/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Smarties - Haraam

Ummah
05-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Asalaamualaikum

i wrote to nestle after hearing so much about the cochineal ingredient in pink and purple smarties. from the reply i got im now under the impression its not only the pink and purple ones that are haraam.

1713148B 31 May 2006

Dear Miss X

Thank you for your recent enquiry via email concerning Cochineal.

Cochineal, otherwise known as carmine, is probably the best known of all food
colours. The raw material for cochineal manufacture is obtained from insects
native to Mexico, but a number of extraction and purification processes have to
be gone through to make the preparation used for food colouring. Most of our
products have been on the market for many years and a number have become
household names. It has only been by careful attention to what customers want
that their position has been maintained. It is not without considerable thought
and extensive research that any changes are made to such a product.

Thank you once again for taking the trouble to contact us. I hope that this
reply answers your questions and that you will continue to enjoy our products in
the future.

Kind regards

Karen Short
Consumer Services
Nestle UK Ltd
Freephone 00800 637 853 85

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummah
05-31-2006, 04:11 PM
maybe i shud send another question, for a list of all items by nestle containing this ingredient.

Pk_#2
05-31-2006, 04:14 PM
JAZAKHALA

MusLiM 4 LiFe
05-31-2006, 04:14 PM
oh nooooooooooo! i love smarties.. the thingz dt r haram r da tingz dt i like.. lyk marshmallows.. juz found out it woz haram :'( oh well its 4 da best init :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pk_#2
05-31-2006, 04:15 PM
yerr fo da best..

But da PINK smarties anything else gosh anyfin!!

Umar001
05-31-2006, 04:18 PM
well everything seems to be haram not that im complaning Alhamdulilah I hope I get reward for abstaining from stuff man

Pk_#2
05-31-2006, 04:18 PM
very!

but das oki plenty more sweets in da shops :)

jzcasejz
05-31-2006, 04:19 PM
:sl:

JZK 4 da info...

Smarties was my fav sweet...no lie! :laugh: :'(

MusLiM 4 LiFe
05-31-2006, 04:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
well everything seems to be haram not that im complaning Alhamdulilah I hope I get reward for abstaining from stuff man
umm kinda agree wid u.. :rollseyes most tingz r haram but at da end of da day itz gonna benefit us init :)

afriend2
05-31-2006, 04:20 PM
salaam,

yeah ive heard smarties were haraam too.....astaghfirullah.

Allah ta'ala knows what is best for us...inshAllah sister think of all that will be on offer in Jannah.

wassalam :peace:

- Qatada -
05-31-2006, 04:21 PM
:salamext:

Jannah is forever.. this life is only temporary - thats wha u gota remember insha'Allaah.

Pk_#2
05-31-2006, 04:21 PM
WELL SAID

MusLiM 4 LiFe
05-31-2006, 04:22 PM
yup tru say sis :) we juz travellers in this world..

Pk_#2
05-31-2006, 04:24 PM
And the next life is soo much better..in heaven

InshaAllah das wer we all heading Ameen :)

Ummah
05-31-2006, 04:25 PM
ahhh if only it was JUST the pink ones. id happily sit there seperating them all!

but whats scared me is, the way Nestle worded that emaill was as if everyone uses it! so im thinking about things like MnM's now!!

Guys m Girls.. we gotta start a mission n keep a look out for this ingredient. anyone going tesco tonight? lol

Umar001
05-31-2006, 04:26 PM
Are we gonna have pig in the next life though?

MusLiM 4 LiFe
05-31-2006, 04:27 PM
i feel like havin some m n m's nowwwww.. :'( i hope dey aint haram :heated: :heated: plz say dey aint!

im goin dwn 2 morrisonz.. duz dt count :giggling:

- Qatada -
05-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Are we gonna have pig in the next life though?

With goblets, (shining) beakers, and cups (filled) out of clear-flowing fountains: (56:18)

No after-ache will they receive therefrom, nor will they suffer intoxication: (56:19)

And with fruits, any that they may select: (56:20)

And the flesh of fowls, any that they may desire. (56:21)

And (there will be) Companions with beautiful, big, and lustrous eyes,- (56:22)

Like unto Pearls well-guarded. (56:23)

A Reward for the deeds of their past (life). (56:24)

full surah translation:
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/056.qmt.html

Recitation of surah waqia (56):
original link: http://quran.jalisi.com/

Part 1
Part 2

Allaah Almighty knows best.

:wasalamex

Pk_#2
05-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Jazakhala :) u got yaself sum reps bro

MusLiM 4 LiFe
05-31-2006, 04:40 PM
jazakallah khair bro.. dt woz wkd :)

Ummah
05-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Ive emailed MnM company aswell.

expecting a reply within 2-3 working days inshAllah

Ummah
05-31-2006, 05:27 PM
i want some reps aswelll!

*sorry off topic!

yeah so teso, morisson, asda, sansbury, raghu's corner shop.. whatever the place.. i would be rllyyyy appreciative if u could check some sweets and get back to us. i would check myself but im house-bound until tomrrow. my last exam u c.

786rani
05-31-2006, 05:34 PM
why don't we right up a petition or something because she did say that the changing of the product needed consideration?
rani

Umar001
05-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Argh how about if we all jus eat dates, cos i am told one sweet is haram i move onto another finally get used to it after a month or so then i am told thats haram and its an never ending cycle

Woodrow
05-31-2006, 05:50 PM
Sadly most of the stuff that is being found to be haraam, was not haraam until the brilliant advertising people decide it needs a pretty image for it to sell. So then what could have been halal goes through a beautification process to make it beautiful and appealing. Candies are just the product this is most noted in. The dyes and artificial flavorings are not needed except for the greed of the corporate owners and the gullibility of the public. The name of the game is to make more money. to make more money sell more of your product. To sell more of your product make it look prettier then every body elses and then have a big advertising campaign to show how pretty it is.

Us Humans sure are gullible.

- Qatada -
05-31-2006, 06:06 PM
You dont have to wait for ramadan to eat them.

WELL I HOPE NOT, PLEASE DONT TELL ME U DO :hiding: :hiding: :hiding:

Who said its not allowed? lol

Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said:
"A household that has dates doesn’t feel hunger" [narrated by Muslim].

check this link out for the benefits of dates:
http://www.55a.net/firas/english/?page=show_det&id=81

Ummah
05-31-2006, 07:32 PM
i did abit of research and if you're looking out for carmine/cochineal and you see the number E129, Then that is the code for the food colouring "Allura Red AC" which is NOTTTT derived from cochineal/carmine. so im guessing if the company has used E129 food dye, then you are OK to eat it

Quote:
Allura Red AC

Allura Red AC, also called Allura Red, Food Red 17, C.I. 16035, and FD&C Red 40, is a red azo dye. It is used as a food dye and its E number is E129. It has the appearance of a dark red powder. It usually comes as a sodium salt, but can be also in the form of calcium and potassium salt. It is soluble in water. In water solution, its maximum absorbance lies at about 504 nm.
Allura Red AC is FDA approved for use in Cosmetics It is used in some tatoo inks. It is used in many products, eg. orange soda
Despite the popular misconception, Allura Red AC is not derived from the cochineal insect.

Source

SO E129 is an alternative used to cochineal i think. i doubt cochineal will be present if this has been used instead.

The E number for Cochineal/Carmine is E120

786rani
06-01-2006, 02:22 PM
well i just looked on smarties and it does have E120 in it!!!
rani

unknown_JJ
06-01-2006, 02:59 PM
JAZAKHALA

Nafiisah
06-01-2006, 03:15 PM
List of SOME haraam FOOD ADDITIVES QUOTED AS PER THEIR EUROPEAN CODES
E120
E140 E141 E252 E422 E422e E430
AND E431 E440 E470 E471 E472a,b,c,d
E473 E474 E475 476 (E476 NOT SURE SO WE ABSTAIN FROM IT)
E477 E478 E482 E483 E491 E492 E494 542 570 572 631 635
THE LIST GOES ON!
WOULD THAT THE PETITION SIGNED SOME WHILE AGO FOR A TRUE HALAAL GUARANTEE GIV POSITIVE RESULTS.I'LL TRY TO POST THE LINK,INSHAAALLAH
AAMEEN

Nafiisah
06-01-2006, 03:23 PM
To: Muslims worldwide

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Petition to Internationally recognise the Halal Trademark that guarantees a product which complies with the Islamic Sacred Law (the Shariah)

To Proceed:

Asalamu Alaykum. (Peace be onto you In the Name of Allah)

The Holy Quran (2:168)
"O you people! Eat of what is on earth, lawful and good..."

Halal is an Arabic word meaning lawful or permitted, for Muslims. Eating Halal is obligatory on every Muslim. The opposite of Halal is Haram, which means prohibited. The terms Halal and Haram will be used strictly to describe food products, meat products, cosmetics, personal care products, food ingredients, and food contact materials. Another term to remember is called Mashbooh, which means doubtful or questionable.

There are currently over two million Muslims in Great Britain, who should all be buying Halal products

Alhumdulillah (All praise be to Allah), Islam is presently the fastest growing religion with over 1.3 billion Muslims worldwide, (approximately 20\% of the world's population). We should be able to buy Halal products with ease.

Throughout the UK, USA, Europe, Asia and the rest off the world there are numerous Muslim organisations writing to thousands of manufacturers, trying to ascertain whether or not certain products are Halal.

Up until now there has not been anything that the consumer can easily recognise to distinguish Halal products.

Thousands of Mosques across every country have tried to compile their own lists of products. This has resulted in a dilemma for the confused Muslim consumer as Haram products have been bought by mistake.

The time has now come for national and international governments to recognise the Halal Trademark that can then be recognised by manufacturers and consumers alike.

Halal is a vitally essential requirement of our faith and the Halal Trademark Symbol has been designed as a simple and effective way of enabling us, the consumers, to instantly recognise which products are Halal, such as Foods, Drinks, Catering products, Household goods, Cosmetics, Toiletries, Perfumery, Pharmaceuticals, Meat and Poultry.

As Muslims we are a large consumer power and should demand from manufacturers the Halal Symbol, which is our only trusted guarantee.

If the Vegetarians can benefit from the Vegetarian Symbol, then why can't Muslims insist on a Halal Symbol? All Vegetarian products are not necessarily Halal; they may be animal free, but sometimes not alcohol free. Therefore, this is no surety that foods suitable for Vegetarian or Vegan consumption are also suitable for Muslims!

This further increases the importance for having a Symbol with which a Muslim consumer can identify, and feel secure of its authenticity and of it’s being strictly Halal.

In order for manufacturers to display the Halal Symbol, they will have to abide by very strict guidelines, laid down by Ulemas (Scholars), Muftis (Jurists) and Food Experts. However, this will not mean that the consumer has to pay more for Halal goods.

We need your “Urgent Support” to ensure that this most fundamental part of our faith is upheld. Together we can make it work and we will succeed Insha-Allah! (With the Will of Allah)

Help us by signing the petition. Which will then be taken forward to officially recognise the Halal Trademark within each individual country.

Please help this aim with your duuas and your active participation, by signing this petition.

May Allah reward you all for your efforts and time!

Wasalaam

More information can be obtained from the following sites.

http://www.halalconsumers.com/
http://www.ifanca.org/
http://www.uh.edu/campus/msa/articles/halal.html
http://www.alsafahalal.com/
http://www.eat-halal.com/

Sincerely,
The Undersigned

View Current Signatures

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Officially recognised Halal Products Petition to Muslims worldwide was created by All Muslims worldwide and written by M. Master (halalcampaign@hotmail.com ). This petition is hosted here at www.PetitionOnline.com as a public service. There is no endorsement of this petition, express or implied, by Artifice, Inc. or our sponsors. For technical support please use our simple Petition Help form.
Send this to a friend

sapphire
06-01-2006, 03:33 PM
When i lived in london the 'red' ones were said to be haram...when i moved here the 'pink' and 'purpe' ones were said to be haram........

i can remember the cuzzins from here and from london arguing bak on eid day about which was Haram........

thnx for tht will bear it in mind inshallah :thumbs_up

Ummah
06-01-2006, 11:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 786rani
well i just looked on smarties and it does have E120 in it!!!
rani
;) sis. jazakhAllah

SolaceinIslam
06-02-2006, 06:37 AM

I just sometimes wonder where these people get their ideas from - I mean, who thought of using some insect for colouring sweets:? :? :?

:w:

Malaikah
06-02-2006, 08:08 AM

er not to sound ignorant or anything... but why exactly are you saying tis haram?? is it becuase eating insects is haram? (btw is it haram? ive never thought about this before or ever heard of it)

Fatimab
06-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Alhamdulilah chocolate isnt my favourite so i dont really care lol

Take care

syilla
06-02-2006, 08:15 AM
er not to sound ignorant or anything... but why exactly are you saying tis haram?? is it becuase eating insects is haram? (btw is it haram? ive never thought about this before or ever heard of it)
me too...

i want to know too

Ummah
06-02-2006, 10:07 PM
try.. http://www.central-mosque.com/fiqh/fhalal1.htm

akulion
06-03-2006, 02:16 AM
lucky for me we have an exact smarties duplicate here in pakiland which is halal :D woo hoo

Woodrow
06-03-2006, 04:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SolaceinIslam

I just sometimes wonder where these people get their ideas from - I mean, who thought of using some insect for colouring sweets:? :? :?

:w:
Probably came about accidentaly. Most foods will contain some insect products. A few cochineal beetles mixed in would have produced the color. Probably took the candy makers a little detective work to discover what turned the candy red. Then they started using it.

Insects are actually eaten as food in much of the world. Grubs, Ants, grasshoppers and honey bees being the most common.

syilla
06-05-2006, 02:58 AM
thats why i'm asking...

as in Malaysia...is common to eat grasshoppers...(hehe but i never try to eat it...never had the chance)

Ummah
06-08-2006, 04:19 PM
i got another reply from Nestle

1713148C 5 June 2006

Dear Miss X

Thank you for your recent enquiry via email.

At present Carmine is used in the Pink and Violet Smarties. In the very near
future we will be launching Smarties using no artifical colourings. The Red,
Orange and Pink Smarties will then be the only three Colours containing Carminic
Acid or E120.

Details about specific products and the ingredients and additives they contain
can be found on the product packaging. Recourse to that information should
enable you to decide whether you wish to choose or avoid any particular Nestle
product.

Thank you once again for taking the trouble to contact us. I hope that this
reply answers your questions and that you will continue to enjoy our products in
the future.

Kind regards

Joanne Nudd
Consumer Services
Nestle UK Ltd
Freephone 00800 637 853 85
btw, im still staying away from them completely.

wa alaikum asalaam

Ummah
06-08-2006, 04:21 PM
my sister was asking a question, why is it that during the time of Moses (as) Allah swt sent down food from the sky which was described as being some sort of insect..if insects are haraam? i didnt know how to answer that because all i know about the story of Moses (as) is what i learnt at school (non-muslim school)

- Qatada -
06-08-2006, 04:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummah
my sister was asking a question, why is it that during the time of Moses (as) Allah swt sent down food from the sky which was described as being some sort of insect..if insects are haraam? i didnt know how to answer that because all i know about the story of Moses (as) is what i learnt at school (non-muslim school)

Allaah azawajal gave them salwa, it's a bird called a 'quail' in english.

Wathallalna AAalaykumualghamama waanzalna AAalaykumu almanna waalssalwakuloo min tayyibati ma razaqnakum wamathalamoona walakin kanooanfusahum yathlimoona

[2:57] And We gave you the shade of clouds and sent down to you Manna and quails, saying: "Eat of the good things We have provided for you:" (But they rebelled); to us they did no harm, but they harmed their own souls.

Ummah
06-08-2006, 05:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

Allaah azawajal gave them salwa, it's a bird called a 'quail' in english.

Wathallalna AAalaykumualghamama waanzalna AAalaykumu almanna waalssalwakuloo min tayyibati ma razaqnakum wamathalamoona walakin kanooanfusahum yathlimoona

[2:57] And We gave you the shade of clouds and sent down to you Manna and quails, saying: "Eat of the good things We have provided for you:" (But they rebelled); to us they did no harm, but they harmed their own souls.

wa alaikum asalaam

whatt really?? okay JazakhAllah... is Salwa is the Quail, what is Manna?

- Qatada -
06-08-2006, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummah
wa alaikum asalaam

whatt really?? okay JazakhAllah... is Salwa is the Quail, what is Manna?

I was trying to find the tafsir [explanation] to that.. if i find any info. i'll post it up insha'Allaah.

- Qatada -
06-08-2006, 06:12 PM

[Qur'an 02:57]

And We made the clouds to give shade over you [a] and We sent to you manna and quails. [b] Eat of the good things that We have given you.
And they did not do Us any harm, but they wronged their own souls.

[57a.]The Bible speaks of a cloud, clear and bright during the night, thick and gloomy in day time (Exod. 13:21), a very unnatural phenomenon to continue for forty years. The Qur’ån simply speaks of clouds having given them shade at some point in their journey in the wilderness, when probably the excessive heat of the Arabian Desert had become unbearable.

[57b.] The mann and salwå are the manna and quails of Exodus, 16th chapter.
Literally, mann is anything which comes to man without much effort (LL). In a saying of the Holy Prophet the truffle is spoken of as being mann. LL has the following explanation under the word turanjabßn: “A kind of manna; the manna of the thorny plants called by the Arabs the håj, and hence by European botanists Alhagi; according to Dr. Royle it is a sweetish juice which exudes from the Alhagi maurorum, crystallizes into small granular masses, and is usually distinguished by the name of Persian manna; a kind of dew that falls mostly in Khuråsån and Må-warå al-nahr and in our country, mostly upon the håj; the best thereof is that which is fresh or moist and white (Ibn Sßnå),
the mann or manna mentioned in the Qur’ån”. Some say it was honey. Salwå means whatever renders one content in a case of privation. It is a certain bird resembling the quail (LL). The mann and the salwå formed the food of the Israelites in the wilderness. According to Zj, it includes all that Allåh bestowed on them as a gift in the wilderness and granted to them freely without much exertion on their part (AH)

source: http://www.-----------/english-quran/ch002-97.pdf

Ummah
06-08-2006, 08:28 PM
JazakhAllah bro

hafizyunus
06-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Jazakallah for the information.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.