/* */

PDA

View Full Version : -: Majority of women convert to Islam - Gulf Daily News

babagrr
05-27-2006, 12:07 PM
By BEGENA GEORGE

SEVENTY-five women converted to Islam from January to this month with the help of Discover Islam's Ladies Section.

The women's nationalities included British, Russian, Indian, Sri Lankan, Filipina, Ethiopian, Bangladeshi, and Thais.

They were also enrolled in classes about Islam, answering their queries and providing moral support.

The women who believed in and thus converted to the Islamic way of life and faith came from different walks of life.

"My husband, who is a Bahraini and believes in Islam, has never asked or even mentioned about me converting because he did not want to pressure me in to
anything," said a British woman, who did not wish to be named.

"I have been in Bahrain for 22 years now and been married to him for 20 years, and after all these years I feel that my destiny is Islam.

"I used to be a Christian Protestant, but it is now that I am experiencing inner peace.

"Though I haven't started wearing the abaya yet, I do read and study the Quran regularly.

"I have been going for Arabic classes for quite some time now and it is there that I was introduced to the Quran and I started exploring the new me."

Another converter is a Filipina woman who has changed her name from Marissa Dulay to Samira Dulay.

She has been in Bahrain for 16 years working first at Al Bustan Hotel and Resorts' administrative department and with the Saleh Al Medfa Law Office at Al
Dana.

"I have been studying Islam for more than a year now and the members of the Discover Islam Ladies Section have managed to clear all my queries about the
religion," said Ms Dulay, a Christian Catholic.

"My family who is in the Philippines were a little shocked when they heard my decision at first, but now they are happy when they realised how happy I am.

"I have already started wearing the abaya and my next hope is that if I do get married, it has to be to a Muslim man.

Discover Islam Ladies Section member Fathima Maka said the women were never persuaded by the centre to convert and that it was their personal decision.

"However, we do all that we can to teach those who approach us about Islam.

"Some of them don't come back and some do to know more and more.

"I also know some people who have been inspired to convert after visiting the Al Fateh Islamic Centre in Juffair."

Member Saher Jawed said many of the women were married to Muslim Bahrainis.

"Many are also working as house-maids with Muslim families and that is how they start observing the Islamic way of life and feel the need to know more.

"Only when we are sure that they are fully aware of what they are accepting into their life and it is something which cannot be reversed, do we take them
to the next step."

A get-together was organised for the newly converted women by Discover Islam at the Ladies Section villa in Manama.

The chief guest of the event was Social Development Minister Dr Fatima Al Balooshi, who welcomed the women who embraced Islam and encouraged them to learn
and practise the religion.
source URL:
http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=144511&Sn=BNEW&IssueID=29067

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ummAbdillah
05-27-2006, 12:12 PM
salaam :)
manshallah may allah continue to increase our ummah
ameen
jazak allah khair for sharing
wa salaam

glo
05-27-2006, 12:13 PM
That's an interesting post, babagrr.
I will try and follow the link.

Do you know any more about this group, Discover Islam's Ladies Section? Perhaps I will try to google it ...
I have been wondering for a while what motivates young women especially to convert to Islam.

Thank you. :)

ummAbdillah
05-27-2006, 12:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
That's an interesting post, babagrr.
I will try and follow the link.

Do you know any more about this group, Discover Islam's Ladies Section? Perhaps I will try to google it ...
I have been wondering for a while what motivates young women especially to convert to Islam.
Thank you. :)
salaam :)
i hope these help :)
http://pictures.care2.com/view/2/118687598
http://www.themodernreligion.com/women/w_whyconvert.htm
http://www.islamway.com/sisters/modu...rticle&sid=217
http://www.islamfortoday.com/british_women.htm
wa salaam :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
05-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Thank you for those. :)
Recently I was looking for some neutral research/ information on this. Religious articles on the topic tend to be biased - I'm sure you know what I mean.
In fact, I posted a link ... don't know where it is now. It was a very interesting article, which appeared on a Muslim and a Christian site - which I thought gave it some credibility. :)

If I find it, I'll edit a link into this post ...

..found it. The post is a bit lengthy, but the links are there. I hope it works.
http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...+convert+Islam

Peace.

Umm Yoosuf
05-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Thats not suprsing at all...most converts are women and of a young age too...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.