/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Meat-Eating Plants..Hide Your Burgers!!!!

Snowflake
05-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Watch the Venus Flytrap in action!

http://www.hgtv.com/cr/cda/playerex/..._28425,00.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IceQueen~
05-16-2006, 11:10 AM
wow, i've heard of these kind of plants before, that catch and digets insects..
so does that make them 'alive' or just some kind of automatic reaction when stimulated..?:?

Snowflake
05-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Well they lie in wait for insects. watch the video innit! lol

Another one..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...ewcarnivorous?

afriend
05-16-2006, 11:16 AM
I've seen these things i real life, in Homebase garden centre :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
05-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Wow seriously? I'm fascinated by them. Guess where I'll be going this weekend? :p

afriend
05-16-2006, 11:24 AM
LOL Homebase? :p

HeiGou
05-16-2006, 11:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marge1
wow, i've heard of these kind of plants before, that catch and digets insects..
so does that make them 'alive' or just some kind of automatic reaction when stimulated..?:?
Well all plants are alive. As you can see by not watering one for a week. Try asking if a virus is alive or not. Then try to ask if a prion is alive or not.

It is an automatic reaction. You can tickle them with a pen and get the same snapping-shut response. But a lot of plants eat meat. My favourites are those that have a large pool of water at the bottom of a vase-shaped leaf which is full of sticky liquid. The smaller ones catch insects with it (and they decompose in the water which the plant absorbs) but the larger ones catch lizards and frogs. It is not too surprising either - farmers put blood and bone on their fields which just saves the grass from the messy digestion part of the process.

Muezzin
05-16-2006, 11:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
Well all plants are alive. As you can see by not watering one for a week. Try asking if a virus is alive or not. Then try to ask if a prion is alive or not.
Is Osama alive or not?

Venus flytraps are awesome. They remind me of certain types of people, which is amusing.

afriend
05-16-2006, 11:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Is Osama alive or not?

Venus flytraps are awesome. They remind me of certain types of people, which is amusing.
LOL!

But they wouldn't be considered as plants though would they?

Snowflake
05-16-2006, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
LOL Homebase? :p
Lol, obviously! :giggling:

saidaharther
05-19-2006, 08:55 AM
my little brother tried feeding it a pile of ants it almost closed on hsi finger!! wat happens if your finger caught in it? do they poison?

Woodrow
05-19-2006, 09:10 AM
I bought a bunch of them for my grandkids. The local Wal-mart here in Austin sells them. No problem if they close on your finger. Actualy it is very difficult to get one to close on your finger. There are 3 small "trigger" hairs in each trap. For the trap to close any 2 hairs have to be touched in succession or one hair needs to be touched twice. If all 3 hairs are touched at the same time the trap will not close. Most people's fingers are big enough that they will almost always touch all three hairs. Neat system Allah set up so the only way they will close in nature is if a "small" live insect ventured into the trap. The trap also exudes a phremone that attracts insects.

Woodrow
05-19-2006, 09:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I bought a bunch of them for my grandkids. The local Wal-mart here in Austin sells them. No problem if they close on your finger. Actualy it is very difficult to get one to close on your finger. There are 3 small "trigger" hairs in each trap. For the trap to close any 2 hairs have to be touched in succession or one hair needs to be touched twice. If all 3 hairs are touched at the same time the trap will not close. Most people's fingers are big enough that they will almost always touch all three hairs. Neat system Allah set up so the only way they will close in nature is if a "small" live insect ventured into the trap. The trap also exudes a phremone that attracts insects.
Forgot to mention, it is hydralic pressure that cause them to close, not any type of muscular activity. They have a complex system of veins and valves that hod water. The trigger hairs are essentialy mechanical faucets that open and close when touched.

Snowflake
05-20-2006, 08:47 AM
SubhanAllah that's amazing!

How long does it take for the plant to digest an insect?

Woodrow
05-20-2006, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
SubhanAllah that's amazing!

How long does it take for the plant to digest an insect?
I think I have lazy plants. Blasted things haven't been catching any insects LOL. Been feeding them small bits of ground beef and tickle the trigger hairs with a tooth pick. It takes about a week for it to digest the beef. Each trap seems to be good for about 3 uses then dies and is replaced.

Woodrow
05-20-2006, 06:50 PM
I should add, the little critters are sufficient proof to me that something so complex could not have come about by accident. They had to have been designed and planned by Allah(swt)

Snowflake
05-21-2006, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I think I have lazy plants. Blasted things haven't been catching any insects LOL. Been feeding them small bits of ground beef and tickle the trigger hairs with a tooth pick. It takes about a week for it to digest the beef. Each trap seems to be good for about 3 uses then dies and is replaced.
Lol good job you're not a vegetarian, or your plants would starve. I was thinking I'd get some to catch the flies that I find so annoying. After reading your post though I'll stick to swatting them instead.

And nothing has come about without the will of Allah. If we look hard enough we will see His signs are everywhere. :)

Woodrow
05-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Just learned I been slowly murdering my critters. Just got this tip about them

NEVER NEVER NEVER FEED THEM HAMBURGER THE FAT CONTENT IS TOO HIGH AND IT MAY BE FATAL FOR THEM

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.