/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry

Bittersteel
05-29-2006, 06:21 AM
Is Chemistry really necessary for studying Computer Science or Electrical engineering?I may drop Chemistry from my O levels.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Looking4Peace
05-29-2006, 06:28 AM
depends on the school, every college has its own rules, some which make no sense as in the school i attend where im almost done and realizing half the required classes i have taken have nothing to do with my major:grumbling

Woodrow
05-29-2006, 06:32 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum Akhi,
As Crystal4Peace already said, it will depend on the school. However, one thing you may want to check is if you ever plan to go on to Grad School, you may want to check into the requirements needed to enroll for an advanced degree.

mbaig
05-29-2006, 06:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emir Aziz
Is Chemistry really necessary for studying Computer Science or Electrical engineering?I may drop Chemistry from my O levels.
A'salaam alaykum brother ,

Chemistry is not needed if you are going to opt for computer engg

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
seeker_of_ilm
05-29-2006, 09:00 AM
:sl:

Well over here, you only need maths and physics to study those subjects. But for Computer science, its usually more maths required.

thc
05-29-2006, 04:11 PM
chemistry is regarded as the core science and is essential for many science degrees.

afriend2
05-29-2006, 04:39 PM
salaam,

^^^^ yeah unfortunately i have to take it for college!!

does anyone from experience (in college) know how difficult it is?

wassalam :peace:

seeker_of_ilm
05-29-2006, 04:42 PM

Chemistry from what I've heard is not too difficult. A simple matter of memorising, and learning to use the equations...

Physics on the other hand :hiding:

era
05-29-2006, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nazia
salaam,

yaaaaaaaa to difficult i heat chem:heated:
like physics:statisfie

afriend2
05-29-2006, 05:12 PM
salaam,

^^^ but sis i would have thought physics was harder!!

Allahu Alam....i reckon im going to flunk if i take chem!

Jerry
05-29-2006, 05:18 PM
both of them r hard courses:hiding:
I enjoyed the chem labs physics labs were just simply boring...:grumbling

Woodrow
05-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Strange thing about chemistry. A lot of it depends on your attitude about the course. In high school it was required as part of college prep. I loved the concept of studying it but hated to pure mechanical aspect of describing it. I loved to watch the effects of chemical reactions, hated doing the math to explain what happend. I did very poor in it in High School. I dreaded the idea of having to take in in College. Got to College, had 2 chemistry professors that were fantastic instructors. Ended up taking 2 semesters of it beyond my core requirements LOL

Sunflower
05-29-2006, 05:39 PM
i did chemistry AS last year but dropped it this year coz it was doing my head in...for me it was hard eventhough i enjoyed it.. others i no hated it bt found it easy...but ultimatley u should only choose to do the subject if u think u will enjoy it even if it is a bit hard coz then u can work around that by getting help...but if u choose a subject u hate well...then ull be in a tight spot!!

gladTidings
05-29-2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by nazia
salaam,

wassalam
Im guessing your still in high school, doing GCSEs? I hated chemistry at GCSE (mainly because of my teacher) but i still ended up choosing it at AS level. At A level you learn it in alot more depth, and ive found its very interesting and enjoyable (having a brilliant teacher helped). However my friends disagree :P

How difficult you find it depends on the amount of effort you are prepared to put into the subject. If your prepared to put the work in, it will be more rewarding and so you'll enjoy it alot more...

shudnt_have
05-30-2006, 03:58 AM
well...........hmmmmmmm..

biochemistry or organic chemistry.[about living]..i dont think i can associate any of them with Computer Engineer..[no living]

The difference btwn these two topics are like sky and the earth....

forgive me if i cant see any connection..:sister:

Ruenz
05-30-2006, 04:10 AM
i hate chemistry
and its not required for Compter scinence and Eletrical engineering

zqamar49181
05-30-2006, 04:47 AM
assalamualiakum!

i think it will be better to have chemistry becuase in electrical engg u have to deal with chmistry in ur first year and also having chemistry will enhace ur fields in engineering i think u better keep it its not though just conceptual .......once u get the concept it will be like a piece of cake.insahallah by grace of allah............

afriend2
05-31-2006, 10:43 AM
salaam,

format_quote Originally Posted by Çhêrrÿ
Im guessing your still in high school, doing GCSEs? I hated chemistry at GCSE (mainly because of my teacher) but i still ended up choosing it at AS level. At A level you learn it in alot more depth, and ive found its very interesting and enjoyable (having a brilliant teacher helped). However my friends disagree :P
yeah im just in year 10 at the moment, but my parents want me to take chemistry for some reason. mashAllah im glad that you had a good teacher but i might not be so lucky.....

How difficult you find it depends on the amount of effort you are prepared to put into the subject. If your prepared to put the work in, it will be more rewarding and so you'll enjoy it alot more...
yeah i'll see what happens. i need to see if i'll get good grades in my GCSE, and if i do then i might give it a go for AS. although if its too difficult then i might drop it in the second year.
jazakAllah for the advice.

Allahu Alam

muzna
05-31-2006, 01:10 PM
salaam,

yeah im just in year 10 at the moment, but my parents want me to take chemistry for some reason. mashAllah im glad that you had a good teacher but i might not be so lucky.....

yeah i'll see what happens. i need to see if i'll get good grades in my GCSE, and if i do then i might give it a go for AS. although if its too difficult then i might drop it in the second year.
jazakAllah for the advice.

Allahu Alam
chemistry was undoubtedly my subject through school..if you know what i mean.never got less than A for it without having to try..however i found A2 chemistry somewhat annoying..not to discourage you but it really wasnt that interesting..it was still easy though.
i had a great teacher...but i think you should go for chemistry anyway, cause its a very important subject in terms of university requirements, almost every college asks for chemistry for subs in the science field

afriend2
05-31-2006, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muzna
chemistry was undoubtedly my subject through school..if you know what i mean.never got less than A for it without having to try..however i found A2 chemistry somewhat annoying..not to discourage you but it really wasnt that interesting..it was still easy though.
i had a great teacher...but i think you should go for chemistry anyway, cause its a very important subject in terms of university requirements, almost every college asks for chemistry for subs in the science field
salaam,

i feel quite bad since this is someone else thread...so sorry!

jazakAllah for the advice ukhtee. mashAllah youre really clever, chemistry is okay-ish for me...although i dont even find science interesting anymore. khalas, i guess my GCSE results shall determine what im going to be doing then.

muzna
05-31-2006, 02:07 PM
salaam,

i feel quite bad since this is someone else thread...so sorry!

jazakAllah for the advice ukhtee. mashAllah youre really clever, chemistry is okay-ish for me...although i dont even find science interesting anymore. khalas, i guess my GCSE results shall determine what im going to be doing then.

i think you should base your choices on something more than your results. for example, i crapped o level physics..knew nothing throughout and one month before my exam decided to get a private tutor and managed to scrape a B. physics was my worst enemy. however AL physics was the best thing i did for AL...totally loved it...though i just barely made an A at the end..it didnt matter cause i totally loved it...i miss physics..

afriend2
05-31-2006, 02:15 PM
i think you should base your choices on something more than your results. for example, i crapped o level physics..knew nothing throughout and one month before my exam decided to get a private tutor and managed to scrape a B. physics was my worst enemy. however AL physics was the best thing i did for AL...totally loved it...though i just barely made an A at the end..it didnt matter cause i totally loved it...i miss physics..
salaam,

right now im trying to base my future on what my parents want. although i may have people say to me "do what you want and so on..." theres no harm in trying to see if i can succeed in what my parents want for me....inshAllah whatever happens is in the hands of Allah ta'ala.

and sis im just wondering are you doing medicine??

muzna
05-31-2006, 02:20 PM
wassalam..
yes..i am doing med..how did you guess..
wow..you're clever..you have the third eye! the sixth sense!...just kidding..
what do you want to do in uni..love your chocolate cake

afriend2
05-31-2006, 02:32 PM
salaam,

yes..i am doing med..how did you guess..
because youre like such a smarty-pants mashAllah....inshAllah you'll become a great doctor.

wow..you're clever..you have the third eye! the sixth sense!...just kidding..
what do you want to do in uni..
clever...hmmmm sure i am. lol but i want to become a Madrassah teacher, so i guess teaching. my mum wants me to learn science subjects for college cos thats something she always wanted to do although she got married instead...so inshAllah i'll try and make her proud and get good grades.

love your chocolate cake
lol jazakAllah sis....*hides it away just in case*

muzna
05-31-2006, 02:34 PM
assalam...
well...cant you do both....can you get a college degree in a science sub and learn teaching? maybe there's a way to integrate both into your time schedule..
being in med school doesnt make me feel smart..quite the opposite..i'm like the dumbest in my class of 400 students

afriend2
05-31-2006, 02:41 PM
assalam...
well...cant you do both....can you get a college degree in a science sub and learn teaching? maybe there's a way to integrate both into your time schedule..
being in med school doesnt make me feel smart..quite the opposite..i'm like the dumbest in my class of 400 students
salaam,

erm sis...im not going to take science subjects for university! nooo way...i was just saying for college....i might not even go to univeristy and go straight into teaching a madrassah like some of my relatives have, inshAllah. and then maybe get married inshAllah too.

and sis, just being in med school makes you smart mashAllah! i know that with my brains i wouldnt be able to go anywhere near one lol, but alhamdulillah from the sounds of it Allah ta'ala has blessed you with soo much knowledge!

seeker_of_ilm
05-31-2006, 02:46 PM
salaam,

erm sis...im not going to take science subjects for university! nooo way...i was just saying for college....i might not even go to univeristy and go straight into teaching a madrassah like some of my relatives have, inshAllah. and then maybe get married inshAllah too.

and sis, just being in med school makes you smart mashAllah! i know that with my brains i wouldnt be able to go anywhere near one lol, but alhamdulillah from the sounds of it Allah ta'ala has blessed you with soo much knowledge!

Just curious...are you going to teach just like that...or do hifz/aalima or whatever...

Just wondering

afriend2
05-31-2006, 03:42 PM
salaam,

im doing Islamic studies at the moment with a Qu'ran teacher, and inshAllah in college i'll be doing more Islamic studies (advanced).

i'm doing part-time hifz too, will love to carry that on too inshAllah...

so with that i can actually teach the madrassah....my other relatives did the same...Allahu Alam, im still young so i dont actually know whether im going to change my mind in the future or not.

thc
06-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Asalamu alikum warahmatullahi wabrakatuhu,

A LEVEL CHEMISTRY IS REGARDED BY MANY AS HARDER AND LESS INTERSTING THAN GCSE CHEMISTRY HOWEVER IT IS ESSENTIAL FOR
MANY CAREERS.

lolwatever
06-29-2006, 12:30 AM
The requirement for engineering -all forms, incl software- here has always been 'Physics Or Chemistry'.. if you're doing comp sci, you mightttt find chemistry useful when you touch base on things like 'The Quantum Computer' in later years..

Personally i'd do chem if i got the option, its not that hard if you always keep upto date with study...

all the best
salams

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.