and break up into sects, thou hast no part in them in the least: their affair is with Allah: He will in the end tell them the truth of all that they did.

Why should ye be divided into two parties about the Hypocrites? Allah hath upset them for their (evil) deeds. Would ye guide those whom Allah hath thrown out of the Way? For those whom Allah hath thrown out of the Way, never shalt thou find the Way.

Be not like those who are divided amongst themselves and fall into disputations after receiving Clear Signs: For them is a dreadful penalty,-

And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves; and remember with gratitude Allah's favour on you; for ye were enemies and He joined your hearts in love, so that by His Grace, ye became brethren; and ye were on the brink of the pit of Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus doth Allah make His Signs clear to you: That ye may be guided.

we must not devide
and this subject should have the top pioroty in the case of debate

syilla
05-17-2006, 06:56 AM
then how come a few friends of mine married without their parents knowing...

how the 'kadi' do it...

but i know some have permission from their parents... and they just have to show the letter from their parents...they using wali hakim(i'm not sure in arabic what u call it...wali other than your parents) - this happen becoz they studied in overseas... and they couldn't go back to their home town to get married... so they got married there...

Daffodil
05-17-2006, 08:26 AM
so ur gonna follow a madhab rather then the prophet saw. how does that work? this hadith is very clear. when the prophet saw sed things three times it was a way of him expressing the seriousness of it.

Daffodil
05-17-2006, 08:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
then how come a few friends of mine married without their parents knowing...

how the 'kadi' do it...

but i know some have permission from their parents... and they just have to show the letter from their parents...they using wali hakim(i'm not sure in arabic what u call it...wali other than your parents) - this happen becoz they studied in overseas... and they couldn't go back to their home town to get married... so they got married there...
then their marriage is invalid according to the hadith of the prophet saw i just posted above. the wali has to have a gud reason not to want his daughter to marry the guy, if his reason is baseless, ie he doesnt want them to marry due to him being from outside their caste etc then in that case the brother can act as wali, if not then an uncle, etc if her mehram dnt act as wali she HAS TO HAVE A WALI ASSIGNED TO HER. this issue shudnt be taken lightly as the prophet saw expressed. so u wud need to look into more detail about it.

i_m_tipu
05-17-2006, 08:32 AM
so ur gonna follow a madhab rather then the prophet saw. how does that work? this hadith is very clear. when the prophet saw sed things three times it was a way of him expressing the seriousness of it.

lol.......
i will take any clear proof

Inshallah
05-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Can you marry without your parents consent of course you can.
The question is would you want to, the answer is simple "NO"

syilla
05-17-2006, 08:37 AM
that's what i thought at first... u can marry without your family consent...

but i guess... it has to be discuss in detail...

i_m_tipu
05-17-2006, 08:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inshallah

interesting.....r u reject the above hadis

Narrated and classed as hasan by al-Tirmidhi, 1102; Abu Dawood, 2083; Ibn Maajah, 1879 – from the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 1840.

Daffodil
05-17-2006, 08:57 AM
The question is would you want to, the answer is simple "NO"
did u not bother to read the hadith i posted.

HeiGou
05-17-2006, 09:08 AM
then their marriage is invalid according to the hadith of the prophet saw i just posted above. the wali has to have a gud reason not to want his daughter to marry the guy, if his reason is baseless, ie he doesnt want them to marry due to him being from outside their caste etc then in that case the brother can act as wali, if not then an uncle, etc if her mehram dnt act as wali she HAS TO HAVE A WALI ASSIGNED TO HER. this issue shudnt be taken lightly as the prophet saw expressed. so u wud need to look into more detail about it.
Sorry? You have a Wali assigned? How does that work? And doesn't that just negate the whole issue of marrying with parents' permission anyway? I mean, if there is a good Islamic reason for them not to marry then surely they cannot marry even if their parents' agree. If there isn't, and they want to, and their parents do not agree, are you saying they can just go to an agreeable Qadi who will assign someone to be the girl's wali who will then give permission, and they will marry? Why bother with assigning a wali as it looks like a way to step around the law - why noit just let them marry?

i_m_tipu
05-17-2006, 09:27 AM
parents is a wali

if not than

brother can be wali

if not than

uncle can be wali

if not than

local imam can be wali

i hope i do not miss any thing..

HeiGou
05-17-2006, 09:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by i_m_tipu
parents is a wali

if not than

brother can be wali

if not than

uncle can be wali

if not than

local imam can be wali

i hope i do not miss any thing..
So if your entire family does not agree, you can find a local imam to act as wali instead? How is this different from marrying without your parents' permission except in so far as the external forms of the Law are obeyed?

IceQueen~
05-17-2006, 09:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
So if your entire family does not agree, you can find a local imam to act as wali instead? How is this different from marrying without your parents' permission except in so far as the external forms of the Law are obeyed?
it's not about ur entire family disagreeing-it's if they are nto there for some reason -dead..or something..

Daffodil
05-17-2006, 10:55 AM
because a knowledgeable person, such as an imam or scholar or mufti etc would be able to speak with the girl n ask her if she agrees, if shes ok with everything, does she understand the basics of marriage, check if shes not just doing this on a whim etc, basically the girl needs some protection and the wali is there to giv the consent that that girl is ok with it all. etc there are also loads of other reasons and im sure many wisdoms as regards to this from the prophet saw and Allah swt.

Muhammad Waqqas
05-18-2006, 04:10 AM
Sis this from a Mans point. A man wants to marry without his parents consent would this quote still be valid
Refer to Ibn. Maja: Hadith # 1873. I don't exactly remember the text but it was some what like this:

A girl's parents wanted to enforce a marrage on her, and she did not agree and went to the Prophet and told him everything. He asked her that where did she wanted to marry and told her parents that they cannot force her. She said that she was happy where ever her parents wanted to marry her but just wanted to ask the Prophet if she has the right to reject it or not.

I hope you've got your solution.

Sis786
05-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Ok thank you for all posting but the issue here is that if a man wants to marry a women and his parents are agaisnt the marriage for other issues and not religious can that MAN MARRY?

IbnAbdulHakim
05-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Ok thank you for all posting but the issue here is that if a man wants to marry a women and his parents are agaisnt the marriage for other issues and not religious can that MAN MARRY?

Yes as long as the ladies side agrees but he wont have his mothers blessing...

Sis786
05-18-2006, 12:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid

Yes as long as the ladies side agrees but he wont have his mothers blessing...

Jazakallah Bro

MetSudaisTwice
05-18-2006, 12:54 PM
salam
as long as a wali is present, marriage is valid, parents consent is not neccessary, though people would say that parents blessings should be given
wasalam

Daffodil
05-18-2006, 01:00 PM
salaams sis, i posted the answer in the previous post i think u must have missed it. sorry for not being clearer.

Sis786
05-18-2006, 01:09 PM
salaams sis, i posted the answer in the previous post i think u must have missed it. sorry for not being clearer.
Salaam sis jazakallah for the info, and thanks for your help Wasalaam

Sis786
05-18-2006, 01:13 PM
salam
as long as a wali is present, marriage is valid, parents consent is not neccessary, though people would say that parents blessings should be given
wasalam
I agree with you Bro i know blessing and prayers from parents are important. Jazakallah for your reponse you like the wise shiekh of the forum Mashallah

Woodrow
05-18-2006, 06:40 PM
Here I can use myself as an example. I am over 65 years old, the young lady I am interested in is also in her 60's. Neither of us have any older relatives. Only choice we have for a wali is the Imam. We do have the approval of our children, which is very important to both of us. we also have no plans to marry for at least a year.

so, no a parent's approval is not necessary. the local Imam can be the best choice for the wali.

Daffodil
05-18-2006, 07:26 PM
are u serious bro that ur 65? subhanallah, thats wikid. I pray Allah blesses ur marriage and creates love in ur hearts for eachother and keeps u both very happy in this life and the hereafter ameen.

Woodrow
05-18-2006, 07:35 PM
are u serious bro that ur 65? subhanallah, thats wikid. I pray Allah blesses ur marriage and creates love in ur hearts for eachother and keeps u both very happy in this life and the hereafter ameen.
Will be 66 in July. This will be the 3rd time I marry if we do. My first 2 wives passed away. Lost my first wife in 1989, Second one 2 years ago.

Allah(swt) has truly blessed me. After loosing my first wife, I never thought I would ever re-marry and then out of no where met my second wife. Once again I had no intentions of remarrying and then my daughter introduced me to a wonderfull Muslimah and we are letting it grow from there. My children and grandchildren all love her. I am accepted by her son and daughter.

Daffodil
05-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Will be 66 in July. This will be the 3rd time I marry if we do. My first 2 wives passed away. Lost my first wife in 1989, Second one 2 years ago.

Allah(swt) has truly blessed me. After loosing my first wife, I never thought I would ever re-marry and then out of no where met my second wife. Once again I had no intentions of remarrying and then my daughter introduced me to a wonderfull Muslimah and we are letting it grow from there. My children and grandchildren all love her. I am accepted by her son and daughter.
Subhanallah that is totaly amazing. I pray Allah swt grants u and ur new family the best in everything ameen.!!!

babagrr
05-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Assallaamu alaykum

In order for me to answer you, I'd like to know if you are a cultural Muslim or a Muslim.

If you are a cultural Muslim, do whatever your family tells you to do.
Tell the person that you love that it cannot be; i.e. that you two cannot get married.
Ask your parents to select someone from their clan for you to get married to and then get married, have children and die one day.
Oh, be unhappy but, keep it all inside.
Fake your smiles and for heaven-sake, if you wish to kill yourself, just do it properly.
All in the name of cultural Islam.

Now, let's take it from the viewpoint of ISLAM; not tainted with cultural myths and other misleading fassets.
THE MUSLIM WOMAN AND HER HUSBAND

By
hkruger@huggkiss.ws

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

THE MUSLIM WOMAN AND HER HUSBAND

Marriage in Islam

In Islam, marriage is a blessed contract between a man and a woman, in which each
becomes “permitted” to the other, and they begin the long journey of life in a spirit of love, cooperation,
harmony and tolerance, where each feels at ease with the other, and finds
tranquility, contentment and comfort in the company of the other. The Qur’aan has described
this relationship between men and women, which brings love, harmony, trust and
compassion, in the most moving and eloquent terms:

(And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves,
that you may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between
your [hearts] . . . (Qur’aan 30:21)

This is the strongest of bonds, in which Allah (subhaanahu wa ‘ta’aalaa) unites the two
Muslim partners, who come together on the basis of love, understanding, co-operation and
mutual advice, and establish a Muslim family in which children will live and grow up, and they
will develop the good character and behavior taught by Islam. The Muslim family is the
strongest component of a Muslim society when its members are productive and constructive,
helping and encouraging one another to be good and righteous, and competing with one
another in good works. The righteous woman is the pillar, cornerstone and foundation of the Muslim family. She is seen as the greatest joy in a man’s life, as the Prophet said:

“This world is just temporary conveniences, and the best comfort in this world is a righteous
woman.”

Now, let's look at the selection of one's partner in life from the Islamic perspective.
One of the ways in which Islam has honored woman is by giving her the right to choose her
husband. Her parents have no right to force her to marry someone she dislikes.

Many Muslim women does not know this right and are consequently forced to go in such marriages.
The reason for this is because people believe that the girl should never reject the advice and guidance of her parents when a potential suitor comes along, because they assumably have her best interests at heart, and they have more experience of life and people.
It might be that many parents do care for their daughters and that they do have their best interests at heart but if they really care about their daughters they will take their wishes in consideration and not be so cruel to disinform and pressurize those whom they claim to love.

A woman should never forego her right to choose her own husband or to at least give consent out of her own free willbecause of her father’s wishes, that may make him force his daughter into a marriage with someone she dislikes.

There are many texts that support the woman in this sensitive issue, for example the report
quoted by Imam Al-Bukhaari from al-Khansa’ bint Khidam:

“My father married me to his nephew, and I did not like this match, so I complained to the
Messenger of Allah . He said to me: ‘Accept what your father has arranged.’ I said, ‘I do
not wish to accept what my father has arranged.’ He said, ‘Then this marriage is invalid, go
and marry whomever you wish.’ I said, ‘I have accepted what my father has arranged, but I
wanted women to know that fathers have no right in their daughter’s matters (i.e. they have
no right to force a marriage on them).'”2

At first, the Prophet told al-Khansa’ to obey her father, and this is as it should be, because the concern of fathers for their daughters’ well being is well known. But when he realized that her father wanted to force her into a marriage she did not want, he gave her the freedom to choose, and saved her from the oppression of a father who wanted to force her into an unwanted marriage.

Islam does not want to impose an unbearable burden on women by forcing them to marry a
man they dislike, because it wants marriages to be successful, based on compatibility between the partners;

there should be common ground between them in terms of physical looks, attitudes, habits, inclinations and aspirations. If something goes wrong, and the woman feels that she cannot love her husband sincerely, and fears that she may commit the sin of disobeying and opposing this husband whom she does not love, then she may ask for a divorce. This is confirmed by the report in which the wife of Thabit ibn Qays ibn Shammas, Jamilah the sister of ‘Abdullah ibn Ubayy, came to the Prophet and said:

“O Messenger of Allah, I have nothing against Thabit ibn Qays as regards his religion or his behavior, but I hate to commit any act of kufr when I am a Muslim. The Prophet said: “Will you give his garden back to him?” - her mahr had been a garden. She said, “Yes.” So the Messenger of Allah sent word to him: “Take back your garden, and give her one pronouncement of divorce.”3

According to a report given by Al-Bukhaari from Ibn ‘Abbas, she said,

“I do not blame Thabit for anything with regard to his religion or his behavior, but I do not like him.”

Islam has protected woman’s pride and humanity, and has respected her wishes with regard to the choice of a husband with whom she will spend the rest of her life.

It is not acceptable for anyone, no matter who he is, to force a woman into a marriage with a man she does not like.

There is no clearer indication of this than the story of Barirah, an Ethiopian slave-girl who belonged to ‘Utbah ibn Abu Lahab, who forced her to marry another slave whose name was Mughith. She would never have accepted him as a husband if she had been in control of her own affairs. ‘A’ishah (May Allah be pleased with her) took pity on her, so she bought her and set her free. Then this young woman felt that she was free and in control of her own affairs, and that she could take a decision about her marriage. She asked her husband for a divorce. Her husband used to follow her, weeping, whilst she rejected him.

Al-Bukhaari quotes Ibn ‘Abbas describing this freed woman who insisted on the annulment of her marriage to someone she did not love; the big-hearted Prophet commented on this moving sight, and sought to intervene. Ibn ‘Abbas said:

“Barirah’s husband was a slave, who was known as Mughith. I can almost see him, running after her and crying, with tears running down onto his beard. The Prophet said to ‘Abbas, ‘O ‘Abbas, do you not find it strange, how much Mugith loves Barirah, and how much Barirah hates Mughith?’ The Prophet said (to Barirah), ‘Why do you not go back to him?’ She said, ‘O Messenger of Allah, are you commanding me to do so?’ He said, ‘I am merely trying to intervene on his behalf.’ She said, ‘I have no need of him.'”4

The Prophet was deeply moved by this display of human emotion: deep and overwhelming love on the part of the husband, and equally powerful hatred on the part of the wife. He could not help but remind the wife, and ask her why she did not go back to him, as he was her husband and the father of her child. This believing woman asked him, whether he was ordering her to do so: was this a command, a binding obligation? The Prophet, this great law-giver and educator, replied that he was merely trying to intercede and bring about reconciliation if possible; he was not trying to force anybody to do something they did not wish to. Let those stubborn, hard-hearted fathers who oppress their own daughters listen to the teaching of the Prophet Muhammad SAW.

The Muslim woman who understands the teachings of her religion has wise and correct standards when it comes to choosing a husband. She does not concern herself just with good looks, high status, a luxurious lifestyle or any of the other things that usually attract women.

She should look into his level of religious commitment, his personality, his attitude and behavior, because these are the pillars of a successful marriage.

Islamic teaching indicates the importance of these qualities in a potential husband, as Islam obliges a woman to accept the proposal of anyone who has these qualities and the best features of a husband and towards whom she feels attracted to.

“If there comes to you one with whose religion and attitude you are satisfied, then give your
daughter to him in marriage, (if she gives consent,) for if you do not do so, fitnah and mischief will become
widespread on earth."8

Just as the true Muslim young man will not be attracted to the pretty girls who have bad characteristics, so the Muslim young woman who is guided by her religion will not be attracted to stupid “play-boy” types, no matter how handsome they may be. Rather she will be attracted to the serious, educated, believing man who is clean-living and pure of heart, whose behavior is good and whose understanding of religion is sound.

Growing up in a bad environment has nothing to do with the individual's character. Nowadays people are very close to playing judge by assessing the potential of possible men and women on the mere basis of hear-say and on account of what the family of this particular person did or because of that person's lack of worldly things.

This is not something encouraged by the Prophet Muhammad and should be avoided at all possible costs.
If we do judge young men and women on this criteria, first think about the following statement.

Abu Lahab was cursed by Allah. He was the uncle of our Prophet Muhammd (SAW) but, do we judge the Prophet (SAW) on the basis that Abu Lahab was cursed by Allah? Wouldn't that be a grievious mistake? Wouldn't that be a major sin?

Sahl bin Sa`d As-Sa`idi (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
A man passed by the Prophet (PBUH), so he asked a man who was sitting near him, "What is your opinion about this man?'' That man replied: "He is one of the noblest men. By Allah he is certainly a proper person for (a girl) being given in marriage if he seeks to marry, and his recommendation is fit to be accepted if he recommends". Messenger of Allah (PBUH) remained silent. Then another man passed. Messenger of Allah (PBUH) enquired, "What is your opinion about this man?'' He replied: "O Messenger of Allah, he is one of the poor Muslims. He is not a proper person (for a girl) to be given in marriage to, and his recommendation would not be accepted if he makes one; if he speaks, he is not to be listened to.'' Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "He is better than the former by earthfuls."

No one is a suitable partner for the good, believing woman except a good, believing man; and no one is a suitable partner for the wayward, immoral woman but a wayward, immoral man, as Allah (subhaanahu wa ‘ta’aalaa) has said:

Women impure are for men impure, and men impure for women impure, and women of purity are for men of purity, and men of purity are for women of purity . . . (Qur’aan 24:26)

This does not mean that the Muslim woman should completely ignore the matter of physical appearance, and put up with unattractiveness or ugliness. It is her right - as stated above - to marry a man for whom her heart may be filled with love, and who is pleasing to her both in his appearance and in his conduct.

Appearance should not be neglected at the expense of inner nature, or vice versa. A woman should choose a man who is attractive to her in all aspects, one who will gain her admiration and respect. The true Muslim woman is never dazzled by outward appearances, and she never lets them distract her from seeing the essence of a potential spouse.

The Muslim woman knows that the man has the right of qiwaamah over her, as the Qur’aan says:

(Men are the protectors and maintainers [qawwaamun] of women, because Allah has given the one more [strength] than the other, and because they support them from their means . . .) (Qur’aan 4:34)

Hence, she wants to marry a man of whose qiwaamah over her she will feel proud, one whom she will be happy to marry and never regret it. She wants a man who will take her hand in his and set out to fulfill their life’s mission of establishing a Muslim family and raising a new generation of intelligent and caring children, in an atmosphere of love and harmony, which will not be impeded by conflicting attitudes or religious differences.

Believing men and believing women are supposed to walk side-by-side on the journey of life, which is a serious matter for the believer, so that they may fulfill the great mission with which Allah (subhaanahu wa ta’aalaa) has entrusted mankind, men and women alike, as the Qur’aan says:

(For Muslim men and women - for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are constant and patient, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in charity, for men and women who fast [and deny themselves], for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah’s praise - for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward.) (Qur’aan 33:35)

In order to achieve this great goal of strengthening the marriage bond, and establishing a stable family life, it is essential to choose the right partner in the first place. Among the great Muslim women who are known for their strength of character, lofty aspirations and far-sightedness in their choice of a husband is Umm Sulaym bint Milhan, who was one of the first Ansaar women to embrace Islam. She was married to Malik ibn Nadar, and bore him a son, Anas. When she embraced Islam, her husband Malik was angry with her,
and left her, but she persisted in her Islam. Shortly afterwards, she heard the news of his death, and she was still in the flower of her youth. She bore it all with the hope of reward, for the sake of Allah (subhaanahu wa ‘ta’aalaa), and devoted herself to taking care of her ten- year-old son Anas. She took him to the Prophet, so that he could serve him (and learn from him).

One of the best young men of Madinah, one of the best looking, richest and strongest, came to seek her hand in marriage. This was Abu Talhah - before he became Muslim. Many of the young women of Yathrib liked him because of his wealth, strength and youthful good looks, and he thought that Umm Sulaym would joyfully rush to accept his offer. But to his astonishment, she told him, “O Abu Talhah, do you not know that your god whom you worship is just a tree that grew in the ground and was carved into shape by the slave of Banu so-andso.” He said, “Of course.” She said, “Do you not feel ashamed to prostrate yourself to a piece of wood that grew in the ground and was carved by the slave of Banu so-and-so?” Abu
Talhah was stubborn, and hinted to her of an expensive dowry and luxurious lifestyle, but she persisted in her point of view, and told him frankly: “O Abu Talhah, a man like you could not be turned away, but you are a disbelieving man, and I am a Muslim woman. It is not permitted for me to marry you, but if you were to embrace Islam, that would be my dowry (mahr), and I would ask you for nothing more.”6 He returned the following day to try to tempt her with a larger dowry and more generous gift, but she stood firm, and her persistence and maturity only enhanced her beauty in his eyes. She said to him, “O Abu Talhah, do you not know that your god whom you worship was carved by the carpenter slave of so-and-so? If you were to set it alight, it would burn.” Her words came as a shock to Abu Talhah, and he asked himself, "Does the Lord burn?" Then he uttered the words: “Ashhadu an laa ilaaha ill-Allah wa ashhadu anna Muhammadan rasul- Allah.” Then Umm Sulaym said to her son Anas, with joy flooding her entire being, “O Anas, marry
me to Abu Talhah.” So Anas brought witnesses and the marriage was solemnized. Abu Talhah was so happy that he was determined to put all his wealth at Umm Sulaym’s disposal, but hers was the attitude of the selfless, proud, sincere believing woman. She told him, “O Abu Talhah, I married you for the sake of Allah (subhaanahu wa ‘ta’aalaa), and I will not take any other dowry.”9

She knew that when Abu Talhah embraced Islam, she did not only win herself a worthy husband, but she also earned a reward from Allah (subhaanahu wa ‘ta’aalaa) that was better than owning red camels (the most highly-prized kind) in this world, as she had heard the Prophet say:

“If Allah (subhaanahu wa ‘ta’aalaa) were to guide one person to Islam through you, it is better for you than owning red camels.”7

Such great Muslim women are examples worthy of emulation, from whom Muslim women
may learn purity of faith, strength of character, soundness of belief and wisdom in choosing a husband.

It is very important to note here that men should also take advice from these exemplorary women in choosing a partner.

Muhammad Waqqas
05-20-2006, 01:45 AM
We should try to be more praticle here. Copying-pasting won't work. Now who will read this whole essay that you posted above? Instead, a brief reply would have been perfect. And that is, your parents cannot force you to marry (ibn Maja: 1873). Fullstop. End of the story.

Woodrow
05-20-2006, 03:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Waqqas
We should try to be more praticle here. Copying-pasting won't work. Now who will read this whole essay that you posted above? Instead, a brief reply would have been perfect. And that is, your parents cannot force you to marry (ibn Maja: 1873). Fullstop. End of the story.
Perhaps, a better alternative would be to post a link to the stated reference. Many of us would not know what is meant by (ibn Maja: 1873) or have access to it. The only problem with a link, is sometimes the site the reference is on, by be down or changed.

True it can be cumbersome to read through a whole dialogue of cut and pasted references. But, at the same time we can not always be certain as to what may be of value to a sercher.

With every post we all run the risk of error, however if we err, let it be on the side of too much information, rather then too little.

glo
05-26-2006, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

Hi Woodrow

My best wishes for your third marriage. May it last a long time! :)

Blessings.

Nablus
05-26-2006, 08:19 PM
I think every person shouldnt do this

why?

because

we have to respect their opinions and it should be blessed by the parents

queen_nadia
05-26-2006, 08:30 PM
very true sis a lot of people have made mistakes by getting married behind their parents back. its all good when its just the two of you but when you make it official the spark is lost. it think people find the relationship exciting when its thier little secret

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.