/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Speak a good word, or remain silent

Far7an
04-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Bismillah wal Hamdulillah

Abû Hurayrah relates that Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should speak a good word or remain silent. And whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his neighbor. And whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest.” (Bukhari and muslim)

This is just a small reminder to myself and my fellow members. It is important that we treat all our members considerately and not to cause any offence.

"Not a word does he (or she) utter, but there is a watcher by him ready (to record it)."
(surah Qaf, ayah 18)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“The Muslim does not slander, curse, speak obscenely or speak rudely.” (Bukhari and Muslim)

I have also noticed many people many resort to swearing by the name of Allah (SWT) or one of His attribute in order to confirm a statement. This is a bad habit that should be resisted. The name of Allah should not be used so lightly, and to swear by it is a very serious matter.

Barakallahu feekum

Wasalamu 'alaikum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
04-27-2005, 09:10 PM
A very important reminder, mash'Allah. Often we get carried away in our discussions, and we really need to practice this.

:w:

Arwa
04-27-2005, 10:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
A very important reminder, mash'Allah. Often we get carried away in our discussions, and we really need to practice this.

I agree :sister:

Ra`eesah
04-28-2005, 06:39 AM
Assalamu'ALaykum

Lalillaah ila anta Subhanak inney kuntu minal thaleymen. :'(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sahabiyaat
04-28-2005, 07:40 AM
:thumbs_up yes a very gud reminder
the tounge has led many to the fire
most of us cant help it ( :-[ ) but if we come to realise the full consequences i'm sure it will help us to restrain ourselves.

Far7an
05-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Assalamu 'alaikum

We do not object to members debating however you will need to adhere to the forum rules.

I will point a few of them out InshaAllah

1. Beef will not be tolerated in any forum. Differences in opinion are expected, but please debate respectfully.

2. Beef are comments made for the purpose of insulting somebody else with negative intent, looking for a negative reaction, or blatantly insulting somebody.

11. No sectarian issues allowed. We are promoting the unity of Islam. Allah (Exalted is He) said in Surah Al-An'âm, verse 159:
Verily, those who divide their religion and break up into sects (all kinds of religious sects), you (O Muhammad -- Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) have no concern in them in the least. Their affair is only with Allâh, Who then will tell them what they used to do.

This is not directed at anyone specifically rather all the members should take note of this InshaAllah.

Barakallahu feekum

wasalamu 'alaikum

Umm Yoosuf
05-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Masha Alla excellent reminder. Barakallahu Feek.

General_Mujahid
05-03-2005, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by farhan247
Bismillah wal Hamdulillah

Abû Hurayrah relates that Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should speak a good word or remain silent. And whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his neighbor. And whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest.” (Bukhari and muslim)

This is just a small reminder to myself and my fellow members. It is important that we treat all our members considerately and not to cause any offence.

"Not a word does he (or she) utter, but there is a watcher by him ready (to record it)."
(surah Qaf, ayah 18)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“The Muslim does not slander, curse, speak obscenely or speak rudely.” (Bukhari and Muslim)

I have also noticed many people many resort to swearing by the name of Allah (SWT) or one of His attribute in order to confirm a statement. This is a bad habit that should be resisted. The name of Allah should not be used so lightly, and to swear by it is a very serious matter.

Barakallahu feekum

Wasalamu 'alaikum

Salaam

Excellent reminder.

Ma'salaama

Ibn Syed
05-03-2005, 10:59 PM
:sl:
Great thread with great reminders. Should be used by all.

Far7an
06-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Assalamu 'alaikum

To those members who have not already done so, please read this. :)

Barakallahu feekum

Khayal
06-03-2005, 08:52 PM
:sl: Wr Wb

Great thread with great reminders. Should be used InshaAllah. :rose:

:w: Wr Wb

أحمد
06-03-2005, 08:57 PM

:zip: A small piece of flesh could be the difference between entering paradise or hell . . .

Mali Princess
07-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Assallammu'alaikum brothers and sisters

mash'Allah, this is Great thread with A very important reminder.

Barakallahu feekum

Mz_LeBaNoN69
08-15-2005, 05:24 AM
r all of u saying that u dnt back bite its just a qtn dnt get angry

Uthman
08-19-2005, 06:17 PM

Excellent reminder :D

Far7an
08-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Please read the following too InshaAllah

Speak a good word or remain silent

#aFrOgUrL#
09-04-2005, 07:59 AM
vry vry good remider thx for that

Afr!can angel
09-06-2005, 11:44 PM
wat happenend to my thread its gone!!!!!!!! but its so wakening this thread subhanallh! SPEAK A GOOD WORD OR REMAIN SILENT! :) :D :wilted_ro

ChasingRainbows
09-20-2005, 03:35 AM
Salam Alaikum,

I read this and I am most certainly going to abide by it.

2. Beef are comments made for the purpose of insulting somebody else with negative intent, looking for a negative reaction, or blatantly insulting somebody.
I just couldn't help but notice this, the people with negetive comments or who have beef are usually the low calibre-type people and they throw comments like that at high-calibre-type people usually looking for a reaction so they can say I got into a fight with so and so or so and so said this to me. For this reason those of us who are blessed should remain silent. Surely there must be another way for the low-calibre people to raise themselves. And the low-calibre people know exactly who they are.

Malaikah
09-27-2005, 02:24 AM
alahmdulilah, thanks for the reminder.. and particularily the hadeeth:
i find this particualrely useful as i know many muslims who do actually do these things

Afr!can angel
09-28-2005, 03:44 AM
peace guys so true this thread!

bungi
09-30-2005, 09:54 AM
mashallah gr8 reminders

MetSudaisTwice
09-30-2005, 10:23 AM
salam
mashallah great thread and jazakallah for the reminder
wasalam

wasim134
10-01-2005, 11:26 AM
yeah mashallah g8 reminder

Bass
10-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Thanx for da reminder Bro

beans
10-11-2005, 07:00 PM
jazakallah for this reminder man, i just can't stand it when i see a muslim speaking rude to other peope, i don't care if you live in NY, or D.C, or if no one else says excuse me or thank you, its no excuse.

Sadia25
10-11-2005, 10:51 PM
jazakallahul-khair for the reminder..
good reminder.

Idris
10-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Mashaa Allah. THANKS FOR THE REMINDER BRO ;)

Muslim_SistaH
10-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Thank u for the reminder

hidaayah
02-06-2006, 01:18 PM
"Speak a good word or remain silent"

"Speak a good word or remain silent"

Abû Hurayrah relates that Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: "Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should speak a good word or remain silent. And whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his neighbor. And whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest." [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim ]

The importance of this hadith:

This hadith discusses some of the ways a Muslim's faith should affect the way he relates to others. Ibn Hajar al-`Asqalânî writes: "This hadith speaks about three matters, and in doing so it brings together everything that good manners entail with respect to both word and deed."

Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day…

This is a conditional sentence. It is repeated three times in this hadith, each time with a different condition. The first of these three conditions is to either speak a good word or remain silent, the second is to show hospitality to one's neighbors, and the third is to show hospitality to one's guests. This hadith is showing us that these three qualities are among the many qualities of faith. A person who fails to fulfill any of these conditions is a person whose faith is incomplete and in want of improvement.

Speaking a good word or remaining silent:

This is an encouragement to speak what is good and beneficial; at the same time it is a warning, cautioning us to be careful in what we say, lest we say something that is harmful or false.

It is part of a Muslim's faith to speak the truth and to say things that bring about benefit to others. Allah says: "O you who believe! Fear Allah and speak a word that is right. He will set right for you your deeds and forgive you your sins. And whoever obeys Allah and His Messenger has certainly attained a great achievement." [ Sûrah al-Ahzâb : 70-71]

Allah informs us in the Qur'ân some of what constitutes good in our speech and benefits other people. He says: "No good is there in much of their private conversation, except for those who enjoin charity or that which is right, or bring reconciliation between people. And whoever does that seeking Allah's pleasure, then we shall grant him a great reward." [ Sûrah al-Nisâ' : 114]

When we have nothing beneficial to say, silence is golden. Once, Mu`âdh b. Jabal asked the Prophet (peace be upon him) to inform him of some good work that would admit him into Paradise and distance him from the Hellfire. The Prophet (peace be upon him) mentioned to him the virtues of many good deeds, then said: "Shall I inform you of the foundation of all of that?"

Mu`âdh said: "Certainly."

The Prophet (peace be upon him) took hold of his tongue and said: "Restrain yourself from this."

Mu`âdh then asked: "O Prophet of Allah! Are we held to task for the things that we say?"

The Prophet (peace be upon him) replied: "May your mother be bereaved of you, O Mu`âdh! Does anything topple people headlong into the Hellfire save the harvests of their tongues?" [ Sunan al-Tirmidhî and Sunan Ibn Mâjah ]

We should avoid speaking ill of others. We should rather remain silent unless we are seeking justice for some wrong that has been perpetrated against us. Allah says: "Allah does not like that evil should be mentioned in public except by one who has been done injustice. And Allah is all-hearing, all-knowing." [ Sûrah al-Nisâ' : 148]

Our tongues are like double-edges swords. They can work for us and against us, both in this world and the Hereafter. We will be held accountable for what we say. Allah tells us: "He does not utter a statement except that there is an observer by him ready to record it." [ Sûrah Qâf : 18]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "Indeed a servant will speak a word pleasing to Allah that he thinks to be insignificant, but because of it Allah raises him by many degrees. And indeed a servant will speak a word displeasing to Allah that he thinks to be insignificant, but because of it, He will consign him to the Hellfire." [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî ]

We must be vigilant not to speak falsehood. We must think about what we are saying and the possible consequences of our words before we go ahead and speak. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "A man might speak a word without thinking about its implications, but because of it, he will plunge into the Hellfire further than the distance between the east and west." [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim ]

Al-Nawawî comments on the meaning of this hadith, saying: "This hadith encourages us to guard our tongues. A person who wants to speak should think upon what he is about to say before he utters it. If it then shows itself to have some benefit to it, he may speak it; otherwise he should refrain from doing so."

Showing hospitality to the neighbor and the guest:

From the perfection of a person's faith is his showing kindness to those with whom he has dealings, especially his neighbors and his guests.

Allah says: "Worship Allah and associate nothing with Him, and show kindness to parents, relatives, orphans, the poor, the near neighbor, the distant neighbor, the companion at your side, the traveler, and those whom your right hands possess. Indeed, Allah does not like those who are conceited and boastful." [ Sûrah al-Nisâ' : 36]

Islam emphasizes the right of the neighbor. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "Gabriel continued to impress upon me the rights of the neighbor until I thought that he would soon confer upon him the right of inheritance." [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

There are many forms that this hospitality can take. It can take the form of help in times of need. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "He is not a believer who lets himself be satiated while his neighbor goes hungry." [ Mustadrak al-Hâkim ]

It can mean making allowances for the neighbor's needs, even by waiving some of one's own rights. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "None of you should prevent his neighbor from placing his rafter in his wall." [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim ]

It can take the form of gift giving. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "O Muslim women! None of you should consider insignificant a gift that you give to your neighbor, even if it is but the trotters of a sheep." [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim ]

Islam teaches us to be generous and hospitable to those who come to us as guests. Indeed, those who come to our homes have a right over us. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest according to his right."

He was asked: "What is his right, O Messenger of Allah?"

The Prophet (peace be upon him) answered: "It is (to offer the best) for a day and a night, and hospitality extends for three days. What is beyond that is charity." [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim ]

Helena
05-27-2006, 07:38 PM

Allaah the Most High says:

“Not a word does one utter, except that there is an (angel) Watching, Ready to record it.” [Surah Qaaf: 18]

Know that every individual who falls under the category of being responsible for his actions (mukallaf) must safeguard his tongue from all types of speech , except for that speech which consists primarily of some benefit.

So when speaking and refraining from speech are both found to contain the same amount of benefit within them, then the Sunnah is to refrain from it, altogether. This is because the allowable speech (equal in benefit and harm) paves the way towards that which is forbidden as well as disliked. Rather, in most cases, this will be the outcome and applying safety, at that point, will not be able to soothe it in the least.

Abu Hurairah (ra - may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam - may the peace & blessings of Allah be upon him) said:

"Whosoever believes in Allaah and the Last Day, then let him speak good or remain silent."
[Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree]

This hadeeth, of which the scholars have agreed upon its authenticity, is a clear proof that one should not talk, unless his speech is good—and that is the speech that consists primarily of benefit. So if one has doubt as to whether or not his speech consists of benefit, then he should not speak. Imaam Ash-Shaafi'ee (rahimahullaah - may Allah have mercy upon him) said: "When one desires to talk, then it is upon him to think before he speaks. If there is beneficial good in what he will say, then he should speak. And if he has doubt about that, then he must not speak until he clears that doubt (by making his speech good)."

Abu Moosaa Al-Ash'aree (ra) said:

"I said: 'O Messenger of Allaah Which of the Muslims is best?' He (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said: 'He whose tongue and hand the Muslims are safe from.'"
[Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim]

Sahl Ibn Sa'ad (ra) reported that the Messenger of Allaah (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

"Whosoever can guarantee for me (that he will safeguard) what is between his jaws (tongue) and what is between his legs (private parts), I will guarantee for him Paradise."
[Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree]

Abu Hurairah (ra) reported that he heard the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam)

say:

"Indeed, the servant will speak a word, while being unaware of (its consequences), and due to it, he will be cast into the Hellfire, farther than the distance between the east and the west."
[Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim]

The meaning of "while being unaware" is that he does not stop to consider whether his speech is good or not.

Sufyaan Ibn 'Abdillaah (ra) reported that he said:

"O Messenger of Allaah (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) , tell me of a matter that I may cling tightly onto.' He (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said: 'Say: I believe in Allaah and then remain steadfast (upon that).’ I said: 'O Messenger of Allaah (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) , what is the most serious thing that I should fear for myself?' So he (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) took a hold of his tongue and said: 'This.'"
[An authentic hadeeth reported by At-Tirmidhee, Ibn Maajah and others]

'Uqbah Ibn 'Aamir (ra) reported:

"I said: 'O Messenger of Allaah (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) , how does one attain salvation?' He said: 'Restrain your tongue, remain in your home and weep over your sins.'"
[An authentic hadeeth reported by Ibn Al-Mubaarak in Az-Zuhd and it has support in Ahmad]

Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudree (ra) reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

“When the Son of Aadam wakes from his sleep, all of his body parts seek refuge from his tongue, saying: ‘Fear Allaah with regard to us, for indeed we are part of you. So if you are correct, then we will be correct and if you are corrupted, then we shall be corrupted.”
[A hasan hadeeth reported by At-Tirmidhee and others]

Any views inshalah...

:w: :)

afriend
05-28-2006, 09:12 PM
MashAllah, enjoyed reading your thread sister!

There is much to be learnt from this article.

Pk_#2
05-28-2006, 10:17 PM
AsalamuAlaykum jazaks sis..nice article mashaAllah :)

arehat
05-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Mashallah very benificial post may we all take head frm it Ameen

Pk_#2
05-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Ameen

BlissfullyJaded
06-01-2006, 05:05 AM

Jazakallah khair A sister and brother Far7an. :thumbs_up

InshaAllah we will take heed and think before we speak. :)

Umm Yoosuf
06-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Threads merged.

Mujahidah4Allah
08-10-2006, 12:26 PM

that was excellent reminder bro jazakAllah khair for sharing it :)

ma'salamah

pasionatemumina
02-06-2008, 10:09 PM
very tru and good reminder

Najm
02-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Auzubillahi-Minash shaitwaanir rajeem. Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem

AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Abû Hurayrah relates that Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said:
“Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should speak a good word or remain silent. And whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his neighbor. And whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest.”
[ Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim ]

The importance of this hadith:

This hadith discusses some of the ways a Muslim's faith should affect the way he relates to others. Ibn Hajar al-`Asqalânî writes: “This hadith speaks about three matters, and in doing so it brings together everything that good manners entail with respect to both word and deed.”

Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day…

This is a conditional sentence. It is repeated three times in this hadith, each time with a different condition. The first of these three conditions is to either speak a good word or remain silent, the second is to show hospitality to one's neighbors, and the third is to show hospitality to one's guests. This hadith is showing us that these three qualities are among the many qualities of faith. A person who fails to fulfill any of these conditions is a person whose faith is incomplete and in want of improvement.

Speaking a good word or remaining silent:

This is an encouragement to speak what is good and beneficial; at the same time it is a warning, cautioning us to be careful in what we say, lest we say something that is harmful or false.

It is part of a Muslim's faith to speak the truth and to say things that bring about benefit to others. Allah says: “O you who believe! Fear Allah and speak a word that is right. He will set right for you your deeds and forgive you your sins. And whoever obeys Allah and His Messenger has certainly attained a great achievement.” [ Sûrah al-Ahzâb : 70-71]

Allah informs us in the Qur'ân some of what constitutes good in our speech and benefits other people. He says: “No good is there in much of their private conversation, except for those who enjoin charity or that which is right, or bring reconciliation between people. And whoever does that seeking Allah's pleasure, then we shall grant him a great reward.” [ Sûrah al-Nisâ' : 114]

When we have nothing beneficial to say, silence is golden. Once, Mu`âdh b. Jabal asked the Prophet (peace be upon him) to inform him of some good work that would admit him into Paradise and distance him from the Hellfire. The Prophet (peace be upon him) mentioned to him the virtues of many good deeds, then said: “Shall I inform you of the foundation of all of that?”

Mu`âdh said: “Certainly.”

The Prophet (peace be upon him) took hold of his tongue and said: “Restrain yourself from this.”

Mu`âdh then asked: “O Prophet of Allah! Are we held to task for the things that we say?”

The Prophet (peace be upon him) replied: “May your mother be bereaved of you, O Mu`âdh! Does anything topple people headlong into the Hellfire save the harvests of their tongues?” [ Sunan al-Tirmidhî and Sunan Ibn Mâjah ]

We should avoid speaking ill of others. We should rather remain silent unless we are seeking justice for some wrong that has been perpetrated against us. Allah says: “Allah does not like that evil should be mentioned in public except by one who has been done injustice. And Allah is all-hearing, all-knowing.” [ Sûrah al-Nisâ' : 148]

Our tongues are like double-edges swords. They can work for us and against us, both in this world and the Hereafter. We will be held accountable for what we say. Allah tells us: “He does not utter a statement except that there is an observer by him ready to record it.” [ Sûrah Qâf : 18]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Indeed a servant will speak a word pleasing to Allah that he thinks to be insignificant, but because of it Allah raises him by many degrees. And indeed a servant will speak a word displeasing to Allah that he thinks to be insignificant, but because of it, He will consign him to the Hellfire.” [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî ]

We must be vigilant not to speak falsehood. We must think about what we are saying and the possible consequences of our words before we go ahead and speak. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “A man might speak a word without thinking about its implications, but because of it, he will plunge into the Hellfire further than the distance between the east and west.” [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim ]

Al-Nawawî comments on the meaning of this hadith, saying: “This hadith encourages us to guard our tongues. A person who wants to speak should think upon what he is about to say before he utters it. If it then shows itself to have some benefit to it, he may speak it; otherwise he should refrain from doing so.”

Showing hospitality to the neighbor and the guest:

From the perfection of a person's faith is his showing kindness to those with whom he has dealings, especially his neighbors and his guests.

Allah says: “Worship Allah and associate nothing with Him, and show kindness to parents, relatives, orphans, the poor, the near neighbor, the distant neighbor, the companion at your side, the traveler, and those whom your right hands possess. Indeed, Allah does not like those who are conceited and boastful.” [ Sûrah al-Nisâ' : 36]

Islam emphasizes the right of the neighbor. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Gabriel continued to impress upon me the rights of the neighbor until I thought that he would soon confer upon him the right of inheritance.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

There are many forms that this hospitality can take. It can take the form of help in times of need. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “He is not a believer who lets himself be satiated while his neighbor goes hungry.” [ Mustadrak al-Hâkim ]

It can mean making allowances for the neighbor's needs, even by waiving some of one's own rights. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “None of you should prevent his neighbor from placing his rafter in his wall.” [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim ]

It can take the form of gift giving. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “O Muslim women! None of you should consider insignificant a gift that you give to your neighbor, even if it is but the trotters of a sheep.” [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim ]

Islam teaches us to be generous and hospitable to those who come to us as guests. Indeed, those who come to our homes have a right over us. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest according to his right.”

He was asked: “What is his right, O Messenger of Allah?”

The Prophet (peace be upon him) answered: “It is (to offer the best) for a day and a night, and hospitality extends for three days. What is beyond that is charity.” [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim ]

...Source...

FiAmaaniAllah

Green eyes
02-11-2009, 01:15 PM
good post

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.