/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What makes a conspiracy theory?

Skillganon
05-22-2006, 11:23 PM
If an alteriar viewpoint is deemed conspiracy theory?

Than, I do wan't to know what is a conspiracy theory?

It will help if the MOD will properly define it, than I will able to see if it is just a theory or not.

I will like any opinion by user's here?

I seemed to posted certain information, that is supposed to be a comspiracy theory i.e. 9/11 deeper Investigation.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skillganon
05-23-2006, 12:23 AM
Well, I will highly appreciate if anyone give opinion's, this is not an interrogation, it is for me not to post any conspiracy theory in the future!

Shukria
05-23-2006, 12:32 AM
HINT: break down da word itself
CON PIRATE
LOL

Abdul Fattah
05-23-2006, 02:41 AM
If an alteriar viewpoint is deemed conspiracy theory?
Than, I do wan't to know what is a conspiracy theory?
A conspircay theory, is any theory that suggest the exitsting of a conspiracy.
A conspiracy is a secretive plan made and played out by a group of people, usually it's used in a negative way and includes illegal or morally questionable acts. So when you think your friends are making plans for throwing you a birthdayparty, then I guess it's save to post according to the no conspiracy rule.

HINT: break down da word itself
CON PIRATE
LOL
well actually it brakes down like this:
con- latin prefix meaning: "with, together",
spirare latin for: "to breathe"
Nice try though :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hawa
05-23-2006, 02:50 AM
why?
who sent you? ;D

to answer your question I went to the dictionary..and this is what it had to say

1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.
2. A joining or acting together, as if by sinister design

Skillganon
05-23-2006, 02:52 AM
Well, what I posted was further investigation on the 9/11 issue, a deeper understanding, their is so many theories flying over the media and what you watch and read sometime, and these can all be theory. Some conspiracy maybe true, it just did not get enough limelight. I am not saying to believe in one theory over the other, as this will be scientifically unsound to do so, but it will be wrong, to dispose on theory over another when it is sound and very well viable, although it may be not so popular.

To call one theory conspiracy theory and the other as fact's is a big mistake of the intellect. For example to say it is al-qaeda blew, or Bin Laden conspired the 9/11 attack as a fact is a big fallacy in itself, it maybe just another conspiracy theory, i.e. conjecture's.

So it is important to do further scientific endevour into this things, as it has touched many lives.

wilberhum
05-23-2006, 05:23 PM
The problem comes in when you take 1% of the evidence, say it doesn’t contain the evidence you want, ignore the 90% evidence that gives conclusive proof, distort statements, and deny facts.
I find that Conspiracy theories are usually spread by people who refuse to accept reality because they conceder the facts some how insults them. I also think that it is done to incite others to hate what they hate.
This has nothing to do with looking for the truth.
So what you really end up with is telling lies to spread hate.

united
05-23-2006, 05:26 PM
What im wondering is whether or not the mod who made up these rules even knows what he is talking about. You can not call something a lie without investigating what itsays.

czgibson
05-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Greetings,

I'm sorry the mods don't find discussion of conspiracy theories beneficial. I think they're very interesting, and a useful way of training the mind and establishing what is credible and what isn't.

Also, remember that some conspiracy theories have been proven right - Nixon's involvement in the Watergate break-in, for example.

Peace

Abdul Fattah
05-23-2006, 11:46 PM
I think there is some confusion regarding the meaning of the word conspiracy theory.
When sombody calls a theory a conspiracy theory, that has nothing to do with the credebility of that theory. Because conspiracy theory's are -just as any other theory- still judged by the same rules of logic. So why make the destinction between other theories and conspiracy? not because of teh credebility or likelyness of the theory being true, but rather for it's contents. A conspiracy theory is just any theory that suggest the existing of a conspiracy. Now the general public will quickly associate the word conspiracy with nutjob. But that's just closed mindedness, because after all, people make plots for their benefits on a daily basis. It's absurd to deny the existance of conspiracys. The only question is, can we sort the tabloid-conspiracies, from obvious truths.

Muezzin
05-24-2006, 01:45 PM
If members posts (credible!) sources for their information, rather than just going on a rant ('Well I think the clowns did it. Look at their evil faces!'), it's really not so much of a problem.

x Maz x
05-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Yeh well what if their 'sources' are apparently based on 'conspiracy theories'...A conspiracy theory is anything that goes against the messages portrayed by the western media?...just erm a theory lol...Peace x

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-24-2006, 01:50 PM
True say. I guess Muezzin is right.
But it is all right to question things.
:w:

Muezzin
05-24-2006, 01:50 PM
^It's okay to question things. It's not okay to go on a rant, as you understand.

And it's obviously all a big conspiracy involving the CIA, the FBI, the LI Moderators, and the residents of central Leeds to control your thoughts! To the Batcave!

x Maz x
05-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Skeeeeeen, well if you question things abit to much going into depth about the possibilites then does that make it a conspiracy theory?
What you mean go on a 'rant'...?? is that by goin into depth? Peace x

united
05-24-2006, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
^It's okay to question things. It's not okay to go on a rant, as you understand.

And it's obviously all a big conspiracy involving the CIA, the FBI, the LI Moderators, and the residents of central Leeds to control your thoughts! To the Batcave!
Regardind 9/11, have you watched loose change?

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-24-2006, 03:59 PM

I thought you were about to say 'as you do' lol. But yeah, it's easy to get carried away with the conspiracy theories. It can be amusing though! Like that one HeiGou is always talking about (the shape-shifitng intergalactic baby-eating reptillian humanoids.... or something like that).

wilberhum
05-25-2006, 07:22 PM
I was watching the History Chanel Tuesday night. They were talking about all the Conspiracy Theories surrounding Roswell. The man made an interesting point that I would like to share. He said the problem with all the conspiracy theories that are created on half truths or lies, is that the time wasted on disproving them could have been spent of finding the truth. Also, all the lies cause the public to be suspicious of the truth.
I guess that is part of the point I was trying to make.

Abdul Fattah
05-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Yes, but obviously not all these conspiracy theories are actually build on lies. To suggest that people shouldn't be suspisious towards what the gov tells us is just narrow minded. Obviously there are tabloids spreading lies. Nobody ever denied that. But obviously there's also lies that are commonly accepted to. And when the truth confronts these accepted lies, it's often mistaken as BS because of the attitude you suggest we should have, because it sounds like "just another conspiracy theory".

You can LPay blind if you want, but that doesn't answer all the questions we have.

Muezzin
05-26-2006, 08:43 AM
conjecture
/knjekchr/

noun an opinion or conclusion based on incomplete information; a guess.

verb form a conjecture; guess.

— DERIVATIVES conjectural adjective.

— ORIGIN Latin conjectura, from conicere ‘put together in thought’.

Oxford Dictionary Definition

Mystery solved, surely.

united
05-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But an opinion can not be formed by looking at one side of the coin only. Nor can it be formed by asking one side of the coin about the other side. You have to look at both sides, and form your own opinion. Sadly this is where many of us are lacking. If X and Y have a fight, we can not get a complete picture by asking only X, we have to ask both X and Y. We can not say "X says that Y is bad, so Y must be bad".

Muezzin
05-26-2006, 07:25 PM
That's very true. Which is why you find news sources, reporting FACTS, from either side. You don't get some crazy's blog saying, 'Ehh, I saw those towers fall... It wasn't the airplanes. It was beauty killed the beast. That's right. NAOMI WATTS DID IT!'

united
05-27-2006, 11:58 AM
But the fact remains that if you ONLY use mainstream news, you are ONLY going to get the mainstream viewpoint.

Muezzin
05-27-2006, 01:58 PM
No one says you can't use non-mainstream news agencies. There's just a prohibition on conspiracy theories as cojecture benefits no one.

Skillganon
05-27-2006, 02:05 PM
No one says you can't use non-mainstream news agencies. There's just a prohibition on conspiracy theories as cojecture benefits no one.
What conjecture's?

Muezzin
05-27-2006, 02:07 PM
I have posted a definition of the word 'Cojecture'. Please read it. :)

I'm not referring to any theories in particular, I'm just saying this is how one can spot a conspiracy theory.

Skillganon
05-27-2006, 02:20 PM
I have posted a definition of the word 'Cojecture'. Please read it. :)

I'm not referring to any theories in particular, I'm just saying this is how one can spot a conspiracy theory.

Oh! than how do you discern what is a conspiracy theory from what is not? Everything is based on conjecture's and thought's put together!

What if the theory is scientifically viable, and it is based on scientific enquiry and truth, would that be still considered a conspiracy theory because it does not take the mainstream attitude (theory)? which verily well is based on inconclusive evidence, because the matter for further investigation is being supressed. Is anyone aware that.

There is something we describe in science as the "MOB culture", and that is if you wan't to get good grade you have to conform to their dogma, their way of thinking, and usually any other methodology or thought's that is a threat to this Dogma is supressed.

I don't think when such enquiry is being made people should attach blame to any particular group until full investigation is made, and that is take in consideration every observation pertaining that matter.

united
05-27-2006, 02:23 PM
The only conjecture that "conspiracy theorists" make is that they don't make the conjecture that BIG BAD BIN-LADEN was responsible as they don't make the conjecture that Bush & co are telling the truth.

Muezzin
05-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Question: are you going to accept any explanation I try to give? :p

root
05-27-2006, 02:40 PM
A conspiracy theory also comes about in the following manner.

A given fact that appears to falsify the given description of a given event..............

Thus the nature of the conspiracy fact must be drawn into scrutiny as often or not the explanation can be explained.

Example

Faked moon landings and no stars in the background:

later proven to be incorrect, scientific test showed stars would not be viisible in the image. Thus the conspiracy data (in this case stars) at first appeared to falsify the theory (ie the landings were real).

Below. (image taken by voyager) Where are the stars?

Skillganon
05-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Question: are you going to accept any explanation I try to give? :p
Are you going to let me post observation that don't attach blame on any particular group?

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-27-2006, 07:18 PM
:sl:
What qualifies and what does not qualify, what is appropriate to post and what is not appropriate to post, is subject to the moderator's discretion. If the staff sees no benefit in the discussion of a particular topic we will act accordingly, bi'idhnillah.

:threadclo:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.