/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is shirk?

glo
05-19-2006, 11:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Asalaamu Alaikum Akhi,

Are you certain you know what is meant by shirk? I do not think anybody could commit it accidently. It takes a definite will to believe in it. True you may sometimes question your faith, we all do, that is just evidence we are not perfect. If this is a very strong fear for you I would suggest you speak to your Imam. With that much fear, you need more counciling then you could ever get from an online forum.
I don't want to take this thread off topic, but can I ask what exactly 'shirk' means.
I found this in wikipedia:
"When the Qur'an describes shirk it frequently seems to be referring to and disparaging the Christian belief in the divinity of Jesus (4:171)."
Is that what is meant in this thread?

Peace.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
05-19-2006, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I don't want to take this thread off topic, but can I ask what exactly 'shirk' means.
I found this in wikipedia:
"When the Qur'an describes shirk it frequently seems to be referring to and disparaging the Christian belief in the divinity of Jesus (4:171)."
Is that what is meant in this thread?

Peace.

Hey.

Shirk means associating partners with God Almighty. That is the worst of all sins in islam.

more info.
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?QR=20482&ln=eng

Peace.

glo
05-19-2006, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Hey.

Shirk means associating partners with God Almighty. That is the worst of all sins in islam.

more info.
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?QR=20482&ln=eng

Peace.
Thank you. What exactly would 'associating partners with God Almighty' mean? What kind of partners? What other 'gods'?

Peace.

- Qatada -
05-19-2006, 03:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Thank you. What exactly would 'associating partners with God Almighty' mean? What kind of partners? What other 'gods'?

Peace.

Hey.

I think its better if we create another thread instead of discussing it in this topic, because it might confuse the brother who started this thread.

Anyway, associating partners with God can be in any form - i.e. when people worship idols, they say they doing it to worship God. Or the example of christians when they believe that Jesus (peace be upon him) is God etc.

This is why in islam, we have no idol in replacement of God, or no human that we worship instead of God, and even when the muslims perform their daily salaah (prayers) - they don't bow down to no idol, no human, but we bow down to God alone (and the intention plays a big role in this obviously.)

Peace.

PS. Thread Moved to Basics of Islam Section.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdullah4ever
05-19-2006, 03:34 PM
:sl:

Shirk is when you asocciate other partners and gods with allah the almighty, and when you give some1 allah's attributes.

An example is some people think Jesus is god and they pray to him that is shirk, and idoltry too. And nowadyas some ppl say Muhammad (saws) has allah's attributes and that is shirk too.

A mushirk (one who commits shirk) will never be forgive on the day of judgement unless he repents sincerly because this is one of the biggest major sins and allah gets really angry.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.