/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam alive and well in China

babagrr
05-23-2006, 03:15 PM
[ Monday, May 22, 2006 08:37:59 pm
REUTERS ]

XINING (CHINA): Ishmael is a big fan of Osama bin Laden. "He is a hero," he said, stroking his beard. "He is a good Muslim." Maybe not such a strange comment
to hear from a Muslim in Iraq or Saudi Arabia, but Ishmael is a Chinese citizen who lives in the remote province of Qinghai, in a country which is officially
atheist and strictly controls religion.

With just over 20 million adherents, according to the government, there are as many Muslims in China as in Syria, or Yemen, two predominantly Islamic countries.

And Islam is alive and well in western China. Ishmael, who, like many other Muslims in Qinghai, prefers using his Arabic name to the Chinese one on his
identity card. He is a student at an Islamic school attached to a mosque in Xining.

There he learns Arabic and Persian, as well as studying the Koran and other Islamic teachings. But politics is technically banned by law from being mentioned
either in Ishmael's school or mosque.

A large blackboard near the entrance to the mosque, on the dusty outskirts of Xining, reminds worshippers of their duty to love the motherland and love
the Communist Party as part of being a good Muslim, an admonition that riles some.

Source: = The Times of India
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1542874.cms

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
primitivefuture
05-23-2006, 03:39 PM
With just over 20 million adherents, according to the government, there are as many Muslims in China as in Syria, or Yemen, two predominantly Islamic countries.

Wow....

Mawaddah
05-23-2006, 03:45 PM
and love
the Communist Party as part of being a good Muslim, an admonition that riles some
I'd Say!!!

But Masha'allah I never knew there were that many Muslims in China

Nablus
05-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Mashallah

May ALLah bless muslims every where

Isalm the fastest growing religion
in the world

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
NahidSarvy
05-23-2006, 05:45 PM
When I was at university in Beijing, China, my tutor was Huihui (Han Chinese Muslim ethnic group) and a member of the Communist Party (which very few are permitted to be). The word Ma ("Horse") was made an official surname in ancient times and given to all Muslims, native or foreign.

There are so many Muslims that I got to eat halâl food on campus at Peking University!

united
05-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Subhanallah there are many Muslims in China.
There is a tape called "Islam in China" by Halaqah Media. It is very good.

north_malaysian
05-24-2006, 06:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Salam,
I have been told by my non-muslim Chinese friends that there are indeed many muslims in China. There is a part of China (mostly muslim), I forget where, that actually wants independance from China...the people in that part look more mongol (I think) than Chinese.

I have seen some Chinese notes (money) which also have Arabic text...

A benefit, the muslims bring, atleast to my friends, is the availability of Kebabs!
Somebody told me that actually Muslims exceed 70 millions people with 45,000 mosques. But most of them (in Xinjiang) are not counted by government because they live in mountainous and remote area.

Allah knows the best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.