/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Slang ... Lets Have A Vote....

chacha_jalebi
05-19-2006, 10:44 PM
salaam

do people really mind slang?

yes or no!!! voteee :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
A.P
05-19-2006, 10:45 PM
no to slang but if its only a little bit i don't mind

chacha_jalebi
05-19-2006, 10:46 PM
lol vote sista!!

A.P
05-19-2006, 10:46 PM
lol if your talking to me i have

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Lateralus63
05-19-2006, 10:47 PM
This is perfect way to find out whether the majority of the users on this site are kids or mature adults!

chacha_jalebi
05-19-2006, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lateralus63
This is perfect way to find out whether the majority of the users on this site are kids or mature adults!
bro i use slang, so accordin 2 ur theory im a kid!!

cum on sort it out, lets not jump 2 conclusions :okay:

A.P
05-19-2006, 10:48 PM
I'm not a Adult but im not immature either(i think most of us are teens)

czgibson
05-19-2006, 10:57 PM
Greetings,

I can't vote for either option. Let me explain:

There's nothing wrong with slang in itself - it's a natural development of any language, after all. It's just that people forget what the actual purpose of slang is. Slang is intended to be used within groups of people who mutually accept and understand it. For those within such a group, it's a way of reinforcing their bond to each other. For those outside that kind of group, though, it's an alienating use of language.

What I object to is text-speak on a public forum. For those of us used to reading standard English (and let's face it, that's most of us), text-speak is unfamiliar and takes much longer to read. This means that people on the forum who use it will tend to have their posts ignored by most users, who can't be bothered to decode their utterances.

This means that some users are depriving themselves of having their opinions heard, simply because they can't bring themselves to write in standard English. If you want your ideas to be understood by as many people as possible, there's only one option: use the most expressive language known to humanity - English.

Peace

Nicola
05-19-2006, 11:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

There's nothing wrong with slang in itself - it's a natural development of any language, after all. It's just that people forget what the actual purpose of slang is. Slang is intended to be used within groups of people who mutually accept and understand it. For those within such a group, it's a way of reinforcing their bond to each other. For those outside that kind of group, though, it's an alienating use of language

This means that some users are depriving themselves of having their opinions heard, simply because they can't bring themselves to write in standard English. If you want your ideas to be understood by as many people as possible, there's only one option: use the most expressive language known to humanity - English.

Peace
I've noticed that also...it's like there are two different forums going on here....I just can't read it..so have to roll over those posts.

Abdullah4ever
05-19-2006, 11:06 PM
:sl:

So if i dont use slang im not a kid and im a mature adult .. :giggling:

saidaharther
05-20-2006, 12:24 AM
salam alaikum
as long as the slang isn't too copmlicated!! especially internet slang... it took me long long time to find out that 'atm' meant 'at the moment' :heated:

Safa
05-20-2006, 12:26 AM
I don't mind slang, I even use it sometimes.

But when writing I prefer proper English because to be honest I can't read or understand anything when people write everything in slang. I'm sure a lot of members feel this way.

One or two words is fine, I'm cool with that, but just not the whole post.

Wa alaikum salaam

ISDhillon
05-20-2006, 12:48 AM
its ok in a chatroom but not on a discussion forum sorry mate

*noor
05-20-2006, 12:52 AM
if somebody speaks using slang i dont really mind as i use slang myself sometimes when i speak
but when you are typing something, please try to make sure its readable and understandable. if you use slang or abbreviations for some words, its fine. but if u "slangify" (i dont think thats really a word) every word you type, then it makes it hard to understand.

azim
05-20-2006, 12:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ISDhillon
its ok in a chatroom but not on a discussion forum sorry mate
slang or txt speak?

because everyone uses slang, they just don't realise it.

I think theres a case for arguing 'mate' is slang. It's only in colloquial speech that you would call a good friend 'mate'. It's quite common though so I think it might be classed as standard English these days.

*noor
05-20-2006, 01:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
slang or txt speak?

either one is annoying to see on a forum......its just irritating if its done too often......the text speak is probably worse though.....because then you have to struggle to read it.

jzcasejz
05-20-2006, 01:04 AM

WOW! Alota people hate it...I think it's 'cause they're confusing slang with the abbreviation type slang.

I 'av no probz wiv dis typa slang <-- abbreviation type, but I agree shouldn't be used in discussion.

There's also this extreme form of slang where it's like a WHOLE NEW LANGUAGE and I have a big problem with it...they think it's gully when it's not :giggling:

*noor
05-20-2006, 01:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz

I 'av no probz wiv dis typa slang
that's not slang........thats having major spelling mistakes......even though its probably on purpose......it is a bit annoying.

jzcasejz
05-20-2006, 01:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nurofislam
that's not slang........thats having major spelling mistakes......even though its probably on purpose......it is a bit annoying.
True...but some people regard it as slang and that's probably why ALOT of people voted against it...I just used it as an example to distinguish the two...or did i just confuse you ;D

*noor
05-20-2006, 01:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz
True...but some people regard it as slang and that's probably why ALOT of people voted against it...I just used it as an example to distinguish the two...or did i just confuse you ;D
i didn't get confused.........i know what slang is and it doesn't sound right when its read..........if somebody speaks slang its usually not so bad because almost everyone speaks slang even if they don't realize it.

SirZubair
05-20-2006, 01:20 AM
against it.

*charisma*
05-20-2006, 02:16 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Theres a lot of bad things about slang:

1) Wastes time for the hundreds or even thousands and millions of people that will attempt to read that post.

2) Wastes time for the person who is kind enough to translate it

3) Wastes time for the Mods/Admins who have to give out the warning and make sure you dont do it again

4) Religion wise, it shouldn't be done as we are supposed to increase our knowledge, speak with wisdom, and spread the word of Islam, if no one understand your post, how are you to do that??

5) Even if you are a child, you will grow up, and it is best to stop bad habits from becoming addictions or "issues" that you will have a hard time to control inshallah.

6) The upper teenagers and 20 year olds or older sound soo childish, seriously guys, you do, and that is sadddd.

7) It's annoying, especially when you are quoting the quran, ahadith or poems, seems disrespectful in a way to those types of scriptures. Allahu A'lem

8) It's difficult to take someone seriously when they type in that manner.

subhanallah, do we need any more reasons??

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

SirZubair
05-20-2006, 02:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

subhanallah, do we need any more reasons??
I dun fink sew .. ;D

*Hana*
05-20-2006, 05:18 AM
Salam Alaikum:

Ohhh, this text speak is a pet peeve of mine. :rant: I can't stand it. I won't waste a second trying to read it and it's a shame because the writers could have some valid and interesting points, but I see that text speak and I immediately shudder and skip over it. lol Sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion, but it really makes me crazy. lol

It must be incredibly frustrating to try to read for those that don't have english as a first language. As a native english speaker, I can't be bothered to try to decipher it.

Ok, that's my rant and opinion. :okay:

Wasalam,
Hana

Woodrow
05-20-2006, 05:19 AM
Slang is the begining of how a language developes. It is inevitable, as connontations for words will change based on experience and/or exposure. What is slang today, becomes coloquial speech tomorrow, non-standard in a few days the is soon informal. Before you know it, today's slang is considered the standard formal language.

Do I mind slang? Yes I do. But, only because I know it is a sign I don't get out as often as I used to.

Sister_6038
05-20-2006, 10:03 AM
erm erm

Sister_6038
05-20-2006, 10:13 AM
well as an oldie i dont really like slang of today....its all 'standard' and 'braap'...ive still to understand what 'braap' is erm erm yes

Sister_6038
05-20-2006, 10:16 AM
ok but what is 'brap' thats the question i pose...is it like you know a erm erm ive forgotten no i remember is it onamatopoeia or however it is that you spell it!! anyways must go library (my home) awaits me :w:

Qurratul Ayn
05-20-2006, 11:01 AM
:salamext:

Colloquialism, in other words it is called slang, is horrendous! It is absolutely useless, it makes one sound like a commoner. I shall say no more. Or write no more, in this case.

Ignore the top paragraph, slang is OK, I usually speak it with my younger Brothers and Sister. But at school, I prefer to speak normally, not too formal and not informal, in other words, not slang and not posh. :giggling:

Qurratul Ayn

afriend2
05-20-2006, 11:17 AM
salaam,

i dont mind it when people slang a little...but it can be confusing to read, especially paragraphs full of it!!!:confused: :hmm:

and sis Gangsta4lyf :)....im not posh... :p

wassalam :peace:

*KB*
05-20-2006, 11:27 AM
seein as i am frm the Black country area we automatically spreak slang 2wards bros and sis's in london manchester etc. so u know anywayz i lyk speakin slang its cool
peace out!
*KB*
:rose:
:coolious:

Qurratul Ayn
05-20-2006, 11:33 AM

Errr.... :? Is "sik", the good way or the negative way e.g. vomiting?

My Brothers and Sisters always use that word for good comments and compliments but I always ahve to ask is it good way or not? Like vomiting. :okay:

I know, weird but I can't seem to get my head around slang, well, most of the time though I do undertand it, well sometimes! :giggling:

Qurratul Ayn

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Wohhhhhhh....I dont mind 'slang' ...to me its just a form of abbreviating your words ...However reading through this and on other threads i see its very much dspised...To be on the safe side i reccommend everyone to just converse in standard english dialect...
1) Saves you from the arguments
2) Dont have to explain what your words mean
3)...I get back to you on that one...
So to save everyone the hassle i think everyone should communicate in such a manner which is best for themselves and fellow citizens on board InshAllah...Peace be with you all fellow beings of this Kingdom x

Sunflower
05-20-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't mind it when people use some word as slang like 2 and u. bt wen peepz strt chattin lyk dis n dey tink itz kk It's NOT It takes me AGES to understand and I just don't see whats wrong with using plain old standard english.

Kittygyal
05-20-2006, 12:34 PM
salam.
well i use alot of slang when i talk but on the froum it doesn't really matter cause if thats the way you wana write it then go ahead but then again ''some'' people do struggle to read it but you always need to think theres ''slang'' which is really bad and that can lead to influence,but from my opinion i don't mind cause i use it alot when i speak and also i can understand so it's all good :)
w.salam

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 12:37 PM
I dun fink ders nefn rong wit chatin lyk dis buh das ma opinion buh 4 de benefi of ova users i tink ya'll need 2 cht dwn geme...Safe me out WalaykumAsalaam x

muzna
05-20-2006, 12:40 PM
i dont mind slang..but when everything is in the abbreviated form, as how most people type in text messages, takes me a long time to figure out what is being said

Starseeker
05-20-2006, 12:42 PM
In my opinion, I think that it is okay when you speak slang because it's easier to undersatnd then when you write slang, Which in some instances is virually impossible to read. Occasionally when I am speaking I do throw in the odd one or two slang words (I live in North London It's only natural that I speak slang!)

I remember this phase that a bunch of us went through a couple of years back everine was talking so much slang and then somehow the language backslang got invented, I don't know how that happened but I know I will certainly never talk like that again!

czgibson
05-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Greetings,

I think we need to get clear on what we're talking about here. There's a difference between slang and text-speak. Slang is just different vocabulary choices, but usually spelled correctly. For example: "I'm totally chuffed, man". That's not a problem at all, and is very easy to understand, provided you know the vocab.

Text-speak may or may not consist of slang words, but hardly any of the words will be spelled correctly. This is much more difficult for most people to understand, and for that reason is not allowed on the forum.

Peace

Kittygyal
05-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Greetings,

I think we need to get clear on what we're talking about here. There's a difference between slang and text-speak. Slang is just different vocabulary choices, but usually spelled correctly. For example: "I'm totally chuffed, man". That's not a problem at all, and is very easy to understand, provided you know the vocab.

Text-speak may or may not consist of slang words, but hardly any of the words will be spelled correctly. This is much more difficult for most people to understand, and for that reason is not allowed on the forum.

Peace

greetings Czgibson.
i really agree with you ''RESPECT'' also i want to say i have said in me previous post ''slang'' can lead to influence and text is totally different cause you shorten the words whereas 'slang'' can be use which have no respect cause the way you speak
peace.

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm sure everyone entering this forum is quite capable of comprehending words just fine...sure they dont need no advice telling them to visit www.dictionary.com...if they do need help they got their tutors and peers for that InshAllah...
Regarding Slang ...you got to make the line between slang and the abbreviating of words...
Slang = yo i gets ya dat wos siikkk...heavi ting u jus poste der
Abbreviating = yeh i get ya dat was cool, gd fing u jus posted der
Get the difference?
Ah well my views entirley InshAllah to save everyone from the hassle i suggest all slang/abreviating users think twice inshAllah and for all the other users dont abbreviate their words to much and refrain from interacting using slang JazakAllah Khair and Peace out x

^ As posted on the other thread complaining about this...shouldnt the threads be merged? Just a suggestion Peace x

ISDhillon
05-20-2006, 01:01 PM
I dont think people should use text speech either I would have thought just writing simples sentences would be easier

SirZubair
05-20-2006, 01:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by x Maz x
[B]I'm sure everyone entering this forum is quite capable of comprehended words just fine...sure they dont need no advice telling them to visit www.dictionary.com...
looool,...after reading some of the posts on this forum,i felt like it was my duty as a humanbeing to provide people with that link ..

Ghazi
05-20-2006, 01:18 PM

efsdngrw.jg.werhahfk.ejdjwkfw;ofgweouegfvgbwfh;weh f;lwehff;lewehfl;wefhiwfh;owefhoorugh;roegisahrf;d ;ghezrlfkhg;eos.

Check my new Slang out LOL

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 01:20 PM
I think its best left to their tutors dont you?...Erm and personally if this is a boycott of text/slang/abbreviated speach then i recommend you refrain from the term 'lol' instead right LAUGH OUT LOUD...as that in itself is an abbreviation right? ;) Peace x

Kittygyal
05-20-2006, 01:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

efsdngrw.jg.werhahfk.ejdjwkfw;ofgweouegfvgbwfh;weh f;lwehff;lewehfl;wefhiwfh;owefhoorugh;roegisahrf;d ;ghezrlfkhg;eos.

Check my new Slang out LOL
salam.
now bro thats the new classic slang and the last ;D
w.salam

SirZubair
05-20-2006, 01:35 PM
I think its best left to their tutors dont you?...Erm and personally if this is a boycott of text/slang/abbreviated speach then i recommend you refrain from the term 'lol' instead right LAUGH OUT LOUD...as that in itself is an abbreviation right? ;) Peace x
I never said anything about boycotting abbreviated speach. :)

Im against words such as 'lyk' 'syt' 'kewl' 'wikid',there is nothing wrong with 'lol',Unless the Mods say there is,then i'll quit that ;) but up until then,i will keep recommending www.dictionary.com to all the members that are having a hard time spelling simple words..

..and as for 'their tutors',what if some members done have tutors? :?

czgibson
05-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Greetings,
Regarding Slang ...you got to make the line between slang and the abbreviating of words...
Slang = yo i gets ya dat wos siikkk...heavi ting u jus poste der
Abbreviating = yeh i get ya dat was cool, gd fing u jus posted der
Get the difference?
I can't see much of a difference between those two, I must admit. You've shortened words in both examples ('dat', 'u jus', 'der'), so they would both be unacceptable on the forum. One difference I can see is that you've included slang vocabulary ('siikkk' and 'heavi') in the slang but not with the abbreviated example.

Can't we just use English?

Peace

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 04:06 PM
I never said anything about boycotting abbreviated speach.
Phew cause thats where i thought this conversation was heading too...

Im against words such as 'lyk' 'syt' 'kewl' 'wikid',there is nothing wrong with 'lol',Unless the Mods say there is,then i'll quit that but up until then,i will keep recommending www.dictionary.com to all the members that are having a hard time spelling simple words..
Again i think i need to emphasise, I am quite sure members are quite capable of comprehending words and simple sentences and dont need you to keep pasting that link, if worse comes to worse thats why they invented search engines [google for example]....they see it as abreviating or shortening of words to save time so respect to them *thumbs up*

..and as for 'their tutors',what if some members done have tutors?
Parents? Peers?

I can't see much of a difference between those two, I must admit. You've shortened words in both examples ('dat', 'u jus', 'der'), so they would both be unacceptable on the forum. One difference I can see is that you've included slang vocabulary ('siikkk' and 'heavi') in the slang but not with the abbreviated example.

Can't we just use English?

Laugh out loud, i was trying to make a point but never mind, you got what me saying though...trying to ellaborate from a post you made but never mind, you get me though yes?...
I think this is a whole topic based on whether we should use slang ...so your last question still remains unaswered unless someone can make a conclusion :) Peace x

BlissfullyJaded
05-20-2006, 04:48 PM

I kinda wonder how hard it must be to write a essay in English for some... I mean "normal" English.

Anyhow, I really find it annoying when a whole post is in txt speak. Sis *charisma* summed up all my feelings on it. :thumbs_up

786rani
05-20-2006, 04:49 PM
i dnt mind a bit of slang but smtimes u cannot read it and that's annoyin
rani

SirZubair
05-20-2006, 06:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
Offopic : Quit those winkings... when replying to a post by the opp gender.
OOpsie daisy .. :X My bad.

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Boycott Smilies and abbreviated speach! Hear Hear!! Peace x

Kittygyal
05-20-2006, 06:42 PM
salam.
with all respect i was just reading cacha jalibee's post in the maths post and believe me i didn't even understand what he said cause he was using numbers and then letters woow thats just out of order, people must think about others and also leave the habit cause believe me if i can do ever one can do it :p
also most people on this thread use slang as if there texting LOLz
w.salam

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Chacha_saab chat like that cause he fink he born in de ghetto ends das y lol...Yeh u no wa i mean Muhahahaha...nah Jokes back to the sophisticated manner of conversing...InshAllah for the benefit of fellow beings DO NOT use abbreviated/slang speach...Peace and blessings x

chacha_jalebi
05-20-2006, 06:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
salam.
with all respect i was just reading cacha jalibee's post in the maths post and believe me i didn't even understand what he said cause he was using numbers and then letters woow thats just out of order, people must think about others and also leave the habit cause believe me if i can do ever one can do it :p
also most people on this thread use slang as if there texting LOLz
w.salam
:ooh: x 999999999999999 lol

k inshallah lol if it helps i will use propa propa posh english startin from ... Now:p
but really i dont think why some people should have to change to suit others :p

c can do it but dont lik it :p

but inshallah from now on going to post in a posh way :)

Kittygyal
05-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Chacha_saab chat like that cause he fink he born in de ghetto ends das y lol...Yeh u no wa i mean Muhahahaha...nah Jokes back to the sophisticated manner of conversing...InshAllah for the benefit of fellow beings DO NOT use abbreviated/slang speach...Peace and blessings x

salam.
well sis it can be annoying at times with te mixture of numbers and then letters :uhwhat anwho thus doesn't really matter cause some people think there texting! people stop the habbit please!
makes it easier for others to understand and read instead of taking 20minutes to read on work :grumbling
w.salam

Hijaabi22
05-20-2006, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
salaam

NOPE

chacha_jalebi
05-20-2006, 06:49 PM

laugh out loud @ ghetto ends, you know the flex! jolly well i will start typing like this from now on :)

Kittygyal
05-20-2006, 06:50 PM
:ooh: x 999999999999999 lol

k inshallah lol if it helps i will use propa propa posh english startin from ... Now:p
but really i dont think why some people should have to change to suit others :p

c can do it but dont lik it :p

but inshallah from now on going to post in a posh way :)

salam.
bro with all me respect bro all i am saying this because easier for others and also it's better cause most people think your shildish or immature ;D
anyway bro just remember we don't want a mixture nor we want to take 20minutes per reading one word :okay:
w.salam

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm sure with a keyboard in front of them they have no confusion thinking they are textting *eyes rolly*....Just a way of shortening it to save time...ah well...Peace x

mas
05-20-2006, 06:51 PM
well im with slang cuz someppl like me was raised like that and many other ppl too. peace

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 06:51 PM
MashAllah...its such a jolly day that you have decided to adopt this lingo me ol' codger...God bless..Peace x

Kittygyal
05-20-2006, 06:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mas
well im with slang cuz someppl like me was raised like that and many other ppl too. peace
salam.
well MR Mass, it's hard for people to understand
w.salam

chacha_jalebi
05-20-2006, 06:53 PM
my dearest brother i do sympathise with your feelings, as i have a similiar situation, but we have to follow the rules of society who discriminate againist slangers like you & my self, just follow the rules my old chump :okay:

chacha_jalebi
05-20-2006, 06:55 PM
MashAllah...its such a jolly day that you have decided to adopt this lingo me ol' codger...God bless..Peace x
lingo?

corr blimeyy

dont you mean language :p

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Yes my fellow citizen of the Kingdom we speak the truth and nothing but the truth, refrain from this abusrd vile manner of conversing, its highly disrespectful Peace x

mas
05-20-2006, 06:56 PM
salam.
well MR Mass, it's hard for people to understand
w.salam
well it anit my fualt. for example if someone from uk came and talked to me . and i couldnt understand or as someppl say i dont like it . is it my right to tell them to change their way in talking just to make me happy ...

chacha_jalebi
05-20-2006, 06:57 PM
i will my sister in islam & humanity

farewell slang thou shall be missed :p

is everyone happy now :p

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 06:57 PM
I daresay what a silly ol fish i am...Do excuse my stupididy i did sincereley intend to address it as this 'standard English dialect'...Again my deep-hearted apologies Peace x

mas
05-20-2006, 06:58 PM
my dearest brother i do sympathise with your feelings, as i have a similiar situation, but we have to follow the rules of society who discriminate againist slangers like you & my self, just follow the rules my old chump :okay:
to me i think ppl should accept how others are .peace

chacha_jalebi
05-20-2006, 06:59 PM
well it anit my fualt. for example if someone from uk came and talked to me . and i couldnt understand or as someppl say i dont like it . is it my right to tell them to change their way in talking just to make me happy ...
agreed brother thats what i said approximately 5 mins 45 secs ago :p

just try to post "Properly" :heated:

chacha_jalebi
05-20-2006, 06:59 PM
to me i think ppl should accept how others are .peace
agreed i know bro lol im reppin u :)

for d posh crew dats sayin .....

i agree with your statement brother, i share the same opinions, therefore i will be giving you well earned reputation points

Kittygyal
05-20-2006, 07:00 PM

salam.
bro i understand as me being a revert it's hard but am not going to lie when i speak everyone says to me i speak like an American but i do use slang too as for me when i talk to an asian it's like there accent different and at times i use slang alot and also it's disrespectful though bro,ok on one point where i live in the UK theres millions of people out there who speak with slang and you understand them where as when your typing its hard to understand.
i hope you understand what i mean bro, it's all good for the people around us:)
w.salam

mas
05-20-2006, 07:02 PM
i was just replying to that sis my bad ......

Kittygyal
05-20-2006, 07:03 PM
i was just replying to that sis my bad ......
salam.
repluing to what bro:rollseyes
w.salam

mas
05-20-2006, 07:04 PM
i got ya . but we shouldnt change our self .this how i see it . anyways peace

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 07:04 PM
I dont think slang is got to do with etnicity its all about where you been bought up get me, You may be from and asian or from an area which is prodminantly English but you can easily adopt such a manner of interacting, its like something natural...Like for me I'm a lass of a Pakistani origin and i use slang so I dont think its got to do with your roots more over the environment that you reside by :) Peace x

mas
05-20-2006, 07:05 PM
to ur reply
thats it
peace

Kittygyal
05-20-2006, 07:08 PM
i got ya . but we shouldnt change our self .this how i see it . anyways peace
salam.
with all respect bro all i am going to say to you it's up to you and and if you don't wana change your self then don't cause thats how you see it :)
anyway on one point am going to say how would you feel if someone replied by using slang and it took you along time to read it and understand??
i hope you undrestand but am out of this thread before i change my mind to use slang and don't want to join da crew with the slangies ;D
w.salam

life
05-21-2006, 12:46 PM
dont like using slang

Inshallah
05-22-2006, 06:15 AM
I can't stand british accent goddddddd how many jokes do we make about it here in north america haha british slang must be horrible. I hate slang it's so immature but i guess it's all good when your young.

x Maz x
05-22-2006, 12:34 PM
^ Hey i know 20 year olds adopting this language, Slang is not based around how old you are...
It depends on the area you reside by :) Peace & Blessings x

S_87
05-22-2006, 01:09 PM

a few words like *u* instead of *you* is fine but a proper sentence with all the $£ is annoying

05-22-2006, 01:21 PM
I don't really like slang much coz i don't understand it properly.And it slows down ur reading.

czgibson
05-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Inshallah
I can't stand british accent
Which British accent do you object to? There are many.

Peace

Kittygyal
05-22-2006, 04:16 PM
salam.
well slang is not bad RESPECT!

Muezzin
05-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Greetings,

Which British accent do you object to? There are many.

Peace
Must be Brummies. If there's one way to sound thick, despite having an intellect to rival Stephen Hawking, it's talking like a Brummie.

And don't come crying to me, dear Brummie members, you know I love you really.

05-22-2006, 04:43 PM
wow, more ppl mind slang then not. that's interesting. i don't mind it. it's cool with me :)

Muezzin
05-22-2006, 04:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 08101990
wow, more ppl mind slang then not. that's interesting. i don't mind it. it's cool with me :)
Izziiiit? Safe man innit. I'm chillin at yard :p

Kittygyal
05-22-2006, 04:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Izziiiit? Safe man innit. I'm chillin at yard :p

yo kp it cl jus chl n flx bt tk it esy ;D

Muezzin
05-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Fer-real?

:p

On-topic, I don't mind when people talk in slang. I can understand it since I grew up around schoolboys who talk like that to this day. I don't like using slang much though, except for comic effect.

I detest text-speak with a vengeance though. That's another way to look stupid, even though I know for a fact that the person texting me is very bright indeed.

Mawaddah
05-22-2006, 04:54 PM
I ABHOR Text Speech
It's Stupid
It gives me a headache trying to decipher it
It makes the person looks like a nitwit
I especially hate it when ADULTS use it
Cant you even SPELL???

^^^
Those are a few of the thoughts that go thru my head when I see text type writing.

As for like speaking slang, then I dont mind that, actually I even wish that I could speak it but I can't lol....so I just like to listen to people talk it

Panatella
05-22-2006, 05:38 PM
I could not be bothered to read the text-speak and slang filled posts. I ignore them. Too much effort is required to read them.

Kittygyal
05-22-2006, 05:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Panatella
I could not be bothered to read the text-speak and slang filled posts. I ignore them. Too much effort is required to read them.

salam.
bro very mature :happy:
this lingo needs to stop cause it's hard for others to read and understand and also it shows a impression of the person whom wrote it is just immature, childish :p
w.salam

x Maz x
05-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Yo, ya'Ll n&#163;&#163;D, tA sToP H8'N N StArT APpReCiAiTIN'...'eNT 4 Ya bUt tIs CoMmON AmOnG$T yooth geme Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!

N btw Muezzin breda dun spoil r lingo , u wearin ot de beuaty

peace n stay ble$$d x

fantaxxy_moon
05-22-2006, 06:51 PM
don't like it

MusLiM 4 LiFe
05-22-2006, 07:54 PM
i use slang most of da tym.. i kinda used 2 it nw..

do u fink slang iz gonna take over?

mas
05-22-2006, 10:16 PM
ay ppl chillllll its not that bad . god yall need to viste the usa so yall could understand it . and im free to teach but yall need to pay.. (justKIddin)

MRR
05-23-2006, 04:08 AM
It can impede your ability to function and get ahead in the workforce.

Muezzin
05-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Yo, ya'Ll n££D, tA sToP H8'N N StArT APpReCiAiTIN'...'eNT 4 Ya bUt tIs CoMmON AmOnG$T yooth geme Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!

peace n stay ble$$d x
Remember what I was saying about text speak making even the most intelligent people look dumber than a box of rocks? :p

Hijaabi22
05-23-2006, 09:22 AM
^^ Hahahahahahaha Sooooooooooo Tru!!!

Helena
05-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Yo, ya'Ll n££D, tA sToP H8'N N StArT APpReCiAiTIN'...'eNT 4 Ya bUt tIs CoMmON AmOnG$T yooth geme Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!

peace n stay ble$$d x

i think i can translates this....lets give it a ago....

you all need to stop hating and start appreciating.....aint for u but its common in the youth...get me..... wot dse brap mean?:?

by the way brother muezzin dont spoil our lingo....u wearin ot de beauty' erm.......dnt get it..

did i ruin anything?

Man slang...neva used it....but thru text and staff...thats it....

wslmz

Helena
05-23-2006, 09:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Between? I'm sure it is By the way. :)

am sure btw means between..let me ask someone....

:w:

Helena
05-23-2006, 09:43 AM

yeah..it is by the way...ya allah....

x Maz x
05-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Lolllllllllllllllllllll Yeh ya did Pshhhhhh....serious if it aint for u den simple dun use it geme...Adopt this formal manner of conversing and show your appreication for the beuatiful English standard dialect but dont go complaining, cause the slang users will never learn...:)
Laugh out loud Muezzin, Luvin' your lingo yaar [mate]
Braap erm erm erm Its like onomatoepia? lol.. erm erm its like wow [dont have a literal meaning behind it jus an expression]
Peace and stay blessed x

Helena
05-23-2006, 01:02 PM

serioulsy sis there isnt a meaning of brap.......i wana knw wt it means thou?

x Maz x
05-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Googlesearch it if you soo desperate to know lol..
Nah serious again its just an expression, commonly used by youth...Like sayin Big up << aint a word again an expression/figure of speach...
Peace x

chacha_jalebi
05-23-2006, 01:09 PM
brap = us lot letting out our happyness lol

like a way of saying big up or when you really happy you just go brap brap!! :)

Helena
05-23-2006, 01:09 PM

shukran for the meaning....am not that desperate..lol....am jus not familiar wid this new language...slang.....

i get wot u mean sis.....

Helena
05-23-2006, 01:11 PM
brap = us lot letting out our happyness lol

like a way of saying big up or when you really happy you just go brap brap!! :)

soo u jus goo brap brap wen something good happens...imagine me saying brap..brap..lol...lol.....lol....

i find it funny......lol

IceQueen~
05-23-2006, 01:12 PM
i dunno-if just messing around, but otherwise i prefer standard english.

chacha_jalebi
05-23-2006, 01:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by helena

soo u jus goo brap brap wen something good happens...imagine me saying brap..brap..lol...lol.....lol....

i find it funny......lol

lol it is funny, its a happy word

thats it sis brap brap all d way :happy:

x Maz x
05-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Or alternativly Blup blup, blaaap blaap or brap brap :) Take ur pic Peace x

Helena
05-23-2006, 01:17 PM
lol it is funny, its a happy word

thats it sis brap brap all d way :happy:

brap..brap..lol....wallahi..its a weird wrd.....hilarious...

x Maz x
05-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Ayt ya'll wearing it out now...quit it ...I SAID QUIT IT!! lol...
Just say 'Wicked' >> traditional and good for oldies lol nah jokes Peace x

IceQueen~
05-23-2006, 01:27 PM
I think it depends on the context- where you are/who you're talking with.
with friends all kidding around, it's OK but obviously if ur going to an interview you want ur language to be...

x Maz x
05-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Yup true say, like for instance today in English exam i used slang :) lol nah messing I had to make sure my English was fuss class tip taap :D...but yeh aggreeed lol Peace x

amirah_87
05-23-2006, 01:36 PM
i fink dat slang is no' a nice way ta speak .... wo'eva 'appened to dat classic/posh stuff !!!......ey ?????
doncha fink every1 shud speak like da queen .....innit !!!!!!!

x Maz x
05-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Yes my fair lass, Indeed i do, Verily thy is a female of a higher intellect...I daresay ol' chap i do aggree with such a decision and to demand everyone adopt such a manner of communicating via the net Peace and blessings x

Z
05-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Salaam.

What? No one cares about slang, I don't mind it. It's the txt speak that really grinds my gears. All members who use txt speak should be banned.

broth3r Ali
05-23-2006, 01:49 PM
salaam

salaam

Personally, i do not mind it!! makes me laff << upps i mean 'laugh'! ;D

:brother:

Z
05-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Ali, that is txt speak, not slang my friend.

x Maz x
05-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Wag1, waz slang den eh eh eh...whatz gwanin wit u n dis ting 4 slang? y ya h8n 4 ...lol Peace x

Z
05-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Was you dropped on your head when you was small.

x Maz x
05-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Yeh n kikd in de head by a horse :'( Mn dat hurt...Peace n stay ble$$d x

Muezzin
05-23-2006, 03:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Was you dropped on your head when you was small.
I now have a mental image of you as Dot Cotton.

Such are the evils of bad grammar.

And crappy soaps.

Silver Pearl
05-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Alright people are confused: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SLANG N TXT LANGUAGE

Txt Language: 2day we woz singin wit m m8z bt den da mycrofone gt muf’d up n all. (Today we were singing with my friends but then the microphone got muffled and all)

Slang: seen ya’ll cruise wit me down lakes ride n u betta not screw wit me coz the food der is just bare sizzling and roast. (Ok, you guys will be riding with me to lakes ride and you better not refuse because the food there is really nice and tasty).

There is a big difference between the two. Slang is alright if you can understand it, depending on what part you live in, slang differs and so can be hard to understand. Txt Language can be annoying….but it doesn’t bother me.

:wasalamex

Kittygyal
05-23-2006, 03:17 PM
salam.
now seriously this thread should be closed it's getting abit boring and we ALL get the point :rollseyes

x Maz x
05-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Nah blud let people have their say, everyone is entitled to their opnion, if you not like just dont enter get me :) Peace...Keep em coming InshAllah Stay blessed x

Maarya
05-23-2006, 05:01 PM
i don't mind it, but sumtimes people make up words so u can't understand what it is that they're tryin 2 say.

Kittygyal
05-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Nah blud let people have their say, everyone is entitled to their opnion, if you not like just dont enter get me :) Peace...Keep em coming InshAllah Stay blessed x

salam.
well sis we all get the point and it's just waste of time having this thread up and anyway i was only saying it! and percisly i was waiting for the mods to reply! get mi!

Muezzin
05-23-2006, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maarya
i don't mind it, but sumtimes people make up words so u can't understand what it is that they're tryin 2 say.
But that's what slang is. :p

Qurratul Ayn
05-24-2006, 04:10 PM

Yo, watz up, my peepz? How'z it hangin'? Hope u all r enjoyin' diz thred tho I don't c eni point ov it at all!

OK, me having a go at colloquialism is very strange! I prefer to write and speak normally so people of all types of speaking can undertsand me!

Kudhaa hafiz
Qurratul Ayn

x Maz x
05-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Yup hearing you out...but what you find normal contradicts the people who speak it, they see it as speaking 'normally'...Peace x

Mawaddah
05-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Goodness why doesn't this thread just get closed? Everyone basically gets the hang of what it's about dont they? Although there are some people who are confused between whats text and slang language, it isn't going to kill anyone

Mods pleassssse close this extremely annoying thread

Kittygyal
05-24-2006, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Goodness why doesn't this thread just get closed? Everyone basically gets the hang of what it's about dont they? Although there are some people who are confused between whats text and slang language, it isn't going to kill anyone

Mods pleassssse close this extremely annoying thread

salam.
thats what i have said before but aparently the mods didn't close it! THERES NO USE OF THIS THREAD!!

Sister_6038
05-24-2006, 07:53 PM
ok anyone who says wagwan to me....i will not like....it took me FIVE months to figure out what my friend was saying to me at the beginning of our convos....i thought it was baby talk....weirdo

Starseeker
05-24-2006, 07:54 PM
salam.
thats what i have said before but aparently the mods didn't close it! THERES NO USE OF THIS THREAD!!
If you feel as though there is no use of this thread then don't come on it!

Sister_6038
05-24-2006, 07:55 PM
salam.
i think its important to understand the language of today and how it has changed over the years...slang is a key part of society today...everyone uses it....and thats EVERYONE!!

x Maz x
05-24-2006, 08:15 PM
For all those who dont like this thread its pretty simple, really it is ...press the [x] located at the top of the window, really dont make it hard for yourself...do it...really i insist :)...
You guys going on ...its a poll get me, if you not like exit :)
InshAllah keep the views coming Respect x

Sister_6038
05-24-2006, 08:17 PM
my fav slang...'yeh mon!' although me tinks its actually patwa....

Muezzin
05-25-2006, 10:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hatshepsut
my fav slang...'yeh mon!' although me tinks its actually patwa....
Ain't that like, Rasta-slang? 'I and I got a bone to pick with you. J'ah.'

(note: apologies to any Rastafarians who are offended by this. Dreads rule.)

amirah_87
05-25-2006, 01:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarah999
If you feel as though there is no use of this thread then don't come on it!
naaaah.... mawaddah i won't take that !!!!:okay: :okay:

Mawaddah
05-25-2006, 01:40 PM
^ you gangin up against me too Princess? :offended: lol

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Too much text speak gives me a terrible head ache. A little bit I don't mind.

amirah_87
05-25-2006, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
^ you gangin up against me too Princess? :offended: lol
NO Maw' ! i'm tellin' u to back yourself up!!

x Maz x
05-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Everyone got their own way of talking, thats like saying I dont like your paki accent, abits alright but you sound like a freshy, learn to chat like I am or dont speak at all...Everyone got their own lingo, so ya'll hurting their feelins...Peace x

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-25-2006, 03:07 PM
No... it's just it gets a bit hard to read after a while.
I didn't mean to upset anyone.

x Maz x
05-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Lol, nah i dont think anyone took it to heart, I was just being abit melo-dramatic lol...InshAllah no-one caused anyone and harm or offence, the only thing i dont like is when people imply your illiterate ...gets abit grrrr cause all ya doing is chattin' in your lingo which you find 'normal' and ya get criticsed for it...but everyone got their own mentality and way of thinking and Respect 4 that WalaykumAsalaam x

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-25-2006, 03:19 PM
yeh rezpect man... das defo hevii 2 da max y'all!;) hehe RESPECT X

x Maz x
05-25-2006, 03:23 PM
*Eyes rolly*...Ookey then lol...sfe das al gdgd nuf lvn' n respect goin ot 2 ya 2 stay ble$$&#163;d x

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-25-2006, 03:25 PM
whoop whoop... all yo hommies out der giv ma ukht maz da rezpect she dezerv y'all... she fly hunny wit a....er.... buni?
REZPECT X

x Maz x
05-25-2006, 03:33 PM
LOL...ya gime pier jkz swer dwn buh ting is woodna use de lingo 2 much...wearing ot de beuaty ;) Peace n stay blesed x

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-25-2006, 03:34 PM
See... i didn't understand half of that lol. But yeah... whoop whoop!

x Maz x
05-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Translated: You give me jokes, I swear, But i wouldnt use too much of the dialect cause your wearing out its beaty *wink*..Peace and stay blessed x

Kittygyal
05-25-2006, 03:43 PM
salam.
now i think sis MAZ has got the hang of speaking slang now :p
come on i though this was to stop, wasn't it:rollseyes
w.salam

x Maz x
05-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Muhahahahahaha was jus flexin' ma lingo hehe...as did me homie Mu'minah ;)...Respect x

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-25-2006, 03:50 PM
yeh man rezpekt 2 da maz y'all....

Kittygyal
05-25-2006, 03:51 PM
salam.
ok sista's chill beofre you get a warn by the mods by free posting!
w.salam

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-25-2006, 03:52 PM
r u speakiing from personal experience?:p
But yeh ur right. I'ma stop now. Last time promise.

shanu
05-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Slang?
Slang??
Salng???????????

x Maz x
05-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Yh ya herd me SLANG!! Big up all those hu cht in dis lingo Braaaaaap! Peace x

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Lol i love it when ppl say braaaap.... what does that mean anyway?

x Maz x
05-25-2006, 04:00 PM
*Eyes rolly*...we been throught this lol...go back and check the posts ;) Peace x

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-25-2006, 04:02 PM
allow that... just tell me!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.