/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Insulin

searchingsoul
05-22-2006, 03:45 AM
Do Muslims use Insulin that is derieved from the pig when controlling their diabetes?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
05-22-2006, 04:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
Do Muslims use Insulin that is derieved from the pig when controlling their diabetes?
I don't believe insulin has ever been commercialy produced from pigs.

syilla
05-22-2006, 04:07 AM
what is the ingredients of the insulins...?

Woodrow
05-22-2006, 04:16 AM
Ok it has been made from pigs I was only aware of the synthetic and that made from cows. The pig insulin would be forbidden

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
05-22-2006, 04:17 AM
Where Does Commercial Insulin Come From?

The first successful insulin preparations came from cows (and later pigs). The pancreatic islets and the insulin protein contained within them were isolated from animals slaughtered for food in a similar but more complex fashion than was used by our doctor and med-student duo. The bovine (cow) and porcine (pig) insulin were purified, bottled, and sold. Bovine and porcine insulin worked very well (and still do!) for the vast majority of patients, but some could develop an allergy or other types of reactions to the foreign protein (a foreign protein is a protein which is not native to humans). In the 1980's technology had advanced to the point where we could make human insulin. The advantage would be that human insulin would have a much lower chance of inducing a reaction because it is not a foreign protein (all humans have the exact same insulin, so we do not "see" this as a foreign protein). The technology which made this approach possible was the development of recombinant DNA techniques. In simple terms, the human gene which codes for the insulin protein was cloned (copied) and then put inside of bacteria. A number of tricks were performed on this gene to make the bacteria want to use it to constantly make insulin. Big vats of bacteria now make tons of human insulin. From this, pharmaceutical companies can isolate pure human insulin.

More about Type 1 Diabetes

More about Type 2 Diabetes

Making the Diagnosis of Diabetes

Details on How Insulin Regulates Blood Glucose Levels

Symptoms of Hyperglycemia

Treatment of Diabetes

Assessing how well Glucose is Controlled in a Diabetic

Back to Introduction to Diabetes

EndocrineWeb Home Page

| Search Endocrine Web | Site Map of EndocrineWeb |

Copyright © 1997-2005. Endocrine Web and the Norman Endocrine Surgery Clinic. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer

F.Y.
05-22-2006, 05:23 AM
I believe that I have heard that if it is for medicinal purposes - it is allowed. But I will have to get back to you on that one - have to research.

Peace

muzna
05-22-2006, 12:36 PM
i think it was said that Allah would never put cure in something haram. am i right?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.