/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Patriot Act e-mail spying approved:

babagrr
05-19-2006, 08:31 AM
The Justice Department asks a judge to approve Patriot Act e-mail monitoring without any evidence of criminal behavior.
http://tinyurl.com/kapfx

Perhaps we should look at showing those who'd need to know, how to encrypt there messages.
One never knows what the trigger words may be.

Is it Allah, Mohammed, Love, peace, I dodo not like Bush?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
searchingsoul
05-19-2006, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by babagrr
The Justice Department asks a judge to approve Patriot Act e-mail monitoring without any evidence of criminal behavior.

Perhaps we should look at showing those who'd need to know, how to encrypt there messages.

Are you referring to the terrorists? If so, why?

babagrr
05-19-2006, 06:14 PM
If they would put a system into place, witch I believe is already the case, they'd use trigger words.

So, If I were to write an email, the contents of that mail would be scanned for certain words.....
So, the words, Allah, Islam, etc. would count as trigger-words and trigger the alarm, so-to-speak.

The Duke
05-19-2006, 06:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by babagrr

You can put all the encryption on there you want they can take it right off. Since I do some IT security work I can tell you it's a lost cause.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Z
05-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Salaam.

lol

They've been monitoring your calls ever since telephones were invented. Emails too ever since the Internet boom started. They just didn't want to tell you.

Encryption you say? Ha, it's a mugs game. They'll have you for breakfast.

The Duke
05-19-2006, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Salaam.

lol

They've been monitoring your calls ever since telephones were invented. Emails too ever since the Internet boom started. They just didn't want to tell you.

Encryption you say? Ha, it's a mugs game. They'll have you for breakfast.
The phone company has to monitor your calls how else will they know what to charge you?

Z
05-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Salaam.

A machine does that for them. Don't tell me they hand register every call. And machines are also used to monitor every call and set to record on trigger words.

Don't you learn anything from the movies?

Najiullah
05-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Salaam.

A machine does that for them. Don't tell me they hand register every call. And machines are also used to monitor every call and set to record on trigger words.

Don't you learn anything from the movies?
yeah bro very true

Z
05-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Psst ... here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_war...ce_controversy

Woodrow
05-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Our government in it's infinite wisdom has seen the value of keeping the country in a high alert staus. It enables them to enact various laws and policies to "protect" us from perceived threats. Sadly, it seems most of us are too conditioned to see that we the "common" people are rapidly loosing all rights that were guarnteed under the Constitution and the "Bill of Rights".

Reality check, the US is no longer a Government by the people and for the people. It is now a "factory" designed to promote the life style of the "elite" few; who are who we actually work for and die to protect. Our Government is now the heads of corporations and not the heads of state.

How, many of us ever stop to see that 80% of this countries wealth is controlled by less then 10% of the population? America is rapidly loosing it's status as a democracy (if we ever were one) and becoming a Monarchy controlled by the corporate giants.

Today if a person is not a Millionaire by the age of 21 odds are he will never achieve wealth. Wealth has become something people are born into and is no longer a possibility to work for. The average person has little chance of ever progessing past mediocre comfort. Madison avenue directs us as to what we are to believe success is and establishes our needs then tells us if we are on the "right" path.

The threat of Terrorism is one of the best things ever exploited to keep the American people in control. The Terrorists have won. A terrorist is not Muslim, Christian, Jew or any other religion. It is religion of it's own and it's object of worship is the control of people.

Ghazi
05-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Salaam

Lets remember the Qadar of allah people and not fear some 40 year olds in suits.

KAding
05-19-2006, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Our government in it's infinite wisdom has seen the value of keeping the country in a high alert staus.
Really? Are you saying the power of the government depends on the 'alert status'? That doesn't make sense, since the constitution defines those limits.

It enables them to enact various laws and policies to "protect" us from perceived threats. Sadly, it seems most of us are too conditioned to see that we the "common" people are rapidly loosing all rights that were guarnteed under the Constitution and the "Bill of Rights".
I agree with you that the Patriot Act is a disgrace. But one must not overstate the powers it gives. The police in the US still have more limits imposed than in most other democracies in the world, especially compared to other countries which have known terrorism in the past, like France. And do not forget that most of the provisions in the Patriot Act have a so-called sun-set date, meaning that they expire. Thats why there was such a big fuss about the Patriot Act II, in which the administration only got some of what they wanted.

The only reason why there is such a big fuss about it in the US is because the US has a very strong anti-government and civil liberties base, like the ACLU.

Reality check, the US is no longer a Government by the people and for the people. It is now a "factory" designed to promote the life style of the "elite" few; who are who we actually work for and die to protect. Our Government is now the heads of corporations and not the heads of state.
Please. This is not a 'reality check'. US citizens still have considerable protections, more so than in practically any countries in this world. Could you explain what you mean with it being 'a factory designed to promote the life style of the elite few'? Civil society is very strong in the US. Conservative pressure groups have considerable influence over politics.

How, many of us ever stop to see that 80% of this countries wealth is controlled by less then 10% of the population? America is rapidly loosing it's status as a democracy (if we ever were one) and becoming a Monarchy controlled by the corporate giants.
Democracy does not historically have anything to do with distribution of wealth. There were democracies long before there were welfare states. If you want more redistribution you'll have to go with social democrats. This is however not what the American citizens want, especially now that Conservatism is on the rise in the US, the idea of a big redistributing government is only losing appeal IMHO.

By and large Americans are only getting more prosperous, including those with lower incomes. Median income (for average households) is rising and not falling, so the majority is definately becoming richer.

Today if a person is not a Millionaire by the age of 21 odds are he will never achieve wealth. Wealth has become something people are born into and is no longer a possibility to work for. The average person has little chance of ever progessing past mediocre comfort. Madison avenue directs us as to what we are to believe success is and establishes our needs then tells us if we are on the "right" path.
Mediocre comfort? 'The average person' in the US has a higher income than in any other country on this planet! What are you talking about? What more do you expect your country to do for you?

It is true that social mobility
is slightly lower in the US compared to most European countries, but only slightly so. Either way your story about not having any chances if you are not a 'millionaire by 21' does not make sense. Social mobility has not decreased considerably since the 1970s.

The threat of Terrorism is one of the best things ever exploited to keep the American people in control. The Terrorists have won. A terrorist is not Muslim, Christian, Jew or any other religion. It is religion of it's own and it's object of worship is the control of people.
I don't understand, defining terrorism as a religion is kinda confusing ;). Either way, I think I agree with you on this. The threat of terrorism has been overblown. We need to take a deep breath and look at this rationally.

KAding
05-19-2006, 08:14 PM
You know, in Holland the justice minister doesn't even need to get a judges permission for surveillance. I doubt it is different in many other European countries.

But that is of course not the issue here. The issue is whether it is legal in the United States and whether this administration broke the law, which is very much unclear at this moment.

Woodrow
05-20-2006, 05:12 PM
KAding, I think what happens is we in America have had a very long history of very much freedom. The central government had little impact over the local community. Today, many freedoms we had when I was younger, have disappeared. The local governments are losing rights and the central government is bcoming more powerfull. True the rights were often misused. However, us American's still do not want to be controled by the people in Washington. Here in Texas we even have a noticible part of the population wanting to with draw from the Union. There are some here that still refer to Texas as the "Republic of Texas" I'm just mentioning that to point out the American desire for freedom from Government forces.

Perhaps you feel that some of the rights we have recently lost are good. Such as it was not many years back when any body who wanted to buy a gun just had to walk into a hardware store and pay for one. true that may have been bad, however the retrictions should have been made by local elected authorities and not by federal law.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.