/* */

PDA

View Full Version : yusef islam..

M.I.A.
05-30-2006, 10:47 PM
aslaam alaaqum

anyone watch the program on him almost finished on the BBC.. maybe i shoulda posted earlier:grumbling

anyway he basicaly said the guitar was introduced into the west through spain by muslims, this much is true i think

so what ya recon allowed or not?

if this info is available elsewhere on the forum let me know an then the thread can be deleted... im checkin now anyway, thought id put this up for some feedback just in case it isn't

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
05-30-2006, 10:51 PM
lol i dunno what happened i messed it up

anyway there was a program on the BBC about him, he basicaly said that the guitar was introduced into the west through spain by muslims, this much is true i think.

so allowed or not?

MusLiM 4 LiFe
05-30-2006, 10:51 PM
i wtched lyk 5 mins n den i chnged it.. seemed quite borin :rollseyes

scentsofjannah
05-30-2006, 10:52 PM
:sl:

i did..he was awesome :statisfie ..May Allah bless him and continue to make him inspire and influence people ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
scentsofjannah
05-30-2006, 10:54 PM
i love the sound of the guitar :happy:

czgibson
05-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
anyway he basicaly said the guitar was introduced into the west through spain by muslims, this much is true i think
True, although its antecedents go back for about 5,000 years. The guitar is a descendent of the Arabic oud and the Spanish vihuela as far as I know.

It's the best instrument in the world bar none. Very easy to pick up, but very difficult to master. I've been playing for about 15 years, and you can see my latest model in my avatar.

As to the question of its permissibility in Islam, I suspect not. I've been told before that musical instruments are the voice of Satan.

Peace

M.I.A.
05-30-2006, 10:56 PM
aslaam alaaqum(posted this the first time but the post vanished:? lol)

should have posted earlier so more people could watch it..doh!:grumbling
he's done a lot in the uk and elsewhere... realy wasn't aware until today.

Woodrow
05-30-2006, 10:57 PM
I think it is a mixture of true and false. I am quite certain the Guitar was introduced into Spain by The Moors. Although many of the Moors are/were Muslim, not all were.

I can not think of the exact reference, but stringed music instruements are forbidden to Mulims. so I doubt if it was Muslims that introduced it into Spain.

Plain English, introduced to Spain by Moors during the Moorish invasion, but not necessarily by Muslims.

M.I.A.
05-30-2006, 11:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I think it is a mixture of true and false. I am quite certain the Guitar was introduced into Spain by The Moors. Although many of the Moors are/were Muslim, not all were.

I can not think of the exact reference, but stringed music instruements are forbidden to Mulims. so I doubt if it was Muslims that introduced it into Spain.

Plain English, introduced to Spain by Moors during the Moorish invasion, but not necessarily by Muslims.
its a shame.. he does put a lot into his songs. anyways will look into this tomorow if i have time i think. they also showed er...played part of a song he did with just traditional drums in the background..this was when he had given up music altogether...permissable in islam it was said

czgibson
05-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Greetings,
its a shame.. he does put a lot into his songs. anyways will look into this tomorow if i have time i think. they also showed er...played part of a song he did with just traditional drums in the background..this was when he had given up music altogether...permissable in islam it was said
We've had lots of discussion about this on the forum before, but they tend to get closed down by the mods. Essentially, the position seems to be this: songs with voice and duff (traditional drum) are permitted, anything else is not. Why this is the case is beyond me.

Peace

Woodrow
05-30-2006, 11:09 PM
From what I understand, Drums, cymbals, bells and flutes are permitted in Islam. However many people believe a Nasheed should be said with no Music. I've seen mixed interpretations about that. Some say that only applies to Nasheeds said in a Masjid.

scentsofjannah
05-30-2006, 11:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
As to the question of its permissibility in Islam, I suspect not. I've been told before that musical instruments are the voice of Satan.

Yusuf Islam wouldnt play it if it was from Satan...hes a deeply religious man...id like to think of myself as devout too and i also am not against it...what im against is... songs that have or might have a negative influence on people..containing sexual content etc..
personally i think it was a shame he left music (not the trappings) but hes coming back now..so all the best to him:)

peace

scentsofjannah
05-30-2006, 11:13 PM
btw is that an electric guitar u have as your avatar?

czgibson
05-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by scentsofjannah
Yusuf Islam wouldnt play it if it was from Satan...hes a deeply religious man...
Does he still play guitar?

Peace

scentsofjannah
05-30-2006, 11:16 PM
yep hes recording a new album :)

Aly
05-30-2006, 11:17 PM
aslaam alaaqum

anyone watch the program on him almost finished on the BBC.. maybe i shoulda posted earlier:grumbling

so what ya recon allowed or not?

if this info is available elsewhere on the forum let me know an then the thread can be deleted... im checkin now anyway, thought id put this up for some feedback just in case it isn't
thsi information is very new to me

M.I.A.
05-30-2006, 11:26 PM
yaay you found my first post... dunno where it went:?
thanks for the info i haven't realy heard many nasheed's an aint at 50posts so cant access the ones on the forum yet.. soon i hope, without spamming:X

realy trying to get away from mainstream music at the mo, thats why posted the topic.

czgibson
05-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by scentsofjannah
yep hes recording a new album
From wikipedia:

Yusuf Islam is currently preparing to release a new secular album. The name of the album is sheduled to be released in the autumn of 2006. The singer intends his new album to be a bridge between Western and Islamic cultures. On his return to the world of music, Islam says, “Much has changed, but today I am in a unique position as a looking glass through which Muslims can see the west and the west can see Islam.” It will be the artist’s first secular album in 28 years.
Should be interesting.

Peace

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-31-2006, 01:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Does he still play guitar?

Peace
It seems like he has gone back to playing it:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=yusuf+islam

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.