/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Origin of AIDS found

root
05-26-2006, 01:26 PM
I thought this was interesting considering all the misconception that get touted from timr to time on this forum:

HIV origin 'found in wild chimps'

It is thought that people hunting chimpanzees first contracted the virus - and that cases were first seen in Kinshasa, in the Democratic Republic of Congo - the nearest urban area - in 1930.

Paul Sharp, professor of genetics at the University of Nottingham said: "It is likely that the jump between chimps and humans occurred in south-east Cameroon - and that virus then spread across the world.

"When you consider that HIV probably originated more than 75 years ago, it is most unlikely that there are any viruses out there that will prove to be more closely related to the human virus."

He said the team were currently working to understand if the genetic differences between SIVcpz and HIV evolved as a response to the species jump.
Keith Alcorn of Aidsmap said: "The researchers have pinned down a very specific location where they believe the precursor of HIV came from.

"But there are vast areas of west Africa where other forms of SIVcpz lineages exist, and the possibility remains for human infection.

Source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5012268.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
05-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Please tell me the virus became sexually transmitable AFTER the species-jump from chimps. The alternative is just nasty.

root
05-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Please tell me the virus became sexually transmitable AFTER the species-jump from chimps. The alternative is just nasty.
Currently AIDS is not necessarily sexually transmitable parsai. Aids is spread by infected blood so absorbing HIV infection can be through a number of means that are not sexual. However, we do have to acknowledge that sexual intercourse does permit AIDS to spread due to minute tearing of capillery blood vessels during sex and it spread was more prominant in Gay communities because Anal sex bleeding during intercourse is much more prominant than non anal sex.

So after establishing it's transport method "blood to blood" the virus initially infected humans in the 1930's through the hunting of Chimps either by the blood of the chimps getting onto open wounds and very small abrasions on the hunters or beneficeries of the kill and or the eating of bush meat insufficiently cooked. A question of either or.

Muezzin
05-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Ah ha. Silly me, I forgot that it is transmitable through blood. You're right, chimps bleeding into open human wounds makes sense.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
05-26-2006, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Without going into detail, the alternative is virtualy physicaly impossible.

If somebody really thinks they have a valid reason to know more then that I suggest they enrole in an approved University, major in biology and take some advance comparative anatomy courses.

05-26-2006, 02:32 PM
lolz :giggling:

Bittersteel
05-26-2006, 02:44 PM
do you know that depressed AIDS victims now inject their blood with syringes into innocent poeple in crowded places?

al-fateh
05-26-2006, 02:48 PM
I heard somewhere that Aids is a genetically engineered virus..

any thoughts?

seek.learn
05-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Peace,

Thank you for sharing.
God bless.

Peace

HeiGou
05-26-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't think I have anything much I care to contribute to this thread.

Evolution's human and chimp twist
Humans and chimpanzees may have split away from a common ancestor far more recently than was previously thought.

A detailed analysis of human and chimp DNA suggests the lines finally diverged less than 5.4 million years ago.

The finding, published in the journal Nature, is about 1-2 million years later than the fossils have indicated.

A US team says its results hint at the possibility that interbreeding occurred between the two lines for thousands, even millions, of years.

This hybridisation would have been important in swapping genes for traits that allowed the emerging species to survive in their environments, explain the scientists affiliated to the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard and the Harvard Medical School.

And it underlines, they believe, just how complex human evolution has been.

"This is a hypothesis; we haven't proved it but it would explain multiple features of our data," said David Reich, assistant professor of genetics at the Harvard Medical School and an author on the Nature paper.

"The hypothesis is that there was gene flow between the ancestors of humans and chimpanzees after their original divergence.

"So, there might have been an original divergence and a separation for long enough that the species became differentiated - for example, we might have adapted features such as upright walking - and then there was a re-mixture event quite a while after; a hybridisation event," he told the Science in Action programme on the BBC World Service.

Gene swapping

Humans and chimps contain DNA sequences that are very similar to each other; the differences are due to mutations, or errors, in the genetic code that have occurred since these animals diverged on to separate evolutionary paths.

By analysing where these differences occur in the animals' genomes, it is possible to get an insight into the two species' histories - the timing of key events in their evolution.

Scientists have been able to do this for some time but the recent projects to fully decode the two primates' genomes have provided details that have taken this type of study to a more advanced level.

The US investigation indicates the human and chimp lines split no more than 6.3 million years ago and probably less than 5.4 million years ago.

It is a problematic finding because of our current understanding of early fossils, such as the famous Toumai specimen uncovered in Chad.

Toumai ( Sahelanthropus tchadensis ) was thought to be right at the foot of the human family tree. It dates to between 6.5 and 7.4 million years ago. In other words, it is older than the point of human-chimp divergence seen in the genetic data.

"It is possible that the Toumai fossil is more recent than previously thought," said Nick Patterson, a senior research scientist and statistician at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, and lead author on the Nature paper.

"But if the dating is correct, the Toumai fossil would precede the human-chimp split. The fact that it has human-like features suggests that human-chimp speciation may have occurred over a long period with episodes of hybridisation between the emerging species."

Commenting on the research, Daniel Lieberman, a professor of biological anthropology at Harvard, told the Associated Press: "It's a totally cool and extremely clever analysis.

"My problem is imagining what it would be like to have a bipedal hominid and a chimpanzee viewing each other as appropriate mates, not to put it too crudely."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...ch/4991470.stm

Published: 2006/05/18 11:00:34 GMT

Woodrow
05-26-2006, 03:27 PM
HeiGou, Surprisingly, I am going to agree with you and accept that as a feasable possability. Although I can not say this proves your statement, but it does lend credability to your statement.

2:65. And well ye knew those amongst you who transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath: We said to them: "Be ye apes, despised and rejected." S P C
2:66. So We made it an example to their own time and to their posterity, and a lesson to those who fear Allah. S P

Yusuf Ali's Quran Translation

Now what I see from that, is that some people were changed into apes. Since they were changed they are no longer human. It is as if they never were human. My conclusion is that therefore humans are not related to Chimps.

Just my honest opinion astaghfirullah

root
05-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Now what I see from that, is that some people were changed into apes. Since they were changed they are no longer human. It is as if they never were human. My conclusion is that therefore humans are not related to Chimps.
The scientific data is in direct odds with your statement. Further, apes and humans split what would appear to be a number of times and hybrids could be a real possibility (as some fossils) thought to be an ancestor may have been early hybrid attempts.

It seems as Heigou's reference points out cross breeding before the final isolation of breeding occured showed that chimps and bipedal (pre-human) chimps continued to breed, Chimps were on this planet before Humans.

Muezzin
05-26-2006, 07:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

If somebody really thinks they have a valid reason to know more then that I suggest they enrole in an approved University, major in biology and take some advance comparative anatomy courses.
As Homer Simpson would say: 'Woohoo!'

Jeness18
05-27-2006, 02:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by root
I thought this was interesting considering all the misconception that get touted from timr to time on this forum:

HIV origin 'found in wild chimps'

It is thought that people hunting chimpanzees first contracted the virus - and that cases were first seen in Kinshasa, in the Democratic Republic of Congo - the nearest urban area - in 1930.

Paul Sharp, professor of genetics at the University of Nottingham said: "It is likely that the jump between chimps and humans occurred in south-east Cameroon - and that virus then spread across the world.

"When you consider that HIV probably originated more than 75 years ago, it is most unlikely that there are any viruses out there that will prove to be more closely related to the human virus."

Keith Alcorn of Aidsmap said: "The researchers have pinned down a very specific location where they believe the precursor of HIV came from.

"But there are vast areas of west Africa where other forms of SIVcpz lineages exist, and the possibility remains for human infection.

Source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5012268.stm
Wow, I read these articles from Newsweek in History class today about AIDS. I never got to state my opinon so I'm going to say it now. The part that shocks me the isn't the statistics. It is how the people feel embarrassed about this and don't tell anyone. They make up that they are dying from cancer or they keep have unsafe sex not telling their partners. I just wanted to get that out in the open.

Hashim_507
05-27-2006, 08:43 AM
In my opinion aids is engineer disease by sciencetist, their alot of truth not have been told.

Sister_6038
05-27-2006, 08:47 AM
correct if im wrong but i thought it was impossible to deduce that AIDS came from one source as it was found in three parts of the world at around the same time??

root
05-27-2006, 02:50 PM
correct if im wrong but i thought it was impossible to deduce that AIDS came from one source as it was found in three parts of the world at around the same time??
You got a source for that and most importantly does it date to being located in the 1930's? Somehow, I don't think you will provide the source

*noor
05-27-2006, 05:35 PM
i saw a video last week that showed that HIV might not really be the cause of AIDS and that HIV patients are given medication that might somehow lead to the cause of AIDS. i dont think its true but the video definitely raises questions.

Hawa
05-29-2006, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

;D

or just use plain common sense..

NJUSA
05-30-2006, 12:25 AM
HIV is found in a few bodily fluids that come in contact with other people. They are:
Blood
Semen
Vaginal Secretions
Breast Milk
HIV is also found in spinal fluid, but that rarely leaves the body, much less gets shared with another person. If HIV was originally a simian disease, coming in contact with simian blood (possibly anywhere in the process of hunting down, killing, and eating a primate) could have transmitted it. Personally, I'm going to spend less time speculating on its beginning, and more time hastening its end.

afriend
05-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Currently AIDS is not necessarily sexually transmitable parsai. Aids is spread by infected blood so absorbing HIV infection can be through a number of means that are not sexual. However, we do have to acknowledge that sexual intercourse does permit AIDS to spread due to minute tearing of capillery blood vessels during sex and it spread was more prominant in Gay communities because Anal sex bleeding during intercourse is much more prominant than non anal sex.

So after establishing it's transport method "blood to blood" the virus initially infected humans in the 1930's through the hunting of Chimps either by the blood of the chimps getting onto open wounds and very small abrasions on the hunters or beneficeries of the kill and or the eating of bush meat insufficiently cooked. A question of either or.
You have raised/explained a great point, I will use this to discourage gays!!

NJUSA
05-30-2006, 12:37 AM
Blood is also shed during vaginal sex as well, between heterosexual partners. Good luck getting everyone to stick to oral sex or masturbation.

syilla
05-30-2006, 06:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asma1
lolz :giggling:
i was wondering about it too. could it be possible?

:giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

nah...we should not think about it:heated:

Woodrow
05-30-2006, 06:36 AM
At this point the origin is of little importance to the average person. Of importance is to keep from becoming a victim of it. It is a very serious disease, but should be preventable except under some very bad scenaria.

syilla
05-30-2006, 07:33 AM
i heard that there is some cases that they cured 100% from the disease (but i'm not sure whether from HIV or from AIDs...but my guess is AIDs)

HeiGou
05-30-2006, 09:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NJUSA
Blood is also shed during vaginal sex as well, between heterosexual partners. Good luck getting everyone to stick to oral sex or masturbation.
Can be. Not necessarily is. All evidence so far is that heterosexual sex is low risk as far as AIDs goes. In the early days a number of haemophilliacs got AIDs and yet their wives by and large did not. The distinction is Africa but there is a claim that there is a preference for "dry" sex in Africa (i.e. the woman not enjoying it much) and this can be produced artificially through insertion of, well, dirt. Which would lead to more bleeding. But then no one knows what is going on in Africa.

root
05-30-2006, 09:24 AM
i heard that there is some cases that they cured 100% from the disease (but i'm not sure whether from HIV or from AIDs...but my guess is AIDs)
Yes, their are some cases of cures which are not fully understood how and why it occured. Additionally, around 12% of europeans are actually immune from aids due to immunity which occured as a direct result of the various great plagues of europe that also seem to protect from aids in a mutated version. The fact they are immune is now a genetic inheritence and you either have the mutated gene or you don't.

NJUSA
05-30-2006, 11:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
Can be. Not necessarily is. All evidence so far is that heterosexual sex is low risk as far as AIDs goes. In the early days a number of haemophilliacs got AIDs and yet their wives by and large did not. The distinction is Africa but there is a claim that there is a preference for "dry" sex in Africa (i.e. the woman not enjoying it much) and this can be produced artificially through insertion of, well, dirt. Which would lead to more bleeding. But then no one knows what is going on in Africa.
The largest growing group of new HIV infections is among women, and the largest group of people infected with HIV in Africa always has been women. This is normally through semen, but blood is often involved, especially when it involves a victim of FGM.

HeiGou
05-30-2006, 11:44 AM
The largest growing group of new HIV infections is among women, and the largest group of people infected with HIV in Africa always has been women. This is normally through semen, but blood is often involved, especially when it involves a victim of FGM.
Well the problem with Africa remains that no one really knows what is going on there. But apart from that I do not disagree with much of that. As for the West, well America is exceptional again, but from the US government,

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/factsheets/womenhiv.htm

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), between 2000 through 2004, the estimated number of AIDS cases in the United States increased 10 percent among females and 7 percent among males. In 2004, women accounted for 27 percent of the 44,615 newly reported AIDS cases among adults and adolescents. HIV disproportionately affects African-American and Hispanic women. Together they represent less than 25 percent of all U.S. women, yet they account for more than 79 percent of AIDS cases in women.

>deletions<

TRANSMISSION

Transmission of HIV to Women

In the United States, most women are infected with HIV during sex with an HIV-infected man or while using HIV-contaminated syringes for the injection of drugs such as heroin, cocaine, and amphetamines. Of the new HIV infections diagnosed among women in the United States in 2004, CDC estimated 70 percent were attributed to heterosexual contact and 28 percent to injection drug use.

In this country, studies have shown that during unprotected heterosexual intercourse with an HIV-infected partner, women have a greater risk of becoming infected than uninfected men who have heterosexual intercourse with an HIV-infected woman. In other parts of the world, however, this is not necessarily true. In Uganda, for example, one study demonstrated that the risk of HIV transmission from woman to man was the same as from man to woman. This difference may be due to the lack of circumcision in Ugandan men.

Studies in both the United States and abroad have demonstrated that STIs, particularly infections that cause ulcerations of the vagina (for example, genital herpes, syphilis, and chancroid), greatly increase a woman's risk of becoming infected with HIV. NIAID-sponsored cohort studies in the United States have also found a number of other factors to be associated with an increased risk of heterosexual HIV transmission, including alcohol use, history of childhood sexual abuse, current domestic abuse, and use of crack/cocaine.

Clearly something very odd is going on in the African-American and Hispanic communities. It may have to do with a reduced ability to say no to certain high risk behaviours. But HIV infection is still associated with a range of pathologies. As infection is self-reported, and many people may not want to admit to behaviours other than heterosexual sex, even these figures have to be treated with caution. However, generally speaking, it seems clear: HIV is associated with drug use and anal intercourse. It is difficult, in the West, for a woman to get it through normal heterosexual intercourse - especially if she is white, it is much harder for a man do to so. Which is not saying that men, especially white men, ought to go out there and do what they like, but the risks have to be weighed up carefully.

From Wikipedia

Estimated per act risk for acquisition of HIV by exposure route[13]
Exposure Route Estimated infections per 10,000 exposures to an infected source
Blood Transfusion 9,000[14]
Childbirth 2,500 [15]
Needle-sharing injection drug use- 67 [16]
Receptive anal intercourse* 50 [17][18]
Percutaneous needle stick 30 [19]
Receptive penile-vaginal intercourse* 10 [17][18][20]
Insertive anal intercourse* 6.5 [17][18]
Insertive penile-vaginal intercourse* 5 [17][18]
Receptive fellatio* 1 [18]
Insertive fellatio* 0.5 [18]

*Assuming no condom use

Obviously Europe, with smaller high risk groups of African-American and Hispanic women, is going to report even lower rates.

root
05-30-2006, 11:47 AM
NJUSA - The largest growing group of new HIV infections is among women, and the largest group of people infected with HIV in Africa always has been women. This is normally through semen, but blood is often involved, especially when it involves a victim of FGM.
NJUSA - HIV is found in a few bodily fluids that come in contact with other people. They are:
Blood
Semen
Vaginal Secretions
Breast Milk
HIV is also found in spinal fluid,
Hi NJUSA,

Just so as to dispell any misconceptions so we are all very clear;

1. You must be exposed to pre-cum, semen, vaginal secretions, blood or breast milk,

AND

2. The virus must get directly into your bloodstream through some fresh cut, open sore, abrasion etc.,

AND

3. Transmission must occur, directly from one person to the other, very quickly (the virus does not survive more than a few minutes outside the body).

AvarAllahNoor
05-30-2006, 11:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emir Aziz
do you know that depressed AIDS victims now inject their blood with syringes into innocent poeple in crowded places?

It's been reported to have happend in some cinemas. A needle is left on the seat!

*Shudders*

Woodrow
05-30-2006, 02:54 PM
I've heard of similar things happening here in the States. The motivations are usually very similar. Here it seems to usually be a person who finds out he has been infected with the disease, and out of anger tries to seek revenge on everybody.

NJUSA
05-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Hi NJUSA,

Just so as to dispell any misconceptions so we are all very clear;

1. You must be exposed to pre-cum, semen, vaginal secretions, blood or breast milk,

AND

2. The virus must get directly into your bloodstream through some fresh cut, open sore, abrasion etc.,

AND

3. Transmission must occur, directly from one person to the other, very quickly (the virus does not survive more than a few minutes outside the body).
Thanks for the reminder- I used to work as a reproductive health counselor, and I guess I just assume those things, but I forgot that not everyone does.

samobosna96
05-30-2006, 11:15 PM
actually i have seen a documentary called the origin of aids that i am trying to download off emule that aired on the CBC's The Passionate Eye. It gives scholarly evidence of the true origin of aids which is the Polio vaccine. the polio vccine was developed by an american doctor who used the intestines of that chimp in question. he grounded up the intestines because there was this chemical or something that was only known to be found in the intestines of these chimps to makle the vaccine. as disgusting and far fetched as it sounds if you do some research on the polio vaccine you will find out its gruesume history. in any event that is why the first aids cvases showed in africa. the things about the hunters and such is also plausable but I would say it is the polio vaccine.

searchingsoul
05-31-2006, 04:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nurofislam
i saw a video last week that showed that HIV might not really be the cause of AIDS and that HIV patients are given medication that might somehow lead to the cause of AIDS. i dont think its true but the video definitely raises questions.

It does raise a lot of valid questions. I first became aware of this claim while working for the diagnostic company which produces the majority of the HIV test kits. I researched the claim a bit and now have many questions...:?

http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/index.htm

syilla
05-31-2006, 07:52 AM
is it true... that the breast milk of other mother can cure the HIV babies.

Here in Malaysia there is one lady and she open her own orphanage home for the HIV children...and some actually become HIV -ve.

I admire her.

HeiGou
05-31-2006, 08:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by samobosna96
actually i have seen a documentary called the origin of aids that i am trying to download off emule that aired on the CBC's The Passionate Eye. It gives scholarly evidence of the true origin of aids which is the Polio vaccine. the polio vccine was developed by an american doctor who used the intestines of that chimp in question. he grounded up the intestines because there was this chemical or something that was only known to be found in the intestines of these chimps to makle the vaccine. as disgusting and far fetched as it sounds if you do some research on the polio vaccine you will find out its gruesume history. in any event that is why the first aids cvases showed in africa. the things about the hunters and such is also plausable but I would say it is the polio vaccine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDS#Origin_of_HIV

Although a variety of theories exist explaining the transfer of HIV to humans, there is no widely accepted scientific consensus of any single hypothesis and the topic remains controversial. Freelance journalist Tom Curtis discussed one currently controversial possibility for the origin of HIV/AIDS in a 1992 Rolling Stone magazine article. He put forward what is now known as the OPV AIDS hypothesis, which suggests that AIDS was inadvertently caused in the late 1950s in the Belgian Congo by Hilary Koprowski's research into a polio vaccine.[95] Although subsequently retracted due to libel issues surrounding its claims, the Rolling Stone article motivated another freelance journalist, Edward Hooper, to probe more deeply into this subject. Hooper's research resulted in his publishing a 1999 book, The River, in which he alleged that an experimental oral polio vaccine prepared using chimpanzee kidney tissue was the route through which simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV) crossed into humans to become HIV, thus starting the human AIDS pandemic.[96]

To grow a virus is difficult. It needs a medium of living tissue. The claim is that the research in the Congo used Chimpanzee kidney tissue to grow polio which was then injected into humans. I find it plausible as a theory, but I think that there is little evidence of it.

The first HIV cases turned up in San Francisco actually. It was only later that people realised Africa has a huge problem. This is because there is no real health care in Africa whereas America is another matter.

SirZubair
05-31-2006, 10:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emir Aziz
I know a guy who walked up to a prostitute to offer her some money (not for sex,..he wanted some of her time so that he could talk to her and try to talk her out of what she is doing) (this is in Fiji by the way) and she chased him around with a syringe which looked like it was full of blood.

SirZubair
05-31-2006, 10:28 AM
As for those that believe that Aids is something created in a lab,..you'll believe anything.

..guess what? Nike is haram.

...see what i mean? :rollseyes

NJUSA
05-31-2006, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
is it true... that the breast milk of other mother can cure the HIV babies.

Here in Malaysia there is one lady and she open her own orphanage home for the HIV children...and some actually become HIV -ve.

I admire her.
Here's what happens with infants. Infants are born with all of the antibodies that their mothers have, so while they may have the antibodies, they may not have the virus itself in them. If they are not exposed to the virus, either through the mother's blood during birth, or through her breast milk, once the kids develop their own antibodies, they will no longer have HIV antibodies, and standard tests for HIV will deem them HIV negative. If they receive the virus itself, they will become infected, and they will develop their own antibodies to the virus. So, if an HIV + mother feeds her child on formula or the milk of an HIV- woman, the child would probably test positive for HIV antibodies at birth, but test negative by age 2 (I forget the exact age, but it's between 1-2 years). There is nothing that can "cure" HIV in anyone who is infected with the virus itself. There are things that help prevent mother to child transmission, such as taking antivirals during pregnancy, not breastfeeding and the like. (NB: I say "cure" b/c curing a viral infection is something that modern medicine isn't terribly good at yet.)

syilla
06-02-2006, 03:54 AM
Here's what happens with infants. Infants are born with all of the antibodies that their mothers have, so while they may have the antibodies, they may not have the virus itself in them. If they are not exposed to the virus, either through the mother's blood during birth, or through her breast milk, once the kids develop their own antibodies, they will no longer have HIV antibodies, and standard tests for HIV will deem them HIV negative. If they receive the virus itself, they will become infected, and they will develop their own antibodies to the virus. So, if an HIV + mother feeds her child on formula or the milk of an HIV- woman, the child would probably test positive for HIV antibodies at birth, but test negative by age 2 (I forget the exact age, but it's between 1-2 years). There is nothing that can "cure" HIV in anyone who is infected with the virus itself. There are things that help prevent mother to child transmission, such as taking antivirals during pregnancy, not breastfeeding and the like. (NB: I say "cure" b/c curing a viral infection is something that modern medicine isn't terribly good at yet.)
thank you...

:sister:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.