/* */

PDA

View Full Version : making of a suicide bomber

babagrr
05-19-2006, 02:33 PM
could possibly turn people like you and I into "inhuman maniacs"? Food for thought, isn't it?

By Ruhi Khan

(YellowTimes.org):

This article reflects on the emergence of suicide bombers. I have tried to walk a mile in their shoes and witness life through their perspective. Although it's a reflective piece, it is not a figment of my imagination. It has come into existence after a series of dialogues with the Palestinian youth that has provided me with valuable insights to their lives and thoughts. I strongly believe that sensitivity to the plight of Palestinians would be a strong motivator to stop suicide bombings.

For the Western youth with no strings attached to the Middle East, the Israel/Palestine conflict might as well be happening in outer space - for we most often forget that those decaying bodies, the suffocating stench, the dried blood on the collapsed walls are none other than our very own humankind!

Every time I mention the sufferings of Palestinians, I'm accused of backing the "terrorists," and if looks could kill, I'd be long dead. Mention the plight of the hundreds dead and shattered under the Israeli occupation and I'm reminded of suicide bombers - "the absolutely Inhuman Islamic Maniacs that walk the face of Israel."

Inhuman Islamic Maniacs? I must admit the mainstream media has done an excellent job of brainwashing the "rational thinkers" of the West. What could possibly turn people like you and I into "inhuman maniacs"? Food for thought, isn't it?

Ayat Akhras, 18, detonated the explosives on her body outside a grocery store in Jerusalem. The news peg's read, "What Do You Think of Her Actions?" So I began thinking and asked myself if I could do it too, after all, I'm a Muslim girl around her age. My reply? No! Then why could she do it and not me?

This very "why" provides insights for the emergence of suicide bombers. Ayat’s life, at first glance, may not seem much of a tragedy compared to the devastating stories of most Palestinians. The only difference is Ayat refused to be a silent spectator to Israeli atrocities around her and live in constant fear of an Israeli invasion that would turn her world topsy turvy. Her proactive decision to indulge in such an operation and her subsequent tragic death echoes the desperate need to probe into the plight of the Palestinians.

Instead of getting into religious debates which are esoteric, what is really required here is a prudent conditioning of the mind to investigate facts before accepting any myth; of awakening the soul by simply walking a mile in their shoes and, most importantly, the will to care.

As I probed into the core of the matter, I realized that most suicide bombers are circumstantial sufferers. What propels people into such action is a long history of humiliation and deep suffering. Sufferings, directly or indirectly, are responsible for kindling the fire that gives rise to, as Palestinians would put it, "Martyrdom Operations."

Let's transcend into the world of a 19-year-old Palestinian boy whose surroundings could someday turn him into a suicide bomber. For a moment imagine this…

You live in a Palestinian refugee camp. Your father earns just enough to feed your family one square meal a day. You study hard to make a decent living.

Respect in society is important – you have been treated like dirt enough. But your university has been shut down for months by Israeli soldiers for reasons unknown. You get kicked and stripped searched when you walk back home; after all, you are the underdog here. Never mind that the land you once owned spread for acres with a flourishing olive plantation; today you are a nobody with nothing on your back.

Life doesn't get better - only worse. When you reach home, your house is ransacked, crushed by a Caterpillar. But when you enter what was left of your living room, you see your parents lying buried in debris; you can see the array of bullet holes all over the corpses. Your little sister who had picked up a stone to hit one of them [the stone still lies in that small closed fist] was shot too; the bullet pierced right through her forehead and now she is lying there cold and lifeless. What would you do?

Your father wasn't a terrorist; in fact, he wouldn't even hurt a mouse. Your mother didn't even follow the politics of the land. Your sister was, after all, a kid - how can she be a terrorist? Your house was not a terrorist breeding ground. Then why should all this happen to you?

You run to the authorities to seek justice, but they don't care. Incidences like this are commonplace; it doesn't make much difference to them. The pain is excruciating; the injustice brutal, but no one cares. What would you do?

You walk along wounded in thoughts, bleeding in soul and you see another home, another family. A poor couple working very hard tilling the yard; a young man with medical journals; kids playing and laughing. The next day you hear that the Apache helicopters bombarded the refugee camp again and that house you saw yesterday was a target. "It housed terrorists and bred the infrastructure of terrorism," the news reported.

The young boy who wanted to be a doctor someday: terrorist? The couple planting crops: terrorists? The mother who had another life in her womb: terrorist?

The innocuous kids: terrorists?

Another family labeled "terrorist"; another family buried in the trench of injustice; another family perished into nothingness! You feel that pain again; the memories haunt again. You are tired and suffering, dead within, wanting it all to end.

Finally you meet some people who say they care. These people say they know what can end it all; what can make them be heard. They would tell you, "Strap yourself with explosives, and detonate in a busy Jewish street. The Jews will die and people will notice it. We will get attention and then people will start to care!" Now tell me, if you were in that girl's shoes, what would you do?

Frankly, it requires Herculean strength and a state of mind devoid of emotions to die a death where you are conscious you will explode into a million fragments.

It cannot be easy; you have to strongly believe in a certain cause to do what they do. You have to suffer a great deal to cause so much suffering. You have to be dead inside before you can commit suicide in this manner.

It's like a trade off. The Israeli army [which receives patronage of the Israeli public] has killed innocent families and is killing many more innocent Palestinians daily, so why would Palestinians with shattered dreams think twice before blowing themselves up in a crowded place?
When no one cares about them, how can we expect them to care about Israelis?

I'm not promoting suicide bombings. I am trying to understand their perspective. As the clock ticks, people are dying. Not just Palestinians and Israelis, but humankind.

So if we demand suicide bombings to stop, if we desire the demise of suicide bombers, if we really want to destroy the infrastructure of terrorism, and if we want to revive humanity, we first need to learn how to care.

[Ruhi Khan is a business student but started writing freelance thanks to the popular media that oft buries truth deep under layers of "diplomacy" and "selective

focus." Her pen has strong faith in people's mobilization to create revolutions. When the time comes to pick sides, hopefully we won't do it on the basis of religion and blind patriotism but truth and justice.]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazi
05-19-2006, 02:38 PM
:sl:

I 100% disagree with suicide Bombings, It's a waste of a mujahid and also innocents get killed, 7/7 for example muslims died. I know there is a need for jihad but I'll never(Inshallah) support this method.

IceQueen~
05-19-2006, 02:42 PM
yes-it goes against the jihad rules in islam that innocent people shouldn't be killed. and if plants and things get destroyed that's wrong too..

babagrr
05-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Hey there guys.

I think that the author also disagrees with that.
All that she attempted to do was to show us what it must feel like to be in the shoes of those who does this.

Surely, noone that's all happy and chirpy and doesn't have to face an uncertain night is going to strap a load of explosives to their body.

I know, I won't but, we're not them.

We can only make dua and not be indifferent to that witch is indeed going on at this point in time.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kidman
05-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Mashallah, This post is one of the best yet... If you read the persons story, and actually put yourself in that persons shoes (i actually started crying), then a lot of us would feel that helpless where you feel the only way that you can actually do something about your situation is to take your life, and others in the way.

I don't support them, i wish i could help them understand that there are other ways, but i also understand the cause that leads to that type of action. It's truely sad what they live through everyday... and a person can take only so much devistation and humiliation.

Thanks for the post again...
Kavon

Hawa
05-19-2006, 04:29 PM
^^ you just joined and you have close to 50 posts!
mashallah..

yeah the post is pretty long, read it when I get time

Kidman
05-19-2006, 04:30 PM
it's a quick read... takes less than 5 mins... But a good read.

babagrr
05-19-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm glad all of you enjoyed the article;
Let us make a special dua for those who feel that they should go that root so that Allah will guide them and show them that there are alternatives.

It is easy for us, who sleep warm everyday, who have all those around us that care for us and had this opertunity of having received education to judge those who does these awful things.

Let's reach out immediately to those who may need us; let's ask them for pardon and let's show someone we care.
Sometimes people feel like this; even if they don't live in Palestine but, in a house of Psychological terror.

I'll make a special dua for all those people who feel that they are neglected and that nobody cares about them.

Kidman
05-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Mashallah bro, please keep me in your dua's as well :)

babagrr
05-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Assallaamu alaykum

To Kidman

I shall most certainly make a dua for you.
Take care and enjoy the rest of your day.

Nicola
05-20-2006, 07:19 AM
some of these people suicide bombers are victims also of an uncaring world.

searchingsoul
05-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Maybe the suicide bombers used to be those little kids whose parents encouraged them to throw rocks at armored vehicles.

babagrr
05-20-2006, 09:39 PM
And just perhaps your uncle Moshe Nissim was one of those who drove the D9 bulldozer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_D9 into Jenin refugee camp? Or was it you?

http://www.islamicboard.com/world-affairs/21141-i-made-them-stadium-middle-camp.html

"I made them a stadium in the middle of the camp"
gush-shalom (yes, it exists; no conspiracy, it is not a myth created by Hitler's fans.))
http://www.gush-shalom.org/archives/kurdi_eng.html

Israel: Caterpillar Should Suspend Bulldozer Sales (Human Rights ...
http://hrw.org/english/docs/2004/11/22/isrlpa9711.htm

Stop Caterpillar : Image Gallery
http://www.catdestroyshomes.org/gallery.php?gal=5

Noora_z3
05-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Masha Allah, its a great peice of work. I loved it.

Its the way I percive suicide bombers in palestine in other opressed countirs, my rule is never judge these ppl while u r still living in ur cozy sweet home.

They went through a LOT. Not only they faced injustice while they were alive, but their reputation is still being tarnished while they r dead.

Lets pray for them.

- Qatada -
05-20-2006, 10:30 PM
:salamext:

Question.

As-Salamu`alykum. Some people say that the operations carried out by Palestinians are considered suicidal acts and not a kind of Jihad, is that true? Please tell me whether these acts are martyr operations and a kind of striving in Allah's Cause or not?

Answer

Wa`alykum As-Salamu wa rahmatullahi wabarakaatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, we appreciate your forwarding the question to us, with aim of getting acquainted with the teachings of your religion. This is what is required of all Muslims, to strive hard in seeking knowledge with which he will benefit Muslim Ummah.

First of all, we have to bear in mind that when we, Muslims, state that Islam is a religion of peace, we are not trying to prove something unreasonable or solve a crossword puzzle. Rather, we are just stating a fact backed by clear-cut evidence and unquestionable proofs. Even we don’t need to state this fact, for Islam, in itself, is self-explanatory, in terms of its meaning, its noble teachings and the core of its message conveyed by the Prophets Allah sent to mankind. At the same time, all peoples believe that peace and security should be attained through justice and equity.

As regards your question, the following is the fatwa issued by Sheikh Faysal Mawlawi, deputy chairman of European Council for Fatwa and Research:

"Martyr operations are not suicide and should not be deemed as unjustifiable means of endangering one's life. Allah says in the Glorious Qura'n: "And spend of your substance in the cause of Allah, and make not your own hands contribute to (your) destruction; but do good; for Allah loveth those who do good." (Al-Baqara:195).

The verse obviously indicates that failing to spend in Allah's Cause is like casting oneself into ruin. That is the reason behind the revelation of the noble verse. Reviewing the Islamic rule: "Words should be construed as imparting general meanings regardless of their specific occasions", the meaning of the afore-mentioned verse is bound to extend to include any negligence of a religious duty; i.e. forsaking a religious duty entails casting oneself into ruin. The same applies to committing sins.

Therefore, it's quite an abysmal analysis for someone to focus on the afore-mentioned verse through a narrow a perspective, without taking into consideration all relevant points.

Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him)strictly forbade suicide and made it clear that anyone who commits suicide would be cast into hell. But in such case suicide means Muslim's killing himself without any lawfully accepted reason or killing himself to escape pain or social problems.

On the other hand, in martyr operations, the Muslim sacrifices his own life for the Sake of performing a religious duty, which is Jihad against the enemy as scholars say. Accordingly, a Muslim's intention when committing suicide is certainly different from his intention when performing a military operation and dying in the Cause of Almighty Allah. So it is natural that the religious legal status would differ in each case, as Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) says in a Hadith: "Actions are but by intention, and every man shall have but that which he intended."

This means that martyr operations are totally different from the forbidden suicide. Concerning the Palestinians, they carry out the operations in showing resistance to the aggression launched by the enemy who has occupied their land, destroyed their houses, desecrated their sacred places and driven about four million of them out of their houses, replacing them with even larger numbers of Jewish settlements.

The enemy relies on sophisticated military equipments while, at the same time, denying the Palestinians their basic human rights, killing their women, children and men mercilessly, and rendering the Palestinians powerless and incapable of defending themselves – even all the Arab countries face the same fate, lacking necessary weapons.

So the Palestinians have nothing in their disposal but stones which they throw at their enemy in order to defend their country. This, despite its indication of a high morale, cannot deter the enemy this way. So the Palestinians resort to martyr operations, in which the martyr blows himself/herself up, sacrificing his life for the sake of his country and inflicting serious but reciprocal harms on the enemy.

In the light of the above-mentioned facts, I believe that those missions are a sacred duty carried out in form of self-defence and resisting aggression and injustice. So whoever is killed in such missions is a martyr, may Allah bless him with high esteem. I call on every Palestinian not to hesitate in carrying out such operations as long as they are the only way of making Jihad and are made with an intention of sacrificing one's life for the Sake of one's religion and nation. I wish that other scholars who hesitate concerning such a matter to reconsider their views according to what I have said and what other scholars have said. May Allah guide us all to what is right."

Also, it’ll be beneficial to read:

Justice... for Peace and Security.

Allah Almighty knows best.

source: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503543974

:wasalamex

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.