/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Druzes - Muslims or Non Muslims?

north_malaysian
05-22-2006, 02:04 AM
I've heard about this group called Druzes in the Levant. Many scholars saying that they're different religion from Islam.

I've been to their websites, they called themselves 'monotheists' not Muslims.

But when i've seen a documentary about them on Al Jazeera last Saturday it really opened my eyes.

They interviewed Druze scholars, a Sunni scholar and a Shiite scholar.

I'm so surprised when seeing Druze children being taught to read the Holy Koran.

Later, the Druze scholar they interviewed affirmed that Druzes are Muslims who believe 'There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad the Messenger of Allah".

another Druze said that any Muslim (Non Druze) who says another Muslim (a Druze) a Kafir (non believer), he himself a kafir.

The Sunni scholr commented that, the Druze are Muslims but their tawheed (Theology) has to be corrected by Muslims.

Any comments about the Druzes.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skillganon
05-22-2006, 02:07 AM
Never heard about those, but that's what happens when you stray from the path.

NahidSarvy
05-22-2006, 03:36 AM
The Druze refer to themselves as "an Islamic, Shīˤī, Unist, reformatory sect (madhhab Islāmī, Shīˤī, Tawḥīdī islāḥī)"

Looking4Peace
05-22-2006, 03:45 AM
if they say they are muslims and say and believe ''There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah", then i think it would be wrong in itself to say that they are not muslims.

From my knowledge creating different sects were clearly warned against, so a sunni, shia, quranite, etc are just as wrong as the other for seperating themselves with a sect (if they do and make a stink out of who's is correct), my belief is Islam is Islam only.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
05-22-2006, 03:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NahidSarvy
The Druze refer to themselves as "an Islamic, Shīˤī, Unist, reformatory sect (madhhab Islāmī, Shīˤī, Tawḥīdī islāḥī)"
Shi'i? They are Shiites? Yikes!!!

Woodrow
05-22-2006, 03:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crystal4Peace
if they say they are muslims and say and believe ''There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah", then i think it would be wrong in itself to say that they are not muslims.

From my knowledge creating different sects were clearly warned against, so a sunni, shia, quranite, etc are just as wrong as the other for seperating themselves with a sect (if they do and make a stink out of who's is correct), my belief is Islam is Islam only.
I agree there is only one Islam. Any name giving is the result of culture and/or political alliance. It makes about as much sense as saying that Muslims in the USA are either Democrat or Republican. A muslim can call himself either a democrat or a republican, but he would still be a Muslim

north_malaysian
05-22-2006, 04:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I agree there is only one Islam. Any name giving is the result of culture and/or political alliance. It makes about as much sense as saying that Muslims in the USA are either Democrat or Republican. A muslim can call himself either a democrat or a republican, but he would still be a Muslim
How about Muslims calling themselves 'Green' (Ralph Nader supporters) ;D

NahidSarvy
05-22-2006, 01:46 PM
The Druze identify themselves as a madhhab - just as there is a Ja3farî madhhab, Usûlî madhhab, etc. of Twelver Shi3a, the two Zaydi Shî3a madhâhib, the Ibâdî Khârijî madhhab of Oman & Tunisia or the "four living madhâhib" of Sunni Islam.

The Druze are known locally as the People of Ma3rif, a double entendre because the word can mean "Wisdom" as well as "Kindness/Parity". The Druze are famous for their kind, given, open and warm nature and always repay any debt scrupulously.

The only thing unusual about them, Islamically speaking, is that they reserve greater teachings under a veil of secrecy and they do not accept converts (after 1021 AD, actually!). The religiously-minded (3Uqqil) study the secret teachings and are very strict about veiling, both men and women - they wear a long, white veil (which they call the mankil or "napkin") over a white cap. The elder 3Uqqil provide spiritual leadership and such like Imams do.

Druze political leadership comes from the non-3Uqqil, thus ensuring a balance of power.
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Shi'i? They are Shiites? Yikes!!!
Yikes? What do you mean, yikes? The Shi3a are Muslim, too.

However, the Druze do not engage in many Twelver Shi3a practices because they are from a reformist Fâtimid (Ismaili) da3wa - for example, there aren't any Druze malangs.

Muslim Soldier
05-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Isnt this against the rules?
Secreterian Issues?

NahidSarvy
05-22-2006, 01:53 PM
I've been to their websites, they called themselves 'monotheists' not Muslims.
They use the term Muwahhidun "Monotheists" for themselves instead of Druze. The name Druze was used to slander them as followers of ad-Darazî, an early Fâtimid heretic who claimed the ruler Hakim ("the Mad") was divine. Hakim had him executed for heresy. He was attempting to usurp the Reformist da3wa by saying things that would endear him to the ruler - he was a great rival of the first Reformist dâ3î and claimed the title for himself.

But they are still Muslim. It's like calling yourself Sunni or Shi3a. In fact, the followers of Ibn Wahhab call(ed) themselves Muwahhidun as well!
The Sunni scholr commented that, the Druze are Muslims but their tawheed (Theology) has to be corrected by Muslims.
The Sunni scholar might also think that of the Shi3a in general, so I'm not sure of its significance.

muzna
05-22-2006, 01:55 PM
uh..i think that's supposed to be in another thread..to quote muslim soldier

Merzbow
05-22-2006, 04:37 PM
But didn't Mohammed say this:

In a tradition he declared: “The disagreements among my Companions are mercy for you.” and “The disagreements among my followers [being divided into madhhabs to practice Islam ] are mercy for mankind.”
http://www.ummah.net/Al_adaab/muhammad/86qualities.html

NahidSarvy
05-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Merzbow, I'm not sure of your meaning - even after looking after that page (perhaps especially after looking at that page).

Skillganon
05-22-2006, 08:58 PM
EDIT:

I don't identify myself with any madhab or groups if you wan't to call it, I just follow ISLAM, and in my journey I might make mistake. I will follow what I think is right, unless I made a mistake than I will change if the way comes clear. The problem is identifying yourself with certain groups, and madhab's is the best way to let saytan get a foothold. So be wary brother's and sister's.
Follow what is clear, and agreed upon clearly. and forget disgreeing over minor differences.

This is one thing I will study when I am older.

mas
05-22-2006, 09:11 PM
no clue about wat ur talking about anyways peace

Merzbow
05-23-2006, 01:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NahidSarvy
Merzbow, I'm not sure of your meaning - even after looking after that page (perhaps especially after looking at that page).
Well it seems like if that hadith is true, then it seems that Mohammed thought that disagreements among his followers was a good thing. One could then say that it is a good thing that there are different sects of Islam like Sunnis, Shias, etc.

Skillganon
05-23-2006, 02:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Merzbow
Well it seems like if that hadith is true, then it seems that Mohammed thought that disagreements among his followers was a good thing. One could then say that it is a good thing that there are different sects of Islam like Sunnis, Shias, etc.
Well I am niether of any sect, and most muslim are not too, I am just muslim, and follow the Quran and the sunnah. Thank's for your comment.

firdaw
05-23-2006, 03:15 AM
wow never heard of those people but interesting to find out about them

Skillganon
05-23-2006, 03:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by firdaw
wow never heard of those people but interesting to find out about them
Find about your deen(Islam) first, i.e. the principle and establish those in your life.

north_malaysian
05-23-2006, 03:28 AM
Conclusion - Druzes are Muslims.
:threadclo

north_malaysian
05-23-2006, 03:29 AM
How to close this thread? Or can someone close it?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.