/* */

PDA

View Full Version : stereotypes

minime7
05-24-2006, 06:20 PM
why is that people like osama bin laden, sadam hussain, abdul hamza are the ones that represent muslims? why is that muslims let them get away with representing them? dnt people know thats exactly what stirs up trouble and gives muslims the bad name this is what is going to lead to the world turning against us OURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MusLiM 4 LiFe
05-24-2006, 06:27 PM
i no.. what a shame init sis..

we muslims need 2 speak out.. LOUD! tell the kaafirs the beauty of islam and tell them that the real kaffirs r the ones who kill themselves thinkn theyr dyin 4 allah and killin thousands of innocents! subanAllah!

SirZubair
05-24-2006, 06:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
i no.. what a shame init sis..

we muslims need 2 speak out.. LOUD! tell the kaafirs the beauty of islam and tell them that the real kaffirs r the ones who kill themselves thinkn theyr dyin 4 allah and killin thousands of innocents! subanAllah!
Please refer to This thread.

wa'salam

Muezzin
05-25-2006, 08:53 AM
I agree. I want to be the stereotype people think of when you say the word 'Muslim'.

:p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
HeiGou
05-25-2006, 09:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I agree. I want to be the stereotype people think of when you say the word 'Muslim'.
What a coincidence! I want you to be the stereotype people think of when they say the word "Muslim".

But in the immortal words of Robert Zimmerman: You can't always get what you want, but if you try real hard you get what you need.

syilla
05-25-2006, 09:24 AM
whateva we say... they'll never listen...

HeiGou
05-25-2006, 09:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
whateva we say... they'll never listen...
Well that is not true. When Muslim after Muslim after Muslim comes here and says Osama Bin Laden did not carry out the 9-11 attacks I listen. Especially to the sounds of silence that follow such claims.

There is a difference between a pro forma denial and real outrage.

SirZubair
05-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Its funny how Muslims stereotype all the time,and when a non-muslim 'westerner' does the same thing,muslims cry a river.

Maybe we should stop doing it ourselves before expecting the rest of the world to pull their socks up and get their act together?

Logic. :)

wa'salam

Muezzin
05-25-2006, 10:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
Its funny how Muslims stereotype all the time,and when a non-muslim 'westerner' does the same thing,muslims cry a river.

Maybe we should stop doing it ourselves before expecting the rest of the world to pull their socks up and get their act together?

Logic. :)

wa'salam
:)

Here I was thinking I was some sort of freak for thinking like this - but no, there's a whole load of us! :p

Seriously, good post bro.

Stereotypes are bad, yes, and it is annoying, yes. The best thing to do is to prove the stereotype wrong through actions and character.

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Well who made them the stereotypes? I'm trying so hard to not say the Media....

aamirsaab
05-25-2006, 12:19 PM
:sl:
Stereotypes are created by ignorrant (and probably arrogant) members of the society. They get some sick pleasure out of it.

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-25-2006, 12:24 PM
That's true, and people who have an angle.
(interesting website btw)
:w:

HeiGou
05-25-2006, 04:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm_Shaheed
Well who made them the stereotypes? I'm trying so hard to not say the Media....
Well they had stereotypes before the media. I think it is true that the media play a part in creating stereotypes these days, but not because they want to, but because so many of us spend so much time listening to the TV. In the old days, when they just had reputations, people would sit around chatting about each other and reputations would be cretaed. Now we do it on a larger scale, but with the TV instead. If there is a stereotype of the "Muslim terrorist" it is because pretty much the only Muslims non-Muslims come across are terrorists. There aren't that many Muslims scientists, artists, or politicians, but there are a lot of terrorists from a certain religious background. Maybe if non-Muslims were Muslims it would be different - you all talk about these Ulama I have never even heard of. Why would I as I am not a Muslim. So imagine my world where the only Muslims I ever hear about are Yasir Arafat, Abu Nidal, and the Ayatollah Khomeini.

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Don't you know any Muslims HeiGou?
:w:

HeiGou
05-25-2006, 04:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm_Shaheed
Don't you know any Muslims HeiGou?
Well I do but I did not know any growing up.

edil
05-25-2006, 05:02 PM
People might spread rumors about how Islam is a bad religion but thats not stopping people to come in the fold of islam because Islam is not in the hands of the disbelievers nor is it in the hands of the Muslims Islam is in the hands of Allah and he will guide whoever he wants to his religion and lets just pray that Allah will guide the disbelievers. We have people converting every know and then so islam is spreading.

aamirsaab
05-25-2006, 05:26 PM
:sl:
I just want to quickly add something about the media on stereotypes. All they do is reinforce it e.g. have an article on [insert stereotype]. So it's a mixture of certain members of society and the media that are to blame for stereotypes. Anyways, what are all you female members doing on LI asking all these questions about stereotypes? Shouldn't you be in the kitchen, you know, cooking?

(that last sentence was sarcasm by the way. It also served as an example of stereotypes)

syilla
05-26-2006, 01:37 AM
(that last sentence was sarcasm by the way. It also served as an example of stereotypes)

:giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

Looking4Peace
05-26-2006, 01:45 AM
There are some people who do speaches that have to do with Islam and the west relations, especially here in nyc. There are alot of presentations that are done in colleges, high schools, even in places of worship of various kinds. Point being there are many people who want to debunk these stereotypes and try hard to do so.

Woodrow
05-26-2006, 02:13 AM
Brothers and Sisters. YOU are doing much to change the stereotype. You are presenting yourselves here as being what Muslims really are. Always remember that to change peoples attitudes, show your selves as we truly are, Example xample speak louder then a million words. You can not change every persons views, and you do not have to. If you change the opinion of just one person, in your lifetime, that is a success. That one person will change the views of one or more, soon, your one example will ripple and by showing the truth to just one person, it will affect millions.

snakelegs
05-26-2006, 02:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
Well that is not true. When Muslim after Muslim after Muslim comes here and says Osama Bin Laden did not carry out the 9-11 attacks I listen. Especially to the sounds of silence that follow such claims.

There is a difference between a pro forma denial and real outrage.
this is true. but it is also true that even though a large percentage of the people here could hardly be described as "moderate", i have been impressed by the almost unanimous condemnation of acts like 9/11, suicide bombings and terrorism in general, even on a forum like this.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.