/* */

PDA

View Full Version : what happened to the Salam?

Hawa
05-29-2006, 02:39 AM
I've been wondering for a time being what happened to this beautiful greeting?
Is it not mandatory (and rightly so) to say :sl: to a fellow muslim when you see one? and is it not obligatory to say "wa alykum salaam" when a muslim greets you so?
Its not only Islamic but its common courtesy to reply when someone greets you ESPECIALLY if that person is saying peace be with you!
I know that the angels will take my salaam if man wont however its very tiresome to be saying the salaam to people time and time again when they so stupidly refuse to respond!

One more thing before im done ranting.. I have just about had it with muslim sisters and attitude!
be it the good old 'holier than thou' attitude, or the 'im a naked muslim sister so what?' attitude... its unnecessary, foolish and not to mention downright annoying!
you wanna wear a jilbaab mashallah good for you..must you treat others condescendingly?
you feel guilty because your under-dressed for a muslim lady and im not..must you harbour ill feelings towards me?
We can all do without the tensions in mosques and lectures we attend if we all not look at each other and pass judgement..sisters lets drop the attitude its very childish!

These are two issues that seriously need to be addressed..please dont delete my topic :happy:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Looking4Peace
05-29-2006, 02:45 AM
Salam

i always forget, yes shame on me:yawn:

but i agree with what you said, but from my personal experience with those who have attitude on this thread, the brothers have been alot nastier, if you read my last few posts you will know what i mean. Everyone should stop judging others and worry about themselves, leave the judging for God please :heated:

Woodrow
05-29-2006, 02:51 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum Uhti,

Perhaps it is not out of disrespect or loss of coutesy. Perhaps Brothers and sisters on a forum, become comfortable and that becomes an ongoing group discussion even when it moves from thread to thread.

When you are in a living room, with many Sisters, would it be necessary to regreet each person every time you speak to them? In some ways a forum is similar to that living room.

However, I do feel that it should be said each time a time person joins in, our if it is the first time we reply to a person or if we have left a conversation and later return.

Yes I am one of the ones guilty of not saying Salaam as often as I should. Shukran for the reminder.

Hawa
05-29-2006, 02:55 AM
Im talking about real life..
ofcourse everyone acts haughty and arrogant on the net, its excusable since we're not really dealing with fellow humans but pc's :rollseyes (thats the best excuse out there), im talking about muslim sisters we meet and their attitude..they react as thought they've been attacked when they see another muslim lady..and not just the adolescent girls might I add

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hawa
05-29-2006, 03:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Asalaamu Alaikum Uhti,

Perhaps it is not out of disrespect or loss of coutesy. Perhaps Brothers and sisters on a forum, become comfortable and that becomes an ongoing group discussion even when it moves from thread to thread.

When you are in a living room, with many Sisters, would it be necessary to regreet each person every time you speak to them? In some ways a forum is similar to that living room.

However, I do feel that it should be said each time a time person joins in, our if it is the first time we reply to a person or if we have left a conversation and later return.

Yes I am one of the ones guilty of not saying Salaam as often as I should. Shukran for the reminder.

lool
not greeting one another on a website doesnt fall under the category of being discourteous, thats petty compared to real life!
and ofcourse its not necessary to keep greeting people in one room..im complaining about greeting someone on the street or when you walk into the mosque or wherever and people dont respond..thats where my grievances lie..
hope i've made myself clear..

Looking4Peace
05-29-2006, 03:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hawa
Im talking about real life..
ofcourse everyone acts haughty and arrogant on the net, its excusable since we're not really dealing with fellow humans but pc's :rollseyes (thats the best excuse out there), im talking about muslim sisters we meet and their attitude..they react as thought they've been attacked when they see another muslim lady..and not just the adolescent girls might I add
:?
ohhhh thought you were talking about this forum, but i will add that people should be more polite to each other on an islamic forum, some people get too comfortable and think they can talk to people in a harsh way, i guess they dont read the terms and conditions.

as for your concern, i dont totally get what you mean? are you saying that sisters who wear the hijab are rude to those who dont? if thats what you mean then yes i have seen this myself but at the same time have met the most sweetest polite sisters in hijab that never commneted about the way i look. It depends on the person i guess

Halima
05-29-2006, 03:19 AM
:sl:

Salaams not only a mandatory practice that is required by every muslim..but it applies as one of our rules here on LI.

'A Muslim has a right against his fellow Muslim in six ways.' Asked what were these, the Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
'(1)When you meet him, greet him;
(2) if he invites you, accept his invitation;
(3) if he seeks your advice, give him an honest and sincere advice;
(4) if he sneezes and praises Allah (God), bless him;
(5) if he falls ill, visit him; and
(6) if he dies, attend his funeral.'
[Sahih al-Bukhari and Muslim][/

"When a greeting is offered you, answer it with an even better greeting, or (at least) with its like. Allah (God) keeps count of all things."
[Surah an-Nur; 4: 86
]

http://www.islamicboard.com/faq.php?...duct#faq_salam

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.