/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Handbags and Hijabs

ahm
05-11-2005, 07:22 PM
:sl:

I saw something really weird. A hijabi sister with matching headscarf and handbag, the pattern of the cloth matched. Next to her was another woman, her head wasn't covered, yet she seemed more "modest" ????

I wouldn't be happy if my wife dressed like the hijabi sister, or if she had her head uncovered like the other lady. The hijabi sister's clothes were a bit too "fitted", is that the right word?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BlissfullyJaded
05-11-2005, 07:42 PM

Well... You don't know why the non hijaabi woman is not wearin hijaab. She could have a reason. Maybe her parents are not letting her, and she's tryin to convince them. Maybe she wasn't religios all her life, and she's slowly making the move towards wearing the hijaab.

Allahu a'lam!

May Allah SWT guide all our sisters to the right path and make it easy for them to obey Allah's commands.

Z
05-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

I see a lot of it. Hijab and handbags. Hijab and tight pants. Hijab and long skirts which some believe to be ok Islamicly. Hijab and short skirts, quite possibly?

I know most of the girls wear the hijab as a fashion statement. Like walking around showing your arse and covering you hair is being modest. I can't remember who said that to me now.

ahm
05-11-2005, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mm_ca04

Well... You don't know why the non hijaabi woman is not wearin hijaab. She could have a reason. Maybe her parents are not letting her, and she's tryin to convince them. Maybe she wasn't religios all her life, and she's slowly making the move towards wearing the hijaab.

Allahu a'lam!

May Allah SWT guide all our sisters to the right path and make it easy for them to obey Allah's commands.

No I meant the non-hijabi woman seemed more modest than the hijabi woman. Non-hijabi may not have been Muslim either anyway.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BlissfullyJaded
05-11-2005, 08:02 PM

Oh okay..! Sorry, I didn't know that!

Yep, I agree about the hijaab being a fashion statement for some. @_@

SaBiNa
05-11-2005, 08:05 PM
4 a married women it dsnt matta,if da hijab gal was mrried den it wudnt ad matta coz dat is allowd n islam

BlissfullyJaded
05-11-2005, 08:08 PM

Um, sis, what do you mean?? So once you're married the ayah regarding hijaab and modesty is null and void?? ???

Please provide proof for that dear sis...because I've truly never heard this before!

Z
05-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Please provide some evidence and elaborate more on what you said please. I don't quite understand.

Well I can't really tell if it's a fashion thing, but I do see days where a sister would where it, and others when she doesn't. I'm just assuming. :)

SaBiNa
05-11-2005, 08:16 PM
mmca4....if her husband lets her den she cud dress da way she wants if she goes out in jeans n a hijab dat dsnt matta coz her husband lets her so ppl cnt argue wiv dat..

Z
05-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Well sister, what if it's against the commands of Allah?

BlissfullyJaded
05-11-2005, 08:22 PM

Erm sister, Allah SWT commands us to be modest and wear hijaab. Its a fardh. And it is not mentioned in the Quran and Hadith as far as I know that you can dress immodestly because your husband said you can. On the contrary, when your husband commands you to do something un Islamic, you should NOT obey him. Obeying your Creator comes before obeying His creation. :)

Allahu a'lam!

SaBiNa
05-11-2005, 08:26 PM
abdul bro den dats da husbands fault coz hes gna get gunnah 4 dat but its nt da wifes fault dat she has 2 dress lyk dat shes makin her husband happy by bein lyk dat n allah says u av 2 keep ur husband happy 2 do these tingz

BlissfullyJaded
05-11-2005, 08:41 PM

This obedience should not involve disobeying Allaah. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience towards the Creator.”
Source

Far7an
05-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Assalamu alaikum

I agree with mm_ca's stance on this matter, Allah is to be obeyed before anyone else. That is clear from the hadith she has posted too.

I would like to advise members against posting comments without the correct knowledge, we may say something which contradicts the teachings of Islam. :)

Wasalamu alaikum

soulja-ess
05-11-2005, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul
Asalamu Alaikum

I see a lot of it. Hijab and handbags. Hijab and tight pants. Hijab and long skirts which some believe to be ok Islamicly. Hijab and short skirts, quite possibly?
uh brother are you sayin that some people think its islamically incorrect to wear a long skirt? or did i just get ya rong?

ahm
05-11-2005, 09:13 PM

Can we avoid too "ghetto" language.

:wa:

Zohra1001
05-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Assalamoualeïkoum :)

You are right brother ahm, that sometimes hijaabi muslima are not decents, but, really, I think that they are a minority, Allah commands to women to wear hijaab, it's a rule of Allah, it's a sin not to wear hijaab :( , but the no hijaabi muslima think according to these deviances, that they r better than hijaabi sisters (and maybe they r, Allahu ahlem) and it's another reason not to wear it. They will say: "oh see this sister, she wears hijaab but she doesn't dress properly, she doesn't pray, contrary to me, i pray and i wear decently, so my situation is better, and i can not wearing hijaab...."

I mean, that they may want to be different to these hijaabi muslima who are not "correct", and it's an excuse for not wearing it perhaps.....

I agree with what mm_ca04 says ;) , and sorry but not with sis Sabina :-[ , really sis i can't believe that a husband a muslim, who follows Allah'rules, who follows Allah'way, and message of the prophet saws can oblige his wife to go out with tiny jeans and court t-shirts, i can't believe it, sorry :-[

and pooor sister who is obliged to go out with such shamful clothes :'( :'( , lol, i can't believe that she doesn't want either to put these clothes :p :zip: ok i shut up now....
excuz me for my bad english :p

Assalamoualeïkoum :)

Ra`eesah
05-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

everyone here has a point... Mashallah...butttttttt there is something we missing out alot of u here already mentioned it but i will sya it again...

See only Allah knows whos modest and whos not dont jugde others by how they dress, that can be deciving yes of course Allah commanded us women to cover and lower our gaze..

Inshallah those sisters who are not covering can soon cover and those who are dressed up and matching inshallah they will get to know the true meaning of modesty Allah knows whats in the hearts and knows our intentions he is the all knowing all wise...

i know many sisters that cover/dont cover/wear pants and scarf/ wear abay and scarf/ wear niqab/ and all of them know that why should cover and all of them wise they could anywya i dont want to make this long but i know the sisters i know all wish to cover and please Allah but there is something that is stopping them and only Allah knows what that is...

So we are not here to say who is modest and who is not...

And also Allah is our creator if my husband (which i know he wont) tells me to take off my niqab because he doesnt like it... well ummm too bad.

(forgive me if i said anything that might offened you inshallah)

Zohra1001
05-11-2005, 10:24 PM
I wanted to add that the medias (films about women in Islam, news....)often give us also a very bad image of Islam, and i really think that contrary to what we see, what we always heard.... the not respectful hijaabi muslima are really a little minority....alhamdoulillah :)

MashaAllah in majority they r :thumbs_up , but we must not base our judgment on the appearance, i know, just Allah knows what there is in hearts and intentions, :) , but i wanted just to encourage sisters :sister: who wear hijaab :D , and also the ones who want to wear it inchAllah;).
Allah commands to us sisters to wear it :) , now it's true, that it is not enough at all.... but hijaab is not the problem......

Salam :rainbow:

Zohra1001
05-11-2005, 10:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 3washey
Assalamu'Alaykum

everyone here has a point... Mashallah...butttttttt there is something we missing out alot of u here already mentioned it but i will sya it again...

See only Allah knows whos modest and whos not dont jugde others by how they dress, that can be deciving yes of course Allah commanded us women to cover and lower our gaze..

Inshallah those sisters who are not covering can soon cover and those who are dressed up and matching inshallah they will get to know the true meaning of modesty Allah knows whats in the hearts and knows our intentions he is the all knowing all wise...

i know many sisters that cover/dont cover/wear pants and scarf/ wear abay and scarf/ wear niqab/ and all of them know that why should cover and all of them wise they could anywya i dont want to make this long but i know the sisters i know all wish to cover and please Allah but there is something that is stopping them and only Allah knows what that is...

So we are not here to say who is modest and who is not...

And also Allah is our creator if my husband (which i know he wont) tells me to take off my niqab because he doesnt like it... well ummm too bad.

(forgive me if i said anything that might offened you inshallah)
;) :applaud:

Tazkiyahtulnafs
05-11-2005, 10:59 PM
only Allah knows what in the breast of mankind we have not been given that knowledge and we should not judge a person based on their outer appearance because maybe insha'Allah in her heart she has iman and insha'Allah maybe oneday she will change Allah deos not judge a person according to their appearance but he examines their hearts
Forgive me if i said anything wrong
And may Allah forgive us all

psuedosalafi
05-11-2005, 11:12 PM
I dont see anything wrong with matching hijab and purse as long as it is not too eye catching. cuz then it defeats the purpose of hijab.

Asalamu Alaikum

I know most of the girls wear the hijab as a fashion statement. Like walking around showing your arse and covering you hair is being modest. I can't remember who said that to me now.
since when is wearing long skirts not islamic? Long skirts are better than pants... with pants you'd have to wear a jilbab or a long shirt so that it hides the curves.

Anything that is loose enough not to show the curves of the body should be good.
:thumbs_up

Ibn Syed
05-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Women should cover their hair and wear something that doesn't show the shape of their body to be an Islamic dress.

Abubakar
05-12-2005, 12:08 AM

Woman are commanded to dress modestly not to wear any particular style of clothing. They should cover their hair and cover their body not revealing the shape of the body.

I personally do not see anything wrong with matching scarf and handbag.

I like the idea of the husband instructing the wife what to wear, I might try this when I have a little more courage.

Peace

Z
05-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Asalamu Alaikum

Hijab and long skirts which some believe to be ok Islamicly
Keyword in that quote is some. I hope you know the meaning of that word and understand the context it's in. As much as I would love to, I can't answer you soulja-ess and psuedosalafi. Why? Simply because I can't voice someone else' answer.

Is that my opinion? No. Did I say it is non-Islamic? No. Can you see any of my views in there? No. Why bother taking it up with me?

It's become such a common thing in the Ummah where people just like to bicker over little things, yet they don't read and try to understand carefully before they even start questioning.

And these 'some' people, were talking about the long skirts which fit tightly around the lower body. I don't know who wants to wear them punk frilly type skirts which are in fashion at the moment.

S_87
05-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Asalamu Alaikum

. I don't know who wants to wear them punk frilly type skirts which are in fashion at the moment.

the gypsy style skirts you mean?
white is the best colour in them i think
they are better than the elastic skirts though..

Ra`eesah
05-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

yeaaaa!!! i saw those my friends wear them....

:omg:.... i think its best for muslim sisters because its wide and has no slits on the sides back or front.....

black is best...

black is always best color for a Sister

ahm
05-12-2005, 12:35 PM

Once there was a sister infront of me, I couldn't lower my gaze - I had to look up and away. She was wearing a long skirt, but you could see the outline of her underwear LOL Same goes for guys, trousers can be too tight and you shouldn't really tuck your shirt in.

Ra`eesah
05-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

:omg: thats soo :-[

ahm
05-12-2005, 01:05 PM

Doesn't have to be black. I mean wearing all black can make you stand out even more.

Ra`eesah
05-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

its not about standing out more, its how you stand out if i;m the only niqabi all in black an a white neighborhood then is that my fault...if i standout Alhamdulillaah in most case ok all the time i stand out and thats a form of Da'wa for me. i dont stand out to a an extent where men can see my body.

i think BLACK is the color for women
WHite for men

ppl might differ but... thats what i think some ppl might say you dont have to wear all black yes you dont HAVE to noone said u HAVE to i just said its better for women to wear black

Z
05-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

When wearing black, or covered in black, a shape is hard to figure. That's why women are advised to go out in black.

ahm
05-12-2005, 01:22 PM

What about navy?

Anyway, the sister was wearing black skirt and you could still see her underwear. I don't see black making any difference unless you are going out at night.

I think black is just a saudi thing.

I would have thought what's better for women would be what did not bring the gaze towards them.

Sahabiyaat
05-12-2005, 01:25 PM
i once saw a woman holding her hijab to her face whilst it was falling off her head
i take it thats culture not religion :)

Z
05-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Well black is also very unattractive.

Ra`eesah
05-12-2005, 01:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahm

What about navy?

Anyway, the sister was wearing black skirt and you could still see her underwear. I don't see black making any difference unless you are going out at night.

I think black is just a saudi thing.

I would have thought what's better for women would be what did not bring the gaze towards them.

kaseyatun A'areyat - they wear clothes but it is as if they are not weairng anything at all.... hmmm i see that TYPE of black

Black is a Saudi thing? what does that mean? do u also believe niqab is a Saudi thing aswell?

gaze will be brough no matter what... its what kind of gaze a women is brings to herself.....

MetSudaisTwice
05-12-2005, 01:41 PM
simple rule is to wear a full islamic dress whenever going out. how hard can it be? don't go with the flow be the flow

Sahabiyaat
05-12-2005, 01:50 PM
its not simple.
its very difficult for some to follow such a rule
because the desire to want what others have will always lead u astray.
but if ur strong in faith then u wnt have a problem and such vain desires just pass over ur head.

MetSudaisTwice
05-12-2005, 01:55 PM
then women shouldn't want what others want, they shouldn't be basing them selves on people unless they are good islamic role models. once you wear full islamic dress then you will soon get used to it and people will adapt to your clothing and will follow

Z
05-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

I'm still confused as to why we don't greet each other with salaam when starting a post. Is it too hard?

Sahabiyaat
05-12-2005, 02:05 PM
:) hey br. im talking about others here.....InshaAllah i dnt wear the full hijaab but i will soon ...may Allah help me to do it .Ameen

Sahabiyaat
05-12-2005, 02:07 PM
oh and by full hijab i mean the long jilbab
ofcourse i wear a hijab 4 my hair. duh.
i really look fwd to the day i start wearing the full jilbab,niqab etc.........i think i will luk my best infront of Allah (swt) that day.

ahm
05-12-2005, 02:10 PM

I don't think niqab is a Saudi issue. Women wear black and the men in Saudi wear white and head-dress, it's like a uniform and you can't tell who is rich or poor etc. But that is Saudi, where everyone wears it, and they have other problems anyway.

If you live in a majority non-Muslim area, wearing all-black or neon orange for that matter is irresponsible. Non-Muslim women's magazines tell woman how to dress so that all eyes are on them. Muslim women should dress so that they adhere to Islamic requirements and wear colours that do not bring all eyes on them.

I think actually greys would be a good colour for urban environment. Or maybe that invisibilty cloth from this anime.

psuedosalafi
05-13-2005, 06:49 PM

I don't see why we should have definite colors for women. i don't think there is any hadith that women should wear all black... if there is can some one please post it. On the other hand, I think i've heard that it is recommended for men to wear white and for women to wear colorful clothes.

I don't understand why men are so hell bent on defining what women should wear BUT most NOT ALL take the rules and regulations of men covering very lightly. This mentality reeks of double standards. :thumbs_do

No where in the hadiths does it say, women should wear black abayas or jilbabs. Did the ummahaat ul momineen wear all black?

Since most of us live in the west, i think it is better for us to wear normal colors instead of sticking to all black specially when we all know black has negetive connotations to it. Did any one hear about the niqabi in the US who was waiting outside a bank.. she got cops called over her cuz someone thought she was a bank robber. I'm not saying do not wear niqab.. but dressed in all black can lead to misunderstandings.

S_87
05-13-2005, 07:06 PM

I don't think niqab is a Saudi issue. Women wear black and the men in Saudi wear white and head-dress, it's like a uniform and you can't tell who is rich or poor etc. But that is Saudi, where everyone wears it, and they have other problems anyway.

If you live in a majority non-Muslim area, wearing all-black or neon orange for that matter is irresponsible. Non-Muslim women's magazines tell woman how to dress so that all eyes are on them. Muslim women should dress so that they adhere to Islamic requirements and wear colours that do not bring all eyes on them.

I think actually greys would be a good colour for urban environment. Or maybe that invisibilty cloth from this anime.

i wear all black..i get stares
if i get all white id still get all stares...its not the colour its the way you dress...black is good :thumbs_up
i dont think black is a saudi thing..its a dull colour thats why its prefered..although not necessary to wear black there is some evidence that indicates women of sahabah wore black :)

ahm
05-13-2005, 07:21 PM

Grey is a duller colour and stands out less in daytime I think. In colour psychology in the west, black worn by women implies subservience to men.

ahm
05-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Topic Of Fatwa
Dress & Adornment
Question of Fatwa
Dear scholars, as-Salamu `alaykum. My question is: Is it really the responsibility of the husband to decide what his wife wears? Is he to decide whether or not she wears a one piece coat or a long jacket and a long skirt (two pieces) as well as deciding on its color and style, along with the color and style of the hijab? Can you give me an idea about the manner of dress of the Prophet's wives (peace and blessings be upon him) because as an active Muslim women in da'wah I feel that wearing the one piece coat will be perceived by non-Muslims like wearing a winter's coat. Am I right? Jazakum Allah khayran.
Name of Mufti Da`iyah Zienab Mostafa
Content of Reply

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

In her response to your question, the prominent Muslim scholar and da`I, Zeinab Mustafa states:

“Dear sister in Islam,

May Allah bless you and reward you for your keenness to follow Islam. When Almighty Allah revealed the verse of hijab in Surat An-Nur, He set the requirements of the Islamic dress code for us. A woman has to cover her body. There is no precise description given, which means that she can cover herself in whatever way she wants as long as she covers her entire body except for the face and hands.

The matter of the dress code in Islam is flexible in order to accommodate people in every time, and every culture, and there is no certain design for the outfit, and no color recommended or prohibited. So you can choose whichever color you want as long as you follow the command of Allah.

Concerning your husband, you can discuss this issue with him to realize the fact that you live in a western society and that you are carrying the message of Islam to people, therefore you need to be like a normal person amongst them. It is very important for you and him as active Muslims, to communicate with people so they can accept you and the message you bring. It is important for people to see you in the best image and shape.

The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), used to wear a black cloak because this was the custom at that time and it was obligatory for them to cover their faces as well. However, this does not apply to all Muslim women. Allah asked Muslim women to follow the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) in terms of behavior and acts of worship. It is important for us to follow them in those ways. Some women follow them in their way of dressing, and I ask Allah to accept this from them, but it is not obligatory to follow their way of dress especially if you live in a western environment."

http://www.islamonline.net/fatwa/eng...FatwaID=114487

Ra`eesah
05-13-2005, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by psuedosalafi

I don't see why we should have definite colors for women. i don't think there is any hadith that women should wear all black... if there is can some one please post it. On the other hand, I think i've heard that it is recommended for men to wear white and for women to wear colorful clothes.

I don't understand why men are so hell bent on defining what women should wear BUT most NOT ALL take the rules and regulations of men covering very lightly. This mentality reeks of double standards. :thumbs_do

No where in the hadiths does it say, women should wear black abayas or jilbabs. Did the ummahaat ul momineen wear all black?

Since most of us live in the west, i think it is better for us to wear normal colors instead of sticking to all black specially when we all know black has negetive connotations to it. Did any one hear about the niqabi in the US who was waiting outside a bank.. she got cops called over her cuz someone thought she was a bank robber. I'm not saying do not wear niqab.. but dressed in all black can lead to misunderstandings.

Assalamu’Alaykum

Hadith - Abu Dawud, Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin
When the verse "That they should cast their outer garments over their persons" was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing outer garments.

so tell me what color is a CROW?

The female companions were known to wear black and dark colors (such as the hadith above, "crows on their heads"),

but other colors are also permissible for a woman to wear. She must not wear any color, however, in vanity.

Subhanallah you say that "we all know black has negetive connotations to it"
when i see a muslim women wearing all black u know what i see i see POWER i see a women that is FEARLESS to me i dont now maybe because i am a niqabi think that BLACK is POSITIVE. and u also say that dressed in " ALL BLACK all black can lead to misunderstandings" i dont want to blend in i like being the only one walking down the street wearing ALL BLACK

why because its STRANGE let me be strange it is sad that if you contemplate the state of Muslims, you will find that Islam is indeed something strange to most of them and if i was that sister i would be happy why?.... because Islam started out strange and will go back to being strange, but GOOD TIDINGS to the strangers who rectify what the people have corrupted.

S_87
05-13-2005, 07:40 PM
its not obligatory to wear black...yes i agree

but grey? grey? that is uniform colour
black is best and easiest in my opinion..so convenient

its a nice colour too
its just a cool colour ....

Z
05-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Since most of us live in the west, i think it is better for us to wear normal colors instead of sticking to all black specially when we all know black has negetive connotations to it.
Say what? Maybe you get influenced to easily by the west. A sister in black, is a sister to fear.

Want to know what I think? When I see a sister in black, I turn away not only because she is a sister, but because black is not very attractive. If I see a sister in bright colours and normal clothes as you like to put it, my eye tends to follow for quite some time. So, would it be good to have eyes following you or not?

S_87
05-13-2005, 07:50 PM
yes i do not think we can follow the west or put aside whatwe think is right or like for the west.
simply because these things keep on changing

say tomorrow black was the fashion and everyone waswearing it would be not stand out in blue/grey/white/maroon..any other colour?
but the next day black is out of fashion then???
so if you follow trends you will never catch up simply because it enever stops..
black worn by women of the Sahabah..then if we follow their fashion it is easiest ;)

ahm
05-13-2005, 08:41 PM

Black or colour, a brother did say to me he found niqabis <another stronger word for alluring>.

I don't think you have understood the article/fatwa. Somethings are culture, that predate Islam, like the colour of the cloth. What is not culture, what came from Islam, would be the way they use the cloth to cover themselves, hence looking like crows - because before putting it on their heads the cloth was just part of their aprons etc.

I also don't like how a woman dresses in all black, but her husband is dressed western. that shows to non-Muslims that she is "oppressed" or Islamic restrictions apply to women only etc. (obviously we know different). Where as if the couple were dressed similarly as in both non-western dress (husband in a thobe etc.) then the wife stands out less and people less likely to think she is oppressed.

Point is follow Islam and blend in with sutable colours and style, not following fashion, don't stand out by wearing all black in the wrong place and colours in the wrong place. So when in Saudi wear all black. In Malaysia/West Africa wear colours. In London wear grey LOL

S_87
05-13-2005, 09:10 PM

but why change colour to please others?
so long as a person is covered i personally dont see why they should try and please all around them..simply because thats not possible
if we look during the reign of Taliban..the women were wearing a nice blue. but they still got the tag of being opressed..why? because they were covered! so no matterwhat colour you wear....if people want to give you the opressed label they will.

Ibn Syed
05-13-2005, 09:10 PM
True ahm True

Ra`eesah
05-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Assalamu’Alaykum

1. The brother that said that;I feel sorry for.
2.its not an artical or fatwa it’s a hadith
3. There is nothing cultural about hadith
4. So if husband wore Thob and whife wore black abay... that would show to NON MUSLIMS that they are both terrorist... tell me do we really care what they think?
Its da’wa bas.
5.ur last paragraph seems like a familiar quote “WHEN IN ROME DO AS THE ROMANS DO” in this case I don’t agree.. Ur not getting my point WHY DO I WANT TO BLEND IN? (Not shouting just want to be clear.) :).

Where ever u go you should be identified as a Muslim.

ahm
05-13-2005, 09:24 PM

It's not dressing to please others. In a non-Muslim country there is a dawa aspect. Islam has guidelines on dress, on what to cover, there rest is left upto regional differences etc.
2. Then you haven't underastood the hadith. Female circumcision is mentioned in hadith, is that part of Islam or does it predate Islam?
3. Arab culture and Islam aren't exactly the same are they?
4. What it would show to others depends on your region, where you live. And in a non-Muslim country there is a dawa element, so you do have to consider what they think without compromising your Islam. Dressing in say non-black is not compromising your Islam. What the couple would look like would be tourists and not terrorists LOL
5. No it's not the same as do as the roman's do.

ahm
05-13-2005, 09:27 PM

Somethings like not remarrying were specific to the Prophet's (SAW) wives. I will ask a scholar if covering the face was also specific to them.

Zohra1001
05-13-2005, 09:28 PM
agree with u bro

psuedosalafi
05-13-2005, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 3washey

Assalamu’Alaykum

Hadith - Abu Dawud, Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin
When the verse "That they should cast their outer garments over their persons" was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing outer garments.

so tell me what color is a CROW?

The female companions were known to wear black and dark colors (such as the hadith above, "crows on their heads"),

but other colors are also permissible for a woman to wear. She must not wear any color, however, in vanity.

Subhanallah you say that "we all know black has negetive connotations to it"
when i see a muslim women wearing all black u know what i see i see POWER i see a women that is FEARLESS to me i dont now maybe because i am a niqabi think that BLACK is POSITIVE. and u also say that dressed in " ALL BLACK all black can lead to misunderstandings" i dont want to blend in i like being the only one walking down the street wearing ALL BLACK
I think you are taking the crow thing too far... just because the hadith says they were like crows on their head doesn't mean it has to be black in color.

You guys are misunderstanding what i am saying. I guess its to do with where you live.

Sis you live in canada and abdul i'm assuming you live in UK. Both countries with considerable muslim population.. where it is easier to wear niqab and all in black .. without fears of backlash.

How would you feel wearing a full niqab in an all-white remote US town? I wear a jilbaab and i live in a small college town where there are only 10 muslims max and I'm extra careful when i go out cuz of heavy conservative hick population in this town.

I have nothing against niqaabis But i don't see the point of wearing niqaab in a place where you know you will be getting more attention cuz of your clothes and this attention CAN be unwanted and harmful. Just like how the lady waiting outside the bank was mistakenly arrested. So why wear something when you know there can be harmful repercussions to it.. SPEcially when its not even fardh.

why because its STRANGE let me be strange it is sad that if you contemplate the state of Muslims, you will find that Islam is indeed something strange to most of them and if i was that sister i would be happy why?.... because Islam started out strange and will go back to being strange, but GOOD TIDINGS to the strangers who rectify what the people have corrupted.
It is strange to people whose hearts are sealed.. but if you talk to sincere non-muslims.. to them islam really is A very simple way of life.

Sometimes i see us making islam so hard for ourselves... when in reality it is NOT.

Say what? Maybe you get influenced to easily by the west. A sister in black, is a sister to fear.

Want to know what I think? When I see a sister in black, I turn away not only because she is a sister, but because black is not very attractive. If I see a sister in bright colours and normal clothes as you like to put it, my eye tends to follow for quite some time. So, would it be good to have eyes following you or not?
Bro it is all about the person. Believe it or not there are men who have niqab fetishes and who think women in niqaab are sexy Nouzubillah! And i never said normal clothes.... even if it is normal clothes.. as long as the they are modest and are NOT attractive.. how is that not modest and islamic attire?

I know it is useless arguing about this.. but i see alot of men going on and on about women wearing islamic clothing but Don't really care about men dressing modestly and imitating the kuffar. We have more men in the masajid who wear their pants low and pretend to be all gangsta than women who wear unislamic clothing. Naseeha and criticism should be balanced.

Umm Hanif
05-13-2005, 11:13 PM
Salam bro, I understand what u mean but there is nothing wrong in shariah with the hajab having matching accesories as long as they all fit the criteria. But along with the hajab the sister is required to wear a jilbab which is a loose outer garment when she goes into public life.

Ibn Syed
05-14-2005, 02:42 AM
The jilbab cannot show the shape of the body.

Ra`eesah
05-14-2005, 03:37 AM
Assalamu’Alaykum

I think you are taking the crow thing too far... just because the hadith says they were like crows on their head doesn't mean it has to be black in color.

-I am sorry you think that I am talking the “ Crow thing t o far” But i’m not its what I have been taught. Where did u learn this hadith from who taught it to u?

You guys are misunderstanding what i am saying. I guess its to do with where you live.
-Ok who are you? And what did you say?

Sis you live in canada and abdul i'm assuming you live in UK. Both countries with considerable muslim population.. where it is easier to wear niqab and all in black .. without fears of backlash.
How would you feel wearing a full niqab in an all-white remote US town? I wear a jilbaab and i live in a small college town where there are only 10 muslims max and I'm extra careful when i go out cuz of heavy conservative hick population in this town.
-I am originally From the states, just came her to Canada to visit 2 months back. And who said wearing niqab is easy? Do you wear Niqab? IF not how can u tell me its easy if yourself have never experienced it. How would I feel I would feel gr8 I would feel that for once I can do something for my Lord and sacrifice just like the Sahabas before me did. I wear niqab to please Allah.

I have nothing against niqaabis But i don't see the point of wearing niqaab in a place where you know you will be getting more attention cuz of your clothes and this attention CAN be unwanted and harmful. Just like how the lady waiting outside the bank was mistakenly arrested. So why wear something when you know there can be harmful repercussions to it.. SPEcially when its not even fardh.
-Ok it not being Farth is you opinion every women I Know for a FACT that wears niqab belives that its Farth. There are Scholors who debt this issue of wearing Niqab some say Wajib others say Mustahab. Speaking with out knowlegde is dangerous. There is proof of niqab being wajib but I am not going to get into that now. You say you don’t see the point of wearing niqaab in a place where you know you will be getting more attention??? so why do you wear a “JILBAAB” when u live in a town where there ONLY 10 muslims? Weather you see the point or you don’t my beloved sister in Islam... i;m doing it to please Allah.

It is strange to people whose hearts are sealed.. but if you talk to sincere non-muslims.. to them islam really is A very simple way of life.
-Islam is starnage even its own communtiy many muslims that are ignorent to the deen, and ask silly qns as to why women wear niqab, Even if it is SUNNAH... no one asks WHY DO U PRAY SUNNAH SALAAT “I DON’T SEE THE POINT” only when it comes to sisters that are Niqaabis and that want to struggle for their deen then it becomes an issue through out the muslim world. Brothers and Sister who stick to the original dress code of an Islamic dress Brothers wearing THOB sisters wearing NIQAAB look strange to most brothers and sisters that are not as conservative.

Sometimes i see us making islam so hard for ourselves... when in reality it is NOT.
-because a sister wants to wear niqab shes making it hard for herself... but if a sisters wants to stay the whole night crying and praying to her lord she is trying to come closer to Allah and is by no means trying to make it hard for herself... Subhanallah.... Alhamdulillaah for me I don’t think its Hard because Allah gave us sisters who wear the Niqab the strength and power to face anything.

Bro it is all about the person. Believe it or not there are men who have niqab fetishes and who think women in niqaab are sexy Nouzubillah! And i never said normal clothes.... even if it is normal clothes.. as long as the they are modest and are NOT attractive.. how is that not modest and islamic attire?
-The brothers who think a sister that wears Niqaab are “ sexy Nouzubillah” are sick in their heart and mind.

I know it is useless arguing about this.. but i see alot of men going on and on about women wearing islamic clothing but Don't really care about men dressing modestly and imitating the kuffar. We have more men in the masajid who wear their pants low and pretend to be all gangsta than women who wear unislamic clothing. Naseeha and criticism should be balanced.
-this thread here is about Sisters and islamic dress code talking about brothers and islamic dress code here would be going off topic but inshallah we can have a new thread about brothers and Islamic dress code. And I don’t know anyone who is criticizing here.

NOTE: Some if not MOST SISTERS on Li are niqabis so please becareful as to not offend any of them.

Khaldun
05-14-2005, 04:31 AM

mashAllah, some reading some ppl might want to do aswell http://members.tripod.com/~ibnfarooq/niqaab.htm
and
http://muttaqun.com/niqab.html

Ra`eesah
05-14-2005, 04:45 AM

Somethings like not remarrying were specific to the Prophet's (SAW) wives. I will ask a scholar if covering the face was also specific to them.

Assalamu'Alaykum

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Ahzab 33:59

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils)* all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

*the arabic word here is Jalabeeb (plural of Jalbaab), which is the loose outer garment that covers all a woman's body. It says here to use the Jalabeeb to cover all, and scholars say this means to use it to cover her head (agree upon by all scholars) and her face (agreed by many scholars, not all) and one or both eyes, in order for it to be known that she is a free woman and so not to be exposed to any harm.

Tafseer - Ibn Katheer
"Allah commanded the muslim women to cover this sheet on top of them to cover their bodies except one eye, when it is necessary for them to come out of their homes."

Tafseer - Commentary by Ibn Jarir and Ahkam-ul-Quran, Vol.III, p.457
Imam Muhammad bin Sirin said: "When I asked Ubaida bin Sufyan bin al-Harith (ra) the meaning of this verse and how the jalbaab was to worn, he demonstrated it to me by pulling a sheet of cloth over his head to cover his entire body, leaving the left eye uncovered. This was also the explanation of the word 'Alaihinna in this verse"

Tafseer - Alu'si, Rul-ul-Ma'ani, Vol. 22, p. 89
"Ibn Jarir Tabari and Ibn Al-Mundhir described the method of wearing the jalbaab according to Ibn Abbas (ra) and Qatadah (ra). The sheet should be wrapped around from the top, covering the forehead, then bringing one side of the sheet to cover the face below the eyes so that most of the face and the upper body is covered. This will leave both eyes uncovered (which is allowed in necessity).

The following Fatawa is from Sheikh Ibn Uthaimin:

"The Islamic hijab is for the women to cover everything that is forbidden for her to expose. That is, she covers everything that she must cover.

"The first of those bodily parts that she must cover is her face. It is the source of temptation and the source of people desiring her. Therefore, the woman must cover her face in front of those men that are not Mahram (i.e. father, huband, etc.).

"As for those who claim that Islamic hijab is to cover the head, shoulders, back, feet, shin and forearms while allowing her to uncover her face and hands, this is a very amazing claim. This is because it is well-known that the source of temptation and looking is the face. How can one say that the Shariah does no allow the exposure of the foot of the woman while it allows her to uncover her face?

"It is not possible that there could be in the Esteemed, Wise and Noble Shariah a contradiction. Yet everyone knows that the temptation from uncovering the face is much greater than the temptation that results from the uncovering of the feet. Everyone also knows that the most sought after aspect of the woman for men is the face. If you told a prospective groom that a woman’s face is ugly but her feet are beautiful, he would not propose to such a woman.

"However, if you told him that her face was beautiful but her hands, palms, or shins were less than beautiful, he would still propose to her. From this one can conclude that the face is the first thing that must be covered.

"There are also evidences from the Book of Allah (SWT) and the Sunnah of our Prophet (SAW). There are also statements from the Companions, the leading Imams and the great scholars of Islam that indicate that it is obligatory for the woman to cover all of her body in the presence of non-Mahram men. This obviously indicates that it is obligatory upon the woman to cover her face in front of such men."

BlissfullyJaded
05-14-2005, 05:03 AM

Jazakallah khair brother Ibn_Khaldun and sister 3washey. MashaAllah you'll said everythin I was thinking. :applaud:

ahm
05-14-2005, 07:26 AM

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils)* all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
Whereever I see that I always see the statement in brackets.

We don't want to get in to a niqab discussion. There is an excellent website that presents both sides views and arguments, but I don't have the link.

Anyway, hijab and niqab, you don't have to wear black, you can wear other colours. So you get the rewards for wearing hijab and niqab, plus reward for dawa/giving a better impression of Muslims.

Noora_z3
05-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Salam Alykum

Seems like I missed an intresting discusson over here....I am always late.. :sister: ..well I am Niqabi myself...but i dont go about tellin other non-niqabi's that they r doing wrong, those who say that Niqab is not Fardh got some quite strong arguments too..

Black, its not sunna or anything like that, the woman is free to wear the color she wants, as long as it is not attention grabbing, like wen I was in Malaysia i didnt wear black, used to wear Off-white, grey, or Baige..still ppl looked at me surprisingly, but I knew black will creat a larger reaction, and thats why I didnt wear it, my intention was not to grab attention but to be modest and follow Allah's rules.

S_87
05-14-2005, 02:35 PM

:sl: :D the bold part is debateable..so ............ there is have enough evidence that indicates it is fardh

goo link by IK and info by 3washey

ahm..there is nowehere that says black is totally necessary..agreed
but theres nothing wrong with preferring the colour black or women wearing that ...

ahm
05-14-2005, 10:56 PM

Just to have the last word LOL only the hanbali school say it is compulsory.

Ibn Syed
05-14-2005, 10:59 PM
LOL :lol:

Danish
05-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Handbags and Hijabs
gotta say, i like putting on a white hijab, and pink handbag is always a winning combination....what u think Ibn Syed , ever tried it? Its quite nice, everyone looks at u ;)

*hopes, akhi Ibn Syed is gullible enough*

Ibn Syed
05-14-2005, 11:08 PM
I'll try it now. *gets his mom's hijab* LOLOLOLOLOLOL :lol: :lol: :haha: :haha:

Ibn Syed
05-14-2005, 11:09 PM
OOH! I'm getting stares! :lol: LOLOLOL:haha:

ahm
05-14-2005, 11:27 PM

There is a place in Africa where men wear niqab. You guys considering moving there?

Ibn Syed
05-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Sure! *packs bags*

Ra`eesah
05-15-2005, 03:11 AM

i wish u had the last say but... when it comes to Quraan and Sunnah the schools of thought are not taken in replacement....

ahm
05-15-2005, 07:38 AM

*sigh* Cliche.

Well if the schools of thought relied on a separate body of knowledge then you would be correct. Schools of thought and Quran and Sunna are not mutually exclusive. Anyway this is not a place for this discussion, they don't allow it on Almaghrib forums either LOL.

Ra`eesah
05-16-2005, 01:20 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Well if the schools of thought relied on a separate body of knowledge then you would be correct. Schools of thought and Quran and Sunna are not mutually exclusive.
Yes your right but we all knwo that all 4 Imaans said, if u find a hadith or Sunnah that is different from mine leave mine and follow it. ( something to that effect)

Anyway this is not a place for this discussion, they don't allow it on Almaghrib forums either LOL.
;D Maybe because some of the Shuyukh in there have different opions

Noora_z3
05-17-2005, 09:31 AM

salam Alykum

That statment is not completly true, wat the four school of thought said bout Niqab is as follows:

1- the Hanbali school: as it is been mentioned earlier, coverin the face is compulsory.

2- The Safi'im and Maliki school: the face and hands can be exposed provided that there is no fear of desire if one looks at the female face, otherwise if there is the slightest chance of desire developing in the looker exposing the face and hands is Haraam.

3- Hanfi school of thought: Earlier scholars of this school were of the openion that coverin the face is not Wajib if it doesnt lead to fitnah. But later scholars of the Hanafi school altered the judgment and said that coverin the face is compulsory due to the spread of fitnah. by the way, Ibn Hanifa was of the openion that woman shuld cover her face in all cases.

Source, Al-Fiqh 'Ala al-mathahib al-arba'ah, By Al-Jazayri, Vol. 5. (in Arabic dont know if it was transelated to english or not).

ahm
05-17-2005, 10:15 AM

And the biggest fitna is in Saudi, so when in Saudi you HAVE to wear niqab.

A brother from Saudi was at our isoc. Complaints came because he keeps staring at women. Just cause they ain't wearing anything, does not mean you can gaze at them. At the time of the Prophet (SAW), free Muslim women would cover, not slave women or non-Muslim women.

S_87
05-17-2005, 11:19 AM

And the biggest fitna is in Saudi, so when in Saudi you HAVE to wear niqab.

A brother from Saudi was at our isoc. Complaints came because he keeps staring at women. Just cause they ain't wearing anything, does not mean you can gaze at them. At the time of the Prophet (SAW), free Muslim women would cover, not slave women or non-Muslim women.

hmm think it musta been shock? he been so used to seeing women covered that not seeing them covered wa ssomething new? :S

MetSudaisTwice
05-17-2005, 11:23 AM
yeah that may have been the reason, but if he is used to seeing women covered then he shouldn't stare in the first place.

Danish
05-17-2005, 12:09 PM
There is a place in Africa where men wear niqab. You guys considering moving there?
ladies first...

Sure! *packs bags*
al right there sis? :p

ahm
05-17-2005, 03:17 PM

There is an argument for men wearing niqab. The hadith about the blind man visiting the Prophet's (SAW) household. He told his wives to veil themselves (either with cloth or behind a partition, not sure), they asked why as the man is blind. The Prophet (SAW) said that his wives are not blind, they can see him, so they must conceal themselves from seeing him. Someone find the ref for it please.

MetSudaisTwice
05-17-2005, 03:18 PM
yes i have heard that very recently from our local imams lecture but not sure where the ref is for that specific hadith

ahm
05-17-2005, 06:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Noora_z3
salam Alykum

That statment is not completly true, wat the four school of thought said bout Niqab is as follows:

1- the Hanbali school: as it is been mentioned earlier, coverin the face is compulsory.

2- The Safi'im and Maliki school: the face and hands can be exposed provided that there is no fear of desire if one looks at the female face, otherwise if there is the slightest chance of desire developing in the looker exposing the face and hands is Haraam.

3- Hanfi school of thought: Earlier scholars of this school were of the openion that coverin the face is not Wajib if it doesnt lead to fitnah. But later scholars of the Hanafi school altered the judgment and said that coverin the face is compulsory due to the spread of fitnah. by the way, Ibn Hanifa was of the openion that woman shuld cover her face in all cases.

Source, Al-Fiqh 'Ala al-mathahib al-arba'ah, By Al-Jazayri, Vol. 5. (in Arabic dont know if it was transelated to english or not).

The above seem applicable to close quarter situations, face-to-face, e.g. buying from a shop and if the woman is quite good looking. Fitna can also be caused by wearing niqab, fitna does not always have to be of a sexual nature. So if wearing niqab cause fitna of another type, then you shouldn't wear it. I doubt in the UK people get thrills from checking out peoples faces, usually people shout out body parts which are covered by the main hijab.

ahm
05-17-2005, 07:11 PM

Noora_z3
05-18-2005, 09:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
hmm think it musta been shock? he been so used to seeing women covered that not seeing them covered wa ssomething new? :S
Salam Alykum

Sis Amani lemme tell u, this is not the reason, first of all, not all women r all covered in saudi, wen u go to big malls, u hardly see any one coverin their faces, u see also some girls walkin without their head scarvs too, pretty shocking ha. even in pushy resturants, ladies go in their and literaly take off their scarfs and Jilbabs and feel home. Not to forget gulf countires (totally free) r only few hours away, where saudi men spend lots of time there 'especially on weekends and holidays".

secondly, starin at women's faces became a part of the culture in this part of the world "saudi", a boy by lookin at women and teasin them is basicly showin others that he is a Man now, it is something socially accepted :confused: . Lots of Paretns over here even though they practice islam, but they dont inculcate true Islamic teachings in their kids. I know of some paretns wen they see their boys lookin at girls go bout saying "Oh my boy became a man :confused: ". There r all kind of ppl here in saudi, just like any other place, some r really religiose and good, and some r ...the extreme. Lookin at women "whether she is coverd or not covered" is a NORM over here, hence wen they leave to other places, they tend to act exactly like they do here in saudi.

Please bear in mind I am not tryin to draw a dark picutre of saudi, these r all facts, I am indian but went to saudi public schools, all my freinds r saudi, therefore, I know these stuffs pretty well. Sorry if I went off topic. Wasalam. :D

Noora_z3
05-18-2005, 09:18 AM

The above seem applicable to close quarter situations, face-to-face, e.g. buying from a shop and if the woman is quite good looking. :
Salam Bro,

These openions were expressed by four school of thought while discussin the Issue of Awrah of the Woman (Generally). It is not applicable just to close quarter situations.
Wen u say wen women is quite good lookin, let me tell u, the beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, I am sure u know that..:), one can never say no one will be attracted to me so I can walk with my face uncovered. Guys sometimes dont need a reason to look at women faces. :)..no offence.

Fitna can also be caused by wearing niqab, fitna does not always have to be of a sexual nature. So if wearing niqab cause fitna of another type, then you shouldn't wear it. I doubt in the UK people get thrills from checking out peoples faces, usually people shout out body parts which are covered by the main hijab.
Alright, this is argumentative, u see thats why I dont go around callin every one to wear niqab coz it is not an easy thing and it should come from within, but in the same time, I dont like others to say to me "u shouldnt be wearin Niqab in such places". Wat kind of fitnah will niqab cause?!

S_87
05-18-2005, 10:00 AM

thats sad :'( :( silly women
stoopid men...is it true that a lot of them go to the philipines and china?

Noora_z3
05-18-2005, 10:06 AM
a lot?!...cant say that, few or some ...yes...there r good and bad ppl every where..

ahm
05-18-2005, 01:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Noora_z3
Salam Bro,

These openions were expressed by four school of thought while discussin the Issue of Awrah of the Woman (Generally). It is not applicable just to close quarter situations.

The quotes you gave of the different schools did not seem clear. I just replied based on that quote. The only situation I can think of is when men pass by in close quarters or at shop, or near a mosque entrance, is where a women would cover her face. The key thing is "due to fitnah". So dependent on the fitnah situations then niqab should be worn. It appears the scholars were addressing the fitna during their time, I would like to know what it was exactly. If it was clear and explicit that it was compulsory to wear niqab all the time, like the main hijab, the the scholars would not have said what they did in your quote.

Fitna of wearing niqab, being harassed for hiding your ID, confused for being a bank robber, misunderstanding of Islam/bad dawa. Personally I feel niqab should be worn in close quarter situations, e.g. wife serving her husband's male guests, near the mosque entrance, but not all the time (as brothers do need to look at a sister for marriage purposes with or without her knowledge; hadith of one of the companions hiding in a tree?).

naaz
05-18-2005, 01:18 PM
here in south africa a lot of muslims do not wear niqaab and some do ,i feel that whoever does wear the niqaab should be admired if their do it for allah and not to show people or are forced to. i have friends who came to visit from saudi arabia they were arabs, we took them for a holiday to the sea. I was shocked the minute they landed they took off their niqaabs had on tight fitting clothing and swam with a bikini i was appaled.When i asked them how could they do this they said in saudi they had no choice but to dress with the niqaab .so not all arabs are like this and i ahve no right to judge anybody but i feel that you should do things such as wearing the niqaab from the heart to please your creator not for show.

ahm
05-18-2005, 01:51 PM

That's what happens when you just tell them to cover, and just put emphasis on ritual and actions - and not in developing good intentions and character.

Mujahideen
12-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Aslamalykum. there is nothing wrong with matching hijabs with hanbags. yeh its wrong to wear fitted clothes. you are allowed to have styles u know

Imam786
12-11-2005, 10:52 PM
very funny these days u see all this mix n matching in religion even when its a scarf...lol

hidden_treasure
12-13-2005, 02:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SaBiNa
mmca4....if her husband lets her den she cud dress da way she wants if she goes out in jeans n a hijab dat dsnt matta coz her husband lets her so ppl cnt argue wiv dat..
Assalamu alaikum,

Dear sister in islam,

We should be obedient to our husbands, yes, but not if it is in regards to haram.

Allah (swt) commanded the believing women to cover (in the quran)..and there is a proper way to do this...also according to quran, and hadeeth.

If our husbands tell us to do something that would not please Allah, and we obey him, then we are committing a sin.

May Allah guide the muslim ummah...ameen.

hidden_treasure
12-13-2005, 02:24 AM
assalamu alaikum,

What kind of fitna can the niqaab cause? and too bad if ppl dont like it.
The courageous and God fearing pious women in the prophets days (saws) were the very first to wear it..can you imagine? They did not fear the ppl, instead they feared Allah.

Today, we are too busy fearing the ppl, or feeling scared or shy about what others will say about us...subhanAllah, whats the world coming to?

We should all be proud to be muslims....and be thankful that Allah has guided us.

Snowflake
12-13-2005, 11:57 AM

I saw something really weird. A hijabi sister with matching headscarf and handbag, the pattern of the cloth matched. Next to her was another woman, her head wasn't covered, yet she seemed more "modest" ????

I wouldn't be happy if my wife dressed like the hijabi sister, or if she had her head uncovered like the other lady. The hijabi sister's clothes were a bit too "fitted", is that the right word?

Umm yeah brother that is weird cuz the whole point of dressing islamically is to not to draw attention to your femininity. I don't even agree with hijaabs encrusted with diamontes/colourful/eye catching etcetc. I mean that gets u noticed more than if you aren't wearing it. Defeats the purpose so to speak!

I hear what you say that the sister without hijaab seemed more modest. It happens.

Rabiyal
12-13-2005, 12:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mm_ca04

This obedience should not involve disobeying Allaah. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience towards the Creator.”
Source
OKAY I AM CONFUSED?!??! how are we disobeying our creator by listening to our Husband if he wishes us not to wear Hijab?

Please first explain that then I got couple more questions...

Ameeratul Layl
12-13-2005, 01:50 PM

fitted? Ohhh...thats not a good one is it.:-\
But where the co ordination is concerned, I dont see what is wrong with that.
I always colour co ordinate...(it can be irrritating when you dont get the colour you want though-:-\ ).
Handbags? Oh no, now that is going a bit far for me. They never stay on the shoulder and the worst thing: the bags made nowadays...u cudnt even fit a pack of tissues in comfortably.:rant:

Oh well, thats MY opinion.:)

Allah ma3akum
p.s: my point: colour co ordination can be nice.:)

MetSudaisTwice
12-13-2005, 01:54 PM
salam
quoted from Sheikh Saud Shuraim:
Also, know my Muslim sister that to conceal your face and allow your eyebrows, cheekbone, and bridge of the nose to remain uncovered is clear error.

Some women use this as a ploy to cover up their inadequate features.
They will uncover what they like and cover what they dislike.

If our woman folk exit their homes having beautified themselves, uncovering more that what they cover, perfumed, while using their eyes and movement to attract the attention of men, they are indeed calling to deviance and disorder.

wasalam

Sahabiyaat
12-13-2005, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=Ameeratul Layl;128073 and the worst thing: the bags made nowadays...u cudnt even fit a pack of tissues in comfortably.:rant:[/QUOTE]

lol so true
anything bigger than the size of a pencil is considered a granny bag and out dated ...heck u cant fit a pencil in those pencil bags so whats the point ?

MetSudaisTwice
12-13-2005, 01:55 PM
salam
lol mashallah very true sisters
wasalam

Nawal89
12-13-2005, 01:57 PM
^thats one of the reasons i dont like handbags. I prefer a backpack.

Ameeratul Layl
12-13-2005, 02:02 PM

Yes, broter MST...good point.:)
by the way, when I mentioned colour co ordination I would like to add that going off and wearing bright this and bright that is not good. In the home its fine.But not in front of other males...:)

Let me give you an example. Ill pick on myself...as I must judge myself before I judge others.:)

I go to college and wear:

Black jilbaab and the rest of my clothes are black too. Why?

Well u see, to the West... When u wear black...its as though u are dressed rather smartly. Many times I have been told so....:)

According to Islam, it is modest, because I dont have bright clothes that will attract any attention.
Im not saying that Islma says we must ONLY wear black....but what I am saying is....cover yourself modestly. So, when ppl see you, they see you as someone smart (and with a bit of taste in clothes). That way, u are pleasing Allah and you dont get stared at by every Tom,George and Harry.:)

Arent I...clever.:coolsis:

E7dina siratim mustaqeem.Ameen.

Allah ma3akum and I hope I have not offended anyone.
p.s: when I sed colour co ordinated, u can see how easy it is for college (only black). Its only wen I have to go to dinner parties....it can get a bit out of hand.lol.

~Raindrop~
12-13-2005, 02:02 PM
^^nah sis. go 1 better. suitcase would be fine.

Snowflake
12-13-2005, 02:25 PM

Grey is a duller colour and stands out less in daytime I think. In colour psychology in the west, black worn by women implies subservience to men.

Actually here in England especially, black is, and will remain to be the 'in' colour cuz it 'slims' you down. Every gori (white woman) has a little black dress in her wardrobe ;D

But on-topic again, the best colours for muslims sisters to wear are those that dont attract the eye.

MetSudaisTwice
12-13-2005, 03:19 PM
salam
mashallah very true sis nadia
lol sis aisha i doubt you would carry a suitcase with you
wasalam

~Raindrop~
12-13-2005, 03:24 PM
^^why not?
nothing wrong with it.

Muezzin
12-13-2005, 03:29 PM

I saw something really weird. A hijabi sister with matching headscarf and handbag, the pattern of the cloth matched.
Do you have any idea how cool that sounds? She could cover her face with her handbag, and everyone would think that she was just a faceless fabric-headed creature.

Imagine the possibilities! Instead of saying 'talk to the hand', they could just cover their face with their purse and everyone would be like, 'whoah, where's Fatima gone?'

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.