/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tears of the Sun/Black Hawk Down

Z
05-31-2006, 07:30 PM
has anyone watched either of these? although both are some years old, the messages of the movies and the direction are still very strong.

how true were the pictures? if you've seen either one, what are your thoughts.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NahidSarvy
05-31-2006, 08:05 PM
I watched Black Hawk Down and enjoyed it, but the entire time kept thinking, "When's someone gonna say something in Somali?"

Tears of the Sun was ok, I like action films.

A good film, though? The Constant Gardiner knocked my socks off, as did - to my great surprise - The Translator.

wilberhum
05-31-2006, 08:38 PM
I found “Black Hawk Down” quite disturbing. Some research that I did showed that it is factually accurate.

to my great surprise - The Translator. Me too! My low expetations caught me. I really liked it.

Muezzin
05-31-2006, 08:41 PM
I've seen Black Hawk Down. Ridley Scott did a great job as always, but it was a shame that the Somalis were portrayed as some sort of faceless dark horde rather than human beings.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
firdaw
05-31-2006, 08:52 PM
I hated the black hawk down that place which movie took wasn't somali and those weren't actually somali people they just made it up.

Muezzin
05-31-2006, 08:54 PM
I thought the (true) story took place in Somalia?

I didn't like how the... well... non-white army was portrayed either.

Muezzin
05-31-2006, 09:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pukandi baba
[post removed]
Yeah, but the way it's portrayed in the film is bordering on 'Zulu'-level racism.

Pukandi baba
05-31-2006, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Yeah, but the way it's portrayed in the film is bordering on 'Zulu'-level racism.

How long has the conflict been going on? it's still not resolved to this day - I feel sorry for all those innocents killed and who live in fear on a daily basis! I'd say they were nothing but barbaric.

As for the 'Zulu racism' statement i'm sure if they sent in African troops the outcome would have been the same, unfortunately!

Muezzin
05-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Ah, I see where the problem of this dialogue stems from - you're looking at it from the perspective of a viewer cognizant of the facts behind the conflict, whereas I'm trying to see what it looks like to viewers who are just watching the film as a movie. I'm trying to say, as a movie, it portrays the Somalis in an almost racist way, I felt. I'm trying to think of the effect it would have on a viewer who has just seen the film and not read the papers, as it were.

Sunflower
05-31-2006, 09:20 PM
i also didnt like the way they protrayed somalis in that film either and the only reason for this is that i have it from the mouth of people who are trust that the ways that somethings were protrayed in that film wasnt 'correct' but then Allah-Alam as one situation may appear as 2 different things to 2 differnt people

Pukandi baba
05-31-2006, 09:20 PM
Ah, I see where the problem of this dialogue stems from - you're looking at it from the perspective of a viewer cognizant of the facts behind the conflict, whereas I'm trying to see what it looks like to viewers who are just watching the film as a movie. I'm trying to say, as a movie, it portrays the Somalis in an almost racist way, I felt. I'm trying to think of the effect it would have on a viewer who has just seen the film and not read the papers, as it were.
Well i'm one to delve into my films :okay:

But l'm sure there's not that many who are ignorant of that fact that there was a war going on in somalia. Anyway the British won in Zulu here it was the opposite.

Z
05-31-2006, 11:57 PM
what about the rebels in tears of the sun? it was pretty disturbing what i saw when they went in to clear the second village. but it's true, there are such horrific minded people on earth today.

also, in black hawk down a kid with an ak-47 is left, whereas in tears of the sun a kid gets neutralised. i found that interesting. maybe black hawk down was trying too hard.

Angel
06-01-2006, 04:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah 4eva
i also didnt like the way they protrayed somalis in that film either and the only reason for this is that i have it from the mouth of people who are trust that the ways that somethings were protrayed in that film wasnt 'correct' but then Allah-Alam as one situation may appear as 2 different things to 2 differnt people
i agree i didnt like it either and thats not wat realy happened i read many papers and heard alot of talk from the somalians who live there and they were wrong about how they said they were barbaric besides if some one came to ur home and started attacking ur family and those u care for wat would u do u woundnt just stand there and let them destroy it would you :grumbling cuz i wouldnt !!!!

islamrules
06-01-2006, 07:24 PM
I feel your anger sis.

Americans soldiers always potray themselves as good guys (never wrong, never defeated, always victorious)
no offense to any Americans here it's just that i saw the film and it was really awful of the way they potrayed the somalians.:)

Asalaamu Aleykum

islamrules
06-01-2006, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pukandi baba
[post removed]

what makes u think that is what they are, and i bet u have never even met a Somalian person in your live cos if you did you will be crazy to still call them barbians and if you did meet one they may have an even worse opinion of your so called Clinton guy or his country.:heated:

so here is an advice for you
think before you talk!!:rant:

NahidSarvy
06-01-2006, 09:05 PM
One word: qat.

Luminous
06-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Puka, I find your comments highly insulting, calling somalis barbarians. #1-no one asked the clinton administration to stick their noses where it wasnt wanted, history shows he's more useful in an oval office than anywhere else. Americans have this mistaken and often arrogant attitude that they are the rulers of this world, sent to mankind to right its wrongs, when we all know that majority of problems in africa and elsewhere originated with the greed of likeminded men who only do things for their benefits. ie-war in iraq, better known as more oil in america's pockets. Somalis were indeed heroes in kicking out the americans as fast as they did, and the sad part is that 5,000 died, mostly women and children which the US army shamelessly shot as an act of revenge. Sound familiar? ie-the 24 women and children the coalition forces shot in iraq last november as retaliation to losing one of their own. So b4 you hail them as heroes, do a little homework and don't be so quick to believe CNN or Fox news. Only kids believe in santa clause.

AvarAllahNoor
06-02-2006, 09:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamrules
what makes u think that is what they are, and i bet u have never even met a Somalian person in your live cos if you did you will be crazy to still call them barbians and if you did meet one they may have an even worse opinion of your so called Clinton guy or his country.:heated:

so here is an advice for you
think before you talk!!:rant:
Erm, i lived in an area where the majority of them were Somalians.

I'm referring to the ones in somalia, They have an internal conflict (civil war) perhaps i was a little harsh in referring to them as barbaric.

To the best of my knowledge Clinton sent them in to try to resolve the situation, there are 50 Islamic countries i didn't see any of them rushing to their aid, did you? Same goes for the Bosnian conflict, how many Muslims were massacred there? But no intervention!!

AvarAllahNoor
06-02-2006, 10:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Luminous
Somalis were indeed heroes in kicking out the americans as fast as they did, and the sad part is that 5,000 died, mostly women and children which the US army shamelessly shot as an act of revenge. Sound familiar? ie-the 24 women and children the coalition forces shot in iraq last november as retaliation to losing one of their own. So b4 you hail them as heroes, do a little homework and don't be so quick to believe CNN or Fox news. Only kids believe in santa clause.

I did think they were trying to help, as for invading Iraq i wasn't in support of that.

Sister_6038
06-02-2006, 10:14 AM
ive watched black hawk down and erm well as much as I would love to say it was nothing like that...as i was only a kid when it happened....but a lot of my family were there...and as ever how they portray it in the "muuvvies" is nothing like how it was in reality....and for clinton being so kind and considerate for sending out his soldiers to work things out...he might as well have not bothered....besides we all know he had a hidden agenda....like they all do....

AvarAllahNoor
06-02-2006, 10:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hatshepsut
and for clinton being so kind and considerate for sending out his soldiers to work things out...he might as well have not bothered....besides we all know he had a hidden agenda....like they all do....
What was the agenda? It can't have been oil, surely!

Bittersteel
06-02-2006, 10:19 AM
I have the book of Black Hawk Down as well as the movie .Both of them rocked.the movie was really good and received a lot nominations.

Rangers lead the way!!!!

Sunflower
06-02-2006, 10:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Actually it probably was

Sister_6038
06-02-2006, 10:20 AM
do you know what im not sure...ive been told somalia has plenty of natural resources which are compeletly untouched as the somalis are too busy fighting over the bits of rubble on top

AvarAllahNoor
06-02-2006, 10:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah 4eva
Actually it probably was
They don't have oil!

AvarAllahNoor
06-02-2006, 10:39 AM
do you know what im not sure...ive been told somalia has plenty of natural resources which are compeletly untouched as the somalis are too busy fighting over the bits of rubble on top
As far as i'm aware too many 'independent' groups are causing the conflict. I don't think there is a governmet that's recognised at present

Sister_6038
06-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Somalia uranium and largely unexploited reserves of iron ore, tin, gypsum, bauxite, copper, salt, natural gas, likely oil reserves
off the CIA website

islamrules
06-02-2006, 12:22 PM

I'm referring to the ones in somalia, They have an internal conflict (civil war) perhaps i was a little harsh in referring to them as barbaric.

To the best of my knowledge Clinton sent them in to try to resolve the situation, there are 50 Islamic countries i didn't see any of them rushing to their aid, did you? Same goes for the Bosnian conflict, how many Muslims were massacred there? But no intervention!!
Man you really live in your own fantasy world don't u!!
yeah and isn't ironic that presidents in America always seem eager to help other countries where they might gain something beneficial in return. so don't be clouded by the so called help they are always ready to give. do u see them helping other countries like uganda or other African countries where the help of americans will be welcomed gladly.
the fact is American Presidents let their greed guide them instead of actully helping people out of kindness and not because of the countries treasures.:grumbling :grumbling

islamrules
06-02-2006, 12:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Luminous
Puka, I find your comments highly insulting, calling somalis barbarians. #1-no one asked the clinton administration to stick their noses where it wasnt wanted, history shows he's more useful in an oval office than anywhere else. Americans have this mistaken and often arrogant attitude that they are the rulers of this world, sent to mankind to right its wrongs, when we all know that majority of problems in africa and elsewhere originated with the greed of likeminded men who only do things for their benefits. ie-war in iraq, better known as more oil in america's pockets. Somalis were indeed heroes in kicking out the americans as fast as they did, and the sad part is that 5,000 died, mostly women and children which the US army shamelessly shot as an act of revenge. Sound familiar? ie-the 24 women and children the coalition forces shot in iraq last november as retaliation to losing one of their own. So b4 you hail them as heroes, do a little homework and don't be so quick to believe CNN or Fox news. Only kids believe in santa clause.

way to go sis, totally agree with you.everything u said is true!!!!:)

islamrules
06-02-2006, 12:29 PM

that is true sis. Somalians can be very rich if they stop fighting and build their government. they can even have americans begging for their resources, probably that is why americans went to their county. rob them before they realise they have something valuable.

Angel
06-02-2006, 12:38 PM

As for ur info muslims do help each other , how dare u say muslims dont help each other, it's not like sikhs fight anyway for any cause, religion or personal but we don't need help because the only help we need is from Allah, the almighty, the merciful lord of all.

Maybe that is hard for you to understand because a strong faith like that can only exist in islam. Alhamdulilah

ps open ur eyes wide and explore the world with ur own brain and not always believe wat the newspapers or t.v tel u

Peace:)

Bittersteel
06-02-2006, 12:47 PM
there are 50 Islamic countries i didn't see any of them rushing to their aid, did you?
---- There were Pakistani and Saudi troops as well as well as Malaysians.

, They have an internal conflict (civil war) perhaps i was a little harsh in referring to them as barbaric.
MODERATOR'S COMMENT: Racist remarks will not be permitted since racism doesn't hold a place in Islam

AvarAllahNoor
06-02-2006, 01:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Angel
Sikhs fight anyway for any cause, religion or personal

Peace:)
At least it got this thread moving.

As for the Sikhs not fighting for anything, what exactly do you know about Sikhs and their cause? Your so self absorbed you don't acknowledge the happenings around you. Whatever us Sikhs fight for is of no relevance to this thread.anyway i was playing Devils advocate. I'm more than aware of why USA intervenes into matters where they will only benefit. So chill :)

afriend
06-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Black Hawk down is like.....WOWW!!!!

Loved ecery sewcond of that film. Not too sure about the other one.

Umm Yoosuf
06-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum members please lets all clame down and relax insha Allah.

mohamedislam
06-02-2006, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emir Aziz
[post was edited]

what makes u think no one likes somalians, is that your own opinion? cos if it is, u need to make it clear and not make it appear as a general belief.
by the way there is lots of people who like somalians and remember the somalian acting were not actually somalians, they were from another African countries. And any way how do you know that that was what really happened, only allah knows and sees all.

you are falling for their trick bro and thier make belief film, maybe that really happened but somalians do not act this way. And even if they did they had the right to do so, to protect thier loved ones. Americans were the invaders, they were in a place where they were not wanted!!!

Angel
06-02-2006, 02:17 PM
At least it got this thread moving.

As for the Sikhs not fighting for anything, what exactly do you know about Sikhs and their cause? Your so self absorbed you don't acknowledge the happenings around you. Whatever us Sikhs fight for is of no relevance to this thread.anyway i was playing Devils advocate. I'm more than aware of why USA intervenes into matters where they will only benefit. So chill :)
And wat do u know about somalians and their causes i kno 4 fact wat kinda hapened cuz i hav a somali friend whos family were dere at dat time and wat they did to them, most of her family were killed mercilessly and as for the sikhs having no cause dat was a statement 2 mak u reflect on wat u say about other pple and their countries. and as for the sefl absorbed thingy i thinki u got it da other way round MR. been trying 2 tel u dats wat u r 4rom da begining.

I am calm u need 2 cool down 2 and lay off the insults about somalians:)

Cheerio:) :)

Shukria
06-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Salam
Some peeps need to learn some akhlaq n not diss other muslims whilst believing some movie...FULL STOP..
Wasalam

islamrules
06-02-2006, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shukria
Salam
Some peeps need to learn some akhlaq n not diss other muslims whilst believing some movie...FULL STOP..
Wasalam
i agree with u 100% sis. we are not going to get any where if people insult other religions and countries.
:) :)

Muezzin
06-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Right everyone, please keep this civil and lay off personal insults as well as making sweeping statements about Somalis. I don't think it was brother Z's intention when making this thread for it to descend into a mudslinging match, but instead to discuss the films in the title.

Bittersteel
06-02-2006, 04:30 PM
you are falling for their trick bro and thier make belief film, maybe that really happened but somalians do not act this way.
you hell don't know what happened after the Battle of Mogadishu.I should have been more clear,Americans generally hate Sammies but then again whom don't they hate?
I will post more info on this battle later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...k_Hawk_Down.22

they desecrated the body of a dead Delta trooper.actually two.The remains were found later.If you don't believe me prove me wrong please.

Angel
06-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Right everyone, please keep this civil and lay off personal insults as well as making sweeping statements about Somalis. I don't think it was brother Z's intention when making this thread for it to descend into a mudslinging match, but instead to discuss the films in the title.
ur right bro but some pple here cant just stop insulting those who are well less of than them they hav to insult other pple and their religion i was meraly trying to mak him see dat he cant insult other ppl and shot his mouth about things he doesnt know and say ignorant stuff.. im not lookin for a fight no way dat is da last thing i wana do if it makes u happy i will stop but he has to apolozie for sayin untruthful things okie!:rollseyes

i will call in truce if he does :)

AHMED_GUREY
06-16-2006, 06:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emir Aziz
you hell don't know what happened after the Battle of Mogadishu.I should have been more clear,Americans generally hate Sammies but then again whom don't they hate?
I will post more info on this battle later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...k_Hawk_Down.22

they desecrated the body of a dead Delta trooper.actually two.The remains were found later.If you don't believe me prove me wrong please.
there was a reason why my people turned against the UN and US troops killing over 300 un soldiers 30 american GI's and 600 were heavily wounded

if you treat people who have self respect with disrepect then they will turn on you that's a simple fact what else did you expect?

the infidels got what they deserved

the were losing the battle so they started shooting at innocent civilians from the air just like in vietnam just so the death toll would be higher on the other side

but like every Empire in history america will also collapse and the islamic empire will return and the ummah will be functioning the way it's supposed to function and it will protect muslims around the world from infidels

ps BLACK hawk down movie was a joke i wonder why they didn't hire somalis to play in the movie is it because we are so goodlooking? and the audience would be cheering for us;D LOL

Salaam!

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 07:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY

but like every Empire in history america will also collapse and the islamic empire will return and the ummah will be functioning the way it's supposed to function and it will protect muslims around the world from infidels
Keep dreaming.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.