/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does Islam tolerate other beliefs?

al-fateh
05-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Does Islam tolerate other beliefs?

The Qur’an says:

God forbids you not, with regards to those who fight not for (your) faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them; for God loves those who are just. [60:8]

It is one function of Islamic law to protect the privileged status of minorities, and this is why non-Muslim places of worship have flourished all over the Islamic world. History provides many examples of Muslim tolerance towards other faiths: when the caliph Omar entered Jerusalem in the year 634, Islam granted freedom of worship to all religious communities in the city.

Islamic law also permits non-Muslim minorities to set up their own courts, which implement family laws drawn up by the minorities themselves.

ANY THOUGHTS???

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
primitivefuture
05-25-2006, 05:04 PM
I dont think Muslims in general are very tolerant of other religions.

Kittygyal
05-25-2006, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by primitivefuture
I dont think Muslims in general are very tolerant of other religions.
salam.
me either :uhwhat
w.salam

Syed Nizam
05-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Honestly speaking, i do think that Islam in a sense do tolerate other beliefs. There are various verses in the Quran which actually clearly defines the tolerance adopted in Islam:-

109.001-006
Say : O ye that reject Faith!
I worship not that which ye worship,
Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship,
Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
To you be your Way, and to me mine.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
05-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi Syed Nizam

Your signature caught my eye:
Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
Can you explain to me what it means?

Peace.:)

Looking4Peace
05-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Islam itself may tolerate other people, but some muslims are intolerant towards others but then again so are many christians, jews etc. It depends on the person.

glo
05-25-2006, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crystal4Peace
Islam itself may tolerate other people, but some muslims are intolerant towards others but then again so are many christians, jews etc. It depends on the person.
I agree with you, Crystal4Peace.
Whatever our personal human views may be, if we follow our faiths truly, we will all leave the final judgement to God, and live our lives trying to understand and love each other - no matter how much we may disagree in matters of faith!
No matter which religion (or none) we abide by, we would all do well searching our heart is this! :rollseyes

Peace. :)

Woodrow
05-25-2006, 09:39 PM
If all people practiced what was taught by their religion, this would be a very Peacefull planet. I guess us humans get bored with having a peacefull existance, so we stir things up.

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-26-2006, 12:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Hi Syed Nizam

Your signature caught my eye:

Can you explain to me what it means?

Peace.:)
Hi Glo,
Just wanted to inform you of the in-depth analysis on this verse available here:
http://load-islam.com/c/rebuttals/Sa...or_non-Muslims

Peace :)

Abdul Fattah
05-26-2006, 12:21 AM
this thread begs to be more precise, does your interpretation of "to tolerate" and "to not tolerate" include any of the following: to distanciate, to afilliate, to debate, to ignore, to indulge, to allow, to be constructive towards, to respect, to disrespect, to insult, and the list goes on....

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-26-2006, 12:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by steve
this thread begs to be more precise, does your interpretation of "to tolerate" and "to not tolerate" include any of the following: to distanciate, to afilliate, to debate, to ignore, to indulge, to allow, to be constructive towards, to respect, to disrespect, to insult, and the list goes on....
:sl:
I agree there is some ambiguity in the question. Islam does not view other beliefs in opposition to it to be valid. But Islam instructs Muslims to treat those who hold such beliefs with respect and compassion and not to impose our beliefs on them.

:w:

syilla
05-26-2006, 01:00 AM
'i' can tolerate them...

but 'i' can't tolerate when their making fun of 'my' religion (islam).

snakelegs
05-26-2006, 02:09 AM
i think people who belong to religions like islam and christianity have more of a challenge to be tolerant because both religions claim to be the only truth (which implies that all others are false).
but there are tolerant and intolerant people in any group of people of course.

glo
05-26-2006, 05:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Hi Glo,
Just wanted to inform you of the in-depth analysis on this verse available here:

Thank you, Ansar Al-Adl. :) I will check it out later.
Where would I be without the moderators???! :rollseyes

Peace.

Syed Nizam
05-26-2006, 07:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Hi Glo,

Thanks bro Ansar 4 that...

glo
05-26-2006, 11:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
but 'i' can't tolerate when their making fun of 'my' religion (islam).
Hi Syilla

So what do you do when you can't tolerate people making fun of your religion? How do you react?

Living in a secular society, I think I have no other choice than to learn to deal with my faith being criticised or even ridiculed!
Non-believers don't understand, and cannot be expected to understand my faith, unless they see the truth themselves ...

Peace.

Sabi
05-28-2006, 09:30 AM
All I can say is that the Muslims on this forum have been very tollerant indeed towards me even though I come from a different background of belief.
MashaAllah.
:brother:

Woodrow
05-29-2006, 07:28 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

I came into Islam as a revert. I was a Christian, and then a Buddhist prior to learning I was truly Muslim. I don't think I would have ventured very far into Islam, if I had been met with intolerance because of my previous Religious beliefs. From personal experience I believe Islam is very tolerant of other beliefs.

Joe98
05-29-2006, 07:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al-fateh
Does Islam tolerate other beliefs?

The Qur’an says:

God forbids you not, with regards to those who fight not for (your) faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them; for God loves those who are just. [60:8]
The Koran was originally written in Arabic and it has been translated into English. However it has it has been translated into the 16th century English that Shakespeare would be familiar with. As a result it is hard to read. So I will translate the above into modern English.

If a person fights for their religion and that religion is different to yours, and he does not drive you out of your house, then God does not forbid you from dealing kindly and justly with them.

You will notice it does not say: You must deal kindly and justly with them.

A Muslim could argue he is not obliged to deal kindly and justly with the person.

-

Woodrow
05-29-2006, 08:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
The Koran was originally written in Arabic and it has been translated into English. However it has it has been translated into the 16th century English that Shakespeare would be familiar with. As a result it is hard to read. So I will translate the above into modern English.

If a person fights for their religion and that religion is different to yours, and he does not drive you out of your house, then God does not forbid you from dealing kindly and justly with them.

You will notice it does not say: You must deal kindly and justly with them.

A Muslim could argue he is not obliged to deal kindly and justly with the person.

-
That is quite true.

Yet it is a good choice to do so if you wish to live in harmony with people. It would be very hypocritical to deal kindly and justly with someone if your heart was hardened against them, perhaps the absolute having to, is not there to keep us from being hypocritical. My choice is to treat all people kindly and justly, I like the idea that I can do so as my own choice and not because it is demanded.

glo
05-29-2006, 08:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I came into Islam as a revert. I was a Christian, and then a Buddhist prior to learning I was truly Muslim. I don't think I would have ventured very far into Islam, if I had been met with intolerance because of my previous Religious beliefs. From personal experience I believe Islam is very tolerant of other beliefs.
I think it is different if you are showing an interest in another faith, and people are hoping that you will convert.
Most religions show a high level of tolerance towards those who revert.
That doesn't mean they show the same tolerance towards those who have no inclination to convert.

Peace.

syilla
05-29-2006, 08:51 AM
ways of tolerance are very subjective...

Dawud_uk
05-29-2006, 10:09 AM
assalaamu alaykum,

to the non-muslims, peace be upon those who follow righteous guidence,

i am tolerant of someone else's right to hold a different belief and practices in their religion. in an islamic state it would even be our duty to defend you physically if necessary to help you in that.

however i am not really very tolerant of that belief itself when it is disbelief and i will Insha'Allah (God willing) do what i can, as long as it is permissable in islam, to change those incorrect beliefs.

this is because i have a love of the rest of humanity and want them to share this beautiful thing called islam.

so i respect someones right to believe Jesus is the son of God and part of a trinity of 3 persons as 1 person, i just happen to think it is crazy, crazy thing and want to correct people away from such wacked ideas.

up to you whether you think that is tolerant or intolerant.

assalaamu alaykum / peace be upon those who follow righteous guidence,

Daw'ud

Sabi
05-29-2006, 10:11 AM
I think it is different if you are showing an interest in another faith, and people are hoping that you will convert.
That doesn't mean they show the same tolerance towards those who have no inclination to convert.
Not so in islam at least.
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
in an islamic state it would even be our duty to defend you physically if necessary to help you in that.
Exactly. This is the unique thing about islam that is missing frm all other traditional religions around. That is why Sabi`een and ultra Orthodox Jews support the islamic din. I do not know if there are any Christian groups that support the din.

format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
So I will translate the above into modern English.
Deepest appologies sir, but you have not proven your qualifications here yet with an Ijaza in any of the islamic sciences. So your re-translation is as good as anyone else without one.

Are you fluent in Classical Arabic? If so, where are your qualifications from? Is there a way for you to proove this to us so that we may consider your translation as valid?

HeiGou
05-29-2006, 10:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
in an islamic state it would even be our duty to defend you physically if necessary to help you in that.
From whom do the dhimmis need protecting? As far as I can see they all do pretty well as long as they are not in certain countries.

HeiGou
05-29-2006, 10:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sabi
Are you fluent in Classical Arabic? If so, where are your qualifications from? Is there a way for you to proove this to us so that we may consider your translation as valid?
Before I page Mr Pot, perhaps you might like to tell us all about your fluency in Classical Arabic?

Sabi
05-29-2006, 10:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
Before I page Mr Pot, perhaps you might like to tell us all about your fluency in Classical Arabic?
Please forgive me I am not claiming to be. There was truely no offense intended sir, I was simply asking, and if you are a scholar then you will have my full attention. The world needs more scholars.

:sl:

HeiGou
05-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Please forgive me I am not claiming to be. There was truely no offense intended sir, I was simply asking, and if you are a scholar then you will have my full attention. The world needs more scholars.
Really? You claim to stand in judgement on Whoever-it-was' re-statement. You have heard the expression He who is without sin? If you're not claiming to be able to judge Whoever-it-was (Joe I think, and I assure you we are not the same person), why are you judging him?

Sabi
05-29-2006, 11:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
You have heard the expression He who is without sin? If you're not claiming to be able to judge Whoever-it-was (Joe I think, and I assure you we are not the same person), why are you judging him?
So sorry :uhwhat I only just noticed that you were not Joe. That is what I should expect might happen when one answers for someone else. I am not aware of what sin I have comitted though and am not sure why you seem to be attacking me here.:offended: Can anyone help explain?

czgibson
05-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Greetings,

I am not aware of what sin I have comitted though and am not sure why you seem to be attacking me here. Can anyone help explain?
You lashed out at Joe for no real reason. He pointed out that the verse quoted from the Qur'an had been translated into fake 16th century English, and that he would therefore update it. He did this pretty accurately, only leaving out the phrase saying 'god loves those who are just'. No knowledge of classical Arabic is needed for this operation.

The common use of fake 16th century English in Qur'an translations is something that mystifies me. Open translations by Asad, Picktall and Yusuf-Ali, and there it is, plastered all over the page. Why? Is this some sort of attempt to project the perceived grandness of the language of Shakespeare or the King James Bible onto the content of the Qur'an? If so, then why do the translators not learn about Jacobean grammar and avoid their distracting errors, which are surely unsuitable for a "perfect" book?

Peace

Sabi
05-29-2006, 12:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
You lashed out at Joe for no real reason.
:rollseyes but I honestly did not want to lash out at Joe at all. I only wished to asked him some innocent questions about his scholastic background in Classical Arabic. I would like to know what Joe thinks. :? If Joe thinks I have lashed out at him I will certainly appologize to him instead of to HeiGou like last time (did not read carefully). :offended:

czgibson
05-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Greetings,
:rollseyes but I honestly did not want to lash out at Joe at all. I only wished to asked him some innocent questions about his scholastic background in Classical Arabic. I would like to know what Joe thinks. :? If Joe thinks I have lashed out at him I will certainly appologize to him instead of to HeiGou like last time (did not read carefully). :offended:
Fair enough. Personally, I haven't got a problem with people being curious. However, as I said, no knowledge of classical Arabic was necessary for the task that Joe set himself of 'translating' from fake 16th century English to modern English.

Anyway, why am I saying all this? It should be Joe or HeiGou you're talking to. Apologies for sticking my nose in.

Peace

Woodrow
05-29-2006, 05:57 PM

Peace.
Up until the time I reverted last year, I myself never would have believed I would ever revert. My Muslim friends and relatives had absolutly no hope of ever seeing me revert. I called myself a Buddhist, but in reality was an agnostic and did not have much good to say about any religious belief system. I had absolutly no inclination to revert, in fact I often did my best to get my friends of any religion to give up what I considered their supperstitions.

glo
05-29-2006, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Up until the time I reverted last year, I myself never would have believed I would ever revert. My Muslim friends and relatives had absolutly no hope of ever seeing me revert. I called myself a Buddhist, but in reality was an agnostic and did not have much good to say about any religious belief system. I had absolutly no inclination to revert, in fact I often did my best to get my friends of any religion to give up what I considered their supperstitions.
:) Just goes to show ... you never know what's round the corner!

I guess I didn't word my post well at all.
I didn't mean it to sound like people are waiting to pounce on a potential convert. lol

Aside from whether people are looking to convert or nor, take this forum as an example.
From my own experience and that I observe in others I can only say that those who ask questions in a reasonable and respectful manner, receive replies which are polite, informative and equally respectful.
That is great! And in that sense, as a non-Muslim, I feel that people tolerate me. That, however, is me, personally.

When I read some of the remarks that are made about the followers of my faith as a group, I feel that they are very much intolerant of my beliefs.

So, my verdict whether Islam is tolerant of my belief or not, is to date undecided. :rollseyes

I hope this has explained it better.

Peace.

Joe98
05-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Are you fluent in Classical Arabic? ……..Is there a way for you to proove this to us so that we may consider your translation as valid?

I translated the “above“ from ancient English to modern English.

-

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.