/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Hinduism fiction?

Truth
05-27-2006, 07:35 PM
From a historical perspective, Hinduism does seem as if it was created to retain political and social order. Through the caste system, each person stay in her or her social status with hopes of getting up the stairs of the caste system after they die. That is why the Dravidians were always under control.

Also, notice that Hinduism believes in reincarnation and that humans can be reborn as animals. When I ask a Hindu what he/she was in the previous life, ALL fail to answer? So how can they believe in reincarnation if they dont know such an 'obvious' answer?

Also, the caste system was an integral component of Hinduism. Yet, the Indian Govt BANNED the practice. Although I agree that this practice is barbaric, this proves that Hindus are abandoning doctrines of their own faith as they wish.

Finally --- Sati. If it wasnt for foreign invaders (Mugals and British), this practice of Hindusim would still very much be alive. How can a religion justify the burning of widows?

What also makes Hinduism quite dubious is that they have thousands of gods/godesses, just like in Greek Mythology. How can any person with brains believe in such a primitive faith?

Thank God Hinduism is limited only to India, and is decreasing in size.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
05-27-2006, 08:00 PM
This is just my viewpoint. I just feel it is not advantageous to point out what we see as "error" in another belief. I see it as more constructive to say what is right in my own belief and say why I believe what I believe is true.

It is impossible to prove why another belief is wrong, all we do is reinforce that belief.

Most religious debates end up as a circular agguement. Person A says my religion is true. Person B says How do you know it is True. Person A answers because the Writings I read say it is. Person B asks How do you know The writings are true, Person A answers because it says so in the writings.

In my view the strongest arguement I have for my beliefs is to show what I found to be true. When I show that, there is no need to say any other belief is false. If a person accepts my proofs, there is no need to say their belief is false.

Comparing religions is a good thing to do, but it must be done in a non-judgemental factual manner, with no input from our personal feelings.

Truth
05-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Why cant we compare? After all, the word of God is flawless.

Looking4Peace
05-27-2006, 08:08 PM
It is not write to pick on another religion, most hindus are born hindus (born into the religion from family) and its just their way of life. What they do is their business is always my stance on things. Also you are right that it is mostly limited to India, Buddhism is more commonly practiced, but this came out of hinduism.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Atif_aus
05-27-2006, 08:12 PM
yes it is fiction

aamirsaab
05-27-2006, 08:22 PM
:sl:
I don't think it is any of our places to criticise other religions. Are we not all human beings? Do we not all breath the same air? Please, show some respect to other faiths and their followers by not producing hate-threads like this.

snakelegs
05-27-2006, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Truth
From a historical perspective, Hinduism does seem as if it was created to retain political and social order. Through the caste system, each person stay in her or her social status with hopes of getting up the stairs of the caste system after they die. That is why the Dravidians were always under control.

Also, notice that Hinduism believes in reincarnation and that humans can be reborn as animals. When I ask a Hindu what he/she was in the previous life, ALL fail to answer? So how can they believe in reincarnation if they dont know such an 'obvious' answer?

Also, the caste system was an integral component of Hinduism. Yet, the Indian Govt BANNED the practice. Although I agree that this practice is barbaric, this proves that Hindus are abandoning doctrines of their own faith as they wish.

Finally --- Sati. If it wasnt for foreign invaders (Mugals and British), this practice of Hindusim would still very much be alive. How can a religion justify the burning of widows?

What also makes Hinduism quite dubious is that they have thousands of gods/godesses, just like in Greek Mythology. How can any person with brains believe in such a primitive faith?

i think you should be more respectful of other people's religions. hinduism is obviously not fiction to those who practice it. if you have issues with it, maybe you should join a hindu forum and ask them these questions.

Truth
05-27-2006, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i think you should be more respectful of other people's religions. hinduism is obviously not fiction to those who practice it. if you have issues with it, maybe you should join a hindu forum and ask them these questions.
How does speaking the truth make me disrespectful?

snakelegs
05-27-2006, 08:49 PM
How does speaking the truth make me disrespectful?
because to a hindu, hinduism is true. though as far as i know, hinduism claims no monopoly on The Truth like islam and christianity do, which, from my point of view is to their credit.
in my opinion one cannot prove The Truth when it comes to religion - it is a matter of faith. (i'm sure many here would disagree).
does it sound disrespectful to you if i were to substitute "islam" or "christianity" in place of "hinduism" in your subject title?
i do agree with what you wrote about the caste system however. sadly it has not disappeared even among south asians who have left hinduism.

aamirsaab
05-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Oisky poisky. Look bro, no benefit will come out from this thread. It'll just turn into a hate-thread and thus will only serve to push people away from Islam.

Just because you know the truth and are able to tell the truth, doesn't mean you have to.

Woodrow
05-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Comparisson is fine and should be done. Judgement is when we err and open ourselves up for falsehoods or making unprovable statement. I believe the OP would be clearer and free of of bias if it were written like this:

From a historical perspective, Hinduism retains political and social order. Through the caste system, each person stay in her or her social status with hopes of getting up the stairs of the caste system after they die.

Hinduism believes in reincarnation and that humans can be reborn as animals. I have not met any Hidus who were able to tell me what they were in a pst life.

In Hinduism, it is/was a common practice to cremate widows. Hinuism is poythistic and the practitioners worship many God/Goddesses

Hinduism is most prevelant in India, and is decreasing in size.

What I disagreed with in the OP as it was written:From a historical perspective, Hinduism does seem as if it was created to retain political and social order. Through the caste system, each person stay in her or her social status with hopes of getting up the stairs of the caste system after they die. That is why the Dravidians were always under control.

Judgement calls baised on the writers beliefs

Use of the word all, All is all encompossing and unprovable. One exception would be sufficient to label the writter as spreading falsehoods.

The statement is a personal opinion and was not quoted from verified established text.

Indicates a personal bias against Hinduism, Would be effective and verifiable to simply state Hindus practiced the burning of Widows.

Opinions, leave the impression that the writer's desire is to insult.

Woodrow
05-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Now to address the OP,

Truth, Your title was Valid. It asked a valid question and called for each reader to decide on their own. That was good.

The Poll is an excellent choice, again it gave readers the oportunity to express their own view.

Your zeal and enthusiasm in the text is admirable.

It is difficult to write a post that deals with religious beliefs without coming across as biased and prejudicial.

If that is your intent to convey a truth, I believe you will find it to be more effective to just state the provable, verifiable facts, that the belief acknowledges themselves. Allow the readers to either agree or disagree with out injecting your own opinions. To express your own opinions you could state what your own belief teaches, using the words of your own scripture. However those should be in a seperate paragraph or chapter. Such as:

Is Hiduism fiction?

Hindus practised cremating widows along with the husband

(completed paragraph)

(new Paragraph)

The teachings of (your beliefs, here called XXX)

XXX teaches that it is wrong to cremate widows.

Skillganon
05-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Here' I think this will be interesting to the poster's.

Link: Concept of God in Hinduism (comparitive study)

ISDhillon
05-27-2006, 10:52 PM
" Hinduism does seem as if it was created to retain political and social order. Through the caste system, each person stay in her or her social status with hopes of getting up the stairs of the caste system after they die."
hinduism is a build up of religious tradition that did indeed happen, the caste system was not their from its inception manu introduced this later on, the cycle of rejuvination involves avatars and yes they did come onto this earth.

"Also, notice that Hinduism believes in reincarnation and that humans can be reborn as animals. When I ask a Hindu what he/she was in the previous life, ALL fail to answer? So how can they believe in reincarnation if they dont know such an 'obvious' answer?"
can you prove to me exactly where you will be when your dead?, can you proove to me exactly where you came from prior to human birth?, accepting reicarnation does not require any proof of our past lives, but under regression some people can.

"Also, the caste system was an integral component of Hinduism. Yet, the Indian Govt BANNED the practice. Although I agree that this practice is barbaric, this proves that Hindus are abandoning doctrines of their own faith as they wish."
maybe banned but is practiced in nearly all indian villages. might i add that pakistani muslims adhere strictly to this practice of caste also.

"Finally --- Sati. If it wasnt for foreign invaders (Mugals and British), this practice of Hindusim would still very much be alive. How can a religion justify the burning of widows?"
but it still happens today, originally it was voluntary with time it was forced, i agree its wrong.

"What also makes Hinduism quite dubious is that they have thousands of gods/godesses, just like in Greek Mythology. How can any person with brains believe in such a primitive faith? "
its a richly diverse faith it is not one specific creed each tribe has their own god to just lump them in a basket and call it hinduism is not fair, they were the first people on this earth to learn the science of the soul through posture and beath control, they have added alot to this world i dont think its right to call them primitive many meditative practices derived from hinduism are still practiced today.

"Thank God Hinduism is limited only to India, and is decreasing in size"
well in uk their are these harekrishna people and they have been popping up all over the place especially london, i think i read somewhere about hindus in russia aswell, in usa their are a lot of light and sound groups which follow vedantic thought i could write more but youll get bored trust though the worship of idols may be stopping but thats a speck on the ocean of hinduism. Personally i find their gods freaky but i would never criticize them if their happy i'm happy.

ISDhillon:)

Truth
05-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Hindusim > Sikhism

ISDhillon
05-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Hindusim > Sikhism
care to elaborate?

I think you maybe a person who has had their account disabled?

Khaldun
05-27-2006, 11:14 PM

9. Beef will not be tolerated in any forum. Differences in opinion are expected, but please debate respectfully. (Beef are comments made for the purpose of insulting somebody else with negative intent, looking for a negative reaction, or blatantly insulting somebody)

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.