/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it permissable for a Muslim to Give a Qur'an to a Non-Muslim

Woodrow
05-21-2006, 07:19 AM
I've only been a revert for about a year. Today I got into a debate with my son in law about this today. He has been Muslim since birth and is nearly 50 years old.

He says a Muslim should never give a Qur'an to a non-Muslim. I began reading the Qur'an about 30 years ago as an Academic pursuit. I've had a copy of the Qur'an ever since then. I believe I reverted because of what I read in the Qur'an. I feel it is beneficial for a searcher to have a Qur'an. Yes the Qur'an I have is written only in Arabic, with no English. Although I do have several translations by various translators.

I can find nothing to back up either my own or my son-in-law's views.

Can anybody help?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
F.Y.
05-21-2006, 07:33 AM
I believe it is our duty to give the Quran to a non-muslim if they are willing to read it or are interested in it. I have never heard of not being able to give the Quran to a non-muslim.

How are they supposed to know Islam's teachings if we can't give them a Qur'an?
That's what I think anyway.

Peace

Woodrow
05-21-2006, 07:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by F.Y.
I believe it is our duty to give the Quran to a non-muslim if they are willing to read it or are interested in it. I have never heard of not being able to give the Quran to a non-muslim.

How are they supposed to know Islam's teachings if we can't give them a Qur'an?
That's what I think anyway.

Peace
That is my feeling also, but I can not find anything to back it up. I do not want to do anything wrong. I am planning to give one to a friend who is asking many questions about Islam.

Skillganon
05-21-2006, 02:15 PM
I heard, from some scholar saying it is permissable to give the Quran (of course with a translation) to a non-muslim, but I never heard of any evidence given saying you can't.

Let me to some further research on the matter, but I do strongly believe you can.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
primitivefuture
05-21-2006, 02:20 PM
I suggest you don't do such a thing. The non-Muslim may end up burning the Koran (God forbid).

- Qatada -
05-21-2006, 02:23 PM
:salamext:

I've heard that a non muslim shouldn't touch the qur'an which is in arabic, the same way a muslim shouldn't touch it when they are in a state of impurity. But both can touch a translation of the Qur'an, or the tafsir of the Qur'an.

:sl:

This might be of help, Insha'Allaah:

Question :

I am trying to convert some Christians and "Free thinkers" into Islam and they seem to be interested in knowing what is in the Qur'an. They have both read the Bible and they believe it is Holy, but with contradictions. I, however told them that the Qur'an unlike the Bible has no contradictions in it and that it contains all the information about this World and the hearafter that they need to know. They are however yet to believe.As a method of proving this, I was going to buy them each a copy of the Holy Qur'an translated by Muhammad Asad. They have promised to read it and tell me what they think. Do you think this is a good idea?
Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

A translation of the meanings of the Qur’aan is not considered to be Qur’aan, and it does not have the same status in all aspects. Rather it is like a tafseer (commentary, exegesis) of the Qur’aan in Arabic, which explains the meanings and assists in understanding. On this basis, it is permissible to give the kuffaar a translation of the meanings of the Qur’aan, without the Arabic text, and it is permissible for them to touch a tafseer in Arabic.
(Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 4/133)

On this basis, it is permissible for you to give them this translation. May Allaah help us and you to call people to His way in a good manner. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=10694&dgn=4)
:w:
source: http://www.islamicboard.com/139113-post14.html

Are we allowed to touch the Quraan without wudhu?

Giving the Qur'an to Non-Muslims

Allaahu ta'aala a'lam.
(Allaah Almighty knows best.)

:wasalamex

primitivefuture
05-21-2006, 02:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
...OR end up reverting to islam.
I personally wouldnt take any risks.

Fishman
05-21-2006, 02:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by primitivefuture
I suggest you don't do such a thing. The non-Muslim may end up burning the Koran (God forbid).
That doesn't often happen! Our school doesn't have any Muslim teachers, and in the RE department box is a Quran (I think it's a translation). Non-Muslims who want to read the Quran are generally considerate of our beliefs.

primitivefuture
05-21-2006, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
That doesn't often happen!
I'm sure it happens more often than you think.

H4RUN
05-21-2006, 02:38 PM
thing is it is not permisible to even touch the quran if you are not in a state of wudu......“Do not touch the Qur’an unless you are in a state of purity.” [Related by Imam Malik in his Muwatta, and deemed sound by early and late hadith authorities, such as Imam Nawawi in his Majmu`]
Allahualim

czgibson
05-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Greetings,

Dawah is one of the duties of a Muslim, is it not? Surely giving a non-Muslim a copy of the Qur'an would help in this?

PF, if you were trying to get a kaffir interested in Islam, would you say "I'll tell you all about it, but you can only read the Qur'an once you've converted"?

Peace

primitivefuture
05-21-2006, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
PF, if you were trying to get a kaffir interested in Islam, would you say "I'll tell you all about it, but you can only read the Qur'an once you've converted"?
Idk about that, actually. Depends on the person and if I trust him or not. I would NEVER hand over a Quran to a random non-Muslim.

Fishman
05-21-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm sure it happens more often than you think.
Only really ignorant, sad people would do that, and most people who want to read the Quran are neither of those things. If I was given a Quran to read when I was a non-Muslim (technically I still am one), I would be constantly asking a Muslim what I should do to respect it, and probably do more than neccessary.

chacha_jalebi
05-21-2006, 02:46 PM
we should always try to give dawah & preach to kafirs, because you dont know what might hit them & inshallah they might convert, like anything could catch their attention, because islam is the most butifullest religion!!

*noor
05-21-2006, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I've only been a revert for about a year. Today I got into a debate with my son in law about this today. He has been Muslim since birth and is nearly 50 years old.

He says a Muslim should never give a Qur'an to a non-Muslim. I began reading the Qur'an about 30 years ago as an Academic pursuit. I've had a copy of the Qur'an ever since then. I believe I reverted because of what I read in the Qur'an. I feel it is beneficial for a searcher to have a Qur'an. Yes the Qur'an I have is written only in Arabic, with no English. Although I do have several translations by various translators.

I can find nothing to back up either my own or my son-in-law's views.

Can anybody help?
i heard that a non-Muslim is not allowed to touch the Quran because he/she is impure. giving them a tafsir of the Quran would probably be a better idea because i heard that there is no problem unless you are giving them a mushaf.

Woodrow
05-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Shukran, to all for the excellent replies. I did some checking also. Between your answers what I find is that when giving a non-Muslim a copy of the Qur'an first and foremost is the reason for giving.

It seems that there is quite a bit of leeway if the person is a sincere searcher. Even found a few exceptions as to when a person can touch a Qur'an without doing wudu first.

Well to make a long story short: I am convinced my friend has a sincere desire to learn more about Islam. It does seem that most agree a translation is safe. I am going to give my friend a copy of the Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation.

Here are 2 interesting sites I found while looking for info about this:

http://www.sunnipath.com/Resources/Q...A00000016.aspx

http://www.islamicity.com/dialogue/Q545.HTM

Skillganon
05-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Shukran, to all for the excellent replies. I did some checking also. Between your answers what I find is that when giving a non-Muslim a copy of the Qur'an first and foremost is the reason for giving.

It seems that there is quite a bit of leeway if the person is a sincere searcher. Even found a few exceptions as to when a person can touch a Qur'an without doing wudu first.

Well to make a long story short: I am convinced my friend has a sincere desire to learn more about Islam. It does seem that most agree a translation is safe. I am going to give my friend a copy of the Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation.

Here are 2 interesting sites I found while looking for info about this:
I will not reccomend yusuf Ali's translatio, his commentary might have mistakes, but I don't know which is a better translation. (One of the poblem of translation)

glo
05-21-2006, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
I will not reccomend yusuf Ali's translatio, his commentary might have mistakes, but I don't know which is a better translation. (One of the poblem of translation)
How many translations are there of the Qu'ran into any one language? I assumed that - in contrast to the many Bible versions - there was only ever one. :?

Peace.

Skillganon
05-21-2006, 07:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
How many translations are there of the Qu'ran into any one language? I assumed that - in contrast to the many Bible versions - there was only ever one. :?

Peace.
EDIT: Sorry for the un-clearity of my post. Was typing fast, was in a hurry.

Let's give a, b and c the oldest written bible, and tell them to translate it english, you will note, that they might make some mistake and might make mistake on some commentary, I am sure you are aware of KJV, NKJV, NIV and so and so, and some problem with some of the translation they have. That's why the QURAN is QURAN (in arabic) Translation is just a translation, and we don't call it the QURAN.

SO we have one Quran.

glo
05-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Let's give a, b and c the oldest written bible, and tell them to translate it english, you will note, that they might make some mistake and might make mistake on some commentarr, I am sure you are aware of KJV, NKJV, NIV and so and so, and some problem with some of the problem they have. That's why the QURAN is QURAN (in arabic) Translation is just a translation, and we don't call it the QURAN.

SO we have one Quran.
Interesting. Thank you.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question:
How many translations are there of the [book which is not called the] Qu'ran into any one language?

I am not trying to catch you out, or get into a 'the-pitfalls-of-translation-debate' ... I was just being curious. :rollseyes

Blessings. :)

Woodrow
05-21-2006, 07:59 PM

Fortunatly I have an Ali Translation without commentary. I find his translation to be closer in meaning to the Arabic then that of any other translator. His translations are not literal word for word, but in my opinion he gets the connontation better then other translators. I agree about the commentaries, they are not appropriate for most seekers. I like Pickthall's commentaries, but find his translation to be less complete.

I.e.

Ali
1: 2. Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds;

Pickthall
1: 2. Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds,

Fishman
05-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Interesting. Thank you.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question:
How many translations are there of the [book which is not called the] Qu'ran into any one language?

I am not trying to catch you out, or get into a 'the-pitfalls-of-translation-debate' ... I was just being curious. :rollseyes

Blessings. :)
There are translations into loads of languages, and there are also many different translations in each language.

glo
05-21-2006, 08:10 PM
There are translations into loads of languages, and there are also many different translations in each language.
Thanks, Fishman. Do you know how many, into English for example?

Fishman
05-21-2006, 08:12 PM
I do not know how many, but the most popular in English is probably the Yusuf Ali translation.

HeiGou
05-21-2006, 08:13 PM
People have been translating the Quran into English since before Shakespeare. I doubt anyone could count them.

You may want to go to this site to see a collection of translations on-line including one endorsed by the Saudi government. I suggest Muslims do not go because I have not followed all the links and I cannot promise they are all orthodox,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quran#Translations

I found a partial list at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...f_the_Qur%27an

By first printing date
[edit]

1100s

* 1143(?), Latin Lex Mahumet pseudoprophete, — , by Robert of Ketton

[edit]

1500s

* 1543(?), Latin reprint of Lex Mahumet pseudoprophete edited by Theodor Bibliander [1]

[edit]

1600s

* 1647-??-??, French, L'Alcoran de Mahomet by Andre du Ryer
* 1649-??-??, English, L'Alcoran de Mahomet by Alexander Ross
* 1694-??-??, Arabic, printed and published in full at Hamburg for the first time, Abraham Hinckelmann [2]
* 1698-??-??, Latin, new Latin rendering made by Father Maracci, Padua [3]

[edit]

1700s

* 1734-??-??, English, KORAN, Commonly called The Alcoran of Mohammed, Translated into English immediately from the Original Arabic; with Explanatory Notes, taken from the most approved Commentators. To which is prefixed a Preliminary Discourse, by George Sale

[edit]

1800s

* 1841-??-??, Leipzig 1841 text of the Koran edited by Gustav Fluegel. [4]
* 1861-??-??, English, The Koran by John Medows Rodwell [5]

[edit]

1900s

* 1917-??-??, English, The Holy Qur'an — , by Maulana Muhammad Ali (Ahmadiyya sect), ISBN 0913321117.[6]
* 1930-??-??, English, The Meaning of the Glorious Koran — , by Marmaduke Pickthall (Sunni sect), ISBN 1879402513 [7] [8]
* 1934-??-??, English, The Holy Qur'an: Text, Translation and Commentary — , by Abdullah Yusuf Ali (Sunni sect), ISBN 0915957760.
* 1955-??-??, English, The Koran Interpreted: A Translation — , by Arthur John Arberry, ISBN 0684825074.
* 1989-05-??,English, The Qur'an — , by M. H. Shakir (Shi'a? sect), ISBN 0940368161.

[edit]

2000s

* 2005-10-27, English, Three Translations of The Koran side by side — , Abdullah Yusuf Ali, M. H. Shakir and Marmaduke Pickthall [9]

[edit]

By writer and language
[edit]

English

* Abdullah Yusuf Ali, The Meaning of the Holy Qur'an (ISBN 0915957760)
* M. H. Shakir, The Qur'an (ISBN 0940368161)
* Marmaduke Pickthall, The Glorious Qu'ran (ISBN 1879402513)
* Maulana Muhammad Ali, The Holy Qur'an: Text (ISBN 0913321117)

Less Well-Known English Translators

* Maulvi Sher Ali
* Arthur John Arberry, The Koran Interpreted : A Translation (ISBN 0684825074)
* Muhammad Asad, The Message of The Qur'an (ISBN 1904510000)
* Thomas Cleary, The Qur'an: A New Translation (ISBN 192969444X) and The Essential Koran : The Heart of Islam (ISBN 0062501984)
* Abdul Majid Daryabadi ("The Holy Qur'an, English Translation " 1941 57, Lahore - A faithful, though largely unacknowledged translation.)
* Muhammad Abdel Haleem, The Qur'an (ISBN 0192805487)
* Dr. Zohurul Hoque, Translation and Commentary on The Holy Quran (ISBN 0967830400)
* Dr. T. B. Irving, Noble Qur'an: Arabic Text & English Translation (ISBN 0915597519)
* Dr. Muhsin Khan and Dr. M. Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali, The Noble Quran (ISBN 1591440009)
* Fazlolla Nikayin
* E.H. Palmer, The Qur'an: The Sacred Books of the East Part Nine (ISBN 1417930101)
* Professor Hassan Qaribullah and Ahmad Darwish Grand Shaykh, The Meaning of The Glorious Koran Umm Durman university, Cairo 2001.
* George Sale, KORAN, Commonly called The Alcoran of Mohammed, Translated into English immediately from the Original Arabic; with Explanatory Notes, taken from the most approved Commentators. To which is prefixed a Preliminary Discourse
* Muhammad Sarwar, The Holy Qur'an (ISBN 094172400X) - An explanatory translation that paraphrases the contents of the Qur'an in a lucid style

There is also a translation based on the Al-Muntakhab tafsir written by a group of scholars.
[edit]

French

* Andre du Ryer, L'Alcoran de Mahomet

[edit]

Urdu

* Shah Waliullah (1703-1762)
* Shah Rafi al-Din
* Shah 'Abd al-Qadir
* Fatheh Mohammad Khan
* Sayyid Abul Ala Maududi
* Ameen Ahsan Islahi
* Maulana Muhammad Ali

[edit]

Mande

* Souleymane Kante

[edit]

Balochi

* Moulana Huzoor Bakhsh

[edit]

Tatar

* Musa Bigiev

[edit]

Latin

* Robert of Ketton, Lex Mahumet pseudoprophete

[edit]

Persian

* Shah Waliullah (1703-1762)
* Mehdi Elahi Ghomshei, in persian (مهدي الهي قمشه اي)
* Naser Makarem Shirazi, in persian (ناصر مكارم شيرازي)

Woodrow
05-21-2006, 08:14 PM
There are many translations into other languages. All contain errors as Arabic does not translate accuratly into other languages. The closest translations would be those that are translated into Aramaic, but Aramaic is not a native language for very many people.

One bad part is there are some translations that were made with deliberate errors to discredit Islam. These are most likely to be seen in some of the Early English translations. In finding a suitable translation it is best to seek the advice from Muslims as to which they found to be best.

From what I have seen it appears that the translations by Ali and Pickthall are the most accepted English translations. However, Ali's commentaries do not seem to be widely accepted.

HeiGou
05-21-2006, 08:18 PM
One bad part is there are some translations that were made with deliberate errors to discredit Islam. These are most likely to be seen in some of the Early English translations. In finding a suitable translation it is best to seek the advice from Muslims as to which they found to be best.
There is no evidence I know of to suggest that any translations were made with deliberate errors to discredit Islam - what is your source for that? On the contrary, the earliest translations were for missionaries who wanted to produce articles entitled things like "101 Errors in the Quran" and so had to be as good as they could be. The aim was to prepare missionaries to argue with Muslims. Making mistakes is pointless to that end.

I prefer the on-line one that combines three translations.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/searchquran.html

Woodrow
05-21-2006, 08:36 PM
At the moment I can not find the references that point to deliberate errors of the Qur'an per se. However, I am aware of some from the 1800's but at the moment can not remember thenames of the translators.

Here is a link that does talk about deliberate errors in translations of other Islamic texts:

http://www.--------------/tahrif/yourimam

glo
05-21-2006, 09:19 PM
It seems important to Muslims that they should be able to read the Qu'ran in Arabic, rather than rely on a translation.
I wonder how many modern Muslims actually read Arabic well enough to read and interpret the Qu'ran for themselves? :rollseyes
How long would it take to learn the language to such a standard?
I am assuming that Arabic as a language has changed throughout the centuries, as all languages do. So do you have to learn the old Arabic as spoken when the Qu'ran was written?
Or do you learn modern Arabic?

Peace. :)

*noor
05-21-2006, 09:23 PM
the reason that it is better to read the Quran in Arabic is because that was the language that it was sent down in. Reading a translation in English or another language will not convey the exact same message as does the original Arabic.

glo
05-21-2006, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nurofislam
the reason that it is better to read the Quran in Arabic is because that was the language that it was sent down in. Reading a translation in English or another language will not convey the exact same message as does the original Arabic.
I understand that.
Do you read the Qu'ran in Arabic?

the reason I'm asking is that it strikes me you would need a very good knowledge of the language to be able to understand the Qu'ran fully ... wouldn't you?

(Edited to add the last sentence as explanation)

HeiGou
05-21-2006, 09:29 PM
At the moment I can not find the references that point to deliberate errors of the Qur'an per se. However, I am aware of some from the 1800's but at the moment can not remember thenames of the translators.
Well I would appreciate it if you looked around.

Here is a link that does talk about deliberate errors in translations of other Islamic texts:
Well at the risk of incurring the wrath of the moderators, that does not seem to be a complaint against Christians or, indeed, to have anything to do with them.

HeiGou
05-21-2006, 09:35 PM
I am assuming that Arabic as a language has changed throughout the centuries, as all languages do. So do you have to learn the old Arabic as spoken when the Qu'ran was written?
Or do you learn modern Arabic?
I don't believe it but I think I can answer this,

There are three types of Arabic here - Fusha or Classical Arabic, Modern Standard Arabic (which is basically an updated version of the above which is now the standard across the Arab world) and the Vernacular. Most Arabs speak the Vernacular. If they go to school or deal with the government everything is done in MSA. If they want to read the Quran they need to learn Fusha. On top of which if they want to watch TV or any films they will probably have to watch Egyptian products and so many have a fair idea of what Cairo Egyptian means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varieties_of_Arabic

Even under the Rashidun there was a problem with the drift of Arabic from what had been spoken in Muhammed's time as there is a Hadith directing the compilers of the Quran to follow the dialect of the Quraysh I think offhand if they could not agree among themselves.

*noor
05-21-2006, 09:35 PM
I understand that.
Do you read the Qu'ran in Arabic?
i read the Quran in Arabic sometimes even though i struggle and i have the English translation next to it.

Even then, i dont really understand it too clearly.
You have to have somebody who really understands Arabic explain it to you if you want to understand everything.

glo
05-21-2006, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
I don't believe it but I think I can answer this,
LOL Whatever do you mean, HeiGou? You never seem to be short of an answer to me! ;D

There are three types of Arabic here - Fusha or Classical Arabic, Modern Standard Arabic (which is basically an updated version of the above which is now the standard across the Arab world) and the Vernacular. Most Arabs speak the Vernacular. If they go to school or deal with the government everything is done in MSA. If they want to read the Quran they need to learn Fusha. On top of which if they want to watch TV or any films they will probably have to watch Egyptian products and so many have a fair idea of what Cairo Egyptian means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varieties_of_Arabic

Even under the Rashidun there was a problem with the drift of Arabic from what had been spoken in Muhammed's time as there is a Hadith directing the compilers of the Quran to follow the dialect of the Quraysh I think offhand if they could not agree among themselves.
Thanks for your information and for those links. Good old wiki! :)

Peace.

glo
05-21-2006, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nurofislam
i read the Quran in Arabic sometimes even though i struggle and i have the English translation next to it.

Even then, i dont really understand it too clearly.
You have to have somebody who really understands Arabic explain it to you if you want to understand everything.
It must be very hard to learn Arabic. Do you take classes?
Is it okay to reply on somebody else's interpretation of the Qu'ran?
Isn't that a bit like relying on a translation in the first place?

Peace.

Skillganon
05-21-2006, 10:22 PM
It must be very hard to learn Arabic. Do you take classes?
Is it okay to reply on somebody else's interpretation of the Qu'ran?
Isn't that a bit like relying on a translation in the first place?

Peace.
It's not so hard to learn ARABIC.

Woodrow
05-21-2006, 10:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
Well I would appreciate it if you looked around.

Well at the risk of incurring the wrath of the moderators, that does not seem to be a complaint against Christians or, indeed, to have anything to do with them.
"The Muslim need for translating the Quran into English arose mainly out of the desire to combat the missionary effort. Following a long polemical tradition, part of whose goal was also the production of a - usually erroneous and confounding - European version of the Muslim scripture, Christian missionaries started their offensive against a politically humiliated Islam in the eighteenth century by advancing their own translations of the Quran."

From this site:http://soundvision.com/Info/quran/english.asp

primitivefuture
05-22-2006, 04:35 AM
glo, I am not Arab and even I can read the Quran in Arabic. This is something people learn if they are dedicated to their faith.

Woodrow
05-22-2006, 04:41 AM
glo, I am not Arab and even I can read the Quran in Arabic. This is something people learn if they are dedicated to their faith.
Not Arab here either. However, I have a fairly good grasp of the Arabic language. Although my original learning was strictly the everyday Maghrib dialect. I an just now When I first learned Arabic, I learned sufficient conversational skills in just a matter of a few weeks. Later I became more fluent in the grammar, now I am discovering the Beauty of it in the Qur'an.

glo
05-22-2006, 07:33 AM
Thank you all for your comments on Arabic.
I don't know anything about that language, so I guess I was applying my own experience with English.
English is not my first language, and I have to say that it took me a long time to know the language at such standard that I would be able to read a complex book such as the Bible. Knowing the translation of each word is one thing, but having a good 'feel' for the message it gives with all it's finer nuances is another.

I'm greatly impressed by those of you who learn Arabic!
Perhaps, when I get a spare moment, I should make a start on Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek? :rollseyes :? :happy:

Peace.

syilla
05-22-2006, 07:38 AM
http://www.theholyquran.org/

i'm always here... at the above site...

is this site okay?

Woodrow
05-22-2006, 07:39 AM
Glo, if it is to be as a pure linguistic study and not for other reasons I would suggest you start with Aramaic. Visit a few Coptic web sites, they are about the only people I know of who still speak it. A big advantage to Aramaic is you would also gain considerable knowledge of Both hebrew and Arabic along with it. Aramaic has many similariteis of both of them.

glo
05-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Glo, if it is to be as a pure linguistic study and not for other reasons I would suggest you start with Aramaic. Visit a few Coptic web sites, they are about the only people I know of who still speak it. A big advantage to Aramaic is you would also gain considerable knowledge of Both hebrew and Arabic along with it. Aramaic has many similariteis of both of them.
Wow, Woodrow! I was only joking, really ... but now your post has really encouraged me! :statisfie
Do you think I should ... try to learn Aramaic, I mean?
It's a dead language now, isn't it?
Where would I start?
You sound like you are a bit of a language buff!
I only know German, English and a little French (not even enough to decipher HeiGou's signature!) :rollseyes

Peace.

Woodrow
05-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Glo, to get a taste of Aramaic, I would suggest you do a google search of Coptic. The coptic Christians are the largest speakers of Aramaic today. Also it is still spoken by some Egyptians and Ethiopians.

The language isn't totaly dead yet, but it is on it's last legs.

Greek is also an interesting language but the Hellenic Greek has very little resemblance to todays Greek.

Languages are one of my favorite pursuits. Actually it was the study of Arabic which helped lead me to Islam.

HeiGou
05-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Glo, to get a taste of Aramaic, I would suggest you do a google search of Coptic. The coptic Christians are the largest speakers of Aramaic today. Also it is still spoken by some Egyptians and Ethiopians.

The language isn't totaly dead yet, but it is on it's last legs.
Umm, Copts speak Arabic but use Coptic, which is a descendent of ancient Egyptian, for religious purposes. Aramaic is spoken in a few small Christian villiages in Syria and nowhere else. It is dying because the Syrians try to enforce the national language and the Christian birthrate is low anyway.

Greek is also an interesting language but the Hellenic Greek has very little resemblance to todays Greek.
Hmmm, Greece has seen a lot of battles between those who want the Classical and those who want the demotic. I think the Left who support the demotic have won hands down. Oddly the opposite of what has happened in the Arabic world where they left and right have wanted Classical.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.