/* */

PDA

View Full Version : unforgivable sins

whitemuslimah
05-31-2006, 10:42 PM
salaams all,
have been pondering on this lately ...

are there sins that are unforgivable in islam, i.e. having commited an unforgivable sin a person can NEVER get to paradise? if so what are they?
authentic quotes or links to such appreciated.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
05-31-2006, 10:53 PM
:salamext:

Surely Allah does not forgive that anything should be associated with Him, and He forgives what is besides this to whom He pleases; and whoever associates anything with Allah, he indeed strays off into a remote error. (4:116)

Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (39:53)

Hadith Qudsi 34:
On the authority of Anas (may Allah be pleased with him), who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) say: Allah the Almighty said:

O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great at it.

It was related by at-Tirmidhi (also by Ahmad ibn Hanbal). Its chain of authorities is sound.

more hadith qudsi:
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...dithqudsi.html

So Allaah forgives all sins, except that anyone should associate partners with Allaah (which is shirk - polytheism.) And as long as someone does not associate partners with Allaah, if they die on that state - then that person will enter paradise insha'Allaah.

So Allaah forgives all sins if you turn to Allaah, as long as you don't join partners with Allaah Almighty. And if a person does join partners with Allaah, then the person may never be granted paradise. But if they repent, and worship Allaah Alone without any partners, then if the person dies in the state of monotheism on obeying Allaah Alone (without no associates) - then they will be granted paradise insha'Allaah (God willing.)

Allaah Almighty knows best.

:wasalamex

whitemuslimah
06-01-2006, 07:57 AM
what about sins like rape and murder?
someone told me that Allah never forgives those sins, unless on the day of judgement the relatives of the raped and mudered forgive the person who did it. but i have not got any proof either from qur'an or hadith ...

i'll keep researching

- Qatada -
06-01-2006, 12:52 PM

Those who invoke not, with God, any other god, nor slay such life as God has made sacred except for just cause, nor commit fornication; - and any that does this (not only) meets punishment.

(But) the Penalty on the Day of Judgment will be doubled to him, and he will dwell therein in shame,-

Unless he repents, believes, and works righteous deeds, for God will change the evil of such persons into good, and God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful

And whoever repents and does good has truly turned to God with an (acceptable) conversion;-

[Qur'an 25:68 - 71]

The people who:

- commit shirk (associate partners with Allaah)

or

- commit zina (fornication)

or

- murder a life that Allaah has made sacred - except for a just cause.

Then the punishment for them will be doubled on the day of judgement.

"Unless he repents, believes, and works righteous deeds, for God will change the evil of such persons into good"

However, if a believer does the crimes like murder of a life that Allah has made sacred, or commit zina [fornication] - then the believer may be forgiven by Allaah on the day of judgement, or the believer may be punished by Allaah in the hellfire, "Unless he repents, believes, and works righteous deeds, for God will change the evil of such persons into good"
in this life.

But after the believer has had their punishment, then they will be granted paradise after that - even if the believer was to be punished in hellfire for over thousands of years. Their final destination would be paradise, because they believed in Laa illaaha illAllaah (there is no-one worthy of worship except Allaah.) and that is the only ticket to paradise. If anyone was to reject Laa illaaha illAllaah, then they will never be granted jannah, because they associated partners with Allaah instead.

You should check this link out to download the lectures on the hereafter insha'Allaah:

http://www.islamicboard.com/akhira-h...al-awlaki.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslimah_here
06-01-2006, 02:23 PM
:sl:
IV heard it from many scholars that ALLAH will not forgive any muslim if one has not fullfiled the rights of thier muslim brothers or sisters or harm them in sum way unless they forgive u themself first.
if any one knows of any authentic hadeeths with reagrds to this id like to know.

FI AMANALLAH.

Halima
06-01-2006, 09:54 PM

Islam rejects the doctrine of original sin. No soul shall bear the burden of another. No one shall be punished on account of someone else’s disobedience. If however, one person encourages another to commit a sin, both are punishable. One of them deserves punishment for actually committing the sin, and the other deserves punishment for encouraging it.

Sins are of two kinds:
1. Sins that Allah forgives only with repentance.
2. Sins that Allah may forgive even without repentance.
There is only one sin in the first category and that sin is polytheism (shirk). Allah says: “Allah does not forgive that anyone should set up partners with him, but he forgives anything less than that to whom He pleases.” [Sûrah al-Nisâ’: 48] This refers to sinning without repentance. If a person dies as a polytheist, we know from this verse that Allah will never forgive him.
All sins, even polytheism, are forgiven with sincere repentance. Allah says: “Say: ‘O my servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of Allah’s Mercy. Truly, Allah forgives all sins. Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.” [Sûrah al-Zumar: 53]

All sins besides polytheism fall under the second category. Allah may decide to forgive them even if we neglect to repent for them. Know that if you avoid the major sins, Allah will forgive you your minor ones. You should take care to repent for all of your sins to be sure that you will be forgiven.

It is therefore important to know what true repentance entails. Sincere repentance has the following conditions:
1. The person must recognize that he or she has committed a sin and truly regret having done so.
2. The person must have a sincere resolve never to commit the sin again.
3. The person must turn to Allah in humility and ask for forgiveness.
4. If the sin had caused harm to someone else, the person must make every attempt to redress the harm.
This does not mean that if the person falls weak and returns to the same sin in the future, his or her former repentance is null and void. What is needed is a serious commitment in the heart never to commit the sin again. The doors to repentance are always open.
If a person repents with true sincerity and conviction, then the reward is Allah’s forgiveness. Repentance is a form of worship. Allah loves when His servants turn to Him alone for forgiveness. No one can forgive sins except for Allah. It is forbidden for a Muslim to seek absolution from sin by turning to someone else. That is outright polytheism.Confession of sins to other created beings is of no avail. One should not expose what Allah has made hidden. Instead, the sinner must turn to Allah in humble submission, seek His forgiveness, and place his or her hopes in the mercy of the Lord.

chacha_jalebi
06-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Allah (swt) forgives all sins, apart from shirk, but you gota repent proper 4 d sins u committed & den inshallah Allah (swt) will 4 giv u!! :D

Halima
06-01-2006, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
Allah (swt) forgives all sins, apart from shirk, but you gota repent proper 4 d sins u committed & den inshallah Allah (swt) will 4 giv u!! :D
Insha'Allah...we all have shortcomings and Allah(swt) forgives them all.

Truly, Allah forgives all sins. Allah is most forgiving, Most Merciful.” [Sûrah al-Zumar: 53]

Halima
06-01-2006, 10:19 PM

What I fogot to add..

It is related by Abû Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah continues to excuse and grant forgiveness to a person until he attains the age of sixty years." [Sahîh al-Bukhârî]

:w:

whitemuslimah
06-01-2006, 10:25 PM
fi_sabilillah and halima, thank u 4 the info. halima, if possible could u give a link to the website u got the info from, i would love to read the whole thing

Halima
06-01-2006, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by whitemuslimah
fi_sabilillah and halima, thank u 4 the info. halima, if possible could u give a link to the website u got the info from, i would love to read the whole thing

No problem sister.

http://www.islamtoday.com/show_detai...main_cat_id=11

Ghazi
06-01-2006, 10:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima

What I fogot to add..

It is related by Abû Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah continues to excuse and grant forgiveness to a person until he attains the age of sixty years." [Sahîh al-Bukhârî]

Seriously I'm in shock so say that a muslim who is 70 who has been sinning all his life decides to repent won't allah accept his toba.

Sohrab
06-01-2006, 10:38 PM
In theory the only absolutely unforgivable sin is Shirk as bros mentioned, if he doesn't repent before dying.

Other Big Sins which have been associated with "forever in Hell" in quran are "intentional unlawful Killing of a momin", "Riba i.e. Interest", and "a sin which encompasses totally one's life" as mentioned in Sura baqarah.

May be some other bros and sis can identify more places in quran with similar warnings.

As for the rape, it sure is a grave sin, and it being unforgivable means that since it involves the violation of rights of someother person, it would come under Huqooq ul Ibad (rights of people) and as we all know, Allah says that if He wanted, He would forgive whatever of His rights' violation, but will not forgive sins involving other peoples rights, till those people forgive the sinner willingly themselves. And for sure the sinner's going to pay for the crime if he's not been forgiven by the people.

One hadith i can put here, but i don't know the source, may be some of the bros and sisters would comment on its origin. Narrated by Abu Zar Ghaffari may Allah be pleased with him, that once he saw Rasullullah peace be upon him in white dress/sheet, and he said "whomsoever proclaimed that there's no god but Allah, and then died on this aqeedah, he will someday make it to Jannah." Abu Zar asked "even if he's committed Zina and theft? Rasulullah Peace be upon him said "yes, even he's comitted these sins?. Abu Zar asked again and got the same reply. When he asked for the third time, Rasulullah peace be upon him said "yes, even if he has committed Zina or theft, and this will be done even if Abu Zar is not happy about it at all".

(or as Rasulullah peace be upon him said)

Prayers

- Qatada -
06-01-2006, 10:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

Seriously I'm in shock so say that a muslim who is 70 who has been sinning all his life decides to repent won't allah accept his toba.

I don't really know akhi, but what if it means that Allaah azawajal continuously keeps forgiving the person until their 60 due to their mistakes. But after the age of 60, the person can ask for repentance - but their not really in the age of where they would have the desire to do major sins like zina, or murder etc.

whitemuslimah
06-02-2006, 08:32 PM
i don't know whether anyone is interested but i found quite good articles of kinds of sin. too many arabic terms though ...

http://www.central-mosque.com/fiqh/WhatIsSinInIslam.htm

What other kinds of sin are there, and how are they forgiven?
Kabirat is that which Shari’ah has strictly forbidden. And the punishment for that in this dunya is haad or ta’zirat or the punishment will come in Akheel. Kabirat pertains to that which is not forgiven, until a person makes tawba (repentance). Gumara sajira, or it’s called tharaba sajira, is forgiven through practicing of good deeds. If one commits tharaba sajira continuously, it becomes tharaba kabira. There are four kinds of tharuba (sins).

1.) That which will not be forgiven without tawba. Commission of this sin is like a kafir.

2.) That sin which has a possibility of being forgiven by tawba or by good deeds. These are tharaba sagina.

3.) Those sins for which tawba is necessary, but, if Allah wills, he can forgive without tawba. This is tharaba kabira, but it is tharab that transgress the rights of Allah.

4.) The tharab kabira that are connected to the rights of the society, other people. For forgiveness, it is necessary to make tawba and then restore the rights to that person and ask his forgiveness, and on conditions that he forgives you. This does not pertain exclusively to wealth. If one does not ask for forgiveness and is not forgiven, then on Yawmul-Qiyaama, the one whose rights have been transgressed will be given the good deeds of the transgressor as much as he pleases in accordance with justice. Or else the sins of the oppressed will be given to the transgressor according to justice. Allah may, of His own will, make the oppressed happy and show Mercy to the dhalameen (oppressor).

Hadith: Hazrat Abdullah bin Mas’ud narrates that a person asked Rasulullah (s.a.s.), “Ya Rasulullah, according to Allah, which is the greatest sin?” Rasulullah (s.a.s.) answered, “To associate partners with Allah (known as shirk), while He has created you.” Then he was asked, “Which is the biggest sin after that?” And he (s.a.s.) said, “To kill your offspring because he will eat with you.” Then he was asked “Which is the greatest after that,” and he said, “To make zinna (fornication) with your neighbor’s wife.”

As can be seen from the evidence provided, sin is a very major issue in the life of a Muslim. A Muslim strives to gain the pleasure of Allah and abstains from that which incurs the wrath of Allah. A Muslim begs Allah for His Guidance each and every time he or she performs Salaat (the ritual form of prayer a Muslim is commanded to perform five times a day), by reciting the last three ayats of Surah al-Fatiha (the opening Surah of the Holy Qur’an):

“(We beg of you to) Guide us in the Straight Path. The path of those whom You have favored. Not of those who have earned Your anger, and nor of those who have gone astray.”

Allah shows the Muslim the prayer for seeking His Guidance and avoiding His Wrath. The Mu’min is one who fully adheres to the Shari’ah and earns the Pleasure of Allah, thus steering away from sin at all costs. Al-Gawth Al-A’zam Shaykh Muhyyuddin ‘Abdul-Qadir al-Jilani (r.a.) has given many discourses on securing this path, and in Futuh Al-Ghaib (The Revelations of the Unseen), he states in the very first discourse:

Three things are indispensable for a believer in all conditions of life: he should keep the Commandments of Allah; he should abstain from the haraam (forbidden); and he should be pleased with the decree of Providence. Thus the least that is expected of a believer is that he should be without these three things. So it is meant that he should make up his mind for this and talk to himself about this and keep his organs engaged in this.

In conclusion, one sees that there exists a distinct difference between sin and mistakes. One should distinguish between the two and be aware of what his or her niyyat (intention) is before proceeding with an action. The Holy Last Messenger (s.a.s.) “Actions are but by intentions and every man will have but that which he intended.” It is best that one proceeds with the intention of pleasing Allah, and doing an action for Allah’s sake. Major sins are those sins in which a Muslim would never imagine of doing under any circumstances, but if committed, tawba would be performed immediately. One’s sins do not remove him or her from Islam unless he or she commits an act of kafir, unless their belief removes one from Islam. Allah says: “If I were to punish everyone for their sins, then NOTHING would remain in existence.” The worst sin anyone could ever commit is to ascribe partners with Allah, and this is known as shirk.

The evil which man does is either by his nafs (the unruly self which causes man to act irreligiously and cause his own harm) or Shaytaan. Allah is not happy with evil or bad deeds, and good deeds make Allah happy. And good is done by the help of Allah, but Allah only helps who desires good and puts forth effort. May Allah guide us all and forgive the sins of the past and the present and protect us from future sins. Aameen!

Muhammad
06-03-2006, 11:30 AM

The following links may be of help:

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=47834&dgn=4
You should note that it is not permissible for a Muslim to think of the sins from which he has repented as being too great, for the mercy, pardon and forgiveness of Allaah are greater than his sins. [Taken from the above link]
How can we repent from shirk?

Repentance

Also see:
http://www.islamonline.net/English/HadithAndItsSciences/ThisHadith/2005/05/01.shtml

whitemuslimah
06-03-2006, 12:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

The following links may be of help:

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=47834&dgn=4
You should note that it is not permissible for a Muslim to think of the sins from which he has repented as being too great, for the mercy, pardon and forgiveness of Allaah are greater than his sins. [Taken from the above link]
How can we repent from shirk?

Repentance

Also see:
http://www.islamonline.net/English/HadithAndItsSciences/ThisHadith/2005/05/01.shtml

the last link was brilliant, really helped a lot! thank u loads

whitemuslimah
06-14-2006, 02:13 PM
salaams all!
i submitted a question i asked at the beginning of the thread on live fatwa on islamonline.net and here's a response by Sheikh Muhammad Al-Mukhtar Al-Shinqiti :

Question
Are there unforgivable sins in Islam as with committing them a person can never enter Paradise? What does Islam say about rapists and murderers, do they have a chance to be saved?

Answer
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Allah says in Surat Az-Zumar: “Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (Az-Zmar: 53)

The Prophet, peace be upon him, also said: “Allah will accept the repentance of His servant as long as he does not breathe his last.”

All sins are forgivable in Islam if the person sincerely repents to Allah. Conditions of repentance are:

1. regretting the sin
2. determination not to commit the same sin again
3. if the sin is related to wronging people, then the third condition is returning things to their rightful owners.

If the sinner does not repent and dies persistent in doing the sin, then his judgment is left to Allah; if He wishes He could forgive him; and if He wishes He could punish him.

The thing that cannot be forgiven if the person does not repent of before dying is shirk or taking partners with Allah. Allah says: “Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin most heinous indeed.” (An-Nisa': 480)

Rapists and murderers are excluded from the mercy of God if they sincerely repent to Allah fulfilling the abovementioned conditions. Yet Islam promises that the bad deeds accumulated by the sinners will be replaced by good deeds if they were to repent and go back to Allah. Allah says: “Those who invoke not, with Allah, any other god, nor slay such life as Allah has made sacred, except for just cause, nor commit fornication, and any that does this (not only) meets punishment. (But) the Penalty on the Day of Judgment will be doubled to him, and he will dwell therein in ignominy. Unless he repents, believes and works righteous deeds, for Allah will change the evil of such persons into good, and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (Al-Furqan: 68-70)

Allah Almighty knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.