/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Progressing within a Corporate Environment

atha
05-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Assalam-u-Alaikum

I was recently hired at VWR International, Alhamdulillah, after almost six months of vigorous job searching. My superiors and colleagues are really nice people. On the first day, my supervisor herself came to discuss accommodations for saying my salat, which I think was a very a beautiful gesture. It’s a corporate environment and I intend to progress and develop within it. The atmosphere is really warm and friendly, Alhamdulillah. So far two noticeable things have happened. I don't shake hands with guys and usually guys offer their hand. So I always have to explain. One of the black guys was actually offended when I said "I don't shake hands with guys due to religious reasons". He didn't hear me well I guess and somehow ended up thinking that it was because he was a black. OMG. I mean that just made me feel really bad. Islam doesn't include racism. Anyways. I had a talk with him and everything turned out well. He had already talked to his muslim friends and realized that I had religious not racist reasons for my action. We are on good terms now, Alhamdulillah. Today this same brother somehow started discussing religious viewpoints with me. He commented about how an afghani was sentenced to death after he converted to another religion and left Islam. Now, I don't know how to answer him without actually offending him. He thought that killing a person due to religious views is hypocritical to do since Islam itself discusses about the freedom of will. I have already made another post in the political section titled "About the Apostates" where I asked some questions with regards to this particular issue. The question that I have for this section is as follows: Should I be discussing religion in a corporate environment at all? What do I do if someone else, a colleage, wants to discuss it with me? If I have started a religious conversation with a colleage and later find out that it might not be the best idea to explain all the details to this person, how should I excuse myself from continuing the discussion on some other day? Should I be excusing myself at all?

I also need some tips on how to excel in a corporate environment. I am the only hijabi muslimah in my company. I haven’t seen any other hijabi lady although there are other muslims who are working in this company. I really want to be able to move to the top, InshaAllah, since I am a very ambitious person by nature. So, would you kindly give me some tips on how to succeed in a corporate environment while maintaining my Islamic identity?

Thanks
Take care
Assalam-u-Alaikum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
atha
05-29-2006, 11:45 PM
I have already made another post in the political section titled "About the Apostates" where I asked some questions with regards to this particular issue.
Assalam-u-Alaikum

Sorry, this line shouldn't been here. I made the exact same post in another forum and copy pasted it here in order to more replies. So sorry about that. I tried to find out how to edit it but didn't see any editing link. So I just quoted it. How do I edit my post after posting?

Thanks
Take care
Assalam-u-Alaikum

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.