/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Should we Pay Taxes or Make Hijra?

Ghazi
05-21-2006, 03:08 AM
:sl:

This question came to me after fajar, the taxes that we pay is were the goverment gets it's money from for funding for the war in iraq, so arn't we muslim contributing to the munitions being brought by Britain and should we help them with the war or should we make hijra?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
05-21-2006, 03:26 AM
I will answer your question with a question. If you rent a house are you contributing to the landlord's alcohol problem if he uses the rent money to buy liquor? Would you be justified in refusing to pay rent in order to keep from supporting his use of alcohol?

Same goes with the taxes, citizens are obligated to pay the taxes of the country they live in, it is our rent for the services provided by the country, the individual has no direct responsibility over what is done with the money.

We have sevearl choices, protest against the use of the taxes in a peacefull manner, but pay the taxes that are owed. Protest the war effort, in a peacefull manner. Be public about your dissatisfaction over what the tax money is used for, but pay them.

Ghazi
05-21-2006, 12:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I will answer your question with a question. If you rent a house are you contributing to the landlord's alcohol problem if he uses the rent money to buy liquor? Would you be justified in refusing to pay rent in order to keep from supporting his use of alcohol?

Same goes with the taxes, citizens are obligated to pay the taxes of the country they live in, it is our rent for the services provided by the country, the individual has no direct responsibility over what is done with the money.

We have sevearl choices, protest against the use of the taxes in a peacefull manner, but pay the taxes that are owed. Protest the war effort, in a peacefull manner. Be public about your dissatisfaction over what the tax money is used for, but pay them.

But the thing is this is where the money to buy munitions ect, is coming from and in turn they're killing our brothers and sisters.

Woodrow
05-21-2006, 03:57 PM
That is true. However I think it is a bit of a paradox. It shows immediate opposition, but in the overall picture does no good. Most likely the tax money you would not pay, would result in reduced sociol services and not affect the munitions. The government would stop medical research before it stops buying munitions.

Also keep in mind that the taxes are used for all purposes the majority are for social services such as health care, education, welfare, and many other things. You have no way of knowing if your individual money will buy bullets or go for cancer research. Also remember while the immediate income tax is the most noticible, in most countries it is the smallest source of tax income. We end up paying much more in taxes in such things as the various sales taxes, plus when we buy an item in most case nearly half or more is taxes that the retailer, distributer, and manufactuerer have added into the price as overhead.

Now, it is true that refusal to pay the immediate income tax is the most noticible, it is the least effective. Stop and think if every person stopped and refused to pay the income tax, all that would happen is the government which simply do as it always does and increase debit spending, which is basicaly a loan our descendents will eventually pay.

I think the best protest is to continue to pay the taxes, but organize or join groups that protest the use of tax dollars for war materials. Let it be known that you oppose what is happening, but do it in a manner that can be effective, not one that will only make a short term noise and end up resulting in the cost being carried by future generations.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*Sonya
05-24-2006, 04:31 PM
mashallah really nice topiccc

AbdulHaq
05-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Where would you possibly make Hijrah to, to avoid this problem?

mujahedeen2087
05-26-2006, 03:16 AM
hey do you have to have an arabic name to go on hajj? anyone?

Woodrow
05-26-2006, 03:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mujahedeen2087
hey do you have to have an arabic name to go on hajj? anyone?
I could be wrong, but I don't think a person would have to have an Arabic name. However I am certain it would not be permitted to have a name that would be offensive to any Muslims.

mujahedeen2087
05-26-2006, 03:25 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think a person would have to have an Arabic name. However I am certain it would not be permitted to have a name that would be offensive to any Muslims.
right but i was told that the saudi goverment would not let me enter mekkah unless i have a arabic name to prove i am muslim. why cant i recite some quran or the shahada i think Allah cares more about that then a silly name, but i dont know what do you think?

searchingsoul
05-26-2006, 03:28 AM
That is true. However I think it is a bit of a paradox. It shows immediate opposition, but in the overall picture does no good. Most likely the tax money you would not pay, would result in reduced sociol services and not affect the munitions. The government would stop medical research before it stops buying munitions.

Also keep in mind that the taxes are used for all purposes the majority are for social services such as health care, education, welfare, and many other things. You have no way of knowing if your individual money will buy bullets or go for cancer research.
Good point Woodrow. Taxes are like marriage, you have to take the whole package, not the aspects you like.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.