/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Comoros will defend Islam'

babagrr
05-28-2006, 11:29 AM
27/05/2006 18:35 - (South-Africa)

Moroni - The newly elected president of the Comoros Islands has vowed to fight terrorism and defend the traditions of Islam in an inauguration marking the
islands' first peaceful handover of power in three decades of independence.

Ahmed Abdallah Mohamed Sambi - nicknamed "Ayatollah" because of his religious schooling in Iran - was elected with 58% of the vote last week.

The poll was deemed free and fair by international observers.

"I swear by God to guarantee that the constitution is respected," said Sambi, wearing his trademark green turban, at Friday night's ceremony.

"I will fight against terrorism and organised crime," he said.

Sambi is from the second largest island of Comoros, Anjouan. It is the island's turn to take the presidency in a rotating system intended to restore stability
to the fractious archipelago.

The islands, which lie in the Indian Ocean between Madagascar and Mozambique, have had 19 coups or coup attempts since independence from France in 1975.
Four of the attempts involved French mercenary Bob Denard.

AU force crucial in keeping peace

Outgoing president Azaly Assoumani - who took power in a coup in 1999 before being elected in 2002 - was present at the inauguration ceremony and even apologised
for past mistakes.

"I ask pardon for any mistakes I may have committed in the exercise of my functions and for the grave decisions I had to take," he said.

Analysts said an African Union force of over 1 000 soldiers was crucial in keeping the peace on the May 14 polling day.

A former parliamentarian and keen basketball player, Sambi won support with campaign pledges to end corruption and build brick houses for Comorans living
in straw shacks.

His critics accuse him of harbouring militant Islamist views.

Sambi denies the charge.

On Friday, however, he said he would defend Islamic traditions. About 98% of the islands' 670 000 people are Sunni Muslims.

Asked by journalists if he was an Islamist, he replied: "If being an Islamist means defending the values and traditions of my country, then I am an Islamist."

Source URL:
http://www.news24.com/News24/Africa/News/0,,2-11-1447_1940697,00.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
05-29-2006, 04:57 AM
Suddenly I remembered my Comorian roomate Ishaka. Comorians dont really look like African, I think they're mixed people.

Joe98
05-29-2006, 11:56 PM
They had a free and fair election.

Now they are free to trade with America :)

Skillganon
05-30-2006, 12:06 AM
I really don't need for now they had a "free and fair election they can trade with america" meant to mean. So did palestine !

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.