/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to follow the salaf?

muslim_friend
05-28-2006, 09:26 AM
:sl:

I understand following the sunnah of the Prophet(saws) and his companions is an obligation. But where is the need to follow the 2 generations that came after them? Is it mentioned in the Qur'an?

I ask this, because Islam was perfected during the Prophet's time. So how could the salaf who came after the companions, have brought anything new?

Shukran.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nawal89
05-28-2006, 12:17 PM
They didnt bring anything new. They followed the way of the sahabah. Also the hadeeth says that the best generation of people are the sahabahs, then the tabi'un, then the tabtabi'un, then those who follow them with ihsan until the last day.

They practiced Islam the right way. We should take them as our example.

scentsofjannah
05-28-2006, 12:26 PM

we have to love and respect all the pious people from the past...the salaf as salih(righteous/pious)..not just any salaf..hope that makes it clear
:)

moujahid
05-28-2006, 12:27 PM
...and also do not confuse between the 'Salafs' of that time and the 'Salafis' of today....

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ghazi
05-28-2006, 12:46 PM

Listen bro just follow the quran and sunnah and you'll be fine, don't by into this lets start labbelling our selfs such and such.

moujahid
05-28-2006, 12:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

Listen bro just follow the quran and sunnah and you'll be fine, don't by into this lets start labbelling our selfs such and such.
True. Follow the Qur'an and Sunnah from the right people...not just from anybody. We don't interpret Qur'an and Sunnah ourselves...We learn from our teachers.

- Qatada -
05-28-2006, 01:02 PM
:salamext:

Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said:

"The best of my people are my generation then those who come after them, then those who come after them, then there will come a people in whom there will be no good." [At-Tabaranee, authenticated by al-Albanee]

Also, in al-Bukharee, "The best of the people are my generation, then those after them, then those after them..." This is also reported by Muslim, Aboo Dawood, at-Tirmidhee, An-Nasa'ee and others.

Therefore, if Rasool Allaah sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam is saying that they [the first 3 generations] are the best generations - then that is part of our aqeedah (beliefs) and therefore we should follow their example, of the ones who were righteous in their time. They were the people who followed the ways of Allaah and His Messenger Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) the most.

The Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) also said, "...and my Ummah will divide into seventy-three sects." [Aboo Dawood, at-Tirmidhee, Ibn Majah, al-Hakim, Ahmad, authenticated by at-Tirmidhee, al Hakim, ibn Taymeeyah, as-Suyootee, al-Manawee, ash-Shatibee, adh-Dhahabee and al-Albanee].

In another Hadith that is hasan, the Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) explained which one is the saved sect: "Al- Jama`ah" [Ibn Majah]. In another Hasan Hadith the Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) said, "The tribes of Israel broke into seventy- two sects. My Ummah shall break up into seventy-three sects. All of them will be in the Fire, except one: what I am upon and my Companions." (i.e. the Qur'an & Sunnah) [At-Tirmidhee]

Therefore, only if we follow their ways will we be succesful. Especially in situations like nowadays when people are trying to alter the meaning of the Qur'an to suit their own desires etc.

This is why we follow the interpretation and ways of the first 3 generations (the sahabah, the students of the sahabah, and their students.) Because they were the closest to the interpretation of the Qur'an which was left by our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him.)

To read more, check this link out insha'Allaah:

The Views Of Ahlus-Sunnah Towards The Sahaba (radhiAllaahu anhum)
http://www.quran.net/quran/ViewsOfAh...saAlBosnee.htm

Allaah Almighty knows best.

:wasalamex

united
05-28-2006, 01:03 PM
It takes a great deal of knowledge to get to the stage where you can just pickup quran and hadith books and follow them yourselves. That is why there are/were people who dedicated their whole lives to learning the Deen ie Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Shafi, Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal etc.

Makky
05-28-2006, 01:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
They didnt bring anything new. They followed the way of the sahabah. Also the hadeeth says that the best generation of people are the sahabahs, then the tabi'un, then the tabtabi'un, then those who follow them with ihsan until the last day.

They practiced Islam the right way. We should take them as our example.

True

the prophet PBUH SAid :

خير القرون قرني هذا ثم الذين يلونهم ثم الذين يلونهم

moujahid
05-28-2006, 01:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by united
It takes a great deal of knowledge to get to the stage where you can just pickup quran and hadith books and follow them yourselves. That is why there are/were people who dedicated their whole lives to learning the Deen ie Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Shafi, Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal etc.
True. MashaAllah.:)

Makky
05-28-2006, 01:22 PM
:thumbs_up
format_quote Originally Posted by moujahid
True. Follow the Qur'an and Sunnah from the right people...not just from anybody. We don't interpret Qur'an and Sunnah ourselves...We learn from our teachers.
We follow the qur'an and sunnah with the understanding of those whom were speaking the language of the Wahi the Arabic * Al arabia al fus-ha *

Those teens who speak English as a 1st lang. might not be able to understand old English properly.

Now arabs have many slangs & accents which are very differnt from the original Arabic in the days of the prophet

its unfair to try to understand Qur'an and sunnah ourselves...

The right way is To find How those who spoke the original arabic understood the Qur'an and sunnah

So : We follow the Qur'an and sunnah With the understanding of Salaf ( companions & their followers )
if we did we 'd be all united , we'd be all on one way

but because everybody want to try *with his weak tools in arabic and deen* to understand Qur'an and sunnah <--------- For this reason we are not united and you find many names & labels , many bands and paths

May allay grant us his Guideness

muslim_friend
05-28-2006, 01:57 PM

Superb posts, mashaAllah. This is what i have come to understand: the salaf learnt from the messenger and understood Islam better than any other generation. therefore it is necessary to refer their opinions in matters of fiqh and tafsir.Shukran. It now makes perfect sense.

Is the obligation to follow the salaf (who came after the companions) mentioned in the Qur'an? this is what i really desire to know. Allah s.w.t Has mentioned the rights and wrongs of our deen in His book, surely He would have also mentioned the methodology of the straight path too,(since it is matter that saves from the fire). I do know that the obligation to follow the messenger(pbuh) is mentioned in the Qur'an, but regarding the salaf, i don't have a clue.. Is there such a verse?

Thank you everyone for the patience to answer my earlier question. May Allah reward you. :):)

moujahid
05-28-2006, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bin saladin
:thumbs_up

We follow the qur'an and sunnah with the understanding of those whom were speaking the language of the Wahi the Arabic * Al arabia al fus-ha *

Those teens who speak English as a 1st lang. might not be able to understand old English properly.

Now arabs have many slangs & accents which are very differnt from the original Arabic in the days of the prophet

its unfair to try to understand Qur'an and sunnah ourselves...

The right way is To find How those who spoke the original arabic understood the Qur'an and sunnah

So : We follow the Qur'an and sunnah With the understanding of Salaf ( companions & their followers )
if we did we 'd be all united , we'd be all on one way

but because everybody want to try *with his weak tools in arabic and deen* to understand Qur'an and sunnah <--------- For this reason we are not united and you find many names & labels , many bands and paths

May allay grant us his Guideness
Every thing you mentioned is true and we all agree to it. When there is ikhtilaaf, we should follow the salaf-us-saliheen or people who are of the older generations. the rulings on every single matter of the deen have their answers in the four schools of fiqh.

moujahid
05-28-2006, 02:08 PM
May Allah grant us Jannah

Abdullah4ever
05-28-2006, 02:11 PM

So the As-Salah As-Salaf are not the Salafi's? ? :?

muslim_friend
05-28-2006, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

Right bro. No better label than a MUSLIM

moujahid
05-28-2006, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah4ever

So the As-Salah As-Salaf are not the Salafi's? ? :?
No, they are two different. Salafi Islam is a recent movement that was started in SaudiArabia and India (at the same time)
Allahu'Alam who the Salafi's are. I have only seen a few.

Makky
05-28-2006, 02:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim_friend

I do know that the obligation to follow the messenger(pbuh) is mentioned in the Qur'an, but regarding the salaf, i don't have a clue.. Is there such a verse?

Thank you everyone for the patience to answer my earlier question. May Allah reward you. :):)

jazak allah khair

Salaf : are the sahaba * companions* & thier students *Tabea'een* and their Students * Tabe'e al tabea'een* .....and every person who follows this chain is on the right path

We don't follow everyone from the 2nd & the 3rd generation but we only follow those : the students of the companions & their students.

Makky
05-28-2006, 02:38 PM
No, they are two different. Salafi Islam is a recent movement that was started in SaudiArabia and India (at the same time)

Forget about labels and names but Give a look inside ..and Care about the meanings

If Salafies are Those who Follow the salaf therefore we are Salafies But if salafies are a band or a movment here or there then we should Know 1st what they believe , for example You can see everywhere many people say we are muslims but they are far away from islam the true path, thier women don't wear hijab & some worship tombs & some worship Ali....

snakelegs
05-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Is the obligation to follow the salaf (who came after the companions) mentioned in the Qur'an? this is what i really desire to know. Allah s.w.t Has mentioned the rights and wrongs of our deen in His book, surely He would have also mentioned the methodology of the straight path too,(since it is matter that saves from the fire). I do know that the obligation to follow the messenger(pbuh) is mentioned in the Qur'an, but regarding the salaf, i don't have a clue.. Is there such a verse?
thanks for raising this question cuz it's something i've wondered about too. hope it gets addressed.

- Qatada -
05-28-2006, 09:24 PM

The thing that most people need to realise is that the Qur'an and Sunnah are sufficient for us as muslims. But we as humans need living examples and role models to imitate to be successful.

If we never had any life examples, then people could make excuses and say that we can't handle all that is ordered to us (from the Qur'an and Sunnah) and hence - they may turn away. So these examples are also there to prove to us that a person can follow the Qur'an and Sunnah without feeling overwhelmed [because others have also experienced it and been successful insha'Allaah.]

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-28-2006, 11:43 PM

I understand following the sunnah of the Prophet(saws) and his companions is an obligation. But where is the need to follow the 2 generations that came after them? Is it mentioned in the Qur'an?

I ask this, because Islam was perfected during the Prophet's time. So how could the salaf who came after the companions, have brought anything new?

Shukran.

Simple because Allah was pleased with them all:

[Fath 48:18] Indeed Allah was truly pleased with the believers when they swore allegiance to you beneath the tree - so He knew what was in their hearts - He therefore sent down peace upon them, and rewarded them with an imminent victory.

Because they understood Islam, they knew Islam. They followed it flawlessly. Therefore it is only logical to follow them to be on the Straight Path.

muslim_friend
05-29-2006, 04:45 AM

Alhamdulillah.I am satisfied.I also found another verse, that refers to the salaf:

"And whoever acts hostilely to the Messenger after that guidance has become manifest to him, and follows other than the way of the believers, We will turn him to that to which he has (himself) turned and make him enter hell; and it is an evil resort."(4:115)

Learnt a lot from the thread.jazakAllah every1 for all ur good help.:)

Skillganon
05-29-2006, 07:26 PM
I fought we all are following the way of the salaf. Anyway, their are people who don't, the innovaters

Woodrow
05-29-2006, 07:45 PM
I do not think there are any of us, who will ever reach the point where we can not learn from others. All of us are really just beginers in learning what our true De'en is. Some of us are just a bit newer.

Fortunatly, in the past there were some people that had great devotion and learned much. Most of us for various reasons can not or will not devote our lives to studying and living Islam as the entire being of our life. However, we can learn from the writings of those that have. These writings are the Hadeeth and the Salaf. Us newcomers do have difficulty in understanding their role, at the moment it may be sufficient just for us to understand that they are important and we need to learn from scholars what they are.

S_87
05-29-2006, 08:44 PM

its not a recent movement. what happened in arabia was removing the shirk and bidah that had been put into religion. nothing new was started, rather imam muhammed bin abdul wahhab Rahimullah took out innovation and brought back islam according to what was in Quraan and sunnah according to the understanding of the pious predecessors. this struggle still exists today.
the enemies of islam accused this movement as bringing a 5th school of thought into islam but that is a lie.

- we use the understanding of the salaf not our own understanding

NJUSA
05-29-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm not going to begin to comment on a man who flunked out of religion school and mouthed off at his professors, that's between him and God. I will, however, comment on this: it distresses me to see people treat Islam like a full-time RPG, disconnected with the ethical and spiritual struggles going on today while trying to get period-appropriate costumes, memorizing lines, and perfecting a re-enactment of something that was never meant to be a role-playing exercise. Islam is a way of life, one characterized by submission to the Divine Will. I would argue that the Divine Will is better served by edifying the world we live in today, not trying to impersonate lives that were never our own, and have long since ended.

Nawal89
05-29-2006, 09:44 PM
^you have your own whoole version of islam dont you Njusa.

NJUSA
05-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Yeah, it's mostly based on this book called the Qur'an... heard of it? I could send you a copy if you'd like.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-29-2006, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NJUSA
I would argue that the Divine Will is better served by edifying the world we live in today, not trying to impersonate lives that were never our own, and have long since ended.

It so happens that these were the people whose lives Allah is pleased with as stated in the Quran. The Quran will lead you to the Prophet, and they both together make up Islam.

Second, the Companions are those whom Allah is pleased with, and therefore it is only logical to follow them to be on the Straight Path because they followed the Prophet (SAW) perfectly, and therefore worshipped Allah perfectly.

"The best of my nation is my generation then those who follow them and then those who follow them." (Saheeh Bukhaaree)

"Do not revile my companions. By (Allah) in Whose Hand my soul is!, if any one of you spends gold (piled up) like (mount) 'Uhud it will not equal a pint of any one of them, nor its half." (al-Bukhari, Muslim, Abu-Dawud, at-Tirmidhi Ibn Majah, Ibn Hanbal)

"That the pint of charity any one of them might have given is better than a pile of gold the size of Mount 'Uhud if it is given by anyone who comes after them." (al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Hawa
05-30-2006, 12:14 AM
I'm not going to begin to comment on a man who flunked out of religion school and mouthed off at his professors, that's between him and God. I will, however, comment on this: it distresses me to see people treat Islam like a full-time RPG, disconnected with the ethical and spiritual struggles going on today while trying to get period-appropriate costumes, memorizing lines, and perfecting a re-enactment of something that was never meant to be a role-playing exercise. Islam is a way of life, one characterized by submission to the Divine Will. I would argue that the Divine Will is better served by edifying the world we live in today, not trying to impersonate lives that were never our own, and have long since ended.

using the lives of righteous muslims of old as examples on how to lead our lives need not be labelled 'impersonation' or 'role-playing', that is being plain old silly!
people love to differ for no reason other than to start an argument, if you do not wish to follow the example of the salaf..dont do so.. just do not try to make a mockery of those who do. I certainly hope when you speak of 'period-appropriate costumes' you are not reffering to the hijaab.. now doesnt THIS remind you of a man who flunked out of religion school and mouthed off at his professors, that's between him and God?

NJUSA
05-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Alas, I see far more khuff buying among Muslims than I see work to protect the environment, or the interests of children, for example. Many more Muslims can be found using miswak than calling for landmine removal and banning. Very few Muslims have taken up the task of battling illiteracy, especially compared to those calling for an internationally recognized "Halal" symbol.

NJUSA
05-30-2006, 12:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hawa
using the lives of righteous muslims of old as examples on how to lead our lives need not be labelled 'impersonation' or 'role-playing', that is being plain old silly!
people love to differ for no reason other than to start an argument, if you do not wish to follow the example of the salaf..dont do so.. just do not try to make a mockery of those who do. I certainly hope when you speak of 'period-appropriate costumes' you are not reffering to the hijaab.. now doesnt THIS remind you of a man who flunked out of religion school and mouthed off at his professors, that's between him and God?
You apparently didn't understand a word I wrote. If you care to respond, read it again, ask any questions you need for clarification, and then respond.

Hawa
05-30-2006, 12:27 AM
Alas, I see far more khuff buying among Muslims than I see work to protect the environment, or the interests of children, for example. Many more Muslims can be found using miswak than calling for landmine removal and banning. Very few Muslims have taken up the task of battling illiteracy, especially compared to those calling for an internationally recognized "Halal" symbol.

well had you put it this way there would be no misunderstanding you would there?
maybe you should re-read your post...gives off the wrong impression

NJUSA
05-30-2006, 12:35 AM
That was an elaboration, not a restatement. The main statement was contained in the first post, the elaboration in the second. If I were to make this a three paragraph essay, my next post would make a conclusion. It could be simplified even more by simply reading the second paragraph of my first post, which in standard essay format, exposes the theme that I elaborate upon in subsequent sentences and my second post. Now, would you like a third paragraph as a conclusion?

Hawa
05-30-2006, 04:03 AM
no dear a conclusion is not necessary..nor is there any reason to be rude
you've made your point now why dont you take your bleeding heart and call for landmine removal? im sure your eloquence can be used for something other than drudgery

Mawaddah
05-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Yeah, it's mostly based on this book called the Qur'an... heard of it? I could send you a copy if you'd like.
Doesnt sound like that from things i've heard you saying. Maybe you should check again.

NJUSA
05-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Hawa, Mawaddah, the time has come for me to say Asalaamu alaikum to the both of you.

S_87
05-30-2006, 12:30 PM

ahah but see how so many people twist things to suit their needs. look at grave woshipping for example. say it is shirk to a person who does so theyll bring you an ayah from the Quraan supposedly allowing grave worshipping. the same goes for all these different things people think to be part of islam.

so follow the islam that suits your own desires of follow the islam we are supposed to follow?

I'm not going to begin to comment on a man who flunked out of religion school and mouthed off at his professors,
and if that was aimed at my post you are so totally wrong.

NJUSA
05-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Amani:
Asalaamu alaikum.

S_87
05-31-2006, 11:56 AM
Amani:
Asalaamu alaikum.

wa alaikum salam njusa

Makky
05-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Sister NJUSA ...

There is no Contradiction! But just Think deeply

Do you brush your teeth everyday?!
We all Do so but we Don't see that contradicting landmine removal

What if we use miswak ( which is Beneficial - sceintifically discovered- ) and think together about the issue of landmine removal , batteling illiteracy etc..

Why we always Mix issues ??????

- Qatada -
05-31-2006, 04:18 PM

I agree with brother bin saladin. I also think that most of us waste our time arguing among ourselves, when all we have to do is obey Allaah Almighty and his beloved Messenger Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him.)

And obey Allah and His Messenger; and fall into no disputes, lest ye lose heart and your power depart; and be patient and persevering: For Allah is with those who patiently persevere: (8:46)

NJUSA
05-31-2006, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bin saladin
Sister NJUSA ...

There is no Contradiction! But just Think deeply

Do you brush your teeth everyday?!
We all Do so but we Don't see that contradicting landmine removal

What if we use miswak ( which is Beneficial - sceintifically discovered- ) and think together about the issue of landmine removal , batteling illiteracy etc..

Why we always Mix issues ??????
Brother bin Saladin:
Asalaamu alaikum.

Makky
06-01-2006, 03:34 AM
Brother bin Saladin:
Asalaamu alaikum.
Subhan Allah?????????

wa Alaykum assalam Sister NJUSA

insha Allah I hope there is no misunderstanding

May Allah Guide me and everyone here to his way ameeen

saad52988
06-01-2006, 04:39 AM
salaam,
we should follow what the scholars of our ummat decides. we should follow the ijtmaa of the ummat(decisions of the ummat).
yes we should follow them.
just my 2cents.
wasalaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.