/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Model Michelle Leslie Says Hijab saved me from Rape

Ghazi
06-02-2006, 01:21 AM
:sl:

Burqa staved off rape: Michelle Leslie
Email Print Normal font Large font May 29, 2006 - 7:57AM

Michelle Leslie at Denpasar court house.
Photo: Lee Griffith

Advertisement
AdvertisementModel Michelle Leslie wore a burqa during her stay in a Balinese prison on drugs charges to avoid being raped, she says.

In an interview with New Idea magazine, Leslie revealed she wore the traditional Muslim headdress to protect herself from men inside the prison she feared would rape her.

Leslie said she awoke in the Kerobokan prison one night to find a man sitting on the end of her mattress, laughing and singing: "Jiggyjig Missa Leslie. Bali holiday. Jiggyjig".

"I knew jiggyjig translated into having sex," Leslie told New Idea.

"He was saying Australian model and stroking my leg. I screamed: 'Get out of here!'."

Leslie said she was aware another woman was being taken from her cell regularly for sex, and realised her fate would be the same if she didn't act.

"I decided to dress in the Muslim burqa. I chose to wear Muslim dress for one reason and one reason only - to protect myself," she said.

"When I put on the burqa, people were more respectful and I'm sorry if anyone is offended by that. But over there, it's a case of whatever gets you through. I think anyone else would have done the same."

Leslie, 25, was convicted of drugs possession in Bali in August last year following the discovery of two ecstasy tablets in her handbag.

She was sentenced in November last year to three months' in jail, which covered the time she had spent in custody.

The model was criticised by some Muslim leaders for wearing a burqa during parts of her trial in the world's largest Muslim nation, and then opting for tight jeans and a singlet upon her release from jail.

Days after returning to Australia, Leslie said she chose to wear the burqa because it was a "sign of public privacy and modesty".

"I am a Muslim and I do understand the significance of wearing the burqa. I should have thought more carefully about wearing it in that situation and I apologise for any offence I have caused. It was an extreme situation," she said at the time.

Leslie now says she is not a practising Muslim but was inspired by her time living with a Muslim family.

"I'd been living with an Islamic family in Sydney for about three years before I was arrested in Bali," she said.

"I thought their beliefs were very beautiful and spiritual. So I decided I would adopt those beliefs over there.

"Am I the most religious person in the world? No, I am not.

"Am I a Muslim? I'm not a practising Muslim.

"Do I pray every day? No.

"Do I speak to Islamic leaders in the community? Yes.

"But it's important that people understand there are different levels of people's beliefs.

"Everybody I met in prison has turned to religion in their darkest moments. It gives you strength. It gives you hope. It gives you something to hold on to."

Leslie insisted her embrace of religion was not a ploy for sympathy because her judges were Christian and Hindu.

- AAP

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SirZubair
06-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Good on her.

Insha'allah allah s.w.t will lead her to the straight path.

wa'salaam

syilla
06-02-2006, 06:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
:sl:

Burqa staved off rape: Michelle Leslie
Email Print Normal font Large font May 29, 2006 - 7:57AM

Michelle Leslie at Denpasar court house.
Photo: Lee Griffith

Advertisement
AdvertisementModel Michelle Leslie wore a burqa during her stay in a Balinese prison on drugs charges to avoid being raped, she says.

In an interview with New Idea magazine, Leslie revealed she wore the traditional Muslim headdress to protect herself from men inside the prison she feared would rape her.

Leslie said she awoke in the Kerobokan prison one night to find a man sitting on the end of her mattress, laughing and singing: "Jiggyjig Missa Leslie. Bali holiday. Jiggyjig".

"I knew jiggyjig translated into having sex," Leslie told New Idea.

"He was saying Australian model and stroking my leg. I screamed: 'Get out of here!'."

Leslie said she was aware another woman was being taken from her cell regularly for sex, and realised her fate would be the same if she didn't act.

"I decided to dress in the Muslim burqa. I chose to wear Muslim dress for one reason and one reason only - to protect myself," she said.

"When I put on the burqa, people were more respectful and I'm sorry if anyone is offended by that. But over there, it's a case of whatever gets you through. I think anyone else would have done the same."

Leslie, 25, was convicted of drugs possession in Bali in August last year following the discovery of two ecstasy tablets in her handbag.

She was sentenced in November last year to three months' in jail, which covered the time she had spent in custody.

The model was criticised by some Muslim leaders for wearing a burqa during parts of her trial in the world's largest Muslim nation, and then opting for tight jeans and a singlet upon her release from jail.

Days after returning to Australia, Leslie said she chose to wear the burqa because it was a "sign of public privacy and modesty".

"I am a Muslim and I do understand the significance of wearing the burqa. I should have thought more carefully about wearing it in that situation and I apologise for any offence I have caused. It was an extreme situation," she said at the time.

Leslie now says she is not a practising Muslim but was inspired by her time living with a Muslim family.

"I'd been living with an Islamic family in Sydney for about three years before I was arrested in Bali," she said.

"I thought their beliefs were very beautiful and spiritual. So I decided I would adopt those beliefs over there.

"Am I the most religious person in the world? No, I am not.

"Am I a Muslim? I'm not a practising Muslim.

"Do I pray every day? No.

"Do I speak to Islamic leaders in the community? Yes.

"But it's important that people understand there are different levels of people's beliefs.

"Everybody I met in prison has turned to religion in their darkest moments. It gives you strength. It gives you hope. It gives you something to hold on to."

Leslie insisted her embrace of religion was not a ploy for sympathy because her judges were Christian and Hindu.

- AAP
but now i heard that she is waiting for a contract in lingerie modelling

SirZubair
06-02-2006, 06:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
but now i heard that she is waiting for a contract in lingerie modelling
Never believe anything until you see it.

I hear alot of things,if i believed everything,i would have left islam a long time ago.

wa'salaam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
06-02-2006, 06:52 AM
well... she did make comeback in modelling...

and you can see the picture for yourself

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117....html?from=rss

Michelle Leslie makes catwalk comeback
March 23, 2006

JAILBIRD Michelle Leslie will make a triumphant catwalk comeback at Australian Fashion Week in May.

The A-list fashion extravaganza is expected to revive Leslie's modelling career, which despite soaring industry expectations, has flagged since her return to Australia in November last year.
Leslie's manager, celebrity agent Ryan Wellington, yesterday confirmed Leslie would be involved in the stellar fashion event but would not disclose which designers had booked her or for how many shows.

"There's been a lot of interest in Michelle but she's not a raffle ticket," Wellington said.

Gallery: Leslie's journey from jail to catwalk
In-depth: Life and death in Indonesia's drug net

Just a month ago, Leslie had reportedly been considering leaving Australia because she had been unable to find work and had been spotted making an application for a work visa at the US Embassy.

Advertisement:
She had been unable to secure a modelling contract and was unwilling to sell her story to the highest bidder.
Instead she has been focusing on a possible film about her time in Bali's Kerobokan jail, where she took to covering her head and face in the Islamic style of chador after being arrested for possession of ecstasy tablets outside a Kuta dance party.

Leslie has still not explained how she came to be in possession of the pills, even though she claimed to be innocent.

Rumours of bribes and police corruption have surrounded the case of the model, who shared the same prison as Schapelle Corby and the Bali Nine.

Leslie also rejected an offer to appear on the hit Seven Network show Dancing With The Stars because she thought it was "tacky".

Despite the possible film deal, friends have been concerned that her mounting legal bills and the debts incurred by her family to set her free mean she will need to find work in the short term.
With The Daily Telegraph's Sydney Confidential

SirZubair
06-02-2006, 07:41 AM
That is none of my business.

As far as i can see,she is still a Muslim,regardless of how she makes a living.

A good muslim or a bad muslim,i leave that for AlLah to judge.

Wa'salaam.

syilla
06-02-2006, 07:43 AM
not my business too...

i'm not saying she is a bad or good muslim..

SirZubair
06-02-2006, 07:49 AM
I know you never said that sis,and i never said that you did say it.

I simply said that I am leaving that for AlLah to judge.

And seriously,i think it is unwise for us to discuss a sister-in-islam on a forum,it is best to gather around and Make dua for her,rather than post articles of the bad things she is doing.

Wa'salaam.

syilla
06-02-2006, 07:58 AM
And seriously,i think it is unwise for us to discuss a sister-in-islam on a forum,it is best to gather around and Make dua for her,rather than post articles of the bad things she is doing.
which is the bad one? the jail or the modelling?

SirZubair
06-02-2006, 08:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
which is the bad one? the jail or the modelling?
What do You think i was refering to?

Wa'salaam.

syilla
06-02-2006, 08:56 AM
don't really know...

at least the 'news' that i post is telling others of why she is still in modelling...

Despite the possible film deal, friends have been concerned that her mounting legal bills and the debts incurred by her family to set her free mean she will need to find work in the short term.

SirZubair
06-03-2006, 07:01 PM

The Price Of Freedom

Michelle Apologises To Muslims

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.