/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Right To Return to Palestine

Nablus
05-16-2006, 07:16 PM
The Right To Return, a Basic Right Still Denied

• During and after the creation of the Zionist state of Israel, nearly three quarter of a million Palestinians were forced to become refugees. Together with their descendants, these refugees are today the largest and longest suffering refugee population in the world. Over 3.7 million are registered by the United Nations and more than 2 million are not registered. They live largely in countries and regions sometimes within a very short distance of their original homes and lands.

• The international community felt a deep sense of responsibility for this tragedy. Count Folke Bernadotte, the UN Mediator stated: "It would be an offence against the principles of elemental justice if these innocent victims of the conflict were denied the right to return to their homes, while Jewish immigrants flow into Palestine" (UN Doc Al 648, 1948). This remains true today as any Jew, regardless of national origin, can gain automatic citizenship while Palestinians cannot return to their own homeland.

• The Right to Return has a solid legal basis. The United Nations adopted Resolution 194 on December 11, 1948. Paragraph 11 states: "...the refugees wishing to return to their homes and live at peace with their neighbors should be permitted to do so at the earliest practicable date... compensation should be paid for the property of those choosing not to return." Resolution 194 was affirmed practically every year since with a universal consensus, except for Israel and the U.S. The resolution was further clarified by UN General Assembly Resolution 3236 which reaffirms in Subsection 2, "the inalienable right of the Palestinians to return to their homes and property from which they have been displaced and uprooted, and calls for their return". Hindering return is an act of aggression, which deserves action by the Security Council. Israel's admission to the UN was conditional on its acceptance of relevant UN resolutions including 194.

• The Right to Return does not derive its validity merely from UN Resolutions. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights article 13 reaffirms the right of every individual to leave and return to his country. Moreover, the Principle of Self Determination guarantees, inter alia, the right of ownership and domicile in one's own country. The UN adopted this principle in 1947. In 1969 and thereafter, it was explicitly applied to the Palestinian People, including "the legality of the Peoples' struggle for Self-Determination and Liberation", (GAOR 2535 (xxiv), 2628 (xxv), 2672 (xxv), 2792 (xxvi)). International law demands that neither occupation nor sovereignty diminish the rights of private ownership. When the Ottomans surrendered in 1920, Palestinian ownership of the land was maintained. The land and property of "the refugees" remains their own and they are entitled to return to it.

• The right of refugees to return is not only sacred and legal but also possible. Demographic studies show that 80% of Israelis live in 15 percent of the land and that the remaining 20% live on 85% of the land that belongs to the refugees. Further, of the 20%, 18% live in Palestinian cities while the remaining 2% live in kibbutzim and moshavs. By contrast, more than 5,000 refugees live per square kilometer in the Gaza Strip, while over the barbed wire their lands are practically empty.

• According to a 1999 report by Amnesty International, Israel has destroyed 2650 Palestinian houses in the West Bank, including east Jerusalem, since 1987 on the pretext of not having building permission. Further, thousands of acres of Palestinian owned-land have been confiscated to build settlements in these occupied territories. The settlements contravene the 4th Geneva Convention Article 49 which states that the "Occupying Power shall not transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies."

• The inalienable rights of refugees cannot be left to "negotiations" between Israel and the Palestinian Authority. International law considers agreements between an occupier and the occupied to be null and void if they deprive civilians of recognized human rights including the rights to repatriation and restitution.

• The US is bound by its laws not to fund regimes that violate human rights and basic freedoms. There is no more elemental right than one's right to his/her home and to live in his/her land. The US could use the leverage of the massive financial support it gives to the State of Israel to press for this right.

source:http://www.al-awda.org/facts.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
primitivefuture
05-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Posting such articles will do nothing. If you really care, do something about it. Take action. Mobilize a movement. Our Muslim brothers need help.

Nicola
05-16-2006, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by primitivefuture
Posting such articles will do nothing. If you really care, do something about it. Take action. Mobilize a movement. Our Muslim brothers need help.

your right...talk is cheap

Another thread concerning Muslims boycotting banks who refuse to send money to Palestine..that kind of idea will work wonders...IMO

Syed Nizam
05-16-2006, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nicola
your right...talk is cheap

Another thread concerning Muslims boycotting banks who refuse to send money to Palestine..that kind of idea will work wonders...IMO
Hahaha, Nicola. What do u suggests then?:?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nicola
05-16-2006, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Syed Nizam
Hahaha, Nicola. What do u suggests then?:?

It wasn't my suggestion...it was a thread on here...about Muslims asking Muslim business men etc...to boycott western banks..I think it's a brilliant idea...hit the west where it hurts...

killing won't achieve anything sucide bombing etc..may be horrible for the families involved..but it doesn't effect the banking system or the government.....because life is so cheap..today...the love of money is more important..for many people in the west...This is the only way justice will be won.

http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...inian-aid.html

primitivefuture
05-16-2006, 08:49 PM

It wasn't my suggestion...it was a thread on here...about Muslims asking Muslim business men etc...to boycott western banks..I think it's a brilliant idea...hit the west where it hurts...

killing won't achieve anything sucide bombing etc..may be horrible for the families involved..but it doesn't effect the banking system or the government.....because life is so cheap..today...the love of money is more important..for many people in the west...This is the only way justice will be won.

http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...inian-aid.html (Muslim Scholars Threaten Boycott Over Palestinian Aid)
Like you said, hit the West where it hurts :)

Trumble
05-16-2006, 09:12 PM

It's not the Western banks that are the problem, or being boycotted... its nothing to do with them. The problem is the banks in the Middle East that are refusing to hand over the cash that has been donated for fear of American sanctions against them.

primitivefuture
05-16-2006, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I would point out, again, though that Hamas themselves have the power to end the problem instantly, by acknowledging the right of Israel to exist and by renouncing terrorism. As usual, it is easy to blame the Americans and Israelis for everything, but Hamas are equally responsible for whatever "starving Palestinians" there may happen to be
Their home has been taken over. How do you expect them to make an income?

Trumble
05-16-2006, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by primitivefuture
Their home has been taken over. How do you expect them to make an income?
Sorry, I don't understand your point. The "problem" I was talking about was the cessation of US and EU aid to the Palestinian Authority since Hamas won the elections, and the fact that banks won't hand over money donated by muslims for fear of American sanctions. Aid will resume in full if Hamas renounces violence and recognises Israel.

The boycott has a specific purpose, and is not some sort of general protest about Israeli policy in the occupied territories.

Nicola
05-16-2006, 10:40 PM
It's not the Western banks that are the problem, or being boycotted... its nothing to do with them. The problem is the banks in the Middle East that are refusing to hand over the cash that has been donated for fear of American sanctions against them.
sorry read it wrong :hiding: ....but maybe it would be good to boycott western banks also.

Trumble
05-16-2006, 10:51 PM
sorry read it wrong :hiding: ....but maybe it would be good to boycott western banks also.
What, as some sort of general sanction against the West? The problem with that is that, in all honesty, most of them need Western banks far more than those banks need them. Anybody with any REAL money has it in a Swiss bank, and not an American or British one anyway!

Nicola
05-16-2006, 10:58 PM
What, as some sort of general sanction against the West? The problem with that is that, in all honesty, most of them need Western banks far more than those banks need them. Anybody with any REAL money has it in a Swiss bank, and not an American or British one anyway!
oh well.....I know very little about banking etc.. lol it's not really a subject I'm interested in. and I don't have a swiss account.;D

north_malaysian
05-17-2006, 03:26 AM
Palestinian Arabs, Jews, Armenians and Greeks whose ancestor were born or living in Palestine before 1948 must have the right to return. If they want to return to their villages, towns inside pre 1967 Israel it's either they have to be Israeli citizen or permanent resident in Israel.

syilla
05-17-2006, 03:34 AM
is it true that 911 happened because of these reasons...

HeiGou
05-17-2006, 09:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
is it true that 911 happened because of these reasons...
No. The Palestinians were kicked out of their homes in 1948. After fifty years and a decade of working with the US, Osama Bin Laden gets upset about the Palestinian refugee problem? I don't see it myself.

I think it is more likely that OBL tailors his messages to the right market. He knows that Palestine resonates with Arabs and Muslims generally. So he uses it. Does he really care? Well probably, a bit, but I don't see what he has done for Palestinians lately.

aamirsaab
05-17-2006, 09:17 AM
:sl:
This palestinian information is very interesting but you're telling the wrong people. If you want it to have impact, get it on tv or something.

A forum is only taken seriously by the general public when a self-proclaimed terrorist (aka, Uber-Twit) signs up and posts his daily dose of animal feaces.

Nablus
05-17-2006, 12:07 PM
do u think mass media doesnt have a role in politics?!!

Iam a palestinian inside palestine >so what should I do?!!!

Hasbuna Allah

R_Mujahed
05-17-2006, 01:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nablus

Hasbuna Allah
Isboree... along with fighting the oppressers!

primitivefuture
05-18-2006, 02:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nablus

Hasbuna Allah
Mass media is more powerful than any weapon of war. Tell your brother to quit fighting. Use the media to expose the truth, use the media to spread Islam, use the media to have your opinions heard throughout the world.

I am currently working on this noble mission to utilize the media. If you can help me get access to media in Palestine or anywhere nearby, I will be grateful. Print media is the best option.

Nablus
05-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Great thanx brother

I have a hope that we are the winners at the end

Our faith in Allah is strong Allhamdullah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.