/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The centrepiece of Christianity

Joe98
05-22-2006, 04:58 AM
From another thread came the following posts:

format_quote Originally Posted by primitivefuture
I still dont see why Christians eat pork when Jesus never did and Jews still don't.

format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
Because to eat pork is a question of common sense. To choose to not eat it is a question of religion.

Christains are not maniacal about religion. There is only one part of their religion they care about:

Christ is the Son God.
Christ died on the cross for you.
Christ rose from the dead.

Eating of pork has no effect on the centrepiece of Christianity

format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
Christians believe that when Jesus came and died for us

Woah.....if Jesus is God, then how did he end up dying? Are you suggesting that God can be mortal?

God is immortal. Since Jesus supposedly died, doesnt that imply he's mortal?

Also, if Jesus was God, why couldnt he protect himself from the Romans? Why did he end up crucified?

Christianity is an entire religion. Its much more than Christ.

You are mistaken

Islam is an entire religion. Christianity has only one central point. Christains believe:

Christ is the Son God.
Was born of a human mother.
Christ suffered and died on the cross for your sins.
Christ rose from the dead and ascended into heaven

The issue of pork and all other issues fall away.

Christians really don’t care about anything in the old testament or the new testament except this centre piece.

To the Muslim who found inconsistencies about how many people went to Christ’s tomb, Christians don’t care.

To the issue of pork. Christians don’t care.

To many other topics, Christians don’t care.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*Hana*
05-22-2006, 05:02 AM
Hmmmm, for an Athiest you have a lot to say on behalf of the Christians. :giggling:

I don't know that the Christians would agree with you that they don't care about the word of God. For them, the Bible is the word of God....all the pages, not just the ones talking about virgin birth, salvation, etc.

Hana

Joe98
05-22-2006, 05:27 AM
The difference is that Muslims believe every word in the Koran is the word of God.

Christains believe in the centerpiece of Christianity and everythng else is unimportant.

Thats why when Muslims find fault with the Bible Christains don't actually care.

north_malaysian
05-22-2006, 05:43 AM
The difference is that Muslims believe every word in the Koran is the word of God.

Christains believe in the centerpiece of Christianity and everythng else is unimportant.

Thats why when Muslims find fault with the Bible Christains don't actually care.
Now it's like u'r talking on behalf of us.:rollseyes

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*Hana*
05-22-2006, 05:43 AM

Yes, of course we believe the Qur'an is the word of God, and I beg to differ with you regarding the Christians. The Christians feel just as strongly the Bible is the word of God, and if you think they don't care or won't defend what's in their Bible, you haven't read many threads. They are just as passionate about their faith as Muslims are about ours. To say everything else is unimportant is absolutely not true. You don't go around dismissing what you believe to be the word of God as unimportant.

But, seeing how neither you or I are Christian, perhaps we should wait to get their opinion on it. :)

Peace,
Hana

Nicola
05-22-2006, 06:29 AM
Jesus is the centerpeice of my faith he died for my sins he has given me the chance of eternal life with the Father..though I must obey Gods commandment still..the two Jesus gave us....

It's no point in just believing in Jesus, without following in his path...and that can only be done when the Holy Spirit is indwelling inside of us. He teaches us what is right and wrong concerning the law of God and how God wishes us to act and live our life. I believe the Holy Bible is the true word of God and studying the bible gives us examples of how we should lead our lives.

Concerning pork...Jesus tells us..it's not what goes into the mouth that is important that cannot defile us... but what comes out of the mouth from your heart is most important.

Mark 7:14b-15, 17-19
“Listen to Me, all of you, and understand: there is nothing outside the man which going into him can defile him; but the things which proceed out of the man are what defile the man.” … And when leaving the multitude, He had entered the house, His disciples questioned Him about the parable. And He said to them, “Are you too so uncomprehending? Do you not see that whatever goes into the man from outside cannot defile him; because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and is eliminated?”

Mat 15:10 And he called the people to him and said to them, "Hear and understand:
Mat 15:11 it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person."
Mat 15:12 Then the disciples came and said to him, "Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?"
Mat 15:13 He answered, "Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be rooted up.
Mat 15:14 Let them alone; they are blind guides. And if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit."
Mat 15:15 But Peter said to him, "Explain the parable to us."
Mat 15:16 And he said, "Are you also still without understanding?
Mat 15:17 Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled?
Mat 15:18 But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person.
Mat 15:19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander.
Mat 15:20 These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone."

*Hana*
05-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Peace Nicola:

The response to the verses you posted referring to pork is listed here: HERE (message #74)

I just responded to them about an hour ago.

Peace,
Hana

syilla
05-22-2006, 06:51 AM
Now it's like u'r talking on behalf of us.
maybe he 'is' one of us...

maybe he is in disguise...:rollseyes

Nicola
05-22-2006, 07:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hana_Aku
Peace Nicola:

The response to the verses you posted referring to pork is listed here: HERE (message #74)

I just responded to them about an hour ago.

Peace,
Hana
hiya Hana_Aku

I know I posted here first then read the other thread...didn't think there was much point in repeating my post...but there are other scriptures in the NT that lead us to believe pork is OK to eat.

Many Christians refuse to eat pork...I'm not a pork eater myself because I don't like the taste... I think eating of pork is an indivdual choice for Christians.
I read for instance in another thread... a Muslim mentioning that a certain food they eat is cooked in lard...well lard has you know is from pig.

Many people do not even realise what they are eating...another instance while shopping a few weeks ago...I saw two elderly Muslim men..shopping they where putting ham etc in their trolly..I went up to them and tried to explain what they where buying..but they didn't speak English at all.. so I had to find someone else to explain to them.

If they'd of eaten this food they wouldn't have been committing a sin..because they did not know. This is the same as Christians if they truely believe it is ok to eat pork...because of scriptures leading them to believe this...they are not sinning.

For me Jesus' main message was God wanted a pure heart and wasn't concerned with what was in your stomach... God wants a heart that places and loves God above all else..and a heart that loves other people even our enemies more than ourselves.

God Bless

north_malaysian
05-22-2006, 07:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
maybe he 'is' one of us...

maybe he is in disguise...:rollseyes
Dont think so, how can a Muslim want to call himself an Atheist?

*Hana*
05-22-2006, 07:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nicola
hiya Hana_Aku

Many people do not even realise what they are eating...another instance while shopping a few weeks ago...I saw two elderly Muslim men..shopping they where putting ham etc in their trolly..I went up to them and tried to explain what they where buying..but they didn't speak English at all.. so I had to find someone else to explain to them.

If they'd of eaten this food they wouldn't have been committing a sin..because they did not know. This is the same as Christians if they truely believe it is ok to eat pork...because of scriptures leading them to believe this...they are not sinning.

God Bless
Peace Nicola:

I agree with you that intention means everything. These 2 elderly, Muslim gentlemen know that eating pork is prohibited, but they were not knowingly purchasing pork. And yes, there is pork in a lot of things including many brands of gum, and you have to read the labels to make sure.

However, the difference is, had they known they were purchasing pork knowing it is haram, they would be accountable. That being said, the bible does prohibit pork yet many Christians eat it so I believe they will be held accountable for breaking God's Law. Well, as a Muslim I believe they will be held accountable for more than just pork....but that's a different topic. :p

Allah, swt, is the most just and for sure He will not punish those that make a mistake without knowing they have, but for those that know it :rollseyes

With peace,
Hana :)

syilla
05-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Dont think so, how can a Muslim want to call himself an Atheist?
yeah true... maybe should change the profile...

north_malaysian
05-22-2006, 08:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
yeah true... maybe should change the profile...
Dont get me wrong, but from what I've seen. Ex-Christian Westerners usually prefer to anykind of religion other than Christianity. Dont know why?

syilla
05-22-2006, 08:09 AM
But those in whose hearts is a disease,- it will add doubt to their doubt, and they will die in a state of Unbelief.
at-taubah:25

[BANANA]3) "Agama" barat adalah berdasarkan "hendonisma" (hendonism) dan falsafah kemanusiaan (humanistic philosophy), saya tak dapat menerangkan secara terperinci konsep2 ini tapi mereka tidak mempercayai akan adanya hukum-hakam yang perlu mereka patuhi dalam hidup mereka, menolak hak kommander untuk memberi arahan, menolak wujudnya kommander atas nama "kebebasan". Sebagi Muslim kita menerima apa sahaja yang di perintah oleh Allah dan menjauhi segala larangannya. Kita menerima dengan sepenuh hati, "Ya, Allah Engkaulah yang menciptaku dan Engkau tahu apa yang baik dan buruk untuk ku."

4) Taraf manusia pada pandangan barat adalah menurut kekayaaan harta-benda, degree, dsb. Status itu menentukan kawasan kediaman mereka, kenderaan yang dimiliki, dsb. Tidak menjadi masaalah tempat mana kita tinggal, atau kereta apa kita pandu, tapi jangan sedikit pun merasa superior atau inferior. Dalam Islam status, taraf manusia disisi Allah (SWT) adalah mengikut ketaqwaan mereka, Allah (SWT) berfirman:

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنَّا خَلَقْنَاكُم مِّن ذَكَرٍ وَأُنثَى وَجَعَلْنَاكُمْشُعُوباً وَقَبَائِلَ لِتَعَارَفُوا إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِندَ اللَّهِ أَتْقَاكُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَعَلِيمٌ خَبِيرٌ
"..Sesungguhnya semulia-mulia kamu di sisi Allah ialah orang yang lebih takwanya di antara kamu..." [Surah Hujurat 13]

[/BANANA]

they also discussing about this on bincang.net - sorry no translation

May Allah always be with us...

Nicola
05-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Peace Nicola:

I agree with you that intention means everything.
:thankyou:

Romans 14:13-23

13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother’s way.
14 As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean.
15 If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died.
16 Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil.
17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit,
18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.
19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.
20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.
22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves.
23 But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

I think this scripture proves our point rather well...:) our intentions are everything

Colossians 2:16-23,
16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.
17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.
18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions.
19 He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.
20 Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules:
21 “Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”?
22 These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings.
23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence

Titus 1:15.

To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-22-2006, 10:15 AM

So basically you can do anything you want aslong as you believe that christ is your saviour, whooptidoo heaven here i come?!
So what about someone like Hitler... if he believed christ was his saviour, is he saved?

searchingsoul
05-22-2006, 11:24 AM

The centerpiece of Christianity is what connects all Christian denominations. All other details can be argued amongst various Christians. The centerpiece that Joe is referring to is the core of Christianity and the most important.

*Hana*
05-22-2006, 02:27 PM
The centerpiece of Christianity is what connects all Christian denominations. All other details can be argued amongst various Christians. The centerpiece that Joe is referring to is the core of Christianity and the most important.
Peace Searchingsoul:

So, the messages of Prophets Abraham, Moses, Noah, Adam, pbuta, warnings of Satan, God's Law, creation, etc.....none of that matters to Christians? By what you've just said, the only doctrine you need is Pauline Doctrine, none of the other Gospels and words of God are important? :? This version of the Bible is gonna be real thin. :)

Things sure have changed since I was a Christian. :rollseyes

Peace,
Hana

searchingsoul
05-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Peace Searchingsoul:

So, the messages of Prophets Abraham, Moses, Noah, Adam, pbuta, warnings of Satan, God's Law, creation, etc.....none of that matters to Christians? By what you've just said, the only doctrine you need is Pauline Doctrine, none of the other Gospels and words of God are important? :? This version of the Bible is gonna be real thin. :)

Things sure have changed since I was a Christian. :rollseyes

Peace,
Hana
The Old Testament is good for reference but not the rules God gave to the "chosen people" are no longer applicable for Christians.

IceQueen~
05-22-2006, 02:33 PM
The Old Testament is good for reference but not the rules God gave to the "chosen people" are no longer applicable for Christians.
no longer applicable..? what do u mean?

searchingsoul
05-22-2006, 02:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marge1
no longer applicable..? what do u mean?

The rules in the old testament no longer have to be followed. This is due to the purpose that Jesus served.

*Hana*
05-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Peace searchingsoul:

Reference for what? If you no longer accept it is the word of God and you reject it, why does it exist now and what purpose would you use it for reference?

Peace,
Hana

IceQueen~
05-22-2006, 02:39 PM
The rules in the old testament no longer have to be followed. This is due to the purpose that Jesus served.
so when the next prophet came with the latest 'updated' religion everyone followed him? doesn't that mean that when the last prophet came even after Jesus-everyone is supposed to follow him or they will be outdated...?

come on all christains-embrace islam with open hearts and arms..! ameen!

searchingsoul
05-22-2006, 02:41 PM
so when the next prophet came with the latest 'updated' religion everyone followed him? doesn't that mean that when the last prophet came even after Jesus-everyone is supposed to follow him or they will be outdated...?

That would be the case if Christians believed that Mohammed was a prophet. They do not.

searchingsoul
05-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Peace searchingsoul:

Reference for what? If you no longer accept it is the word of God and you reject it, why does it exist now and what purpose would you use it for reference?

Peace,
Hana
The rules applied to the chosen people prior to the crucifixion of Jesus are no longer accepted. This does not mean that Christians reject the Old Testament. For example they believe in the creation story, moses, etc...These are historical accounts.

IceQueen~
05-22-2006, 02:45 PM
That would be the case if Christians believed that Mohammed was a prophet. They do not.
hmm.. wonder why not?

Ayesha Rana
05-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Awww. Thats so cute. Thanks Nicola. You sound like you have a heart of Gold. May Allah guide you. Ameen.

searchingsoul
05-22-2006, 02:53 PM
hmm.. wonder why not?
I guess the same reason Muslims don't believe in the trinity, crucifixion, and other Christian elements. We either adopted the religion we were born into or made the decision to adopt another religion. It's all just a matter of preference or indifference.

IceQueen~
05-22-2006, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ayesha Rana
Awww. Thats so cute. Thanks Nicola. You sound like you have a heart of Gold. May Allah guide you. Ameen.
thumma ameen.

*Hana*
05-22-2006, 03:06 PM
The rules applied to the chosen people prior to the crucifixion of Jesus are no longer accepted. This does not mean that Christians reject the Old Testament. For example they believe in the creation story, moses, etc...These are historical accounts.
What purpose does it serve to be part of the Bible? If they are of no importance to the faith and the OT is rejected....all those teachings and Laws are now obsolete...so remove them and use a history book. :D

Peace,
Hana

Nicola
05-22-2006, 04:15 PM

and the next prophet was suppposed to be Joseph Smith who set up the Mormons...

would you follow him?

neither would I

Nicola
05-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Peace searchingsoul:

Peace,
Hana
besides what searchingsoul has stated...also we have alot of prophecies within the OT concerning the End of Time..though some have been fulfilled many still need to...Including Jesus' seconding coming and the anti christ..what will happen is Europe etc.

Joe98
05-22-2006, 10:38 PM
The OT can best be described as a history book of religion.

And it is written by people, not by God.

-

*Hana*
05-22-2006, 10:59 PM
besides what searchingsoul has stated...also we have alot of prophecies within the OT concerning the End of Time..though some have been fulfilled many still need to...Including Jesus' seconding coming and the anti christ..what will happen is Europe etc.
Peace Nicola:

A lot of former prophecies you mean? If you reject the OT, that includes everything, not just what appeals to you. If church leaders were willing to dismiss where the NT confirms the OT, surely something as "unimportant" as prophecy is also dismissed. I'm not trying to be disrespectful saying "unimportant", I'm using the words from previous posts. :)

Peace,
Hana

searchingsoul
05-22-2006, 11:58 PM
What purpose does it serve to be part of the Bible? If they are of no importance to the faith and the OT is rejected....all those teachings and Laws are now obsolete...so remove them and use a history book. :D

Peace,
Hana
In a sense they are a the recorded history of Christianity prior to Jesus. As I stated earlier the Old Testament is not rejected. The rules of the chosen people are now rejected.:)

primitivefuture
05-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Jesus must be proud of all Christians.

searchingsoul
05-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Jesus must be proud of all Christians.
Yes.:)

primitivefuture
05-23-2006, 06:58 PM
LOL.....note the sarcasm :)

searchingsoul
05-23-2006, 06:59 PM
LOL.....note the sarcasm :)
No sarcasm intended my friend. Just a simple yes. :)

Nicola
05-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Peace Nicola:

A lot of former prophecies you mean? If you reject the OT, that includes everything, not just what appeals to you. If church leaders were willing to dismiss where the NT confirms the OT, surely something as "unimportant" as prophecy is also dismissed. I'm not trying to be disrespectful saying "unimportant", I'm using the words from previous posts. :)

Peace,
Hana
I can't speak for other Christians but personaly for me the OT is very important.

primitivefuture
05-23-2006, 07:25 PM
I can't speak for other Christians but personaly for me the OT is very important.
That is the problem. Christianity is NOT uniform among Christians. People take whatever parts of the Bible (esp OT) seriously whenever they like it. No wonder why Christianity has so many denominations and there are so many versions of the Bible.

akulion
05-23-2006, 07:33 PM
So in other words you are saying that Christianity is simply a "faith" with no instructions on how to live life?

Because if the Pork point becomes in valid based on 'faith alone'

then why turn the other cheek?

Why not commit adultery?

Why not commit murder?

These are things to think deeply about!

You cannot abondon the preachings and simply say I believe!

In the Quran we have "True believers are those in whose actions are manifest the teachings of Islam"

So really its something to think about - not to offend you or put u down but reading your initial post - I felt you are making Christianity look bad by basically saying that "it dosent matter what you do as long as you believe"

Nicola
05-23-2006, 07:44 PM
That is the problem. Christianity is NOT uniform among Christians. People take whatever parts of the Bible (esp OT) seriously whenever they like it. No wonder why Christianity has so many denominations and there are so many versions of the Bible.
I've seen the same problems in Islam here...don't you think where ever there are humans there are problems?.....lol :happy:

Christianity isn't a cult...our faith is in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. We do have laws to live by and if we don't live by those we are accountable to God.

Firstly though we must look to the plank in our own eye...before we try and remove the speck out of someone elses. This is what Jesus tells us.

primitivefuture
05-23-2006, 09:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
So in other words you are saying that Christianity is simply a "faith" with no instructions on how to live life?
No, that is what the OP is saying, and I disagree to this.

I've seen the same problems in Islam here...don't you think where ever there are humans there are problems?.....lol
How many denominations are there in Islam? How many "versions" of the Quran are there? You know the answer quite well.

Christianity isn't a cult...our faith is in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. We do have laws to live by and if we don't live by those we are accountable to God.
What's funny is that Jesus never claimed he was son of God. And no, even though Christians have laws, most dont take them seriously. And statistics supports this well.

Firstly though we must look to the plank in our own eye...before we try and remove the speck out of someone elses. This is what Jesus tells us.
But in order to do this, you have to understand and identify Jesus first.

primitivefuture
05-23-2006, 09:37 PM
No, that is what the OP is saying, and I disagree to this.

I've seen the same problems in Islam here...don't you think where ever there are humans there are problems?.....lol
How many denominations are there in Islam? How many "versions" of the Quran are there? You know the answer quite well.

What's funny is that Jesus never claimed he was son of God. And no, even though Christians have laws, most dont take them seriously. And statistics supports this well.

But in order to do this, you have to understand and identify Jesus first.

searchingsoul
05-24-2006, 01:55 AM

How is this different than Islam? Are you forgetting about the different sects within Islam?

searchingsoul
05-24-2006, 01:59 AM
post - I felt you are making Christianity look bad by basically saying that "it dosent matter what you do as long as you believe"

Because if a person believes they can ask for forgiveness.

searchingsoul
05-24-2006, 02:05 AM
How many denominations are there in Islam?
http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQ...slam_sects.htm

I found the following sects.

Sunni, Shi'ite, Sufi, Kahrijites, Wahhabis, Ismailis, Zaidis, Fatimids, Nizari, Alawis, Druze, Baha'i

mas
05-24-2006, 02:43 AM
then wats the point of calling them selves christian if they dont fallow their religion . a religion means that u fallow everything in it no matter wat. so im guessing that ppl just fallow wat like and wat comfort them.peace

mas
05-24-2006, 02:45 AM

Sunni, Shi'ite, Sufi, Kahrijites, Wahhabis, Ismailis, Zaidis, Fatimids, Nizari, Alawis, Druze, Baha'i
actually its kinda the samething only few differences and actually they dont leave anything nor take some parts ( i know many shii and sunni as well) peace

syilla
05-24-2006, 02:46 AM
yeah... i though a religion has to be perfect in every way...

*Hana*
05-24-2006, 03:44 AM

Baha'i: Their sacred texts are as follows:
Bahá'í scripture comprises the writings of the Bab and Baha'u'llah, together with the writings of 'Abdu'l-Baha. Among the better known writings of Baha'u'llah are, The Most Holy Book, The Book of Certitude, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, The Hidden Words and The Seven Valleys. There are many others books of Bahá'í scripture.

There is absolutely nothing Islamic about them. You have to understand that to be Muslim you also must believe Muhammed, pbuh, is the final messenger of God and the Qur'an the final revelation. Baha'i faith doesn't believe anything remotely similar to that.

The Druze: What is Islamic about this: One of the faith's holy books is called the Kitābu l-Ħikma or "Book of Wisdom", largely compiled by a mysterious figure called al-Muqtana. It has six volumes and compiled in chapters each covering a specific issue. The teachings denounce materialism, especially materialism relative to religion.

Druze religion does not allow them to intermarry with Muslims, Jews or members of any other religions.

Fatimids: Haven't existed since 1171.

(reference: Wikipedia)

We are told Islam will develop a total of 71 sects, but only 1 is correct. Some of these sects like the Fatimids, no longer exist.

However, all of them, except the ones noted, use the Qur'an....only ONE Qur'an and no other versions as there are no other versions. For the most part, where they differ or "branch off" is the accepting or not accepting of different caliphs, things of that nature. Of course, I can't speak for them all, because I don't know them all. :giggling:

Personally, I do not break the Ummah into sects and we are warned about doing exactly that. I don't know much about different sects by choice, to be honest. But, for me, if they believe in the Qur'an, follow the sunnah of Prophet Muhammed, pbuh, and are able to make the proclaimation of faith, then everything else is left to the judgement of Allah, swt.

Peace,
Hana

ps Apologies for going off topic.

Nicola
05-24-2006, 06:43 AM
But, for me, if they believe in the Qur'an, follow the sunnah of Prophet Muhammed, pbuh, and are able to make the proclaimation of faith, then everything else is left to the judgement of Allah, swt.
exactly...this applys to Christianity also....

There are Christian sect I would not call Christians but it up to God to judge them...not man.

Panatella
05-24-2006, 07:09 AM
How many denominations are there in Islam?
Well there are a number actually. Not as many as christianity, but then christianity has more followers and has been around longer. It is logical that more branches would form.
To name a few islamic sects, we have;
Sunni
Shi'ite
Sufi
Kahrijite
Druze
Ismaili
Wahhabi
Zaidi
Fatimid
Alawi
Nizari(the Assassins)
Baha'i

syilla
05-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Quote:
But, for me, if they believe in the Qur'an, follow the sunnah of Prophet Muhammed, pbuh, and are able to make the proclaimation of faith, then everything else is left to the judgement of Allah, swt.

exactly...this applys to Christianity also....

There are Christian sect I would not call Christians but it up to God to judge them...not man.
that's why we believe everything quran says...

do you believe everything that's in the bible?

*Hana*
05-24-2006, 10:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Panatella
Well there are a number actually. Not as many as christianity, but then christianity has more followers and has been around longer. It is logical that more branches would form.
To name a few islamic sects, we have;
Sunni
Shi'ite
Sufi
Kahrijite
Druze
Ismaili
Wahhabi
Zaidi
Fatimid
Alawi
Nizari(the Assassins)
Baha'i
If you look up a couple of posts (someone already posted this exact list), you'll see the Druze and Baha'i have nothing to do with Islam, and the Fatimids haven't existed since 1171.

Wasalam,
Hana

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Wahabi is just an invented term... they'll be saying takfeeri is a sect now.
:w:

searchingsoul
05-24-2006, 12:37 PM
If you look up a couple of posts (someone already posted this exact list), you'll see the Druze and Baha'i have nothing to do with Islam, and the Fatimids haven't existed since 1171.

Wasalam,
Hana
The point still remains that there are different sects within Islam. Downplaying the legitimacy of Christianity by using the "different denomination" argument doesn't work for Muslims.

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi SearchingSoul,
The point still remains that there are different sects within Islam. Downplaying the legitimacy of Christianity by using the "different denomination" argument doesn't work for Muslims.
First of all, the sect list is incorrect. Ismaili, Zaidi, Fatimid, Alawi, Nizari and Druze are all branches off from Shi'ite. Baha'i is considered a totally seperate religion. The Khawawrij as a group/sect are no longer in existence. Sufis do not consider themselves a sect - they consider themselves Sunni. And 'Wahhabi' is a misnomer applied to sunni muslims. For more info see the 'sects' section of this forum.

So what it comes down to is really the Sunnis and the Shi'ah. The difference between Islam and Christianity here is that in Islam there is a clear majority (almost 90%). A clear majority of Muslims are agreed on the fundamentals whereas in Christianity right from the start we have the three branches of Roman Catholicism (58%), Protestantism (26%) and Eastern Orthodox (14%).

And then there is the issue of the different books in the Bible. Muslims on the other hand accept the same Qur'an.

Regards

searchingsoul
05-24-2006, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Hi SearchingSoul,

First of all, the sect list is incorrect. Ismaili, Zaidi, Fatimid, Alawi, Nizari and Druze are all branches off from Shi'ite. Baha'i is considered a totally seperate religion. The Khawawrij as a group/sect are no longer in existence. Sufis do not consider themselves a sect - they consider themselves Sunni. And 'Wahhabi' is a misnomer applied to sunni muslims. For more info see the 'sects' section of this forum.

So what it comes down to is really the Sunnis and the Shi'ah. The difference between Islam and Christianity here is that in Islam there is a clear majority (almost 90%). A clear majority of Muslims are agreed on the fundamentals whereas in Christianity right from the start we have the three branches of Roman Catholicism (58%), Protestantism (26%) and Eastern Orthodox (14%).

And then there is the issue of the different books in the Bible. Muslims on the other hand accept the same Qur'an.

Regards
Thanks for the explanation. I'll look at the sects forum.

"So what it comes down to is really the Sunnis and the Shi'ah."

I'll accept this rational but at the same time it implies that with Christianity it just comes down to three branches: Roman Catholicism, Protestantism, and Eastern Orthodox.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.